Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drink spiked - worried

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Pinker

E wouldn't make you black out. Alcohol would. Whiskey most certainly does odd things to people.

Of course pills make you black out, happens regularily...

Who knows what happened, get a test done and then you'll know anything else is mere speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

A few whiskeys! FFS any time I had that in the early days blackouts were a guarantee.

Don't touch the stuff now, no matter how much my tolerance has improved it was scary what it could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

E wouldn't make you black out. Alcohol would. Whiskey most certainly does odd things to people.

The only time I took a pill i blacked out for most of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Yeah it sounds like you were just wasted... As i moved on in the years every time i drank I have memory gaps. when it first happened liek you I also thought my drink got spiked but when it started happening every weekend I knew it was time to give up the drink :p

but since then anythime I drink I've stopped going nuts on the shorts and that and haven't had a black out since ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Whiskey is a funny form of alcohol, (based on my experience with it anyway). I've seen it do different things to different people. It makes me very argumentative and stroppy if I have more than 2 snifters. Problem is that I really like whiskey. But I drink it in moderation.

What happened to you is just probably due to the fact that you're getting older. Black spots in your memory will become more common following drinking sessions as you get older. You remember everything when you're an undergrad in college and you can stay up all night. However, that fades fast.

Learn how you handle your drink and stay within those boundaries.

It really doesn't seem that your drink was spiked. You'd be feeling far worse the day afterwards if that had truly been the case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

whatever about pills making you black out (which can happen if aided with lots of booze), it certainly wont make you violent

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Well, the important thing is that the guy wasn't helping you put your y-fronts back on.

It does sound like you had a belly full of booze and you find it easier to explain away your reactions by stating that it was something else. You couldn't possibly have lost control on mere alcohol. What a preposterous idea! However, it is also possible that your drink was spiked. Short of you sending a sample of your whiz to a bordzie with their own lab for analysis, I don't think anyone can help you here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Whether the drink was spiked or not (which I doubt), take it as a wake-up call to start looking after yourself better, as in cut down/out the drink and don't leave them unattended.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Helix wrote:
    whatever about pills making you black out (which can happen if aided with lots of booze), it certainly wont make you violent

B******T where do you people get your facts, pills can very easily make you violent, <snip> unsubstantiated - dudara </snip> E can contain many chemicals including LSD, there is no standard recipe, consequently it can have varied results, it won't always make you violent, but you may certainly become violent on it, as I and I'm sure numerous others have seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Alcohol does not affect people exactly the same way every time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

to much to drink op, if you were spiked you would know, without any room for doubt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Micky 2nd wrote:
    B******T where do you people get your facts, pills can very easily make you violent, <snip> unsubstantiated - dudara </snip> E can contain many chemicals including LSD, there is no standard recipe, consequently it can have varied results, it won't always make you violent, but you may certainly become violent on it, as I and I'm sure numerous others have seen
    Lol, the chances of LSD being in a pill are extremely low, and even if there was, it's not exactly a drug famous for making people violent.

Of course, you're right about not knowing what chemicals are in a pill, and one certainly could become violent on one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Micky 2nd wrote:
    B******T where do you people get your facts, pills can very easily make you violent

8 years of taking them, and having mates taking them

ive never once seen anyone even so much as start an arguement on pills

the odds of getting lsd in pills are laughably small

why put something that you could sell for more than the price of a €2 pill, into a €2 pill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Dalfiatach

Almost certainly the whiskey IMO.

I'm fine on whiskey myself, I can drink it all night and just get happy drunk. But with a lot of people whiskey drives them demented. IIRC some study or other showed that roughly 1/3 of people simply can't handle whiskey at all. Even one shot is enough to trigger wild aggression and acting a complete knob.

