Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drink spiked - worried

Options
  • 11-09-2007 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭

was out 2 nights ago and was in great form, had eaten plenty, had a few drinks, drunk, but ive had more plenty of times so i know thats not the problem. but totally out of nowhere i have an hour or two gap in my memory and next thing i know i was a fair distance from the club i was in with a total stranger helping me put my shirt back on. next day i was told id been aggressive and violent towards my girlfriend and friends, was paranoid without any reason and generally acted totally out of character. ive never done anything like that before, ive even kept my cool when a guy was trying to kiss my girlfriend in front of me. so can anyone tell me what could have been put in my drink to cause that and if i should be worried about my health now? i was being in no way careful about my drinks by the way so it would have been easy for someone to spike one.
    just to clarify the incident with the other guy was another time i just wanted to make it clear im not a violent person at all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

hmmmmmmmm, trust me you'd KNOW if your drink had been spiked. Sounds like young sir had a few shots and fell down on the social graces. Welcome to the world. Lay off the shots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Doesn't sound like any drugs I know of. Were you overheating at any stage? What can you remember of the night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I don't think there has ever been a succesful prosecution for spiking a drink in this country. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen but I think many girls blame people slipping drugs into their drinks when there is no need-the girls have already drugged themselves with alcohol.

Many girls get drunk and do stuff that is out of charecter but if they say their drink was spiked they get concern and sympathy and if they is they were simply drunk they are told to be more responsible.

Is it possible you were simply drunk OP? In fact it's in your post.

Regarding your limit, sure we've all gone out some nights and had several drinks and a great night or sometimes we have 4 or 5 drinks and we can't remember a thing the next day. At least I have anyway.

Not trying to be harsh OP :)

But I expect all the girls here will post that your drink was spiked and the lads will post that you just couldn't handle your drink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

yeah i remember being grand and then nothing till i was well away from the place i was in. theres no way it was just drink. I have never reacted like that and ive had a lot more to drink on many occasions, and its never ever made me aggressive or violent.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Drink doesn't ALWAYS make you agressive or violent. There are many many conditions in your body which alter how you react to alcohol.

The only way you are going to know for sure is if it happens again, anyway... in which case you need to respect the booze a little more, or you have a nice warning story to tell your kids a few years down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

The only drug that could make you aggressive or violent, would probably be cocaine. But your drink couldn't possibly be spiked with this as liquid negates the effects of it. And it couldn't be a typical date rape drug like rohypnol, because you wouldn't even be able to speak let alone be violent off that. So yeah, it sounds like you went a bit heavy on the drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Most likely you reacted due to an inability to handle the confusion.
    If you had been spiked with Rohypnol, then you would unlikely have been aware of anything until the next day. Anything else would generally not have a detrimental effect to your moods again until the next day.
    Personally it sounds like you had too much, and were very stressed out by the fact you couldnt remember stuff.
    The brain reacts in some very funny ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

Sounds like a similar problem situation to what happend to me a 3 or 4 years back.

Was out to a college gig with a friend of mine, had about 3 pints and 2 vodka redbulls In the space of about 3 - 4 hours (work the next morning).

By midnight I was TOTALLY screwed, somehow managed to get a taxi home things were getting fuzzy and dizzying I dont remember much.

I do remember getting up to bed vaguely ... woke up on the couch in the morning, bathroom door had the locks drilled off, my sister and mom had to get in as I was passed out on the floor, and started shouting in my sleep then afterwards round the house and trying to hit them !!! I dont remember any of it..

BTW I am the "funny sleeper" once i have had a long session .. generally i'll be awake until the party is finishing up .. find a comfortable spot and you'll find me kipping in a corner somewhere, nothing like this ever happend before or since.

The friend I was out with was a hottie and I can only think the drink was probably ment for her (we were both on the V+RB).

Closest incedent I'v seen was the weekend the "spice girl" pills went on sale many years back which had similar effects - full of "K" and whatever other cocktail was in em .. and turned the some of the most passive guys and gals in the world into kicking screaming monsters.

It sent of a series of warning bells to me though .. watch yer drinks lads and lassies.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

jellyk wrote:
    so can anyone tell me what could have been put in my drink to cause that
    Alcohol by the brewery.

I'm sorry but waaay too many try to use the I've been spiked cop out when they've had too much to drink. In my many many years of drinking and clubbing I've only ever seen one person being spiked and that was with acid and that guy definitely knew he was spiked and so would you if you had of been.
    jellyk wrote:
    ive never done anything like that before
    There's a first time for everything.

I've noticed that as I've gotten older I tend to not remember bits of the night before when I've been on the lash, not blackouts per se but definitely hard to recollect parts of the night. A lot of friends have said they experienced this too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Knockoff Nige

I'd say more likely you have had a change in diet or didnt eat before you drank.

• Advertisement

deevey wrote:
    Was out to a college gig with a friend of mine, had about 3 pints and 2 vodka redbulls In the space of about 3 - 4 hours (work the next morning).
    Yeah, definitely spiked.

yeah i remember being grand and then nothing till i was well away from the place i was in. theres no way it was just drink.

Really? How old are you?

Straw poll how many times the following has happened to people here.

