Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Has the bridge deck completely joined up at this stage?

Almost. There are a few pictures back which show how close it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

#1391 is the latest....looks like you could jump across the gap.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

blindsider wrote: »
    #1391 is the latest....looks like you could jump across the gap.........

Either they are sacking anyone that attempts it or there must be pictures of someone doing it by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Great bit of engineering and lovely to look at. Amazing feat.

That few know about though apart from the locals!

And would you all ever quit with your anti Dublin bias right now please. It just makes you sound like pinched faced yokels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I don't think there's any anti Dublin bias in here? A bit of a snide comment from one poster about it being over designed is the only negative comment I've seen and the poster was from Waterford. That sparked a bit of a reaction from people but that's it really. The more people come to see it the better. It's an amazing feature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Azatadine wrote: »
    I don't think there's any anti Dublin bias in here? A bit of a snide comment from one poster about it being over designed is the only negative comment I've seen and the poster was from Waterford. That sparked a bit of a reaction from people but that's it really. The more people come to see it the better. It's an amazing feature.

OK, point taken.

It is a totally great feat of engineering, and I can't wait to see it finished and drive across it soon. Well done to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Another Waterfordian here and I love it, it's a think of beauty. Since I first heard about it, I have to drive down by the Pink Rock to see it's progress every time I'm coming home through New Ross. I'm glad it's not tolled like the TFM Suir bridge in Waterford, which I also think is beautiful.
    The RFK bridge will be good for the whole region, cutting travel times between Wexford town and Waterford city by 1/2 hour at peak times, surely.
    I would worry about the passing tourist biz for the Dunbrody though once all the ferry traffic switches to the new bridge but no harm diverting all the HGV's, allow New Ross to breath. Maybe more tourists will stop once they're not getting their teeth rattled by passing Nolan Transport artics. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭Bards

I'm all for it and I'm from Waterford .. Any infrastructure in the South East is good in my books... Being following this for years before actual construction began...

And my snide coments were directed at another poster who dared to suggest it was over engineered and over designed just because it was in the South East, as if we don't deserve a first class piece of Infrastructure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Has anyone any photos of the deck now, it must be joined up by now.

Great piece of infrastructure for the South East of the country.

Bards wrote: »
    I'm all for it and I'm from Waterford .. Any infrastructure in the South East is good in my books... Being following this for years before actual construction began...

And my snide coments were directed at another poster who dared to suggest it was over engineered and over designed just because it was in the South East, as if we don't deserve a first class piece of Infrastructure

Yeah, Harry Palmer made these comments and I agree they were snide. He's from Waterford I think so not sure why he would make such sarky comments. Maybe they were not intended in that manner.

• Advertisement

I see they are resurfacing the Glenmore to Waterford section now too (a section anywa). It'll be a sweet job when it's all complete.

pinched faced yokels.

:D

I think it's fabulous.
    I can't wait to see the whole thing up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭steeler j

I like the bridge,it looks amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Azatadine wrote:
    I see they are resurfacing the Glenmore to Waterford section now too (a section anywa). It'll be a sweet job when it's all complete.

That's not the Glenmore to Rhu Glenn scheme that's being done at present. They are just doing some long overdue resurfacing in sections where the surface has seriously eroded.
    It seems to be low noise tarmac that's being applied. The road noise off these sections up to now is deafening if you are standing down near the road, and can be heard at night about 2km away.
    I'm open to correction but there is still no sign off on funding or finalised design for this piece of link road from the Rhu Glenn roundabout to the Jamestown roundabout.
    Talking to some farmers who will be affected by this section, they are still in the dark about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

alentejo wrote: »
    Took a detour enroute to Waterford the other day to look at the bridge. Seriously impressive and bigger than I thought it would be. Would love if you could walk across it before it opens.

If i remember correctly when the Waterford bridge opened people were allowed to walk across it at the official opening

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

If i remember correctly when the Waterford bridge opened people were allowed to walk across it at the official opening

Yes, I was one of the “pedestrians” that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

Would love to do that - would be a great memory to have!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

The barrow crossing 11/06/19 (pics fb)
    M45Fqu5.jpg

WNf0H6Y.jpg

7Qz1DEf.jpg

ZHGd6kc.jpg

NPUe1Dk.jpg

oIWv9sR.jpg

3qmd4qG.jpg

KB7PR3U.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭rekdtangle

Having worked on this project I can't wait for it to open, similarly M11GOTE project. Hoping they will both take some serious time off my daily commute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,093 ✭✭✭prunudo

Interesting to see one of the senders (I think thats what they're called) removed before the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

Love this photo. Not sure which is more impressive - the heavy crane which seems suspended in mid air or the nonchalant hi-viz wearer lying back again the barrier!

482588.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Is the pouring finished? Will there be an expansion joint in the two places?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

MichealD wrote: »
    Love this photo. Not sure which is more impressive - the heavy crane which seems suspended in mid air or the nonchalant hi-viz wearer lying back again the barrier!

482588.jpg

My exact thought:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,653 ✭✭✭✭josip

I suppose they're removing the Kilkenny sender while the gap is still big enough to get it up easily.

How do they get the bottom half of the Wexford one up?
    Or do they take the Wexford one up and close the gap without it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Is the pouring finished? Will there be an expansion joint in the two places?

It is basically a box-girder bridge which is a stressed concrete structure. Do they have expansion joints?

I thought the cable stays were providing the compression stress and supporting the structure came mostly from the deck, not the cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

MichealD wrote: »

482588.jpg

That's a heavy crane to have parked up on the edge with little support .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

What do you mean - we are all rooting for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

What do you mean - we are all rooting for it?

I fully support cranes now, having switched my allegiance from agricultural machinery.

You could say, I’m an extractor fan...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

There are cable stays anchoring the deck all the way to the back of the cranes. That's plenty of support.

Advertisement