Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-01-2011, 04:49   #1
darkman2
Banned

Very cold, Snow

It will turn very cold from tonight (2nd Jan) but it will be mostly dry until midweek. After Wednesday there is a high risk of snow countrywide. Keep with this thread for specifics. It is not possible to pinpoint exact locations yet but the west and north are most at risk initially and then the rest of the country in particular the south. Temperatures at night will be below freezing between now and then. Hard frost and ice should return tonight.

Last edited by darkman2; 02-01-2011 at 06:45.
Advertisement
02-01-2011, 05:16   #2
bobsoice23

Send a message via MSN to bobsoice23 Send a message via Yahoo to bobsoice23 Send a message via Skype™ to bobsoice23
Oh joy.
02-01-2011, 05:26   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsoice23 View Post
Oh joy.
Oh joy indeed
02-01-2011, 05:43   #4
wurzlitzer

Darkman2
Did you copy and paste that from the rte website?

Well we will all have to put up with it I suppose

I think now what ever the weather temperature wise we all have become more resistant to cold temperatures after the arctic ones we experienced before xmas

We should starting having vodka for brekkie mix it in the aul porridge
(3) thanks from:
02-01-2011, 05:56   #5
darkman2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurzlitzer View Post
Darkman2
Did you copy and paste that from the rte website?
lol! Sometimes I think they copy and paste from me. The forcast is as in the OP so. There is nothing I can do about it. Some people don't like snow and cold. Is it not better though to have weather to talk about? Yeah no water and no walking but it is nice to see all the same.
Advertisement
02-01-2011, 06:01   #6
Esel
Not your ornery onager

I refuse to believe until MTC confirms...
Thanks from:
02-01-2011, 07:10   #7
M.T. Cranium

At the moment, I am more convinced of the cold than the snow potential for eastern and southern counties, but the models are not really giving us very reliable projections of the details once the cold air gets established mid-week, so I think it's prudent to at least warn people of the potential for a return to snow -- which seems quite likely in Connacht and parts of Ulster by Tuesday night or Wednesday.

So far this outbreak looks just a little less severe than the first two were, but it's severe enough to be concerned about wintry weather returning after what has turned out to be a week-long break from the severe conditions.
(3) thanks from:
02-01-2011, 07:20   #8
darkman2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.T. Cranium View Post
At the moment, I am more convinced of the cold than the snow potential for eastern and southern counties,
+1 but what I am looking at for Southern parts is the potential for fronts to come from the South and perhaps effect Southern counties. I have little doubt there will be snow in the North and West. There will be little further East in the absence of frontal activity from the South. But that is just how I am reading the models. Perhaps I am completely wrong. I don't think so. Thanks MT.
02-01-2011, 09:56   #9

FYI

There is no countrytracks on BBC 1 today but the weather for the week ahead that usually accompanies it is after the 1110 am news on bbc1 this morning so about 1117am or thereabouts.
Advertisement
02-01-2011, 11:55   #10
Danno

It seems the runner front over Celtic Sea poses a threat to the south on Thursday. Any wobble north and it will be dumping down alot of rain/sleet/snow over the southern third of Ireland. The South of the UK stays mild for the most of the run and might see it turn to snow on it's back edge as it pulls away into the continent.
Thanks from:
02-01-2011, 12:03   #11
steveLFC24

I'm sick of this mild boring weather. Its kinda depressing
(3) thanks from:
02-01-2011, 12:06   #12

NOT HAPPENING
Thanks from:
02-01-2011, 12:08   #13
sunbabe08

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveLFC24 View Post
I'm sick of this mild boring weather. Its kinda depressing
i agree. bring back the cold
Thanks from:
02-01-2011, 12:11   #14

Dan Corbett did that bbc weather for the week ahead and he doesn't agree and certainly wouldn't be using the word severe to describe whats coming this week.
The artic door he said was only being slightly opened.
He showed little or no precip for the week from showers in NI except for a mini cold front coming down which he said would be rain sleet and mainly hill snow.
So very marginal in the UKMO view.
The system to the south is one to watch.
It was shown as all rain

I tend to agree [and who am I to diss the UKMO's opinion] because it is battling with a very modified polar maratime mix and is taking a very slow long meandering sea journey over the north atlantic [hence the fact that it has no ummph [pronounced ump fah-a colloquial for power] to fight the mild air in the southern feature, so snow on low ground for the very few flukey areas but mostly very wet stuff above 600ft in my opinion if at all.
What the vast majority of people may see is cold rain.

Hardly severe.
(2) thanks from:
02-01-2011, 12:58   #15
nacho libre

It was obvious from the start that it was going to be tame compared to what we had going by the models. Also the ukmo and our own M.T. prior to the last cold spell were quick to give out warnings, they didn't this time which indicates to me they didn't think it would be as severe.

i think what we'll see during the course of this week is a standard winter cold spell comprising of wet snow in inland areas of the north and west, with rain and sleet for coastal regions.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion