Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk of Strong Winds & Heavy Rain: Thursday 3rd - Friday 4th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Blowing hard here. Garage doors are down. Dreading the drive into college. Was back in Foynes last night in the woods. Branches down everywhere and very strong wind and rain. Boo!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Very windy here since before 7am, winds of 40 - 50km/h with gusts of 60 - 70km/h in the last half hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

aboyro wrote: »
    yeah still mental outside here. anyone reccommend a good handheld annomometer? i would love to get a reading when its really blowing hard.greenhouse is intact...................its just 4 fields away now!!:pac::pac::D:D

some anenometers pretty cheap on ebay (search for wind gauge )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

aboyro wrote: »
    yeah still mental outside here. anyone reccommend a good handheld annomometer? i would love to get a reading when its really blowing hard.greenhouse is intact...................its just 4 fields away now!!:pac::pac::D:D
    Thanks, you just reminded me I have one in the press, It's a bit annoying though because you have to stand there with your finger on the button...cue strange looks from neighbours.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Another stormy morning in Collooney, but definitely not as strong as yesterday evening... so far (all of an hour in the office ;)) Strike that, just as I type huge gust. Okay lets just say, gusts still strong but wind in general slightly less.

Some large puddles/floods on the back roads this morning. Mind you passed the Co Co out clearning one of them! Well done boys, you are on the ball :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

eskimocat wrote: »

Some large puddles/floods on the back roads this morning. Mind you passed the Co Co out clearning one of them! Well done boys, you are on the ball :D

They were probably looking for a lost pothole;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Coast road in Oranmore Co Galway closed as a roof has come off a house blocking the road, jez but its bad here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

42.5km/h btween 9 and 10 this morning up here in donegal town (waiting for 11am update !
    mind my house seems relatively sheltered

a new max for my weather station

boo-urns 11 am didnt beat it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

The wind died down overnight here but its picked up again, 55-75km/hr generally this morning. Persistent rain all morning as well, ME radar showing nothing over us as usual

Web_radar.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Had a Tornado Dream Last nite! smile.gif.... I heard sirens goin off and was like... " What?!, sirens?!, since when did dublin hav them?... ther must be a tornado near by!"
    I legged it up stairs to the window , and sure enough there was one in the distance!.... So i started shouting at everyone which way to run and to get inside! ha...

But then the wind from outside woke me up sad.gif... funny aye? wallbash.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

All this warm air is bringing temperatures up another bit, felt almost like summer out. I see its 14C in Carlow.

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Had a Tornado Dream Last nite! smile.gif.... I heard sirens goin off and was like... " What?!, sirens?!, since when did dublin hav them?... ther must be a tornado near by!"
    I legged it up stairs to the window , and sure enough there was one in the distance!.... So i started shouting at everyone which way to run and to get inside! ha...

But then the wind from outside woke me up sad.gif... funny aye? wallbash.gif

or was it a dream....

dubtor.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Looking out across Dublin Bay from Blackrock at the moment - the waves aren't exactly huge, but they're impressive enough. The wind is of course pretty strong.

The best bit is the squalls which you can see coming out from Dublin, heading towards Dun Laoghaire whipping up the water in their path. They look to be very narrow but you can clearly see the path they take as a mist is thrown up from the waves. Pretty cool.

z

irish1967 wrote: »
    or was it a dream....

dubtor.jpg

Add some crazy lightning to that and its bang on! haha:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Reports that the roof of B and Q in Athlone has blown off this morning :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Reports that the roof of B and Q in Athlone has blown off this morning :eek:

At least all the materials to fix it will be on-site already :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

t|nt|n wrote: »
    At least all the materials to fix it will be on-site already :pac:

Sometimes the obvious ones are always the funniest ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Its given up to 130km winds for North Connacht and Donegal today the weather report said.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Any sign of it stopping soon ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Just measured a nice sustained gust of 45kmh with a handheld, doesn't sound as impressive when written down, felt pretty strong to me.
    Have to drive to work soon, should be fun:-)

• Advertisement

Pangea wrote: »
    Its given up to 130km winds for North Connacht and Donegal today the weather report said.

Whats is Like up ther at the moment Pangea?, any wind damage any where?

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Add some crazy lightning to that and its bang on! haha:D

Jaysus, you are testing my Photoshop skills now Ian.

tordub2.jpg

*actually that turned out well... new desktop pic for me, me thinks:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Just back from the town again, theres barely a single election poster still intact, they were only put up a couple of days ago as well!

Lots of branches littered around the roads and footpaths but no serious damage from what I saw.

Really wish it'd stop soon though, two days of constant rain and strong winds now and its costing me a fortune for transport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭noworries

Kudo's to DE for starting this thread on the most significant weather event of 2011 (so far) despite the nay-sayers:)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Quiet_thought

Was sitting in my living room earlier looking out the window when the side gate of the house across the road just blew right off! I do not like this weather :(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

From RTE News:

Efforts are being made to take passengers off an aircraft at Dublin Airport after a gust of wind separated the airbridge connecting the plane to the terminal building.

The passengers had begun disembarking from Aer Lingus flight EI 235 from Gatwick when the incident happened at 1.30pm this afternoon.

In a statement Aer Lingus said: 'Flight EI 235 from London Gatwick, arrived on stand at T2 Dublin airport, at approximately 14:00, carrying 150 passengers.

'Whilst passengers were disembarking the aircraft, a freak gust of wind moved the aircraft from the adjoining air-bridge. There are no reported injuries.

'A number of passengers had disembarked the aircraft at the time.

'The remaining passengers subsequently disembarked the aircraft via a set of steps.'

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

noworries wrote: »
    Kudo's to DE for starting this thread on the most significant weather event of 2011 (so far) despite the nay-sayers:)

To be fair it was started by Storm 10 on 28th Jan when he said it would get stormy from Feb 2nd/3rd, see the posting further down, but DE did not bump it just started this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

yep fair play to Deep Easterly ;) , had people warned...

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

NIALL D wrote: »
    yep fair play to Deep Easterly ;) , had people warned...

28th Jan
    Storm 10 wrote: »
    Listened to the forecast this morning on radio and they said that it could become stormy from next Wednesday, anyone have any charts for next week. :D

I agree that we should applaud everyone on the board that take the time to post about the weather its only fair that storm 10 was the first to post about it and deserves credit also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Any idea when it's likely to calm down ??

Lots of minor damage here but it's fierce... The horses are going mental in the field and more mental if I bring them in.

Had to tie all the hens to bricks too :pac:

Advertisement