Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very cold, Snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Im pinning my hopes to mid-month and after, the 18z operational shows this with a building scandi high, with Easterlies forming, but there are a few runs which have easterlies (not all Scandi highs) on the ensembles.

http://91.121.84.31/modeles/gens/run/gens-0-1-312.png?12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

John.Icy wrote: »
    Im pinning my hopes to mid-month and after, the 18z operational shows this with a building scandi high, with Easterlies forming, but there are a few runs which have easterlies (not all Scandi highs) on the ensembles.

http://91.121.84.31/modeles/gens/run/gens-0-1-312.png?12

And have ya seen the latest AO and NAO forecasts? Building Blocks of a real stunner cold spell are being made, now to get them in the right place!:D

ao.sprd2.gif
    :cool: It is nice to see the models hinting real Easterly, Obviously this is as FI as FI gets. But the last third of the month does have pontentiol. Watch this space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Random wrote: »
    i don't know how to take met eireann these days. it's either gonna be sunny on thursday night or blizzards with 6foot of snow if their previous form is anything to go by!

sun at night in january could be interesting . .:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

sun at night in january could be interesting . .:cool:

lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Wouldnt this be nice:D

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=111961

• Advertisement

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    And have ya seen the latest AO and NAO forecasts? Building Blocks of a real stunner cold spell are being made, now to get them in the right place!:D

ao.sprd2.gif
    :cool: It is nice to see the models hinting real Easterly, Obviously this is as FI as FI gets. But the last third of the month does have pontentiol. Watch this space.

Indeed, very nice, though there are a few that warm up, but its in the majority to drop, and if it does, were in business, but we cannot get two far ahead of ourselves, it could all be a damp squid in the end. :)

Wouldnt this be nice:D

]

Damn control run at 336 hours getting our hopes up . .:mad::mad::mad:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MT8_Dublin_ens.png

A fair few colder runs appearing, especially number 16 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Okay after a short break, hope everyone had a good New years :) I've looked at the models closely for the last few days and come to a conclusion (sort of) -

Short term -

Cold weather this week/weekend with some chance of snow, I don't think met eireann's 10cm of snow possible in many areas will come off, at least not on lower ground. I am happy to be proven wrong though. :)

Medium term -

Next week is looking milder than of late, probably zonal but not like pre 2008/09 winters, more of a temporary thing I would think, at the moment the signs are that we will have low pressure moving west to east over the Atlantic, BUT these look like stopping somewhere over Ireland/The UK and will not steam roll all the way up to norway as is normal in mild zonality.

The GFS pressure ensembles for Oslo show this with pressure forecast to rise considerably, opposite of zonality!

Here's the link = http://www.netweather.tv/ensimages/ens.20110104/18/prmslOslo.png

The mean is up to 1020MB at the end of the run indicating a scandi high-
    Operational and control runs trending much higher again, with pressure up to 1045MB!! This is a good sign and really I don't think the mild pattern will last too long, and have a feeling that it will be replaced by a bitter easterly straight from Siberia for much of the second half of january-

Now here is the ensembles for reyjavic -

http://www.netweather.tv/ensimages/ens.20110104/18/prmslReyjavic.png

This is not showing significant support for either low or high pressure, indicating that the polar vortex will not setup nearby (as would happen in a zonal pattern).

Another major factor is the AO/NAO and so the AO is forecast to go into deep negative territory, very good for keeping northern blocking -

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/ao.sprd2.gif

NAO is meant to go into a neutral phase or maybe just positive before dropping negative again -

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/pna/new.nao_index_ensm.html

Another positive, anti zonality, is the N. Hemisphere 500hpa ECM +240 charts are showing a split p.vortex with the main chunk over Canada, importantly not over Greenland -

Recmnh2401.gif

And look at the size of that OMEGA block!! Unfortunately its on the wrong side of the pole.

Long Term -

After next week is very uncertain at present and could end up being pivotal in terms of what weather we have for the rest of the winter, IF a zonal pattern is in full flow, (unlikely) it could be curtains for cold until mid feb or til the end of winter, based on the last 2 or 3 years and low solar activity, dead gulf stream, northern blocking and a southerly tracking jet I find this very unlikely to happen. Now on the other hand if we end up starring down the barrel of another severe cold spell, I would expect it to be locked in until mid feb, with reloads very possible. Now I think this more likely to happen than the zonal option but that is just my opinion. Of coarse there are many other potential scenarios that could happen and the most likely is probably that we end up with a cold pattern, not extreme cold but cold enough for snow at times too.

Tonights 18z GFS run shows a big scandi high and easterly developing in very late FI -

http://www.netweather.tv/gfsimages2/gfs.20110104/18/360/h850t850eu.png

I think this will become a feature on future runs and so is one to watch...

