Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forgotten Irish movies.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,118 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Have we had Dementia 13 yet? Francis Coppola's debut after Roger Corman gave him a leftover budget from a previous film. An Irish story, made in Ardmore studios in Bray. Obviously Francis Ford Coppola went on to bigger things.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I wrote a piece about here - https://wheresgrandad.wordpress.com/2012/04/24/clash-of-the-ash/

Also includes a link to my VHS upload which is on YouTube.

Gina Moxley used to be a stalwart of 80s/90s Irish movies.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Have we had Dementia 13 yet? Francis Coppola's debut after Roger Corman gave him a leftover budget from a previous film. An Irish story, made in Ardmore studios in Bray. Obviously Francis Ford Coppola went on to bigger things.:D

Dont forget when Roger Corman returned to Connemara to make masterpieces like Space Truckers.

Dont forget when Roger Corman returned to Connemara to make masterpieces like Space Truckers.

Corman returned to his Concorde Anois set up in Connemara to make some really cheap movies that could be classed as Irish in a funny kind of way. The studio still stands and is used for different types of production these days.

Space Truckers was totally unrelated and spearheaded by Stuart Gordon (Dolls, Re-Animator, Robotjox and lots of stuff by Charles Bands Empire Pictures.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I can vividly remember watching that plane crash scene in "cry of the innocent" as a child but hadn't came across it since or even knew the name of the film, until now that is.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Anyone know of a thing called Middletown

Had Gerard McSorley, Richard Dormer and Mick Lally in it.

It was about a rural pentecostal church in the north, set in the 50s or 60s.

Awful cack altogether.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Corman returned to his Concorde Anois set up in Connemara to make some really cheap movies that could be classed as Irish in a funny kind of way. The studio still stands and is used for different types of production these days.

Space Truckers was totally unrelated and spearheaded by Stuart Gordon (Dolls, Re-Animator, Robotjox and lots of stuff by Charles Bands Empire Pictures.)

Ah ok, I was mixing it up with Spacejacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Zebra3 wrote: »

Best Irish film ever in my opinion.
    I spent a long time working in pubs in London, meeting and hanging out with a lot of the same type of characters that are in that movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Awful cack altogether.

Daniel Mays as well, whole place was fogged over all the time, everyone was more miserable than the next

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Awful cack altogether.

The son returned as the new Minister/Pastor and started a dogmatic reign of religious terror.

Like a young Ian Paisley. He was condemning everything.

Didn't he kill his father at the end by suffocating him with a pillow? His father was considered "impure"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Flight of the Doves 1971. Long may it remain forgotten. Saw it at the cinema when it came out - thought it was dreadful but it gets some people all excited https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film/flight-of-the-doves-deserves-to-be-a-national-institution-1.3827375

It’s still shown on RTÉ every few months

Ah ok, I was mixing it up with Spacejacked.

You're grand. Spacejacked was indeed made in Connemara. I'd consider lots of films from Cormans base there, to be Irish in a way. A pity it didn't last long. It was funny to see all these exploitation films coming out of Galway with many Irish crew and the Dublin filmmaking community's disgust at it. Great days.:D

Ryan's Daughter by the great David Lean. Most people wouldn't have heard of it were it not for that piece on Reeling in the Years and it is in no way as well remembered as much of his other films eg Laurence of Arabia, Dr Zhivago

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

what was that movie set in east donegal in a small protestant community ?, actress ( whos name escaped me ) became the lover of two brothers while working on a farm circa 1965 , one played by ciaran hinds , the other by Donal Mc cann

looked it up , December Bride

• Registered Users Posts: 28,473 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    what was that movie set in east donegal in a small protestant community ?, actress ( whos name escaped me ) became the lover of two brothers while working on a farm circa 1965 , one played by ciaran hinds , the other by Donal Mc cann

December Bride.

Thought it was compelling.
    Actress was British... Saskia Reeves.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

odyssey06 wrote: »
    December Bride.

Thought it was compelling.
    Actress was British... Saskia Reeves.

it was pretty good , she was a good actress , remember playing the sister of clive owen in a british movie around that time , brother and sister in an inscestous relationship

This Is The Sea. Another largely forgotten one with Gabriel Byrne, also starred Samantha Morton. Set in the North.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Patser wrote: »
    All dogs go to Heaven

Then that also includes all the Don Bluth studio as well,
    Fielefel Mouse
    Fielefel goes west
    A Mouses Tale etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

War of the Buttons

Undercurrent. Early Liam Cunningham role. I know I saw it on RTE at some point , online details of are very sketchy but it was a crime thriller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,018 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

It's clear from the numerous examples that certain Irish actors were very busy on the big screen!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The Race- Colm Meaney, so-so film where his daughter enters a go-kart race.

O Mary This London- Two young lads take a girl to England for an abortion. Shown once in the 90s on BBC and then completely erased from history. Very good film.

Breakfast on Pluto- Cillian Murphy in drag.

The Actors- Comedy with Michael Caine, Dylan Moran, Michael Gambon. Daft but quite funny.

The Boxer- Daniel Day Lewis gets out of prison in Belfast during the troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,927 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The Race- Colm Meaney, so-so film where his daughter enters a go-kart race.

O Mary This London- Two young lads take a girl to England for an abortion. Shown once in the 90s on BBC and then completely erased from history. Very good film.

Breakfast on Pluto- Cillian Murphy in drag.

The Actors- Comedy with Michael Caine, Dylan Moran, Michael Gambon. Daft but quite funny.

The Boxer- Daniel Day Lewis gets out of prison in Belfast during the troubles.

Breakfast on Pluto is one of the best to come out of Ireland. Liam Neeson and Ruth Negga alongside Cillian Murphy with Cunningham, Rea and Gleeson getting cameos

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Breakfast on Pluto is one of the best to come out of Ireland. Liam Neeson and Ruth Negga alongside Cillian Murphy with Cunningham, Rea and Gleeson getting cameos
    Based on a Patrick McCabe novel.
    They should make more films from his books.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,927 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Based on a Patrick McCabe novel.
    They should make more films from his books.

Speaking of books Borstal Boy is a movie of Brendan Behans book on his time as a young prisoner.

Its not great though and I wouldn't class it as an Irish film as the movie feels very English despite the author.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Speaking of books Borstal Boy is a movie of Brendan Behans book on his time as a young prisoner.

Its not great though and I wouldn't class it as an Irish film as the movie feels very English despite the author.

I remember Danny Dyer being in it, I thought it was quite poor. I also remember seeing it on DVD in HMV a couple of years after it was released. The DVD cover was sexed up to make it look like a "gritty Danny Dyer Prison Movie" in order to fool people into buying it.

The Fifth Province, never seen just recall reading about it in Film Ireland magazine in late 90s. Surrealist fantasy Euro co production.

I remember Danny Dyer being in it, I thought it was quite poor. I also remember seeing it on DVD in HMV a couple of years after it was released. The DVD cover was sexed up to make it look like a "gritty Danny Dyer Prison Movie" in order to fool people into buying it.

Terrible piece of casting and yeah I did a double take when I saw that dvd cover in a rental shop. Danny Dyer as Brendan Behan, wtf? That was the first I'd heard of it.

Isolation. Horror film from 2005 about a killer cow!

• Advertisement

Isolation. Horror film from 2005 about a killer cow!

Ruth Negga as a traveller. One of the strangest pieces of casting I've seen.

Advertisement