Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very cold, Snow

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Which model? I don't see much of an upgrade if you can call it that for cold up to t+96 anyway.

Besides, it's not called the pub run for nothing;)

Is the GFS not the only one with an 18z run???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Is the GFS not the only one with an 18z run???

The Navy model (NOGAPS) has an 18Z too.

http://www.meteociel.com/modeles/nogapse_cartes.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

0degisotherm.png

Toss a coin indeed folks,this is how much is in it for Friday.
    We won't really know till near a nowcast i'd say.
    However im guessing initial snow friday morning perhaps not on south coasts then snowline rising to above 200metres inland around midday.May stay sleety and snowy further north and west before colder air makes a return to eastern parts to give any remaining precip saturday morning a wintry mix.Rain looks to be heavy at times and highest hills could see blizzard like conditions for a time.

In saying all that i know its folly to go with one run but im kinda thinking in general thats how it could pan out.I could be a million miles out though if colder air digs deeper then we shall nearly all be smiling.

And don't come back at me saying what scientific analysis made me come up with this.:)

Oh and im back to work this morning,bought myself an Android to keep up with everything,the joys of technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

ch750536 wrote: »
    Snow lying on the floor here, grass & car covered, drive & roads clear. Snowing reasonably.
    Choices for you: either close the door and windows, or call a roofer... :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I see that Darkman2 has started a thread about snow potential for Friday and Saturday. Would agree with that, suggesting for more clarity editing in a sub-heading for this thread to read

"snow alert for parts of Connacht, Ulster Tuesday night into Wednesday"

as I believe there is potential now for local snowfalls of 7-15 cms inland and 2-5 cms coastal areas (where more mixing will take place) starting this evening and intensifying through Wednesday morning. In general terms, people could expect roughly the same areas as the "Greenland express" event to get snow cover out of this, although in most cases, one third to one half as much snow as fell then. To be clear, this refers only to the opening phases of that cold spell and not to the later snowfall events in the Dublin region. So by mid-day Wednesday, there may be a widespread fresh snow cover across much of inland Connacht and Ulster, and on higher terrain further south.

Please note, this snow will arrive gradually due to mixing tonight and it may take some time for the transition to be completed, and there will only be snow today on the highest terrain, as there will be a continued rather mild southwest flow until a cold front passes around 1800h-2100h.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Good Morning MT, I can't edit the thread title. Im sure a mod will.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    i agree. bring back the cold

Ahh noooooooooo

Im still having nightmares about cooking the turkey while melting snow on the cooker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

darkman2 wrote: »
    Good Morning MT, I can't edit the thread title. Im sure a mod will.:)

You can, hold you ctrl key and double click on the title in the main forum, this should let you edit the title

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

I thought that worked before but it's not working now (for me anyway):(

Just click edit post and then advanced and you can edit the subject of a thread I think.
    This may not be the case if it has replies,I'm not sure.
    Otherwise a mod of the forum can do it for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

darkman2 wrote: »
    I thought that worked before but it's not working now (for me anyway):(
    You lose the privilege to do so DM about two days after thread is opened

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Met Eireann are only talking of rain tonight and tomorrow for lower levels

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I see Belmullet is reporting mod/heavy sleet at 1500 at 8c with a DP of approx. 6c (RH 88%)? This is a manned station afaik?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Met Eireann are only talking of rain tonight and tomorrow for lower levels
    Its a complete washout here im afraid, floods .
    Unless we get a big drop in temperatures I think snow hasnt a hope of sticking tonight , although I would love to be proven wrong. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Sky have much of inland Donegal for snow tonight but I'm not really expecting anything other than hill snow around here. Going back to Letterkenny on Thursday which much like before Christmas could prove problematic again

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Pangea wrote: »
    Its a complete washout here im afraid, floods .
    Unless we get a big drop in temperatures I think snow hasnt a hope of sticking tonight , although I would love to be proven wrong. :D

i'm not convinced in the flow we have that we'll even get wet snow inland, the stronger the wind the better, but still i think there is too much of maritime influence. It maybe that we do get sleet and perhaps wet snow at times, but I think the hill tops in connacht and ulster will be the only place with lying snow by morning.
    I would love to be proven right for once :o:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭IRCA

Irish Weather Online are posting this

"TONIGHT
    ... Windy and colder with sleet, snow or hail, accumulating snow in parts of Connacht and Ulster, and on highest terrain further south and east. Rain showers in some parts of the south and east. Lows about -2 C in inland Ulster to +1 C the southeast, maybe a little higher in south Wexford. Winds becoming westerly 25-45 mph adding quite a chill (feeling like -5 C in exposed locations). Accumulations of 3-7 cms of snow away from sea level in Connacht and west Ulster, scattered 2-4 cms elsewhere."

