Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drink spiked - worried

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Nah, just left it there in the commotion (no cops involved, didn't even notify bar staff - basically just walked out the bar, 200 yards to hospital A&E to get me seen to ASAP). Big mistake, with 20/20 hindsight ;)

PS - mind you, it was a few years before "C.S.I." :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

ambro25 wrote:
    But rohypnol is not the sole chemical, if rohypnol at all, that could have been put in the glass. I think [personal opinion] you're all a bit too quick to chastise the OP's drinking.
    Yes, but the symptoms described are indicative of alcohol.

The OP seems be concluding that they were spiked due solely to some silly idea that alcohol has a great deal of consistency in its effects.

They imbibed alcohol. They suffered effects that can be caused by imbibing alcohol. Occam's razor says...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Pinker wrote:
    Rhetorical questions are not useful
    Or are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

Pinker wrote:
    Rhetorical questions are not useful
    Wasn't Rhetorical. Just wanted to know if the poster knew for sure that the 'chemicals' came from the coke? But he's answered now so...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Talliesin wrote:
    Yes, but the symptoms described are indicative of alcohol.

The OP seems be concluding that they were spiked due solely to some silly idea that alcohol has a great deal of consistency in its effects.

They imbibed alcohol. They suffered effects that can be caused by imbibing alcohol. Occam's razor says...

I won't dispute that alcohol effects are inherently inconsistent.

All the same, I won't accept that it's a duck just because it looks and walks like a duck: fact of the matter is, once you've gone beyond the threshold of 100% lucidity, the perceived difference between a few more drinks or some chemical is going to be moot. Onlookers (such as in this thread, but I'm referring to people at the scene just the same) will deem you drunk as skunk, when you could well be in the throes of drug assimilation with 0 g alcohol / litre - when you wouldn't know yourself while 'under'.

My point is simply that: you don't know (neither does the OP), so don't be too quick to point the finger, is all.

Patrickolee - The chemicals can't have come from anywhere else. I don't do drugs of any form, never have. I smoke, only regular over the counter stuff, not under the counter/contraband. I'm not under any medication (wasn't under any either, and I must take about 5 paracetamols in a bad year), no known allergies. I'd been sipping from that coke (pint of) fine for 20 minutes beforehand with no bother. Looked the other way for a couple of minutes (went to talk to someone), came back, took another sip and within 10 minutes I felt a rag doll.

• Advertisement

Wasn't Rhetorical.
    Don't think Ponker meant "Rhetorical"
    I think he/she meant "Retrospective" or at least that would make more sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

ambro25 wrote:
    Looked the other way for a couple of minutes (went to talk to someone), came back, took another sip and within 10 minutes I felt a rag doll.

See that's the thing. It generally wouldn't act that quickly. Most drugs you ingest (not that I'm an expert!) take effect about 30-40 minutes of being ingested. 10 mins is just a little quick, that's why I was wondering if there could have been another source.

Just read somewhere that GHB acts a little quicker, so maybe that was it.

Here's someone on GHB ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPZqdJq9lg0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭psilocybe

Just read somewhere that GHB acts a little quicker, so maybe that was it.

Anyone who has ever tasted GHB will tell you that it is a very unlikely candidate.

It would leave the victim wondering who the **** poured saltwater into their drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

I had my drink spiked with Rohypnol in Moscow.
    I couldn't stand up up afterwards or stay awake.
    Woke up 14hrs later with all valuables gone.
    I think if it was Rohypnol you certainly wuddn't be agressive.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

'My gf had the same experience and she was checked out by a doctor. Said she had just to much to drink. Its a myth. People do not spike drinks.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=436592&in_page_id=1770'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

Roofies knock you out basically. You have no will of your own, or strngth to fight or anything. Your a helpless sack, and you don't rememember anything at all. ketamine is similar (or so I hear).

I don't see people wasting club drugs on a stranger, and hallogenics, you'd know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

A doctor who deals with cases of rape said there have been ZERO cases of spiked drink + rape in Ireland.

It's always too much alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Right, let's bring it back on topic, although I think the message to the OP is pretty clear at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

dudara wrote:
    Right, let's bring it back on topic, although I think the message to the OP is pretty clear at this stage

I was watching a special on drugs, date rape etc on prime time on tv and it said that NOONE in Ireland has ever tested positive for the date rape drug from an alleged spiking incident and in all cases anyone who though their drink has been spiked were only very drunk. Thats not to say someone didnt spike their drink with more alcohol (double/triple vodkas instead of single servings etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Pinker

cazzy wrote:
    I was watching a special on drugs, date rape etc on prime time on tv and it said that NOONE in Ireland has ever tested positive for the date rape drug from an alleged spiking incident and in all cases anyone who though their drink has been spiked were only very drunk. Thats not to say someone didnt spike their drink with more alcohol (double/triple vodkas instead of single servings etc)

I have been spiked once ( 2 very strong pills, which I don't do) not a very nice experience. I was also out with a girl in a club one night when I spotted a pill in the bottom of her drink just as she was about to finish it off. It most certainly happens, it also happens that countless people falsely believe it's happened to them.

