Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

What do you mean - we are all rooting for it?

I fully support cranes now, having switched my allegiance from agricultural machinery.

You could say, I’m an extractor fan...
    Very good. :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

What do you mean - we are all rooting for it?

Was that a joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

There are cable stays anchoring the deck all the way to the back of the cranes. That's plenty of support.

Seemingly that crane can lift a maximum of 300 tonnes and probably weighs about 100 tonnes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

Seemingly that crane can lift a maximum of 300 tonnes and probably weighs about 100 tonnes.
    and there's two of them!!!

mikeymouse wrote: »
    and there's two of them!!!

The 90 tonne Faun crane will remove the black beams in the picture and drive off the deck.
    Then the 300 tonne Liebherr crane lifts the lower platform onto the deck to be dismantled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭josip

Does the 300 tonne crane cost over €1m ?
    Anyone know how much per day to hire them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Looking at the photos, never mind the lad leaning against the scaffolding, no money or would persuade me to back a ginormous crane down the bridge towards the void while keeping it away from the sides. Not even the little (in comparison) load-all that is reversed towards the side. I think I need to lie down just thinking of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Im going to take a spin down from Waterford soon to get a few pics where would the best spot to go to on the Wexford side?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

The barrow crossing Sept 16
    9OILD4j.jpg

June 17
    42jcw4d.jpg

June 18
    W3wATaJ.jpg

June 19
    3qmd4qG.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭prunudo

I didn't realise its taken as long to get to the stage where it is now. Even the June 18 photo is further advanced than I thought it was this time last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

prunudo wrote: »
    I didn't realise its taken as long to get to the stage where it is now. Even the June 18 photo is further advanced than I thought it was this time last year.

Yeah the wings on the Kilkenny side seemed to fly up while the Wexford end lagged behind.

Yeah the wings on the Kilkenny side seemed to fly up while the Wexford end lagged behind.

:D

They might catch up on us in Wexford Park on Sat!

The barrow crossing 13/10/17
    76InDae.jpg

11/06/19
    ivvpjYj.jpg

It's almost there you could touch it(pic LinkedIn)
    uttoc2f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Just wondering if they do any sort of formal ceremony (like a topping out ceremony) as part of the final join?

In fairness looking at those photos from the last few years you really do have to marvel at the engineering it takes to put something like this into place. Definitely going to do a N(M)11/N25 trip from Dublin to Waterford once this and Gorey to Enniscorthy are open.

Looking at the photos of the bridge, a thought occurred ;
    supposing an accident on the western end closed the bridge in both directions,
    the eastbound lane would be empty, while the westbound lane would be full of traffic ,
    with maybe a doz heavy artics off the ferry.
    how would the centre mounted cables cope with this imbalance?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

mikeymouse wrote: »
    Looking at the photos of the bridge, a thought occurred ;
    supposing an accident on the western end closed the bridge in both directions,
    the eastbound lane would be empty, while the westbound lane would be full of traffic ,
    with maybe a doz heavy artics off the ferry.
    how would the centre mounted cables cope with this imbalance?

It is not a suspension bridge - it is basicaly a box girder bridge. The deck takes most of the stress and is supported by the pillars. The cables provide compression to the box girder structue of the deck to improve its strength. So - not a problem if there is a lopsided load as ong as it is within the limits.

In a suspension bidge, the cabes take the strain and support the deck and since they are at each side of the deck there is no twisting force.

It is not a suspension bridge - it is basicaly a box girder bridge. The deck takes most of the stress and is supported by the pillars. The cables provide compression to the box girder structue of the deck to improve its strength. So - not a problem if there is a lopsided load as ong as it is within the limits.

In a suspension bidge, the cabes take the strain and support the deck and since they are at each side of the deck there is no twisting force.
    Aha,That makes sense. I thought the cables carried most of the weight.

The barrow crossing 05/05/19 (pic fb)
    owf8nyu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Hoof_Hearted

Jayuu wrote: »
    Just wondering if they do any sort of formal ceremony (like a topping out ceremony) as part of the final join?

In fairness looking at those photos from the last few years you really do have to marvel at the engineering it takes to put something like this into place. Definitely going to do a N(M)11/N25 trip from Dublin to Waterford once this and Gorey to Enniscorthy are open.

Well I can't wait for the official one, I'll be heading down this week where I expect I'll have my own ceremony invoking the entire pantheon of gods at my disposal. I expect there'll be Holy Moley, Mother of the divine, Jeeeeeezum cripes, and a fair sprinkling of How the F..'s. With a ceremonial flask of coffee. Can't wait :D

• Advertisement

There is a formal ceremony been planned. Not sure who the diplomats are going to be but will include some Americans linked to RFK.

Went for a spin down there today, the weather was vile but it couldn't take from the spectacle. I stood in the rain - just gobsmacked. Its fab. I hadnt seen it in the flesh so-to-speak for about 18 months. The photos are fantastic but the real thing is something else.
    Going to go again in next couple of weeks on a nice day and - like the poster above - bring the flask:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Yeah, the pictures are excellent but the scale of the thing in reality is something else. I love coming towards it from the Pink Rock side and it looks majestic in the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

A great project. Great to see the pics, and thanks to everyone for the views.

m17 wrote: »
    The barrow crossing 11/06/19 (pics fb)
    M45Fqu5.jpg

WNf0H6Y.jpg

7Qz1DEf.jpg

ZHGd6kc.jpg

NPUe1Dk.jpg

oIWv9sR.jpg

3qmd4qG.jpg

KB7PR3U.jpg

These are brilliant photos on a 22'' screen

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭josip

Photos from this evening

xHJw3ZH.png

gWaUzkT.png

The barrow crossing 01/06/19 (pic instragram )
    9HCR3bn.jpg

lnruzm8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Speaking of bridges :eek:

This cost $140 million(about €125 million) what is the barrow bridge costing?

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/world/2016/12/29/china-worlds-highest-bridge-beipanjiang-sfc-orig.cnn

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

vicwatson wrote: »
    Speaking of bridges :eek:

This cost $140 million(about €125 million) what is the barrow bridge costing?

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/world/2016/12/29/china-worlds-highest-bridge-beipanjiang-sfc-orig.cnn

It's in China. Safety, worker rights and wages are not a concern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

It's in China. Safety, worker rights and wages are not a concern.

How many died in construction?

Do you know the cost to build the barrow bridge?

Advertisement