Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk of Strong Winds & Heavy Rain: Thursday 3rd - Friday 4th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Just on local radio now Salthill getting flooded as waves come ofer the prom

High tide is at 5:40 or so. There could be a good bit of flooding then alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Nearly flew away goin up the shop! haha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

Some damage in Dublin. Fallen trees, temporary boundary walls etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Not too bad here in Cork surprisingly. There is some wind there but nothing I'd call very strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

DarkJager wrote: »
    Not too bad here in Cork surprisingly. There is some wind there but nothing I'd call very strong.

Nope, 48kmh gust at max, a breeze. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

gbee wrote: »
    Nope, 48kmh gust at max, a breeze. :)

Its oddly warm out as well. Met seem to be saying that North and West will get the brunt of it so it probably won't amount to anymore than a normal windy night down here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

Just had to go up the fields there, and wow its wild out, a tree has come down and its absolutely lashing rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

6 one news showing storm footage after break :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Not as bad here as on the coast obviously but still pretty bad out there, wheelie bin blew over, some branches down and theres election posters flying about, nothing too serious thankfully.

Constant roar in the trees is impressive though, currently 70km/hr

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Gusts over 100km/h recorded at Belmullet and Malin Head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Its frightening out there at the moment.
    I stepped outside to see how things where and I was actually afraid something was going to hit me. Very violent! Defintely over 100km.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Over the last hour here I have had mean winds of 40 - 50km/h with gusts of 60 - 70km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Violent storm force 11 for us !! Yeah :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Been similar type speeds for the last 5 or 6 hours here in Waterford City, Average around 25-30km/h with gusts 45km/h. Hasn't really pushed to the next level yet.

Speeds from www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

Been similar type speeds for the last 5 or 6 hours here in Waterford City, Average around 25-30km/h with gusts 45km/h. Hasn't really pushed to the next level yet.

Speeds from www.waterfordcityweather.com
    yet........:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭eastmayo

my highest gust was 64 mph at 13 31 today,gusting up to 41 mph now

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

Vicious winds here in Dublin at the mo.... Very glad am indoors now for the rest of the evening, yikes! :eek:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

its dangerous out there tonight.

Australia managed to get away with no deaths :(

RIP
    A 45-year-old woman has died after she was hit by a falling tree in Dublin.

The tree, on Waterloo Road in Ballsbridge, blew down in strong winds just after 5pm today.

The woman was brought to St Vincent's hospital where she was pronounced dead.

The road remains closed to traffic.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/woman-killed-by-falling-tree-in-dublin-492116.html#ixzz1CvgfilEz

Makes me wonder should Met Eireann have warnings for falling trees etc. on their forecasts.
    Dont venture out unless you have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Nasty in Clare - has been so all afternoon...

No idea of wind speeds but I struggled to walk in the wind out in the fields at teatime and there's been branches and all sorts lifting off...wheelbarrows, wheelie bins...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

fizzycyst wrote: »
    yet........:cool:

the city is a totally different ball game to the coast right now.left work at eight and it was windy but nothing to write home about, got home and its howling, no idea of wind speeds but the green house roof is almost gone. have a bit of whistling soffit too which only starts calling when it really starts blowing:eek::eek:

140km winds given for Donegal, Evelyn said on the weather there.
    Thats hurricane force! Twas nice knowing yas :pac:

Scotland getting hammered.

as per RSOE, just a part of a large article in event description.

Scotland was battered by a triple whammy of hurricane-strength winds, torrential rain and driving snow today forcing the closure of schools and causing problems on roads and communications. The far north and north west bore the brunt of the weather as the storm tore in from the Atlantic this morning. And tonight Strathclyde police advised drivers not to travel unless absolutely necessary. One amateur weather station at Ness on the Isle of Lewis recorded a Hurricane gust of 91mph with more heavy weather expected tonight. Schools and many businesses in the Western Isles closed at lunchtime to prepare for the high winds and heavy rains. While the Northern Isles and Hebrides were facing winds of up to 90mph the central belt experiencing winds of 60-70mph on Thursday evening. Strathclyde police said that with severe winds and heavy rain battering the force area, more than 50 incidents had been reported to control rooms, including HGVs and vans blowing over, trees falling down and unsafe buildings losing debris.

aboyro wrote: »
    the city is a totally different ball game to the coast right now.left work at eight and it was windy but nothing to write home about, got home and its howling, no idea of wind speeds but the green house roof is almost gone. have a bit of whistling soffit too which only starts calling when it really starts blowing:eek::eek:

Has died down a lot here in the last few hours. Average only 16km/h, gusts 26km/h compared to 30km/h and gusts near 50km/h a few hours ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

irishbird wrote: »
    its dangerous out there tonight.

Australia managed to get away with no deaths :(

RIP

Horrible news, I was actually worrying about branches falling on me when walking home, didn't think a whole tree would fall. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭mac80

Just heard marine weather on http://irishsar.blogspot.com

Storm force 11 decreasing Severe Gale 9, Sea state High in North

Not a nice day to be at sea, lets hope none of the marine emergency services have to go out in it.

The weather is usually repeated just past the hour

Mac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

crazy wind out there today!! winds were so strong in Collooney today thought we might loose roof of building at work! had trouble getting car door open :D

Sadly my weather station sitting at the bottom of a glen is reading pretty mild :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Been awake for the past hour, the noise of the wind is like jet engines outside and I'm genuinely terrified !!
    Just waiting for the big crash as something hits :-(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Been awake for the past hour, the noise of the wind is like jet engines outside and I'm genuinely terrified !!
    Just waiting for the big crash as something hits :-(

Got woken up at 5.30 with loads of really loud bangs on the roof just above my room. Went out to check and my wireless broadband dish thing is hanging by a cable! Scared the **** outs me!

I'm up quite high in kilmacanogue and the wind is still really strong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

yeah still mental outside here. anyone reccommend a good handheld annomometer? i would love to get a reading when its really blowing hard.greenhouse is intact...................its just 4 fields away now!!:pac::pac::D:D

Advertisement