Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Very cold, Snow

• 02-01-2011 4:49am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

It will turn very cold from tonight (2nd Jan) but it will be mostly dry until midweek. After Wednesday there is a high risk of snow countrywide. Keep with this thread for specifics. It is not possible to pinpoint exact locations yet but the west and north are most at risk initially and then the rest of the country in particular the south. Temperatures at night will be below freezing between now and then. Hard frost and ice should return tonight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭bobsoice23

Oh joy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

bobsoice23 wrote: »
    Oh joy.

Oh joy indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭wurzlitzer

Darkman2
    Did you copy and paste that from the rte website?

Well we will all have to put up with it I suppose

I think now what ever the weather temperature wise we all have become more resistant to cold temperatures after the arctic ones we experienced before xmas

We should starting having vodka for brekkie mix it in the aul porridge

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

wurzlitzer wrote: »
    Darkman2
    Did you copy and paste that from the rte website?

lol! Sometimes I think they copy and paste from me. :p The forcast is as in the OP so. There is nothing I can do about it. Some people don't like snow and cold. Is it not better though to have weather to talk about? Yeah no water and no walking but it is nice to see all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,926 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I refuse to believe until MTC confirms... :D

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,268 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

At the moment, I am more convinced of the cold than the snow potential for eastern and southern counties, but the models are not really giving us very reliable projections of the details once the cold air gets established mid-week, so I think it's prudent to at least warn people of the potential for a return to snow -- which seems quite likely in Connacht and parts of Ulster by Tuesday night or Wednesday.

So far this outbreak looks just a little less severe than the first two were, but it's severe enough to be concerned about wintry weather returning after what has turned out to be a week-long break from the severe conditions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

At the moment, I am more convinced of the cold than the snow potential for eastern and southern counties,

+1 but what I am looking at for Southern parts is the potential for fronts to come from the South and perhaps effect Southern counties. I have little doubt there will be snow in the North and West. There will be little further East in the absence of frontal activity from the South. But that is just how I am reading the models. Perhaps I am completely wrong. I don't think so. Thanks MT.

• FYI

There is no countrytracks on BBC 1 today but the weather for the week ahead that usually accompanies it is after the 1110 am news on bbc1 this morning so about 1117am or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

It seems the runner front over Celtic Sea poses a threat to the south on Thursday. Any wobble north and it will be dumping down alot of rain/sleet/snow over the southern third of Ireland. The South of the UK stays mild for the most of the run and might see it turn to snow on it's back edge as it pulls away into the continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

I'm sick of this mild boring weather. Its kinda depressing :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

:mad: NOT HAPPENING :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

steveLFC24 wrote: »
    I'm sick of this mild boring weather. Its kinda depressing :(

i agree. bring back the cold

• Dan Corbett did that bbc weather for the week ahead and he doesn't agree and certainly wouldn't be using the word severe to describe whats coming this week.
    The artic door he said was only being slightly opened.
    He showed little or no precip for the week from showers in NI except for a mini cold front coming down which he said would be rain sleet and mainly hill snow.
    So very marginal in the UKMO view.
    The system to the south is one to watch.
    It was shown as all rain

I tend to agree [and who am I to diss the UKMO's opinion] because it is battling with a very modified polar maratime mix and is taking a very slow long meandering sea journey over the north atlantic [hence the fact that it has no ummph [pronounced ump fah-a colloquial for power] to fight the mild air in the southern feature, so snow on low ground for the very few flukey areas but mostly very wet stuff above 600ft in my opinion if at all.
    What the vast majority of people may see is cold rain.

Hardly severe.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,533 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It was obvious from the start that it was going to be tame compared to what we had going by the models. Also the ukmo and our own M.T. prior to the last cold spell were quick to give out warnings, they didn't this time which indicates to me they didn't think it would be as severe.

i think what we'll see during the course of this week is a standard winter cold spell comprising of wet snow in inland areas of the north and west, with rain and sleet for coastal regions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

Dan Corbett did that bbc weather for the week ahead and he doesn't agree and certainly wouldn't be using the word severe to describe whats coming this week.
    The artic door he said was only being slightly opened.
    He showed little or no precip for the week from showers in NI except for a mini cold front coming down which he said would be rain sleet and mainly hill snow.
    So very marginal in the UKMO view.
    The system to the south is one to watch.
    It was shown as all rain

I tend to agree [and who am I to diss the UKMO's opinion] because it is battling with a very modified polar maratime mix and is taking a very slow long meandering sea journey over the north atlantic [hence the fact that it has no ummph [pronounced ump fah-a colloquial for power] to fight the mild air in the southern feature, so snow on low ground for the very few flukey areas but mostly very wet stuff above 600ft in my opinion if at all.
    What the vast majority of people may see is cold rain.