What I can also see as a possibility is if the stratospheric warming gets it's act together and propagates downwards, and blocking sets up in a favourable position we could see more amazing Synoptics with high pressure extending from Siberia to Canada , the holy Grail of cold patterns, yet to be seen this winter but would probably need to happen if we want to equal/surpass 1963 in terms of length and severity of cold.

Okay ramp over - :D

Dan :)

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Okay after a short break, hope everyone had a good New years :) I've looked at the models closely for the last few days and come to a conclusion (sort of) -

Short term -

Cold weather this week/weekend with some chance of snow, I don't think met eireann's 10cm of snow possible in many areas will come off, at least not on lower ground. I am happy to be proven wrong though. :)

Medium term -

Next week is looking milder than of late, probably zonal but not like pre 2008/09 winters, more of a temporary thing I would think, at the moment the signs are that we will have low pressure moving west to east over the Atlantic, BUT these look like stopping somewhere over Ireland/The UK and will not steam roll all the way up to norway as is normal in mild zonality.

The GFS pressure ensembles for Oslo show this with pressure forecast to rise considerably, opposite of zonality!

Here's the link = http://www.netweather.tv/ensimages/ens.20110104/18/prmslOslo.png

The mean is up to 1020MB at the end of the run indicating a scandi high-
    Operational and control runs trending much higher again, with pressure up to 1045MB!! This is a good sign and really I don't think the mild pattern will last too long, and have a feeling that it will be replaced by a bitter easterly straight from Siberia for much of the second half of january-

Now here is the ensembles for reyjavic -

http://www.netweather.tv/ensimages/ens.20110104/18/prmslReyjavic.png

This is not showing significant support for either low or high pressure, indicating that the polar vortex will not setup nearby (as would happen in a zonal pattern).

Another major factor is the AO/NAO and so the AO is forecast to go into deep negative territory, very good for keeping northern blocking -

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/ao.sprd2.gif

NAO is meant to go into a neutral phase or maybe just positive before dropping negative again -

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/pna/new.nao_index_ensm.html

Another positive, anti zonality, is the N. Hemisphere 500hpa ECM +240 charts are showing a split p.vortex with the main chunk over Canada, importantly not over Greenland -

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsecmeur.html

And look at the size of that OMEGA block!! Unfortunately its on the wrong side of the pole.

Long Term -

After next week is very uncertain at present and could end up being pivotal in terms of what weather we have for the rest of the winter, IF a zonal pattern is in full flow, (unlikely) it could be curtains for cold until mid feb or til the end of winter, based on the last 2 or 3 years and low solar activity, dead gulf stream, northern blocking and a southerly tracking jet I find this very unlikely to happen. Now on the other hand if we end up starring down the barrel of another severe cold spell, I would expect it to be locked in until mid feb, with reloads very possible. Now I think this more likely to happen than the zonal option but that is just my opinion. Of coarse there are many other potential scenarios that could happen and the most likely is probably that we end up with a cold pattern, not extreme cold but cold enough for snow at times too.

Tonights 18z GFS run shows a big scandi high and easterly developing in very late FI -

http://www.netweather.tv/gfsimages2/gfs.20110104/18/360/h850t850eu.png

I think this will become a feature on future runs and so is one to watch...

What I can also see as a possibility is if the stratospheric warming gets it's act together and propagates downwards, and blocking sets up in a favourable position we could see more amazing Synoptics with high pressure extending from Siberia to Canada , the holy Grail of cold patterns, yet to be seen this winter but would probably need to happen if we want to equal/surpass 1963 in terms of length and severity of cold.

Okay ramp over - :D

Dan :)

Fantastic post! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

excellent post X2. i really feel that for waterford to get any snow we need those conditions like early december and a siberian easterly and some lake effect from the irish sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

I don't think this will be much of a snow event either. It will definitely be rain or sleet at best in the South and South East and this has been flagged by Met Eireann. However it should turn to snow (albeit wettish) up towards Wicklow/Dublin direction and of course more inland if the system comes off. Meteo France has snow for Dublin on Thursday/Friday morning as does Met Eireann.:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

37.1mm of rain this week already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

37.1mm of rain this week already

This time last week that would of made me grab the soap and hit the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Pretty slow morning in here today, obviously very little progression in the forecasts and it appears to be a real 'wait and see' scenario. A nice morning in Dublin with some sunshine, the wind chill is making it feel colder than 4 degrees which it was in Dublin 2 at 7.30am. I expect tomorrow to bring a much clearer picture of what is to come.

A nice surprise to hear M.T on Newstalk early this morning.