After nearly 20 years of drinking, the drinks that I've observed turning certain friends into complete lunatics are whiskey; vodka (esp. with red bull); Aftershocks; gin (rarely, but it makes some people paranoid and weepy); tequila (love it myself, but some people seem to think they are invincible superheroes after a couple of shots); and bizarrely enough Satzenbrau (my sister, who goes mad and starts smashing things).

So all the above should be treated with respect, and if you act out of character once while drinking them then simply stop drinking them. Plenty more drinks out there...

Also, with a 2 hour memory gap, you have no idea what you were drinking while you were blacked out. You could have been firing the shots of whiskey into you like a mad thing for ages after the switch in your brain went "click"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭im_invisible

just to throw my 2cents in, probably-definatly the whiskey,
    also ive blacked-out a few times while taking pills, but that was always when i was drinking a lot aswell, never when i only took pills, or didnt drink too much with them.

off topic here, but what would the effects be if he was spiked with cocaine? i presume it would be a lot slower acting, like smoking vs eating hash, and i know the chemicals in coke and booze are meant to react, creating some proper-harmful chemical

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

off topic here, but what would the effects be if he was spiked with cocaine?
    A) He wouldn't really notice other than being able to drink more than usual or maybe if if he was spiked with a lot of decent/strong coke he'd start to grind his teeth.

and..

B) Why the fook would anybody spike someone else with a load of coke??? It's not as if the stuff is cheap.

and i know the chemicals in coke and booze are meant to react, creating some proper-harmful chemical
    You know this? Or you know this is meant to happen?

Why exactly, however if some young guy is selling bags of the stuff it doesn't exactly cost that much for him...

Pinker wrote:
    Why exactly, however if some young guy is selling bags of the stuff it doesn't exactly cost that much for him...
    Haha, yeah right!

I can just see it now, a young guy selling bags of the stuff is willing to put €100 worth of coke into a stranger's drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭milkerman

OP - I think you just have to accept the most likely scenario here, you started with an entre of beer before moving on to a main course of whiskey. Depending on the volumes consumed and whether you had eaten before going out, the scenario you described fits in nicely with being well hammered.

It is possible but unlikely that your drink was spiked. It is also unlikely that you were abducted by aliens and subjected to extensive anal probing.

Put this one down to experience and treat whiskey with the respect it so richly deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

milkerman wrote:
    I must speak out in defence of Whiskey.
    I does not suit everyone. If you have a bad experience with it then be warned & stay away. For some people with small bladders it is the perfect tipple, just beware of mixers with high sugar content - very sickening.

OP, you had a bad experience - learn from the experience & stay on beer.
    Where did you defend whiskey?

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote:
    Haha, yeah right!

I can just see it now, a young guy selling bags of the stuff is willing to put €100 worth of coke into a stranger's drink.

Oh so if your imagination can't stretch that far it's not plausible is that how it works?

Look if your shifting a fair bit of coke whats worth e100 on the streets costs a hell of a lot less to the person shifting loads of it, I've seen it happen with guys pouring the stuff out, and I know a group of dodgy mo fo's where they dropped a load of it different drinks one night at club for the laugh,...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

SetantaL wrote:
    Whiskey is not a a shot?
    No. You're meant to drink it slowly. Well, opposed to something like a shot of Jagermeister or a Baby Guinness.
    Pinker wrote:
    Who knows what happened, get a test done and then you'll know anything else is mere speculation.
    A test done for what? Rape drugs stay in your system for a very short time. If you got slipped something, and went to a police station when you woke up, chances are that the drug will no longer be detectable.
    Helix wrote:
    Well, I can't say either way, but cannibis will make people mellow, stoned, or extremely paranoid, thinking that everyone is out to get them. By this, I mean, pills for the most part may have one effect, but everyone is different.

=-=

OP, next time you go mad on the drink, you'll wake up at home, with no idea how you got there, clutching a traffic cone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Dalfiatach wrote:
    I'm fine on whiskey myself, I can drink it all night and just get happy drunk. But with a lot of people whiskey drives them demented. IIRC some study or other showed that roughly 1/3 of people simply can't handle whiskey at all.
    ...and I'd be one of them. I'm a very tranquil, placid person by nature but whiskey makes mongo mad.

