Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk of Strong Winds & Heavy Rain: Thursday 3rd - Friday 4th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

Chicken1 wrote: »
    28th Jan

I agree that we should applaud everyone on the board that take the time to post about the weather its only fair that storm 10 was the first to post about it and deserves credit also.

ya thats true .. well done to all involved for giving us the heads up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

severe and violent gusts here now....got worse in last 30 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Harps wrote: »
    theres barely a single election poster still intact,
    Doubt that has anything to do with the storm :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Whats is Like up ther at the moment Pangea?, any wind damage any where?
    Its very stormy at the moment, Cant see any major damage.
    One of my trees has broken apart and fallen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Pangea wrote: »
    Its very stormy at the moment, Cant see any major damage.
    One of my trees has broken apart and fallen.

Oh no !! Not one of your favourite trees again!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Chicken1 wrote: »
    To be fair it was started by Storm 10 on 28th Jan when he said it would get stormy from Feb 2nd/3rd, see the posting further down, but DE did not bump it just started this one.

If you'll allow me to explain...

I saw no reason the bump that thread as the thread title in the current time period would have been misleading. The thread was opened last week by Storm 10 hence the title 'Stormy Next Week'. However, last week's 'next week' is now this week's this week. I opened up this thread just to narrow down the potential that was discussed well in advance in the other thread and to be more specific on timing. This happens quite frequently on Boards.ie Weather as more regular contributers will know.

I neither claim nor want credit for opening this thread. Weather and weather watching is my hobby (a very obsessive one at that!) but I just thought it might be of interest to those who wanted to discuss and comment upon the current conditions and maybe even take warning from it and it certainly was not my intention to take credit away from Storm 10 who highlighted this potential first; although he himself was just repeating what he heard from met eireann, so the real credit must surely go to them! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I dont see what all the fuss is about, its standard practice on here to have a forecast thread for an event then to open a new one to discuss it as its happening.

Back on topic, still no real let up here. Driving rain constantly for over 48 hours now, wind gust has been averaging around 50-60km/hr throughout the day

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Nothing special happening here in Waterford City. A few 45km/h gusts with only 0.2mm of rain today and zero yesterday. Looks like the rest of the country have it a lot worse than us.

Data from www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭RoisinD

Any idea when it's likely to calm down ??

Lots of minor damage here but it's fierce... The horses are going mental in the field and more mental if I bring them in.

Had to tie all the hens to bricks too :pac:

Opposite end of the county to you (north west Clare ) and agree that it has been very stormy since Weds. Normal 40 - 50 mph winds but since yesterday the winds have been increasing. Had a bit of a lull overnight but since early this morning have had sustained winds of 65 mph with regular gust in the 70's.
    I see that even Shannon which is always way calmer is having gusts of 54mph and Evelyn has just said on the weather report that things are calming. Well they certainly are not here!

Think we are in our own wind tunnel here in Clare.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭morticia2

Still windy in Dublin, but maybe less so than this morning??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Winds were fairly strong here in Cork for most of the evening. They've really died off in the past hour though and its just a breeze out there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Drummer Mummer

It is very stormy here, worst I can remember in a long time. The tiles on the roof are bouncing up and down and frightening the life out of me. I thought the wind was to die down, it certainly isn't doing that here, if anything its getting worse!! Anyone tell me when its to get calmer? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Winds have eased, still raining quite heavy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It great isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

irish1967 wrote: »
    Jaysus, you are testing my Photoshop skills now Ian.

tordub2.jpg

*actually that turned out well... new desktop pic for me, me thinks:)

Thats exactly what i saw! haha :D... ( apart from it being closer to the phoenix park ... hehe , my mind doesnt like putting high populated places at risk ha ;) )

Oh ye.... T-103 days for my chance too actually see one!, tot id just let yas all know :)clap.gif:)

The wind is back down here, some serious gusting.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

mike65 wrote: »
    The wind is back down here, some serious gusting.

Just had a 58km/h gust here. The highest of this current windy spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Hooo-weee it's a-gustin' and a-blowin' here now. The rain hardly let up all day and it has turned much heavier in the last hour. The wind is howling and there are loads more branches down.

Hope everyone is safe on another tempestuous night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

yikes. that wind is crazy:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Serious wind in Arklow this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

yeah waterford coast is a blowin' harddd!!! swung west NW in the last few hours and as we say down here its "Cat out".:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

where's Iancar?, MT mentioned tornado watch in his latest update:eek:

last night was pretty fierce in Waterford city, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the windiest over the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭largepants

Living on an exposed hill in East Cork and I thought the wind was quite severe last night. It woke me several times. As I don't have my own weather station I'm wondering does anyone have any idea what speed the gusts got up to? Roches Point would be my nearest main weather station.

aboyro wrote: »
    yeah waterford coast is a blowin' harddd!!! swung west NW in the last few hours and as we say down here its "Cat out".:D

Don't put the cat out!

fizzycyst wrote: »
    where's Iancar?, MT mentioned tornado watch in his latest update:eek:

last night was pretty fierce in Waterford city, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the windiest over the last few days.

Last night was definitely the windiest of this so called windy spell. Highest average was 35km/h with lots of gusts in the upper 50s. Max recorded was 60km/h at 3am.

Data taken from www.waterfordcityweather.com

Would that mean that it would be similar enough to what I experienced where I live? I thought it seemed stronger but maybe I'm mistaken.

largepants wrote: »
    Would that mean that it would be similar enough to what I experienced where I live? I thought it seemed stronger but maybe I'm mistaken.

I guess Cobh would be close enough to you and they had a max gust of 90km/h

Cobh would be quite close as the crow flies.Thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

largepants wrote: »
    Cobh would be quite close as the crow flies.Thanks for that.

There should be a Midleton Weather Station on the Road, I don't see it now, so it must be offline.

Dependent on the wind direction and shelter, wind speeds and ferocity could be locally very strong.

My own station was showing higher winds than Cobh in the last few days and as I'm usually in a shelter spot I don't see the big winds on my graphs.

Also on IWN site Cork Airport was reporting similar wind and gusts as I was 45 kmh for instance yesterday: YET Cork approach was advising aircraft that they had cross winds of 35 kts and higher gusts ~ that's 63 kmh winds and not the 45 kmh as was seen on the IWN site.

From actually observing the effects of the wind, I've concluded myself that I was experiencing higher winds than was being reported by various weather stations, and EICK was reporting higher winds to approach than was on their IWN station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Station here has recorded gusts of above 70km/hr the last 4 days out of 5 and this morning the wind finally got the better of the weather station...
    attachment.php?attachmentid=146948&stc=1&d=1297083031

Advertisement