Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Heavy Rain - Flood risk

• 28-10-2010 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

A lot of rain forecast for Ireland in the next five days, with medium term outlooks predicting further atlantic systems will be crossing the country.

Last November saw a similar set up which resulted in serious flooding throughout the country, particulary in counties Cork, Clare and Galway. The only difference this year is that the current wet spel of weather has not been preceeded by a record breaking wet summer, as experienced in 2009.

The water table is pretty much at capacity according to http://www.met.ie/agmet/smd_wds.asp so any sustained rainfall will lead to flooding as the water has nowhere to go.

Latest warning from Met Eireann.

Warnings
    hr.gif

Weather Warning

Issued at 28 October 2010 - 14:09
    Rainfall Warning
    Rainfall amounts of 25 - 40mm likely in parts of Munster and Leinster.

from 18:00 28/10/2010
    to 18:00 29/10/2010

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Here is where tomorrow's potential wave is beginning to develop on the 12z Fax analysis, with arrow showing where most of the main models have it running over the next 18/24hrs

132818.jpg

Current Sat image with wave formation starting in circled area:

132795.jpg

Will be interesting to see how it develops over the next 24hrs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,124 ✭✭✭✭km79

not again:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

wind has got up here,

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

Winds have really picked up here in the past 2 hours, no heavy rain since about 4;30pm just spots of drizzle,

have my new Panasonic Lumix so i'll get a quick night time video later if the wind and rain gets any bit violent :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

ECMWF rain forecast for midday tomorrow:

132820.jpg

Might be wise to bring one of these:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTA4HGNjBSxtyl67VEhQEIMaZShrgmSYZYLt7Ft3dgIe23CzU4&t=1&usg=__WVZzlPcevIVjA__HrZVfR2aJjO4=

if you are planning outdoor activiites tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

I'm in Riverstick now on a hill open from the SE right around tonthe west. My iPhone is getting soaked as I'm typing this bit the wind has seriouly picked up. No way p measuring speed but heavy rain is falling sideways. And trees are flexing a lot. Right back to the 4x4 for me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

heavy rain here in cork. wind picking up again. love this type of weather

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Well it is half term so of course it is going to be wet and windy. Five days should bring us nicely to Monday which I predict will bring clear blue skies, cold but no wind or rain all day till 3pm. :D

Wet but not pouring here in KK and no wind to speak of but with the recent rain the leaves have turned into a sodden mess everywhere which can be worse than ice for skidding on so watch out on the roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Very windy on the hills in KK...

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

Just a clip from a passing shower at 9:45pm, taking with my Panasonic Lumix TZ7 sorry about the strong blue streaks but its typical of CCD sensors in cameras,

the camera is brand new and this is actually my first night video with a digital camera, 720p available on the Youtube clip

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd forgotton what serious rain was like, but it looks like we're going to make up for whatever deficit there may be in the Deise soil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Min wrote: »
    Very windy on the hills in KK...

Very windy on the flat low bits in kk also!!!

CarMuppet wrote: »
    I'm in Riverstick now on a hill open from the SE right around tonthe west. My iPhone is getting soaked as I'm typing this bit the wind has seriouly picked up. No way p measuring speed but heavy rain is falling sideways. And trees are flexing a lot. Right back to the 4x4 for me now.

Being an iphone it will probably lose signal or something now . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Really windy up here now. Howling outside. Accu giving gusts of 50plus. Temp about 12 c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

My weather station shows 171.4 kmh @7.48PM. That's about 100 more than most near me.

gbee wrote: »
    My weather station shows 171.4 kmh @7.48PM. That's about 100 more than most near me.

I've a feeling that might not be 100% accurate . . .:P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Max gust 38mph before 11pm along with a balmy day max of 14.9c (also before 11pm) and 3.6mm recorded for the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Putting 2009 and 2010 into context

looking at the rainfall in mm's for shannon airport in nov 2009 - 263.2!!

http://www.met.ie/climate/monthly-data.asp?Num=518

Only 48 mm up to yesterday eve for october. 84mm in oct 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭Joe Public

gbee wrote: »
    I've a feeling that might not be 100% accurate . . .:P

The weather station must be on the roof of the car:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

NAE showing lots of precip especially over eastern ireland around Noon.
    10102912_2818.gif

ECM Agrees
    101028_1200_24.png

While GFS has the heaviest rain skirting south east coast.

ukprec.png

No matter which chart is correct, its still gonna be wet and im out in it all day,yes can't wait.:rolleyes:

Theres a big purple 37 right over my house . . and another blob of purple in the other chart . .but looking out the window, i ont need any charts to tell me that its absolutely p!ssing down outside!

:pac:

• Advertisement

templast24hrs.png

I've a feeling that something might have gone wrong there after 8.00 . . .

On kilkennyweather.com . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Maybe not, the wave forming along the front has pushed the front back slightly as a warm front, this is likely what happened at the Kilkenny station as per the graph. Torrential rainfall rates along the path of the wave as it moves northeast through s.e. Ireland today. Roches Point already showed one hour with 14 mms.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Looks like were gonna get the full force of this in wexford town which i'm quite happy about because i have sweet f a to do all day except sit in my room watching sky HD and listening to the rain smack off my roof :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

[QUOTE=M.T. Cranium;68742188 Ireland today. Roches Point already showed one hour with 14 mms.[/QUOTE]

I'm showing 33mm since midnight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Motorists in parts of Munster and south Leinster have been urged to slow down following torrential downpours.

Met Éireann has issued a weather warning for 25-40mm of rainfall in these regions.
    AA Roadwatch says there is flooding and heavy surface water on roads in counties Cork and Tipperary.

In Cork city, motorists are experiencing delays around Wellington Bridge and Sundays Well due to flooding, while flooding has also been reported on the North Ring Road, Monkstown and the Crosshaven to Carrigaline Road.
    In west Cork, AA Roadwatch says there is flooding around Kinsale, while in north Cork there is heavy surface on the M8 southbound at junction 17.

Flooding is also affecting the N25 Carigtwohill to Middleton road at Lynnwenn Lodge and Minister Hill, the Mill Road and Bailick Road.

AA Roadwatch is also warning motorists about flooding around Cobh especially on the Lower Road and Ticnock area.

In Tipperary, Heavy rain and surface water is affecting the N24 Limerick to Tipperary road south of Cahir.

Despite the heavy rain overnight, a spokeswoman for Cork City Council said it currently has no need to issue a flood warning.

High tide in the city centre was at 10am and passed without incident.

She added that the Council has received no information from Met Éireann to indicate that they should be issuing any warnings.

The situation will be reviewed throughout the day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

19.6mm here since midnight with a max of 48.0mm/hr rain rate at 10.18 this morning. Recorded on my station at www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Serious rain here in Galway City all morning,the apptly named Sea Road was quite a sight a few hours ago.Still raining now.Its the drains and sewage system in Galway that cant cope with any heavy rain.Last Friday there was a cloud burst and "stuff" starting coming up from ManHoles and Drains etc and today its the same,disgusting.I drove through Gort yesterday,they were putting sandbags out in some shops,they know their in for another horrible time it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Any sign of a let up lads?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Poly wrote: »
    Any sign of a let up lads?

Its stopped raining here and by the looks of the radar we might be finished with it for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭pauldry

Still lashing in E Mayo. It was spittin in Sligo when I left at 834am.

Southwest seems clear now but the rain is not going West to East it is going South to North and East very slowly so late evening before Leinster sees a clearance.

Advertisement