Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭prunudo

m17 wrote: »
    Panama

I see

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭steeler j

They are taking off by crane then the finishing joint is put in place just like the altantic bridge

Thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

They are taking off by crane then the finishing joint is put in place just like the altantic bridge

I’m confused. Is that not the New Ross bridge? If it’s the Panama bridge it looks exactly like the NR one.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

spacetweek wrote: »
    I’m confused. Is that not the New Ross bridge? If it’s the Panama bridge it looks exactly like the NR one.

I think you should have gone to SpecSavers pal! ;-)

The Atlantic bridge is more than three times longer than the New Ross bridge at 2800 meters. It has two pylons with cable stays whereas the NR bridge has three. The pylons are taller so the angles of the cables are significantly different. The Atlantic Bridge has far more piers too.
    A serious piece of engineering too. Not as serious as the Panama Canal though. Would love to go there some day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

spacetweek wrote: »

It is a suspension bridge, not an Extradose one. The towers are too tall to be Extradose. The deck is not mostly self supporting, so construction at the last phase would be different, I would think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

I think you should have gone to SpecSavers pal! ;-)

The Atlantic bridge is more than three times longer than the New Ross bridge at 2800 meters. It has two pylons with cable stays whereas the NR bridge has three. The pylons are taller so the angles of the cables are significantly different. The Atlantic Bridge has far more piers too.
    A serious piece of engineering too. Not as serious as the Panama Canal though. Would love to go there some day.
    Only two two pylons over the river, so he'd be forgiven for confusing the two.
    At first glance I assumed it was it was NR one too , until the question was asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭badgerbroc11

What's the estimated time saving for a commute from Enniscorthy to Waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭NedNew2

9 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭CoBo55

NedNew2 wrote: »
    9 minutes

At the very least, no more 70km/h drivers from Corcoran's roundabout!!! Can't bloody wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,782 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

this + the Enniscorthy bypass should make the east coast route faster than the M9 for anyone going from south Dublin or north Wicklow to Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

loyatemu wrote: »
    this + the Enniscorthy bypass should make the east coast route faster than the M9 for anyone going from south Dublin or north Wicklow to Waterford.

Just needs the rest of the N30 realigned now, including a bypass of Clonroche, and job's a goodun'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Might make an interesting experiment when these road schemes are finished to compare journey times from Sandyford to Waterford via M7/M9 Vs M11/N30.

Google reckons it's currently 10 mins faster from Dun Laoghaire via the M9; I'd expect the 2 new bypasses to more than cancel that out but you'd still have a fair bit of single carriageway road on the N11/N30/N25 route so more potential to be held up and/or die horribly in a head on crash (I hate those wide N roads).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

(I hate those wide N roads).

I know exactly what you mean - they're a curse. Carriageway separation FTW.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Google reckons it's currently 10 mins faster from Dun Laoghaire via the M9; I'd expect the 2 new bypasses to more than cancel that out but you'd still have a fair bit of single carriageway road on the N11/N30/N25 route so more potential to be held up and/or die horribly in a head on crash (I hate those wide N roads).
    Waterford-Glenmore should be up for doing in the next 6/7 years. The New Ross-Moneytucker N30 section is one of the few sections of national primary road not even in the Top 70 schemes at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

serfboard wrote: »
    Might make an interesting experiment when these road schemes are finished to compare journey times from Sandyford to Waterford via M7/M9 Vs M11/N30.

I'm in Cobh, and have worked out that M11/N30 to say, Greystones is on par with M7/M8 once the NewRoss and Enniscorthy bits are done.

Traffic dependant of course. But the M11/N30 run is far, far more scenic.

I'm in Cobh, and have worked out that M11/N30 to say, Greystones is on par with M7/M8 once the NewRoss and Enniscorthy bits are done.

Traffic dependant of course. But the M11/N30 run is far, far more scenic.

problem with using that route to/from Cork is the number of towns and villages you still have to go through between Cork and Waterford. Lots of opportunities to get snared up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

problem with using that route to/from Cork is the number of towns and villages you still have to go through between Cork and Waterford. Lots of opportunities to get snared up.

Some of the villages might Killeagh the average speed,
    ( really trying to showhorn some martyr ref here....)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Oh for definite. Castlemartyr, Killeagh and Dungarvan. Late at night or first thing in the morning its a great route. 100kmh the whole way and straight through the middle of Dungarvan town which is shorter and skips seven of the nine roundabouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

The barrow crossing 29/06/19 (pic fb)
    AzKiPP5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

The barrow crossing 29/06/19 (pic fb)
    AzKiPP5.jpg

Nice shot. Is it from Carrickbyrne Hill?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭skodacb

Bit of a mist late when I took these.

https://imgur.com/a/p9hHpu3

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭smokie72

alta stare wrote: »
    Nice shot. Is it from Carrickbyrne Hill?

Look like it's from Slievecoiltie

smokie72 wrote: »
    Look like it's from Slievecoiltie

Cool thanks. Never heard of it. I must google it and make a trip there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭JohnC.

alta stare wrote: »
    Cool thanks. Never heard of it. I must google it and make a trip there.

The entrance is more or less opposite the entrance to John F Kennedy Arboretum.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭josip

These days you can drive all the way to the top.
    Great views of South Wexford from the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

48154894062_c637e686b4_b.jpg

today

JohnC. wrote: »
    The entrance is more or less opposite the entrance to John F Kennedy Arboretum.

Nice one thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

The barrow crossing 04/11/18
    PNYQZ6v.jpg

29/06/19
    AzKiPP5.jpg

Advertisement