Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-08-2008, 10:51   #1

laptopsdirect.ie - what are they like?

About to buy a laptop off these guys. Any experiences good or bad? A bit nervous as they are based in England.
Advertisement
28-08-2008, 16:52   #2
killbillvol2

Do a search here and google them. Mixed reviews to say the least. I bought something from them a couple of years ago with no problems but that's not the universal experience.
Thanks from:
28-08-2008, 16:57   #3
Alanstrainor

Good deals can be had, but dealing with them if something goes wrong is a nightmare really. They just try fob you off to the manufacturer. Well this is my experience in the last couple of days with my faulty EEE pc. People seem to have mixed experiences with them though.
28-08-2008, 17:13   #4
Col_Loki

Have bought a number of laptops & a tv from them, no problems and would buy from them again. (i have not had to contact them with any problems).
Thanks from:
28-08-2008, 17:43   #5

I bought a pricy laptop from them last year. Prior to buying I emailed them with some technical questions, then after buying I emailed them several times with other questions.

I never once got a single reply or acknowledgement. Deeply worrying, I would never trust them if I am not even able to make contact with them.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
29-08-2008, 15:26   #6

I tried to order a laptop from laptops direct yesterday. I won't go into the ins and outs of it but the upshot was that after 3 phone calls to the sales line, spelling my address and delivery address out phonetically (a for apple) and dealing with the most condescending, unconcerned telesales agent I have ever come across I decided to buy my laptop from somwhere a little bit more expensive where I had the peace of mind that if something went wrong with my order I wouldn't have to endue phone conversations like that.

If those calls are recorded then the Customer Services manager is doing a pretty poor job of monitoring the agent's performance. They appeared to know nothing about computers apart from whatever information came up on screen and really did not care whether or not they helped me.

If you can deal with that though, the prices are a good bit cheaper
29-08-2008, 16:06   #7
Tom Dunne
Comfortably numb

The general impression I get is that if you purchase from them, and have no problems, you will be fine. I did two years ago and I was fine.

As others have said, it's only when something goes wrong that you see cheaper laptops = no customer service.

I've also commented many times at their underhanded attempts as shilling and generally misleading people on this very forum when I was moderator.

Personally, I would say stay well away from them.
(2) thanks from:
29-08-2008, 18:15   #8

buy a dell, they are cheap enough and if it breaks they come to your door - nuff said
30-08-2008, 20:19   #9
sugarman

Bought from this crowd a good few times, not one problem what so ever. Found em very good to deal with.

My two most recent purchases, 2 laptops for xmas, bought em on on the 14th Dec, recieved em on the 19th and that was only because i missed the courier 2 days earlier. Thought that was excelent service especially on the holidays.

The other laptop i bought 2 years ago, again around xmas arrived swiftly and soon after when vista was released i was due a half price upgrade if i wished too do so. I got a call randomly the week before vista was released asking would i like the upgrade, said no, they offered it to me for free if i took care of p&p then as id used em quite frequent. Needless say an offer i couldnt turn down..

Recommended these to a mate last year, ordered an acer something or other. Would be my look the thing went tits up within the first month of purchase after asuring my mate. Anyway they replied to the email fairly quick, told him to send the laptop back for repair to them, they'd refund the p&p and sure enough they did aswell as send out a complete replacement..

i cant recommend these enough to anyone, only place id use for a laptop, too many unbeatable prices along with excellent service.

As one the other boadsies said already tho, theres mixed few on these, some had some bad trouble but its the same anywhere..
Thanks from:
Advertisement
30-08-2008, 20:31   #10
AlmightyCushion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarman View Post
The other laptop i bought 2 years ago, again around xmas arrived swiftly and soon after when vista was released i was due a half price upgrade if i wished too do so. I got a call randomly the week before vista was released asking would i like the upgrade, said no, they offered it to me for free if i took care of p&p then as id used em quite frequent. Needless say an offer i couldnt turn down..
Wait a minute, they tried to charge you for the vista upgrade? That vista upgrade you were due was meant to be free (apart from p&p). The have some cheek if they were trying to charge people for it.
30-08-2008, 22:05   #11
K-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyCushion View Post
Wait a minute, they tried to charge you for the vista upgrade? That vista upgrade you were due was meant to be free (apart from p&p). The have some cheek if they were trying to charge people for it.
I think he means the original Vista, not the upgrade.
30-08-2008, 22:08   #12
machalla

Don't touch them with a bargepole. The problems I had with dealing with them in regard to a faulty Eee PC are mentioned on a thread on this form

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055354349

I'd never go near them again. I would suggest dealing with someone who doesn't immediately try to claim you need to contact the manufacturer. I did contact the manufacturer who told me that laptops direct were responsible for dealing with the problem before I had to go to them.
30-08-2008, 22:24   #13
regedit

In relation to laptopsdirect, I would recommend that you find another retailer. I bought an acer ferrari a year and a half from them and had issues with acer but as I did not have a contract with acer but with laptopsdirect, they were the ones supposed to help me. FYI, they did not
04-09-2008, 10:32   #14
Zonda999

I ordered an Acer Aspire Laptop off this crowd there last night.I got order confirmation there this morning but under the order status, it reads "We are due to take payment from your Google Account".I find this odd because i did not order using google checkout.There was an option to pay with google checkout but i just payed on their own site.Can anyone who's used them before tell me if it says this even when you've paid on their own site.This is fairly annoying.I was hoping to have it by tomorrow
04-09-2008, 20:33   #15

Ok, so I took into consideration what people were saying and did a bit of research on the net and I opted to order with them.

I asked PC World if I bought a computer off them and something broke in the warranty period, what would happen and they said the same thing to me that it would go back to the manufacturer and take 4-6 weeks. Same thing really. So, I ordered there on Wednesday at 11am. So far they have sent 2 emails. 1 confirming order, 1 confirming payment. No emails since i.e no emails about despatch. So yikes, I hope everything is ok.

On a side note, I paid with my credit card that morning at 11am. By 2 pm that afternoon AIB rang and said that they had detected unusual activity on my credit card account. What service from AIB eh? 3 hours. Never happened before.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion