Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Risk of Strong Winds & Heavy Rain: Thursday 3rd - Friday 4th

• 02-02-2011 9:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭

M.T's forecast for tomorrow Thursday:
    Periods of rain will become heavy by afternoon (west) and evening (east) with strong wind gusts, temperatures rising to about 10 C. Some wind gusts to 70 mph possible in Connacht and Donegal, 50-60 mph elsewhere. Rainfalls of 10-20 mms can be expected; any snow earlier should melt rapidly.

Looks like we are heading into a spell of very unsettled weather over the next few days. While wet and very windy in parts today, tomorrow and Friday brings a risk of even stronger winds which could gust to gale force 10 in some western and north-western coastal areas as a depression rapidly deepens as it passes between Ireland and Iceland tomorrow afternoon.

HIRLAM wind forecast for 3pm tomorrow afternoon:
    146114.JPG

Storm force winds close to the Donegal coast with gale to strong gale force winds along western coasts; further inland, strong winds can be expected gusting to gale force at times, especially in Connacht and Ulster.

Friday looks to be another very windy day as a strong to gale force SW flow develops ahead (confluent) of a slow moving cold front moving down from the north-west.

Fax chart for Friday noon:

146116.JPG

Some heavy and persistant rain also as the day goes on.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Would it be cheeky to say I could have written that having clicked met.ie? Rain is wet level forcasting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

mike65 wrote: »
    Would it be cheeky to say I could have written that having clicked met.ie?

I'd not call what you have to say cheeky... but I would call it pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That was my reaction when I saw this thread to be honest. We already have one down the page if you look, you could have bumped that.

mike65 wrote: »
    That was my reaction when I saw this thread to be honest. We already have one down the page if you look, you could have bumped that.

I could have bumped it, but I didn't. That thread goes by the title 'Stormy Next Week'. It is now this week, so I don't see a problem opening a new one to deal with the weather potential this week. If you don't like it, go somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Looks like the prom in salthill could have some big waves at it.
    This could be interesting to watch!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Sugarfree

Looks like the prom in salthill could have some big waves at it.
    This could be interesting to watch!

Big wind in Galway here last night and today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Yes its silly to start a new thread about a possible storm period this week, the other post started on the 28th jan was about the weather starting from today so it should have been bumped and keep everything under the one post, no point in having two about the same stormy period ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Sugarfree wrote: »
    Big wind in Galway here last night and today.

Thats true, it kept me awake most of the night. I forgot to check the sea this morning to see what it was like.

Latest DMI HIRLAM still showing potential for strong to gale force winds along NW coasts tomorrow afternoon:

146136.gif

with very blustary conditions overland.

Aerohead wrote: »
    Yes its silly to start a new thread about a possible storm period this week, the other post started on the 28th jan was about the weather starting from today so it should have been bumped and keep everything under the one post, no point in having two about the same stormy period ahead.

Sorry, do you actually have anything worthwhile to add to the thread? I have stated my reasons for not 'bumping' the other thread so go back and read them. Complain to a mod if it irks you that much. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Sorry, do you actually have anything worthwhile to add to the thread? I have stated my reasons for not 'bumping' the other thread so go back and read them. Complain to a mod if it irks you that much. :rolleyes:

Chill out DE, I just think to many posts on the same subject mean I might miss something of interest like the charts you post if there are two threads on the same storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

My goodness, we are touchy. Anyway I appreciate the information.

Aerohead wrote: »
    Chill out DE, I just think to many posts on the same subject mean I might miss something of interest like the charts you post if there are two threads on the same storm.

But you didn't miss them? It is not I, but you who should 'chill out'.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,533 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The Outer Hebrides are going to get hammered! Pity we couldn't see the winds that intense. Still it'll be good to have some blustery weather again after the nothingness of recent times

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

While bit of rain here this morning.

On a different note theres a good oppurtunity for people in Donegal to see the northern lights from tonight till Friday night although its going to be cloudy (so typical). Lets hope the clouds move away for a while.
    http://www.donegalskies.com/in-the-skies

• Registered Users Posts: 16,533 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Pangea wrote: »
    While bit of rain here this morning.

On a different note theres a good oppurtunity for people in Donegal to see the northern lights from tonight till Friday night although its going to be cloudy (so typical). Lets hope the clouds move away for a while.
    http://www.donegalskies.com/in-the-skies

If you do happen to see them. please take a few snaps of them for the rest of us if you can:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

If you do happen to see them. please take a few snaps of them for the rest of us if you can:)
    No problem, I just wish it was a nice frosty night with clear skies ,anytime theres an eclipse or something it always seems to cloud up. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

It really is typical, the minute something of interest happens in the night sky it gets cloudy, especially after the last few weeks of cloudless frosty nights.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Latest DMI HIRLAM still showing potential for strong to gale force winds along NW coasts tomorrow afternoon:

146136.gif

with very blustary conditions overland.
    strong winds up the irish sea as well DE

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Storm 10

fizzycyst wrote: »
    It really is typical, the minute something of interest happens in the night sky it gets cloudy, especially after the last few weeks of cloudless frosty nights.:rolleyes:

Yeah I missed all the shooting stars recently due to cloud its a pain in this neck of the woods to see anything of interest, should be very windy from tomorrow looking at those charts. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

UKMO going for some rough weather in their extended marine/shipping forecast:

Rockall, Hebrides, Bailey, Fair Isle, Faeroes, Southeast Iceland, storms or violent storms at first, risk Hurricane Force 12 winds until later Friday. North Irish Sea, northwest Shannon, risk storms at times until late Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Monkaa

Its now a category 2 storm....cant wait til more daylight images come in! Havent seen anything off the wall or exciting as it happened during the night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Monkaa wrote: »
    Its now a category 2 storm....cant wait til more daylight images come in! Havent seen anything off the wall or exciting as it happened during the night

Are you sure you're in the right thread? Category two off the west of ireland?!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

Are you sure you're in the right thread? Category two off the west of ireland?!!!

Was thinking the same :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Was getting excited there for a while !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I think there's no problem starting this new thread as it is a more specific time period than the previous one, which just stated "next week". It served its purpose last week, but now this one gives people a heads up on exactly what part of "next week" we can expect the stormy weather.

Hell, it happens all the time with snow threads and nobody seems to mind!! wink.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Seen a Tesco bag flying through the air earlier. Wind must be mighty powerful to pick that up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

Nabber wrote: »
    Seen a Tesco bag flying through the air earlier. Wind must be mighty powerful to pick that up :)
    heading in the category 3 direction I'd say, best to stay in doors, wouldn't want any Tesco bags flying in my face or anything :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

A Dunnes Stores one would be worse. Difference is it's Irish.

Accuweather app giving excellent winds for next couple of days

e24ffad2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Latest TAF from Dublin airport

030500Z 0306/0406 24014KT 9999 SCT030 BECMG 0310/0312 20017G30KT BECMG 0312/0314 21024G38KT SCT010 BKN020 TEMPO 0314/0321 23030G48KT TEMPO 0315/0406 5000 RA BKN008 BECMG 0321/0323 25020G32KT TEMPO 0402/0406 25025G42KT=

Will be an interesting day in work... :rolleyes:

Advertisement