Seem to be out of kilter with what the other reports are saying - anyone know if these guys are anyway acurate historically?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

IRCA wrote: »

"TONIGHT ... Windy and colder with sleet, snow or hail, accumulating snow in parts of Connacht and Ulster, and on highest terrain further south and east. Rain showers in some parts of the south and east. Lows about -2 C in inland Ulster to +1 C the southeast, maybe a little higher in south Wexford. Winds becoming westerly 25-45 mph adding quite a chill (feeling like -5 C in exposed locations). Accumulations of 3-7 cms of snow away from sea level in Connacht and west Ulster, scattered 2-4 cms elsewhere."

Seem to be out of kilter with what the other reports are saying - anyone know if these guys are anyway acurate historically?

These guys are from round these parts! I think that's directly from the boy Cranium.....

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭IRCA

These guys are from round these parts! I think that's directly from the boy Cranium.....

Time will surely tell then :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Johannson14

angel01 wrote: »
    This snow better not come back :mad: Sick of it at this stage..

Snap!!!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

A horrible wet day here with constant heavy rain for hours. Find it very hard to believe we will see anything near snow from this. Maybe just the highest peeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

IRCA wrote: »

"TONIGHT ... Windy and colder with sleet, snow or hail, accumulating snow in parts of Connacht and Ulster, and on highest terrain further south and east. Rain showers in some parts of the south and east. Lows about -2 C in inland Ulster to +1 C the southeast, maybe a little higher in south Wexford. Winds becoming westerly 25-45 mph adding quite a chill (feeling like -5 C in exposed locations). Accumulations of 3-7 cms of snow away from sea level in Connacht and west Ulster, scattered 2-4 cms elsewhere."

Sounds way off, firstly, there wont be anything in the south or east. Second, there has been an absolute deluge of rain all day in Ulster, would have to been allmightily heavy to stick, maybe to grass, but not pavements or anything. Only accumulating snow likely on high hills up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

John.Icy wrote: »
    Sounds way off, firstly, there wont be anything in the south or east. Second, there has been an absolute deluge of rain all day in Ulster, would have to been allmightily heavy to stick, maybe to grass, but not pavements or anything. Only accumulating snow likely on high hills up north.

Both HIRLAM and GFS totally disagreeing with ya, quite heavy precip in th south tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0104/water.html
    There are renewed warnings of icy weather returning this week.

Met Éireann is forecasting falls of snow and sleet over much of the country on Thursday night and Friday morning with up to 10cm of snow in many areas.

The December cold snap and subsequent thaw caused widespread disruption to water supplies, the effects of which are still being felt.

Met Éireann says the snow is likely to cause disruption, but is not likely to be as severe as the last freezing period.

i don't know how to take met eireann these days. it's either gonna be sunny on thursday night or blizzards with 6foot of snow if their previous form is anything to go by!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Random wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0104/water.html

i don't know how to take met eireann these days. it's either gonna be sunny on thursday night or blizzards with 6foot of snow if their previous form is anything to go by!

I know they can be dodgy, but surely they haven't descended to this level :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I have been using nearly all iPhone weather apps over the last few snow spells and yes I know they are computer generated and not really that good but on every snow event at least 2 of them have been fairly close to the mark. This time however not one is showing any snow for this part of the world.

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Both HIRLAM and GFS totally disagreeing with ya, quite heavy precip in th south tonight!

I mean in the way of wintry precip. :)

I mean in the way of wintry precip. :)

Ah, i got ya now. Maybe for the Blackstairs and Wicklow Mts tho?

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Ah, i got ya now. Maybe for the Blackstairs and Wicklow Mts tho?

Possibly, its 4 degree's here with rain, maybe high up there is something wintry happening...above 300m ir more though I'd say.

• Advertisement

Possibly, its 4 degree's here with rain, maybe high up there is something wintry happening...above 300m ir more though I'd say.

Anything above 600m and id be happy camper, as long as it lasts till the weekend so i can get up.

Advertisement