Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-02-2011, 09:43   #1

Risk of Strong Winds & Heavy Rain: Thursday 3rd - Friday 4th

M.T's forecast for tomorrow Thursday:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.T. Cranium
Periods of rain will become heavy by afternoon (west) and evening (east) with strong wind gusts, temperatures rising to about 10 C. Some wind gusts to 70 mph possible in Connacht and Donegal, 50-60 mph elsewhere. Rainfalls of 10-20 mms can be expected; any snow earlier should melt rapidly.

Looks like we are heading into a spell of very unsettled weather over the next few days. While wet and very windy in parts today, tomorrow and Friday brings a risk of even stronger winds which could gust to gale force 10 in some western and north-western coastal areas as a depression rapidly deepens as it passes between Ireland and Iceland tomorrow afternoon.

HIRLAM wind forecast for 3pm tomorrow afternoon:

Storm force winds close to the Donegal coast with gale to strong gale force winds along western coasts; further inland, strong winds can be expected gusting to gale force at times, especially in Connacht and Ulster.

Friday looks to be another very windy day as a strong to gale force SW flow develops ahead (confluent) of a slow moving cold front moving down from the north-west.

Fax chart for Friday noon:

Some heavy and persistant rain also as the day goes on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HIRLAM 15hr 3rd Feb.JPG (112.9 KB, 1319 views)
File Type: jpg Fax 4th Feb 12z.JPG (92.7 KB, 1314 views)

Last edited by Deep Easterly; 02-02-2011 at 09:45.
Advertisement
02-02-2011, 10:01   #2

Would it be cheeky to say I could have written that having clicked met.ie? Rain is wet level forcasting
Thanks from:
02-02-2011, 10:20   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike65 View Post
Would it be cheeky to say I could have written that having clicked met.ie?

I'd not call what you have to say cheeky... but I would call it pointless.
Thanks from:
02-02-2011, 10:49   #4

That was my reaction when I saw this thread to be honest. We already have one down the page if you look, you could have bumped that.
02-02-2011, 10:58   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike65 View Post
That was my reaction when I saw this thread to be honest. We already have one down the page if you look, you could have bumped that.
I could have bumped it, but I didn't. That thread goes by the title 'Stormy Next Week'. It is now this week, so I don't see a problem opening a new one to deal with the weather potential this week. If you don't like it, go somewhere else.
Advertisement
02-02-2011, 11:18   #6
snowstreams

Looks like the prom in salthill could have some big waves at it.
This could be interesting to watch!
02-02-2011, 11:20   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowstreams View Post
Looks like the prom in salthill could have some big waves at it.
This could be interesting to watch!
Big wind in Galway here last night and today.
Thanks from:
02-02-2011, 12:24   #8

Yes its silly to start a new thread about a possible storm period this week, the other post started on the 28th jan was about the weather starting from today so it should have been bumped and keep everything under the one post, no point in having two about the same stormy period ahead.
02-02-2011, 12:31   #9
snowstreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfree View Post
Big wind in Galway here last night and today.
Thats true, it kept me awake most of the night. I forgot to check the sea this morning to see what it was like.
Advertisement
02-02-2011, 12:38   #10

Latest DMI HIRLAM still showing potential for strong to gale force winds along NW coasts tomorrow afternoon:

with very blustary conditions overland.
Attached Images
File Type: gif vind_nordeuro-28.gif (58.8 KB, 1354 views)
(3) thanks from:
02-02-2011, 12:48   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerohead View Post
Yes its silly to start a new thread about a possible storm period this week, the other post started on the 28th jan was about the weather starting from today so it should have been bumped and keep everything under the one post, no point in having two about the same stormy period ahead.
Sorry, do you actually have anything worthwhile to add to the thread? I have stated my reasons for not 'bumping' the other thread so go back and read them. Complain to a mod if it irks you that much.
02-02-2011, 12:51   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Easterly View Post
Sorry, do you actually have anything worthwhile to add to the thread? I have stated my reasons for not 'bumping' the other thread so go back and read them. Complain to a mod if it irks you that much.
Chill out DE, I just think to many posts on the same subject mean I might miss something of interest like the charts you post if there are two threads on the same storm.
Thanks from:
02-02-2011, 12:52   #13
Mongarra

My goodness, we are touchy. Anyway I appreciate the information.
02-02-2011, 12:54   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerohead View Post
Chill out DE, I just think to many posts on the same subject mean I might miss something of interest like the charts you post if there are two threads on the same storm.
But you didn't miss them? It is not I, but you who should 'chill out'.
02-02-2011, 13:21   #15
nacho libre

The Outer Hebrides are going to get hammered! Pity we couldn't see the winds that intense. Still it'll be good to have some blustery weather again after the nothingness of recent times
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion