Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

The barrow crossing 18/06/19

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

Great videos... but I’d strongly recommend watching them with the sound muted!!! 😒

The barrow crossing 24/06/19 (pic fb)
    2LwQmjw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭eagerv

No visible gaps this morning, looks as though crossing possible via traveler.:)

Wj6mSXw.jpg

XVvZxs0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

I know this officially has a November opening date but I wonder if they'll aim for the October bank hol weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,638 ✭✭✭✭josip

I know this officially has a November opening date but I wonder if they'll aim for the October bank hol weekend

Dukes of Hazard are aiming for July 1st.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Such a refreshing scheme to look at. An actual proper solution of a road scheme rather than a cheap cop out. It'll be amazing to drive on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

marno21 wrote: »
    Such a refreshing scheme to look at. An actual proper solution of a road scheme rather than a cheap cop out. It'll be amazing to drive on.

All sixty seconds of it.

Edit: actually, more like thirty seconds - it is about 350 metres long and travelling at 120 km/hr means that you will get across it in thirty seconds. However, the first time you cross you might slow down to enhance the experience.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

All sixty seconds of it.

Those sixty seconds will be a major improvement on spending many minutes staring at the walls of New Ross

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Those sixty seconds will be a major improvement on spending many minutes staring at the walls of New Ross

Why do they terminate the new bit with roundabouts at both ends?

Surely a free flow solution would have been better so that through traffic just keeps on the N25 without the hassle of two roundabouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

All sixty seconds of it.

Edit: actually, more like thirty seconds - it is about 350 metres long and travelling at 120 km/hr means that you will get across it in thirty seconds. However, the first time you cross you might slow down to enhance the experience.

30 seconds and two penalty points if you cross at 120 kph!

Why do they terminate the new bit with roundabouts at both ends?

Surely a free flow solution would have been better so that through traffic just keeps on the N25 without the hassle of two roundabouts.

There’s a 90 degree turn on the N25 at both N25 junctions which may have something to do with it

I’d imagine the junction at Glenmore will be grade separated as part of the planned Waterford-Glenmore scheme which will also be Type 1 DC. No idea about the one east of New Ross but volumes are lower there anyway

MichealD wrote: »
    30 seconds and two penalty points if you cross at 120 kph!

But it will be worth it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

There’s a 90 degree turn on the N25 at both N25 junctions which may have something to do with it

I’d imagine the junction at Glenmore will be grade separated as part of the planned Waterford-Glenmore scheme which will also be Type 1 DC. No idea about the one east of New Ross but volumes are lower there anyway

If volumes justified upgrading the N25 there would be a new alignment and tie in, so not much point building a full interchange now with current volumes of traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

jd wrote: »
    If volumes justified upgrading the N25 there would be a new alignment and tie in, so not much point building a full interchange now with current volumes of traffic.
    The volume at Carrickbyrne (on the N25 towards Wexford about 10km from the Ballymacar roundabout) is 8K AADT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

All sixty seconds of it.

Its not a motorway. In fact they will probably drop the speed limit to 80 giving it is a bridge across such a span.

Speed limit on the bridge will be 100km/h.

The bridge and approach from the Glenmore side will be motorway standard so there is a possibility in the future when the Waterford-Glenmore section is built that Kilmeaden-New Ross may become 120km/h

Well, it could go to 120 km/h, according to Marno21.

The Glenmore-R733 section is to motorway standards so could theoretically be 120km/h, although it is only 4km long

In the future, it would be wonderful if lost Waterford/Glenmore the entire Kilmeaden-New Ross section could be upped to 120km/h and became the M25. Very hard to find a reason not to do so

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

In the future, it would be wonderful if lost Waterford/Glenmore the entire Kilmeaden-New Ross section could be upped to 120km/h and became the M25. Very hard to find a reason not to do so
    I've said it before, but IMO the last motorways we need to build in Ireland are to finish the M11, then the M20, M25 and M24.

And that's it. That'll be us finished with motorways.

(Actually I'd extend the M4 as far as Longford, but that's an extension rather than a brand new build.)

(Someone's going to reply and say M24 not needed - but I'm thinking future-proofing. Build it once. Only.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

serfboard wrote: »
    I've said it before, but IMO the last motorways we need to build in Ireland are to finish the M11, then the M20, M25 and M24.

(Actually I'd extend the M4 as far as Longford, but that's an extension rather than a brand new build.)

(Someone's going to reply and say M24 not needed - but I'm thinking future-proofing. Build it once. Only.)

Cork to Waterford

Limerick to Waterford

Both motorways please :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I would take an upgraded railway to Limerick over the M24.

There's a case for around 10km of M2, 40km of M4, the M6 Galway bypass, 10km or so of M15 north of Sligo, 20km of M21, 25km of M22, the M28, the M40 North Ring in Cork and 25km of M71. Plus as you say, M11 to Wexford, the M20 entirely, the M25 between Midleton and Youghal, and between Waterford and Glenmore, and some M24 approaching Limerick.

There is certainly no need for an M24 along much of the route. It's only busy approaching Limerick and Waterford, and between Cahir and Clonmel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

There's a case for around 10km of M2, 40km of M4, the M6 Galway bypass, 10km or so of M15 north of Sligo, 20km of M21, 25km of M22, the M28, the M40 North Ring in Cork and 25km of M71. Plus as you say, M11 to Wexford, the M20 entirely, the M25 between Midleton and Youghal, and between Waterford and Glenmore, and some M24 approaching Limerick.

There is certainly no need for an M24 along much of the route. It's only busy approaching Limerick and Waterford, and between Cahir and Clonmel.

Yeah I think we went through the numbers on the N24 recently on this forum: the whole journey doesn't need motorway status.

I'm torn by M25 Midleton to Youghal: Castlemartyr and Killeagh bypasses would be needed, but I'm not certain of the rest?
    Youghal bridge definitely needs a refurb or replacement if no M25 is forthcoming.

Yeah I think we went through the numbers on the N24 recently on this forum: the whole journey doesn't need motorway status.

I'm torn by M25 Midleton to Youghal: Castlemartyr and Killeagh bypasses would be needed, but I'm not certain of the rest?
    Youghal bridge definitely needs a refurb or replacement if no M25 is forthcoming.

Traffic volumes west of Castlemartyr are c. 17k which is in motorway/Type 1 DC territory.

The main issue with any potential M25 will be Lakeview. Quite a tricky one

Mod: Can we wait for the join up of the RFK bridge please.

If you want to start a 'Motorways we might like' thread, then go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I don't think it'll be too bad. One option: Online upgrade of the Midleton bypass, make Lakeview a N-S overbridge and move the Lakeview 'junction' a few hundred meters east to a new spot in the fields east of Ballinacurra. Shove in link roads. Can be done with no demolition, or very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭steeler j

m17 wrote: »
    The barrow crossing 24/06/19 (pic fb)
    2LwQmjw.jpg
    How do you take them off when fully finished, just curious

steeler j wrote: »
    How do you take them off when fully finished, just curious

They are taking off by crane then the finishing joint is put in place just like the altantic bridge
    XtiEKZE.jpg

GHGj5pS.jpg

IpatKqS.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭prunudo

Where is that bridge ^^^

• Advertisement

prunudo wrote: »
    Where is that bridge ^^^

Panama

Advertisement