Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy Rain - Flood risk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

gbee wrote: »
    You'll have to meet up with Alice Taylor in Innishannon, maybe co-other a book. :)

Nice idea, but we have four books out already and three more in the working..

snaps wrote: »
    Yes very heavy rain during the night here and it hasn't stopped since 6.30-7 this morning, still tipping it down. I would say the Insurance companies are on tender hooks again!

Most of the flood victims in Cork could not get insurance after the last floods and nothing has been done to repair the damage.

leahyl wrote: »
    Jaysus it's the west that is getting the brunt of this heavy rain - and met eireann said heavy rain for the south! Nothing much here at the moment.....

Try a few miles to the west; has been raining hard all day so far. Still have not walked the dogs.

Joe Public wrote: »
    Could be close to MTC land ---- http://www.godspocket.com/

Interesting as we have "family" near there.

But God has many pockets..;)

"In God's pocket" was one of the first Irish phrases I learned, along with "on the pig's back" from my first landlady here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

i would be concerned as to the effect of heavy rainfall in the upper river shannon catchment on places like athlone, ballinasloe and SE Clare/Limerick City which are flood prone.

Would be interesting to find out what water levels are like at the weir in Parteen, Co Clare and further up the river.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The rain has given away to a steady drizzle here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

The rain has given away to a steady drizzle here.

Its been a downpour here for the last 45 minutes and im only a few miles south of you. The roads are flooded, fields are gathering water and the river robe is up to the banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

It's lashing down here for the last hour. A lot of surface water on the roads too so be careful when driving in this rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

snaps wrote: »
    Its been a downpour here for the last 45 minutes and im only a few miles south of you. The roads are flooded, fields are gathering water and the river robe is up to the banks.

about 5 minutes after my last post it started to rain heavily again. I wonder what it's like over in Tuam with Patrick.

about 5 minutes after my last post it started to rain heavily again. I wonder what it's like over in Tuam with Patrick.

Im sure he'll tell us later! Hasn't stopped really since last Friday lunchtime (The rain that is)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Hasn't really stopped in East Clare for 3 days now...just varies in intensity and the wind is pretty strong as well.

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    263mm fell in Shannon in Nov 2009.
    60mm fell up to 11am today during November.

That means this month has seen 22% of last November's total fall already. That is incredible considering we are only 3.5 days in and last November was a record breaking month.

71mm has fallen during November up to 3pm today

27% of last November's total rain has now fallen. That is incredible considering we are only 3.5 days in and last November was a record breaking month.

Yes my garden has now got zero soakage left, water is collecting on top of the soil, at the back its possibly 10-15cms deep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Jelly 292

Biblical Rain here in Oughterard, for days now:eek:
    Boreens around me are flooding, fields waterlogged.

De Ja Vu, Glad Im on top of a Hill!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Noticed the river Bonet in Dromahair was pretty swollen this morning. The sky is still heavy with rain so plenty more to come!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Raining most of the day here to but mostly light overall. Very dull with moderate to low visiblity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Heavy rain here yet again all day, oddly it seems to stop at 4 o clock every day though, same again today.

Most of the town is on a hill so flooding's not really a problem but the newer part of the town was ingeniously built on the flood plain so if it carries on like this theres a real danger of flooding

Typical

Wade out in a boggy soggy field to bring in the horse for the night, it suddenly stops raining and the wind drops !!!

Bet if I put him back on the field it'd start raining again....

Rain has just started to fall in last few mins. Another morning of heavy rain ahead. 3 inches have alresady fallen in first four days of the month.

Sky looking west 9.05am

133742.jpg

cloudy but still not raining (yet) in East Clare

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Hope it's dry in Dublin til about half 4 when I get on the bus. :pac: Gonna sit in with a bottle of whiskey over the weekend and enjoy the weather. :)

Notice coming down today from Dundalk that all the streams and small rivers in south Louth Meath along the M1 are pretty much full.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Heavy showers here all day so far, just got drenched walking home from college 10 minutes ago and looking out now the sky is all blue:rolleyes:

heavy rain now pushing into connaught
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Whats it like at the moment in Cork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Nothing.

Damp, light winds, 4 mm of rain since midnight in unspectacular showers.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Indeed. Strange looking feature developed this afternoon off the main front bringing that rain, a small low pressure? http://www.sat24.com/gb Not reflected in Met E forecast for this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

its here now belting down rain

• Registered Users Posts: 18,395 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Heading for the Aran Islands this weekend.
    Hoping to get back early Sunday morning and avoid the worst of the weather.
    Has been relatively dry here in Galway all day.

Good to see some proactive stuff goin on so far to prevent some flooding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Persistant heavy and at times torrential rain here in Tuam all evening.

• Advertisement

Been throwing it down the last few hours here, I'm sure this wasn't forecast for tonight?

Advertisement