And I have seen drinks being spiked.

BaZmO* wrote:
    Don't think Ponker meant "Rhetorical"
    I think he/she meant "Retrospective" or at least that would make more sense.

No Bonzo :) , I meant rhetorical, as OP would have surely mentioned it in the thread opener so I assumed P.Lee was being rhetorical, in retrospect I may have jumped the gum.

Pinker wrote:
    in retrospect I may have jumped the gum.
    A sticky situation indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭CherieAmour

I know I was spiked and it is not a nice experience. It is certainly very distinctive and stands out from any mad alcohol related experience I've ever had (and there have been plenty :()

I've had nights on whiskey and vodka & red bull where I turned into a completely crazed lunatic! I look back at some of those nights the things I did and it's like looking at a different person in action.

When I was spiked I had had 2 drinks. I was in the pub about an hour, was completely lucid and together and was in no way close to tipsy. I had left my drink to go to the loo. After an hour, I was walking out on to the dancefloor when my legs went from under me. Everyone remembers seeing it and I don't even remember experiencing it. I was like a rag doll. I had black outs and in any recollections that came back to me after, I had this horrible tunnel vision.

I ended up in A&E beside some junkies shouting "she's on the E". I'd never taken a drug in my life and didn't (still don't know) what E can do, I doubt this was it though from other people's descriptions of what happens to them when they're on it.

Blacked out again. Next memory is of parents standing over me and me lying in a bed. Doctor wasn't available for hours so they decided to take me home. It was the night before Christmas Eve.

I spent Christmas Eve unable to walk with numbness and tingling in my legs and other parts of my body. Normal services resumed Christmas Day.

As I've said, I've been so wasted at times and have had complete blackouts (esp with shots!!) and have done some crazy stuff, but nothing like this.

Strange that stats say that no one has ever tested positive for a spiking, but this doesnt mean it isnt going on! How many put it down to overdoing it on the sauce and do nothing about it?

That said, there are a hell of a lot of folk who think they have been spiked when they haven't. Alcohol does strange things to us all.

BaZmO* wrote:
    A sticky situation indeed
    Its certainly one to chew on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

Tommy_J wrote:
    Said she had just to much to drink. Its a myth. People do not spike drinks.

Bull****, my drink was spiked i know that it was spiked because out having a good night dancing, drinking water for most of the evening next thing i am stumbling around like a drunkard unable to stand the rest of the night and most of the next day is a blank. A good friend carried me home so nothing bad happened but drinks do get spiked and people need to be vigilant with their drinks. Oh i never got tested by the doctore, because by the time i came out of it fully and got myself compsed it was too late, doc said no point in testing after 48hrs.

• Advertisement

ali.c wrote:
    Bull****, my drink was spiked i know that it was spiked because out having a good night dancing, drinking water for most of the evening next thing i am stumbling around like a drunkard unable to stand the rest of the night and most of the next day is a blank. A good friend carried me home so nothing bad happened but drinks do get spiked and people need to be vigilant with their drinks. Oh i never got tested by the doctore, because by the time i came out of it fully and got myself compsed it was too late, doc said no point in testing after 48hrs.

Thank you, there are so many 'authorithies' on spiked drinks here who seem hellbent on the fact that drinks never get spiked. RE: my aforementioned spiking aswell as knowing myself I had just been spiked, my mates knew the asshole who did it and he confessed when he saw how sick I got, plus the doctors could tell me what was in my system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

One of my friends was spiked recently, we thought he had just had to much to drink until he completely passed out and started frothng at the mouth. I brought him to the hospital and the doctors said he had liquid e in his system- he swears he never took it(and considering he is on the interprovincial rugby team I believe him). There are definately people out there who spike drinks- you just have to avoid them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

Drinks do get spiked, but it seems unlikely this happened to the OP. IT does happen though, some people get off on seeing someone messed up. A guy I used to know spiked a lot of girls, he got caught red handed when one girl , who was drinking only diet coke, started falling all over the place, and had to be carried home basically. He put a very friendly date-rape drug in her drink, and only neither she nor her friends were drinking he would have gotten away with it.

He also used to spike his girlfriend, one time at a party, to do god knows what to her, and to allow his mates do the same. Classy guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

i actually watched as my friends drinks were spiked. i was shellshocked and straight away told them. the guy in question ran away as soon as he did it. i figured i could either

a) chase him (while they got twisted)
    or
    b) tell them straight away (sadly letting the guy go)

i got screamed at by the girls (including my sister) for not chasing the guy.

my point is spiking does exist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Just had a night like that on Friday, Im 20 at the moment and am starting to notice more and more blackouts when Im drinking.

After 10 pints, fairly bolloxed but vaguely coherent. Queue the whisky.
    One shot, and I mean one, and Im literally bojangled. Im absolutly fine just drinking beer, but the smallest amount of spirits and Im off the loose end. I could have 4 pints, a tipple of whisky and i'll be smashed, violant and just a plain jackass.

Stay on the oats man.

Advertisement