Go out,
    Drink Alcohol,
    Drink more alcohol,
    Have shot (usually clear shots aid memory dedgradation more)
    Memory Gap. (2+hours After pub, maybe you don't remember the club)
    Morning (where am I?)

SetantaL: *puts hand up*

Mate, if your drink was spike order would be the following:

Drink,
    More drink
    "Spike"
    Vomit/Collapse/Go ape****

The effects would last a lot longer than 2 hours mate, and you would be feeling very groggy and out of it for a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Yeah sounds like you just had a bit to much to drink. It happens sometimes.

I have been feeling **** since. Im 22, and ive done the:
    Go out,
    Drink Alcohol,
    Drink more alcohol,
    Have shots

lots of times. but ive never forgotten anything, let alone had a blackout. even with far more drink than the other night. for me it just doesnt add up.

Mate, if your drink was spike order would be the following:

Drink,
    More drink
    "Spike"
    Vomit/Collapse/Go ape****

that pretty much explains how it went. I was still ****ed after two hours, i just have a clearer memory.

That's because you're paranoid. 22, that sounds about right for when I started having my first black outs. Try and keep off the shots and you should be fine.

As someone who has treated their body to some horrible chemical abuses at times trust me long term health consequences of a drink spike are nil. It's only persistant abuse that does the damage. Don't believe all the hype over drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Jack Bauer999

slightly confused.

OP, your a guy correct?

when you say "a total stranger helping me put my shirt back on"

did you wake up in some guy's house or something?

yeah im a guy, dunno what happened, this guy was trying to put my shirt on and then he was askin me to go to another club. he seemed to be bein nice and tryin to calm me down but ive no idea really, i got away as soon as i could. i dont think he took the shirt off or anything tho, id say he was just tryin to get me to make sense. i was totally delirious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

You were drunk. Simple as. Stop looking for excuses for your behaviour and lay off the shorts until you grow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭milkerman

Sorry man, you just had too much to drink.
    I have found that people react differently to shorts, shots & beers.
    In my case
    Whiskey - In good company & after a good meal I have cleaned out a full bottle with room for more. Side effect being a greater willingness to laugh.
    Lager - 3 pints & I will be leaking every 20 minutes. Hammered at 6 pints & fall asleep.
    BEER - From a well known micro brewery, 4 pints = Lunatic. I have had to be coaxed down from high places (urge to climb things). All sense of danger gone. Worse again, it works like a truth serum generating comments such as 'You are the most boring person I know'.

Find a drink that suits you & stick to it. I dont think shots are a good idea as the concentration of ethanol may not suit those used to drinking beer.

• Advertisement

i never actually had any shots. i never said that!

i drank my usual, few beers (3 pints) before goin out, then few whiskeys there. felt totally normal then gone!

no shots!

maybe i did have a bad reaction, but i felt well within my limits then no memory.

i never actually had any shots. i never said that!

i drank my usual, few beers (3 pints) before goin out, then few whiskeys there. felt totally normal then gone!

no shots!

Whiskey is not a a shot?

I think all efforts of rational thought to date on this problem may have been over-extended.

Whiskey is known as the "cocaine" of alcohol. I drink it frequently and don't remember anything which presently seems appealling.

OP- I think you'll survive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I'd recommend not mixing your drinks. I've had some bad experiences doing that.

You start off drinking beer, you drink that all night if you want. Start off on Whiskey....wait....no you shouldnt drink that all night... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I assumed the OP was a girl :o

My advice still stands though

jellyk wrote:
    then few whiskeys there
    Haha!!! :D:D:D

Thanks for the laugh there buddy!! Nearly p1ssed meself!! Yeah you were definitely spiked by some big baddy drug dealer that wanted to take you home and have his wicked way with ya.

Have a look at this particularly around the 1:13 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,170 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Just booze mate. I've had some similar experiences while in college where I did things *totally* out of character (that I'm still relieved very few people know about) after what just seemed like a normal night's drinking at the time.

Whiskey makes lots of people go nuts too... my own danger drink is cider, four pints and I turn into an agressive ****wit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭milkerman

I must speak out in defence of Whiskey.
    I does not suit everyone. If you have a bad experience with it then be warned & stay away. For some people with small bladders it is the perfect tipple, just beware of mixers with high sugar content - very sickening.

OP, you had a bad experience - learn from the experience & stay on beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Whiskey!!!, theres your problem right there, stay away from it, doesn't agree with some people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Pinker

It's hard to know what happened, and you'll never really know unless you go to your GP and request a toxicology test, out of curiosity did you notice any physical changes, dilated pupils, increased heartrate, shrunken penis? these are just some of the delightful effects of ecstacy, it's not a subtle drug and you'd know if you had some, maybe a small bit of something else was in your drink, in future try to keep an eye on it.
    I have been spiked once ( 2 very strong pills, which I don't do) not a very nice experience. I was also out with a girl in a club one night when I spotted a pill in the bottom of her drink just as she was about to finish it off. It most certainly happens, it also happens that countless people falsely believe it's happened to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

E wouldn't make you black out. Alcohol would. Whiskey most certainly does odd things to people.

Advertisement