Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy Rain - Flood risk

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Some exceptionally heavy bursts of rain in Galway city at the moment where a total of 22.5mm has fallen since midnight. Strong SW'ly winds all day, the highest gust occured at 3.34PM - 37.2km/h

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

heavy rain here for the past 45 mins and nothing showing on met radar again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Pretty miserable, damp and breezy here. Not much more to be said really!

1MM short of an inch of rain since midnight.

still bucketing down. radar now showing clare experiencing heavy rain. moving its way into limerick and north tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 30,028 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Didn't feel like too much rain here today, got stormy an hour ago though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Finally stopped here again, as I said in the other thread it was a crazy night here last night. Easily the heaviest rain we've had all year with a lot of hail mixed in, strong winds and thunder and lightning.

Stopped for a while in the morning but its been raining all day again until an hour ago

Harps wrote: »
    Finally stopped here again, as I said in the other thread it was a crazy night here last night. Easily the heaviest rain we've had all year with a lot of hail mixed in, strong winds and thunder and lightning.

Stopped for a while in the morning but its been raining all day again until an hour ago

Sounds brilliant. Ye lucky Donegalian :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I think we have a different idea of what classes as brilliant :pac:

Wasn't too bad with it being at night but I had a terrible nights sleep with the thunder and hail

Harps wrote: »
    I think we have a different idea of what classes as brilliant :pac:

Wasn't too bad with it being at night but I had a terrible nights sleep with the thunder and hail

Ah, sorry, Im sure it was no picnic. I engaged my typing before my brain.
    :o

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Market stalls and covers were flying in all directions in the gusts today.. rain held off until late afternoon then swept in strong and steady.Calm now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Graces7, are you back in Donegal now? I seem to recall that you mentioned moving south earlier in the year. Just a general reminder to some other posters above, it helps if you post a location when it's not in your avatar.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,826 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

This radar is a wonderful thing. It's showing nothing & I am soaked !.
    ME's forecast today for Galway is drizzle turning to heavy rain. The radar shows the complete opposite :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

what parts of connaught can expect to see this very heavy rain tonight (25-30mm). is it north west or all?

all KM, but the heaviest will be in northern half of the province

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Graces7, are you back in Donegal now? I seem to recall that you mentioned moving south earlier in the year. Just a general reminder to some other posters above, it helps if you post a location when it's not in your avatar.

;)

But that IS my location...

In other terms? Travel as far south as you can... Happily settled down in West Cork now. And oh MY! What folk can grow in their gardens here.. Such flowers and fruit... In God's pocket indeed.. Looking forward to an easier winter this year and to growing all our food etc next year. Still out in the boonies of course, but there are boonies and there are boonies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Looks like some heavy rain moving into the west.

Web_radar.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

that rin has started already rhonin looks like it will be a rotten night of wind rain fog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Graces7 wrote: »
    ;) Still out in the boonies of course, but there are boonies and there are boonies

You'll have to meet up with Alice Taylor in Innishannon, maybe co-other a book. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Graces7 wrote: »
    ;)

But that IS my location...

In other terms? Travel as far south as you can... Happily settled down in West Cork now. And oh MY! What folk can grow in their gardens here.. Such flowers and fruit... In God's pocket indeed.. Looking forward to an easier winter this year and to growing all our food etc next year. Still out in the boonies of course, but there are boonies and there are boonies

Could be close to MTC land ---- http://www.godspocket.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

there has been fairly heavy rain for the last two hours here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Heavy rain in Castlebar at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Getting increasingly wild and windy in Galway as the evening progresses. Heavy rain and temp has risen slightly to 14.1C in a strong and gusty SW'ly wind. Strongest gust so far this evening was 30.1km/h recorded at 20.42PM; RH 99%; 1006mb

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Found this animation on another site. Click on Forward to animate.
    For the Brits, French and Spanish here. Be advised an apparent winter storm is going to bearing in on you in three days.

http://moe.met.fsu.edu/cgi-bin/cmctc2.cgi?time=2010110312&field=Sea+Level+Pressure&hour=Animation

It looks like we are included in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Met Ireland forcast for today:
    Outbreaks of rain and drizzle will continue in many areas for much of today, with some prolonged and possibly heavy rain at times in southern counties. However, a clearance to showers will develop in the northern half of the country by evening. The fresh southwest winds will gradually become moderate by evening. It will be very mild with top temperatures between 13 and 16 degrees.

No mention of the heavy rain we've had in the West since daylight, Rain radar is all yellow and bits of pink in the mid/north west! Nothing in the south.

76mm rain fell in shannon in October.

263mm fell in Shannon in Nov 2009.
    60mm fell up to 11am today during November.

That means this month has seen 22% of last November's total fall already. That is incredible considering we are only 3.5 days in and last November was a record breaking month.

Soil Moisture Deficits showing ground is reaching or at saturation point everywhere. This does not bode well for areas prone to flooding should we get an intense period of rainfall.
    smd_wd.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 15,826 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Because I work outside a lot I monitor the weather pretty closely. This will be the first week in my memory that it has significantly rained on every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Flood plains starting to fill up in Rural Galway east areas in the last couple of days. Council workers nearly finished building the three metre flood barriers. Heres to hoping they won't be needed!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

groundhog day - heavy rain again since 6:30 am this morning. there are floods starting to appear about the place now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Jaysus it's the west that is getting the brunt of this heavy rain - and met eireann said heavy rain for the south! Nothing much here at the moment.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Yes very heavy rain during the night here and it hasn't stopped since 6.30-7 this morning, still tipping it down. I would say the Insurance companies are on tender hooks again!

Advertisement