I've given up hope of anything from this cold spell, so the question is, when will the next one be? And blizzard post above is music to my ears . . .:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Piers Corbyn saying I told you so, 20-30 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

More snow predicted for the North West

Forecasters says there's more snow coming for the North West - with as much as ten centimetres expected to fall on higher ground.

Met Éireann says temperatures will drop to below zero tomorrow night - however the cold snap is not expected to be as severe as what we've experienced in recent weeks.

Peter O'Donnell of Irish Weather Online says there are two weather systems we need to be aware of: - One of which is in the North West

http://oceanfm.ie/article/More-snow-predicted-for-the-North-West/

Amazing how Met eireann are not the only source, good to see competition out there in the form of IWO. :D

WolfeIRE wrote: »

Piers Corbyn saying I told you so, 20-30 times.
    The presenter said the Uk weather office said in november that it would be mild winter.
    They didnt though did they?

See here
    "Since late November we've seen a prolonged spell of severe wintry weather"
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/who/how/case-studies/big-freeze

MET uks outlook for novmeber and decemeber was pretty spot on I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Pangea wrote: »

More snow predicted for the North West

Forecasters says there's more snow coming for the North West - with as much as ten centimetres expected to fall on higher ground.

Met Éireann says temperatures will drop to below zero tomorrow night - however the cold snap is not expected to be as severe as what we've experienced in recent weeks.

Peter O'Donnell of Irish Weather Online says there are two weather systems we need to be aware of: - One of which is in the North West

http://oceanfm.ie/article/More-snow-predicted-for-the-North-West/

Amazing how Met eireann are not the only source, good to see competition out there in the form of IWO. :D

M.T. even?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

I've given up hope of anything from this cold spell, so the question is, when will the next one be? And blizzard post above is music to my ears . . .:D

Ok but as I said it's a potential trend to watch at the moment and dosent have much support at present, neither does raging zonality, Most likely something in-between with high pressure nearby (probably mid-atlantic) hopefully positioned favourably though. :)

I know that's a bit vague but we are talking 14 days away, the models are not consistent and so trends is all you can go on at that range.

Dan ;)

Ah piers corbyn appearing on fox news the mouthpiece of the republican party in the U.S and a station and party skeptical of global warming..who would have thought :rolleyes:

What they neglected to say was Piers forecast has been the same for the last decade or more give or take every winter.
    Stopped clocks are right at least once a day,they say.

This goes back again to not comparing like with like.
    There is a Huge difference between forecasting day to day weather within 3 to 5 days ahead and various methods of predicting general trends in weather over a longer period.

The met office have been and were very consistent iirc on This winters early cold.
    Predicting weather within 24 can be very difficult and the met office can get it very wrong.

Even MT's forecast can be wrong -like yesterday for instance and even worse today for mt as Belmullet has reached 8c and knock airport up at 700ft asl has reached 5c with a dewpoint of 4c meaning rain showers there and no snow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

BLASPHEMY!!!........thou shalt not doubt the word of MT Cranium:eek:

take him to the gallows!:D:D:D

Lol but here are the lunchtime temps as of this posting time
    The northwest up to well inland had rain yesterday and today temps are between 4 and 10c! with not a hope of snow.

That would be a far cry from 0 to 3c

My view is theres not enough polar in the maratime at this stage.

I could find plenty of examples of my own posts that have ended up being wrong,but then I think it's always wise not to discount the atlantic oceans warming capabilities unless it's getting a decent shot of artic air and it isn't yet.

My point is,if we can't get detail today right ,what confidence have we in tomorrow and the next day at the moment?

Thats how difficult the forecasters life is and dissing them is simply shooting fish in a barrell-not fair.
    Also models in my opinion are flakey lately on the finer details.

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    M.T. even?
    We all know its M.T sir...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I was never confident there would be snow today . for all the talk of models struggling , the models were fairly accurate a few days ago as to this being a messy wintry week with the coldest air over Scotland until after midweek. As for Friday, my hunch is it'll be snow to rain for most of the country except for Ulster

As for Friday, my hunch is it'll be a snow to rain for most of the country except for Ulster
    What do you mean by that Nahco? do you mean Ulster will avoid any precipation, or that there will be snow for Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Pangea wrote: »
    What do you mean by that Nahco? do you mean Ulster will avoid any precipation, or that there will be snow for Ulster.

The system may not make it past north munster and south connacht, if it does i think it'll turn back to rain everywhere bar the north and perhaps north west- the furthest points away from the warmer upper air basicially. it's a just a pity this system isn't meeting deeply entrenched colds air ahead of it then there would be no worry about snow turning back to rain in most places.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Stopped clocks are right at least once a day,they say.

:D Very good!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Twice a day, in fact... :pac:

Advertisement