Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forgotten Irish movies.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭interlocked

Here's one for you, Del Monte,

I'd never heard of this but this was an American made for TV movie based on a Barbara Cartland/Bubbles De Vere "novel". Filmed in Dublin and Wicklow in 1979.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079157/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

Starred Timothy Dalton, but the interesting thing about this tosh is that they reused the train built for the Great Train Robbery, in Bray along with 184. Talk about getting your moneys worth. Those carriages were still dumped in Bray up to at least 1982.

Bray station was recast as Le Harve, no less. And here it is. Go to 5.55 for Bray's moment of fame:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Fatal Deviation, best Irish kung fu movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPne3Wh0lqk

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭thejuggler

The most fertile man in Ireland

About Adam

Both early 00s.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

To be filed alongside Biopsy Shake and Fatal Deviation. To give the leading man his dues he does show some nifty snooker skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Here's one for you, Del Monte,

I'd never heard of this but this was an American made for TV movie based on a Barbara Cartland/Bubbles De Vere "novel". Filmed in Dublin and Wicklow in 1979.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079157/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

Starred Timothy Dalton, but the interesting thing about this tosh is that they reused the train built for the Great Train Robbery, in Bray along with 184. Talk about getting your moneys worth. Those carriages were still dumped in Bray up to at least 1982.

Bray station was recast as Le Harve, no less. And here it is. Go to 5.55 for Bray's moment of fame:D

Beat you to it, I'm afraid. https://irelandsmovies.wordpress.com/f/

Memorable for the double white lines beside a 19th century pavement in one scene. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Fatal Deviation, best Irish kung fu movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPne3Wh0lqk

Right up there amongst the worst movies of any genre, any time, in any country. :D

Lament For Arthur Leary (1975). An oddity starring Sean Ban Breathnach, dialogue in English and Irish. TG4 showed it about ten years ago.

thejuggler wrote: »
    The most fertile man in Ireland

About Adam

Both early 00s.

About Adam was as early Celtic Tiger as you can get. It was really trying hard to depict Dublin as being hip and cutting edge. In some ways pre figuring that laughable RTE series the Big Bow Bow. Also notable for starring Tommy Tiernan in a small part as one of those socially awkward loser types that he played a few times in the late 90s/early 00s. A cameo in the Matchmaker as a yokel and the suicidal priest in Fr Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

In fairness, Dublin in 2000 was hip and cutting edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭George White

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Beat you to it, I'm afraid. https://irelandsmovies.wordpress.com/f/

Memorable for the double white lines beside a 19th century pavement in one scene. :D

And Hammer's favourite twink Shane Briant and Paul Lavers, who began as a kind of Aldi Nigel Havers then became one of the stars of QVC...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Esho

cloudatlas wrote: »
    There was a recent Irish Times list https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film/the-50-best-irish-films-ever-made-in-order-1.4238979 The 50 best Irish films ever made, in order

It left out the McDonagh brothers which I felt was extraordinary.

They also left out Neil Jordan's 'The Miracle' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJrl2MajPy4

It was very much a list made for the person who wrote the list but it shouldn't be titled 'best'.

Intermission is 47!!!!!!!

That is one of the best Irish movies ever.

Mustn't like brown sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I remember seeing a film about a young rural Irish guy, maybe 90s or 00s.
    He was trying to decide throughout the film if he should emmigrate to England as there was no work at home. The last scene was him getting the bus out of town I think.
    One scene I remember was he playing a hurling mattch and the guy marking him was doing some off the ball stuff, the main guy eventually lost the rag and broke his hurl across your man's backside and got sent off.
    Sound familiar to anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I remember seeing a film about a young rural Irish guy, maybe 90s or 00s.
    He was trying to decide throughout the film if he should emmigrate to England as there was no work at home. The last scene was him getting the bus out of town I think.
    One scene I remember was he playing a hurling mattch and the guy marking him was doing some off the ball stuff, the main guy eventually lost the rag and broke his hurl across your man's backside and got sent off.
    Sound familiar to anyone?

Clash Of The Ash

I uploaded it to YouTube some years ago. Wrote this

Clash Of The Ash

I uploaded it to YouTube some years ago. Wrote this

That's it ,thanks.
    I thought the actor might have been that little cockney guy who was in lots of films in the 80s. he is the head cut of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Death game - sci-fi with Tommy the taxi driver and Jason from Titanic. All bikes and chainsaws.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,205 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Esho wrote: »
    Intermission is 47!!!!!!!

That is one of the best Irish movies ever.

Mustn't like brown sauce

Intermission should probably be higher up the list. Hard to argue with number 1 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Esho

Song of granite was another good Irish film that went under the radar.

That was an excellent movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

That's it ,thanks.
    I thought the actor might have been that little cockney guy who was in lots of films in the 80s. he is the head cut of him.

Who? Blackie Connors?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Has anyone mentioned Shadow Dancer? About MI6 and IRA, came out in about 2012, it was really good, and I've always thought most Irish films are terrible.

Has anyone mentioned Shadow Dancer? About MI6 and IRA, came out in about 2012, it was really good, and I've always thought most Irish films are terrible.
    I saw one a bit older than that, 90s maybe.

It was about a female American journalist with long red hair who comes to Belfast to report on the troubles. She meets the IRA and when they find out she will be doing an interview with a loyalist leader they plant a bomb in her camera to assasinate him.
    She is captured by the British Army and tortured at one stage.
    Saw it on video, never heard of it again. What was it called?

50 dead men walking is a good troubles film about an informer. Stars Ben Kingsley.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

It was about a female American journalist with long red hair who comes to Belfast to report on the troubles. She meets the IRA and when they find out she will be doing an interview with a loyalist leader they plant a bomb in her camera to assasinate him.

A man you dont meet everyday? Maybe

A man you dont meet everyday? Maybe
    No it was set in Belfast. Another scene I remembered, the IRA men were taking her somewhere in a taxi. they come to an army checkpoint and shoot the soldiers and drive on.
    Also I might be mistaken but I think she is being chased around a building site and scaffolding by a psycho at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭George White

Patriots?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Patriots?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriots_(1994_film)
    Never heard of it till I saw Wikipedia have a list of films featuring th he IRA,

Patriots?
    That is it thanks :)

Based on a true story it says :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Some mothers son

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

No, dis

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Dancer_(film)

Advertisement