Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memories of mad stuff that happened on live TV.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

I dont mean to be padantic, but as far as I know, no road race crashes were ever Live

Yeah, I think the race was live but I don't think the camera was on his car at the time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Im a huge motorsport fan, and have witnessed loads of horrible incident live on TV. Sennas being the most infamous.
    But for me it had to be Marco Simoncellis crash in Malaysia, Rossi his best mate had unfortunate part to play in his death, which as a huge Rossi fan hurts
    I'm decrepit enough to remember 70's F1 when drivers being horribly injured or dying was common enough. I very much remember as a kid watching with my dad Niki Lauda's crash and how it looked like he had died, only to come back a few races later. It was only much later in my life that I realised how unbelievable that comeback was.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Yeah, I think the race was live but I don't think the camera was on his car at the time.

Senna that is

Wibbs wrote:
    I'm decrepit enough to remember 70's F1 when drivers being horribly injured or dying was common enough. I very much remember as a kid watching with my dad Niki Lauda's crash and how it looked like he had died, only to come back a few races later. It was only much later in my life that I realised how unbelievable that comeback was.

The gilles villeneuve (father of jacques) was another horrible one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Tom Pryce + the Race Marshal in the 1977 South African Grand Prix. The latter running across the track.
    The fire extinguisher.....
    Rough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Paul Weller

It was very funny when Preston from Big Brother walked out on Never Mind The Buzzcocks. Simon Amstel just kept ripping the pi55 out of him, then started reading from his wife’s, Chantelle from Big Brothers, autobiography. He threw a massive hissy fit and stormed off.

The episode where he was slagging Amy Winehouse..and actually asked her to get help..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The episode where he was slagging Amy Winehouse..and actually asked her to get help..

They were very close too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Paul Weller

breezy1985 wrote: »
    They were very close too

Indeed, knew each other from childhood

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Pat Ingoldsby had a live kids show in the 80s called Pat's hat or Pat's chat?? He asked a kid to tell a joke and the kid comes out with the "me no fool, me no silly, me drink water from Daddy's willy" joke live on the telly. Shocking at the time so it was. Twas fair awkward for poor auld Pat and his mad hat trying to stop the lad too 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Kalimah

Ghostwatch. Must be about 25 years ago. Scared the life out of me!!

That was Halloween 1992- my daughter was 10 days old so I remember it very well. I was convinced for a good part of the way through it that it was real. Then I thought I recognised Ruth McCabe (the Irish actress) and I had my doubts then.
    It was really well fine overall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,634 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Tom Pryce + the Race Marshal in the 1977 South African Grand Prix. The latter running across the track.
    The fire extinguisher.....
    Rough.

Another one was the fatal crash that killed Gordon Smiley at Indianapolis in 1982. I have yet to see a more violent crash. Not sure if it was live but its on youtube. Roger Williamsons crash at Zandvoort 1973 was horrific as well.

I saw the crashes that killed Senna, Greg Moore and Jeff Crosnoff live. Of those 3, I thought Senna would live but not the other 2 drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

I remember talking to my friend on 9/11 and watching on the news as the second plane crashing into the towers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

here's her account of it......

(the health & safety man sounds like great craic on a night out :cool:)

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Another one was the fatal crash that killed Gordon Smiley at Indianapolis in 1982. I have yet to see a more violent crash. Not sure if it was live but its on youtube. Roger Williamsons crash at Zandvoort 1973 was horrific as well.

I saw the crashes that killed Senna, Greg Moore and Jeff Crosnoff live. Of those 3, I thought Senna would live but not the other 2 drivers.

The Gordon Smiley one is grim
    I was too young to see the Roger Williamson crash but have seen the footage. Absolutely preventable - a terrible sequence of events and I really felt for David Purley. Desperate that they only had one fire extinguisher and kept the race going which meant the fire engine took a while to get to the scene. Remember David Purley died in a plane crash mid 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Saw this happen live, surprisingly as I hardly ever watch TV3. Misleading title as the reporter was threatened rather than attacked. Read somewhere that yer man was in a pub around the corner and did it as a drunken bet. The reporter didnt press charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭gooseygander

Not sure how to put links up but that tulip Ming Flanagan’s interview on the Vincent Browne show about getting a speeding fine quashed by a garda sergeant was some laugh. He made a total tool of himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

If you've seen this guy on I'm A Celeb you will know what an egotistical little twat he is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Out of all the stuff I've watched on this great thread, the man on fire on the pitch at Valley Parade, Bradford is still in my head. Poor man later died in hospital. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭FHFM50

The lead singer of Green Day having a breakdown on stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

oh how i wish someone did this to him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

When pat kenny got a bollocking for his high salary in RTE during the Boom
    I just remember the words of your man as it cut to an add
    "Now I'm going off to sue an woman as I might make a couple of grand"
    It was hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Lundstram wrote: »
    Out of all the stuff I've watched on this great thread, the man on fire on the pitch at Valley Parade, Bradford is still in my head. Poor man later died in hospital. :(

Had never seen the full video before, not able for that part...****ing hell :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

If you've seen this guy on I'm A Celeb you will know what an egotistical little twat he is

True but he did sing Videotheque, one of my favourite singles of the 1980s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

oh how i wish someone did this to him

The way they switched the audio after he got pushed off to make it seem as if he wasn't miming is hilarious as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Carodh

The night the Berlin Wall came down. I was 14 & my Dad woke us up to see history being made. At the time we didn’t even fully understand what was happening but we knew this was the world changing right there.

Advertisement