Hardly severe.
    Ah yes Dan Corbett , he presents his forecasts in a rather broadway fashion but hes good all the same , the only snow he was showing was for scotland and for far south of England. Going by the MET uk long term outlook and MTs it looks like it get warmer after the upcoming cold weather and then colder again in the latter part of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Evelyn on the farming forecast :

"outbreaks of sleety snow" on Tuesday, polar notherlies will dominate this week, next week the Atlantic may break through but very uncertain, sleet/hail showers on Wednesday but fine weather in most places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Yeah apart from the North an areas west its mainly all hill snow and sleety rain elsewhere.Tis not a patch on the last spell,then again that was a rare one so can't complain too much but tis like a drug now and i'd like to be buried in sneachta.(Snow haters sharping their claws now i expect):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

That was a good forecast on BBC and RTE. Cold but nothing to write home about as Gerald Fleming might say.

• Evelyn on the farming forecast :

"outbreaks of sleety snow" on Tuesday, polar notherlies will dominate this week, next week the Atlantic may break through but very uncertain, sleet/hail showers on Wednesday but fine weather in most places.
    Ah now she said sleety snow on hills.
    Big difference :)
    She was sketchy later in the week but did say hail sleet and snow showers in the west and north west.

Anyone that missed her forecast can see it repeated ad nauseum on the RTE news now channel up untill 6pm if you have RTE digital terrestrial saorview through your aerial or on that channel on the web.
    They replay the 120pm news followed by the farming forecast on a loop up untill then.

It's becoming clear [as mud] to me that what we are facing into is a very slow flow from the north.
    If thats allowed to continue into week 2,thats after next weekend,we will eventually have something noteable wintry weather wise.
    But nothing too exciting methinks this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

I have noticed the robin and a lot of other small birds returning to the feeding tray in the garden over the last two days. This is supposed to be a sign of snow coming. Or is it?

• Advertisement

one thing i will be disappointed about is if at some stage during this month we don't get a near nationwide snow event with the sst being that bit cooler due to the exceptional cold spells just gone. With this in mind there seems to be enough cold air out in the Eastern part of the atlantic to eventually force Atlantic systems to take a more favourable track for this happen. so the word zonality doesn't have to be all bad, it depends on the angle of attack and what potentially milder air has to encounter as it seeks to establish itself over us.

Ah now she said sleety snow on hills.
    Big difference :)
    She was sketchy later in the week but did say hail sleet and snow showers in the west and north west.

i don't expect we'll be seeing a foot of snow in these parts next week, but just to see snow fall, with perhaps some accumulating by night if we're lucky, is preferable to very mild south westerlies!

Look at the AO forecast for after mid-month. Could be very interesting later in Jan / early Feb?

ao.sprd2.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

It seems to me that possibility of good snow this week is slim, but then again, doesn't the best snow come when we least expect it :pac:

I have noticed the robin and a lot of other small birds returning to the feeding tray in the garden over the last two days. This is supposed to be a sign of snow coming. Or is it?

Probably just a reaction to it being a bit colder for the past 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

Maybe your right. I should have mentioned it is Blessington and when the snow comes unexpectedly we usually get it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭pauldry

Although it does not look like we are going to see a major snow event this week, wintry showers of hail or sleet will make the roads icy once more and driving as driving can only be described........"hazardous"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

If we're talking about the signs in nature, watching some sheep for the last few days, they are behaving strangely and spending a lot of time (more than usual) in hedges, but i'd have to ask the postman how to interpret that one. Personally i think the signs in nature cant be great and i'd go with the GFS control run in FI first, but i wont dismiss it completely . .:P

12Z GME, probably overdoing it, but has -14 uppers reaching Scotland at 132 hours.

gme-1-132.png?12

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

Roll on!!! :D:D:D

I love the cold and all that comes with it :D:D

i cant wait now. :D

Was out earlier and it was freezing :)

Advertisement