Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy Rain - Flood risk

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

snaps wrote: »
    Been throwing it down the last few hours here, I'm sure this wasn't forecast for tonight?

Nope:

Today There will be further rain and drizzle in the south of the country this evening. However in the north the rain will have started to clear and dry spells will develop.
    Tonight

The rain in the south will gradually ease off tonight and it will become clearer in most areas. It will be cold tonight, with temperatures falling to between 1 and 4 degrees, with the chance of 0 degrees in parts of the midlands and Ulster. Grass frost will develop in many inland areas.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

Still pouring here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

All of Connaught, west munster and parts of Leinster now experiencing some persistent and at times heavy rain. Not a mention of this on met Eireann site.

Looking at the HIRLAM for tomorrow it shows a band of persistent, though light, rain crossing the country from the NW late tomorrow moon and afternoon. ME indicating 'A bright and breezy day tomorrow, Saturday with some sunny spells. There will be a band of showers in the northwest and north of the country and just some light scattered showers elsewhere.'

Whatever setup we are in at the moment obviously is throwing the models off in different tangents.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

hammering it down still. oh well, perhaps the forecasts have the big storm all wrong and we will have a bit of action?

What I find strange about this Wolfe, is how high the air pressure is at the moment. 1018.2mb here at the moment, yet we have floodings outside! This band of rain was not picked up by the models at all (even HIRLAM)! Just goes to show that the weather will never really be tamed by science! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Rain is so hard at the moment i can hear it on the roof and i am sitting downstairs watching TV!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

it's tipping down here too. it must a be a little trough that developed or tomorrows band of showers decided to come ahead of schedule;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looks to me like a little low pressure centre developed this afternoon off the main front - look at the wind directions http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

There was torrential rain in Galway where it came from I dont know it was never mentioned on the forecast after the 6 news, there are floods all over the place. Talk about getting it wrong again and whats very annoying they never come back at 9 and say they were wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Web_radar.gif

Some seriously heavy rain and showers there!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭laurence997

I'm down west-Clare and we havn't had any heavy rain that I've noticed at all since the morning/midday/early afternoon. I was expecting a bit. Looking at the met.ie rainfall radar it seems we were fairly lucky. The heavy rain went straight over us. :)
    I'd say that the sea should be fairly choppy on Sunday evening too. That, and heavy rain, should be interesting.:D Might drop down to Lahinch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Heavy and persistant rain in Castlebar since around 5pm.was fairly wet all day but nothing as heavy or as persistant as that!!

Any flooding out there? We've got a few puddles but thats about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Steyr wrote: »
    There was torrential rain in Galway where it came from I dont know it was never mentioned on the forecast after the 6 news, there are floods all over the place. Talk about getting it wrong again and whats very annoying they never come back at 9 and say they were wrong

I was wrong once, but even then I couldn't be quite sure.

All the streams are at bursting point around me and alot of flooded fields already.

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp
    Here comes the rain again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

WolfeIRE wrote: »

Yes, and that line of showers would appear to be very squally. Look at Belmullet vs Mace Head at 08am...not far from eachother, but Belmullet reported 7 gust 25kts, while Mace was 27 gust 34kts!

One to watch during the day...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Trampas

Have the councils been out clearing drains with the rain on it's way?

Might help prevent some floods

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Absolutely lashing here in cork at the moment. Looks like the rain has arrived early?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Absolutely lashing here in cork at the moment. Looks like the rain has arrived early?

That rain is from a different system. Tomorrow night's 'storm' system hasn't even made it past Greenland yet.

I noticed there is an awful lot of leaves on the ground on pavements and roadsides. Whatever leaves are still left on the trees will probably be blown off tomorrow evening, and thats going to add to the danger of drains being clugged up. I can see spot flooding happening on the roads due to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

That rain is from a different system. Tomorrow night's 'storm' system hasn't even made it past Greenland yet.

I noticed there is an awful lot of leaves on the ground on pavements and roadsides. Whatever leaves are still left on the trees will probably be blown off tomorrow evening, and thats going to add to the danger of drains being clugged up. I can see spot flooding happening on the roads due to that.

I'd prefer the councils to be clearing leaves than anything else at the moment, lot of leaves on the ground around here and in Dublin yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Clear skies now. It was a brief downpour. An appetizer.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

This just passed over me.... I'm very wet now... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Update on risk of coastal flooding in Dublin 7th/8th November 2010

06/11/2010 4:53 pm

Dublin City Council has been advised that the threat of severe weather for Sunday 7th November and Monday 8th November 2010 still exists.

Householders, property owners, motorists and pedestrians are warned that there is a risk of coastal flooding in Dublin in the next 36 hours.

Dublin City Council has put a flood contingency plan in place to address this risk. Sand bags have been issued to the householders/property owners identified as being in an area of risk of flooding.

The car parks on the seafront in Clontraf and Sandymount will be closed on Sunday and Monday (7th and 8th November). Motorists are advised not to park in these areas are there is a high risk from flooding due to wave action.

As part of the contingency plan the City Council will close the following 7 roads from the junction with Strand Road from 1.00 pm on Sunday 7th November until mid afternoon on 8th November:

St. John’s Road East

Gilford Road

Gilford Avenue

Lea Road

New Grove Avenue

Seafort Avenue

Marine Road (at the junction of Beach Road).

It may be necesary to close the following roads at short notice:

Strand Road, Sandymount from Sean Moore Road to the Merrion Gates

Coast Road, Clontarf from Alfie Byrne Road to Watermill Road

Please check with Eireann for updates on the weather forecast.

Advice for householders and businesses on flood protection is availabe on www.flooding.ie (Office of Public Works)

This site will be updated during the afternoon of 7th November.

http://dublincity.wordpress.com/

just has an intense 45 mins of rain here with some spot flooding as a result

look at 3pm update from the follower radar to see how intense it was
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

there will be some localised flooding this evening

torrential rain here
    135243.gif

Indeed it has been very wet and windy here. Rightly miserable.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 30 danieljm

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    there will be some localised flooding this evening

torrential rain here
    135243.gif

here we go again..... agh

That band of showery rain moving over the west is only bringing a few crappy light showers here. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

danieljm wrote: »
    here we go again..... agh

A lot of very heavy rain here in Limerick this evening. Difficult driving in the suburbs with lots of pooling water.

There was a bit of damage here last night with the storm as well: signs and fences and even small trees down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭davehey79

Absolutely bickering down the last hour in Strokestown Co.Roscommon and I mean very heavy and windy too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Just driven back up the mountain from Scarriff and there's a hell of a lot of standing water on the roads... More than usual.
    Lots of run-off from the fields and a lot of overflowing gullies and ditches :-(

Advertisement