I was over drinking in my dad's house recently, was on the pints, suddenly whiskey is produced and queue the Homer Simpson 'Scene Deleted' moment. Next thing I know I'm on his sofa with an unmerciful pain in my ribs.

I had a 2 hour blackout, during which I was told that I tried to punch out most of his fitted kitchen and then slammed myself down on the toilet, nearly breaking my ribs. I remember none of this.

I'm no lightweight either. I could happily polish off an entire bottle of Jagermeister and still be well within my senses at the end of the night and get up full of the joys of spring.

Pinker wrote:
    Oh so if your imagination can't stretch that far it's not plausible is that how it works?

Look if your shifting a fair bit of coke whats worth e100 on the streets costs a hell of a lot less to the person shifting loads of it, I've seen it happen with guys pouring the stuff out, and I know a group of dodgy mo fo's where they dropped a load of it different drinks one night at club for the laugh,...
    Oh no you're right, happens all the time. I don't even bother buying drugs anymore, I just go out to nightclubs and leave my drinks lying around. I called it Drug Roulette.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

jellyk wrote:
    i never actually had any shots. i never said that!

i drank my usual, few beers (3 pints) before goin out, then few whiskeys there. felt totally normal then gone!

no shots!

maybe i did have a bad reaction, but i felt well within my limits then no memory.

Wait a second...

1 - You had a few drinks.
    2 - You went out and kept drinking.
    3 - ??? Missing time ???
    4 - Out on the street

How do you know you didn't have another eight whiskeys at point three there?

BaZmO* wrote:
    Oh no you're right, happens all the time. I don't even bother buying drugs anymore, I just go out to nightclubs and leave my drinks lying around. I called it Drug Roulette.

Did I say it happens al the time? No Basmo I didn't, as for leaving your drinks lying around, good man aren't you a great little chap.

To be honest I couldn't care less what you think, I'm more interested in assisting the OP, instead of talking with someone with a limited imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Mmm... to most the nay-sayers in here: you appear to be describing standard rohypnol effects, and fine with that.

But rohypnol is not the sole chemical, if rohypnol at all, that could have been put in the glass. I think [personal opinion] you're all a bit too quick to chastise the OP's drinking.

I once got my glass of Coke (std, full-fat Coke) spiked with 'something' in a Sheffield Pub, late Thursday drinks after work. I had not had any alcohol, was fit & healthy, no external factors - and the thing must have been fast-acting, because I started with alternating shivers & overheating (high fever-like) + slight nausea inside 10 minutes of taking a sip. So quick it was actually a "saving grace" of sorts, because I'm not a fast drinker and I'd just had a sip and then no more (since the symptoms started so quick, unexplicably).

Can't say if I was the target, or my Mrs, or what (we're about as unlikely to have drinks spiked as possible :rolleyes:, don't go out that often, don't habitually frequent places where drinks are spiked, etc. - quite sedate really :o)

Hospital was close enough by that my Mrs dropped me off and I got bloods done 'in time': there was 'something' but they couldn't say what (as a drug name), just a variety of chemicals (2-3) with which the medics were not familiar. So go figure if the OP's drink indeed wasn't spiked :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

Did you get the glass of coke tested?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

and i know the chemicals in coke and booze are meant to react, creating some proper-harmful chemical
    BaZmO* wrote:
    You know this? Or you know this is meant to happen?

Alcohol and cocaine do mix to form cocaethylene which is a lot more toxic. I don't think however that it causes any changes in behaviour, more that it's viewed as more of a health risk than doing cocaine without alcohol.

http://www.irishhealth.com/index.html?level=4&id=7809

• Advertisement

Did you get the glass of coke tested?
    Rhetorical questions are not useful

Advertisement