Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forgotten Irish movies.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

del_c wrote: »
    Dead Meat- saw it in a film festival in Stuttgart, never heard of it since. Pretty funny!

Dead Meat is hilarious. Ed and Conor have a lot of talent. Pity they didn't get as much of a reception as they deserved. Knocking the heads off zombies with a hurl has to be the most quintessentially Irish thing ever committed to film.
    They still show it at the IFC horrorthon every now and then. I guess they have to since Ed King started the whole thing.

The-hurling-coach-about-to-attack-a-zombie-with-his-caman-in-Dead-Meat-2004-While-the.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

A fun Nationwide clip from when Roger Corman set up his studio in Connemara.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Philadelphia, Here I Come

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Dead Meat is hilarious. Ed and Conor have a lot of talent. Pity they didn't get as much of a reception as they deserved. Knocking the heads off zombies with a hurl has to be the most quintessentially Irish thing ever committed to film.

looks gas:pac:

is it it available to view online?? please say yes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭saabsaab

A fun Nationwide clip from when Roger Corman set up his studio in Connemara.

Came under fire at the time.

See 'Criminal Affairs' 1997 movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Undercurrent. Early Liam Cunningham role. I know I saw it on RTE at some point , online details of are very sketchy but it was a crime thriller.

Saw it in the cinema and the small audience enjoyed it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

F*cked In Ireland

Tanya Tate's Irish Sex Tour

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Then that also includes all the Don Bluth studio as well,
    Fielefel Mouse
    Fielefel goes west
    A Mouses Tale etc etc
    Patser wrote: »
    No, I checked on this beforehand.

Spielberg was involved in the American Tail movies, and insisted they be made in America, so Bluth opened a studio in Arizona.

All Dogs go to Heaven was his big Dublin based movie, some staff did transfer over to help in America - but later Dublin based movies flopped (they did do some of A land before time) and Bluth studios closed, but left a legacy in Ireland of animation and also computer game animation, that still exists today.

Don Bluth had his studios in Conyngham Road, in the building that was then taken over by Ryanair for their ground operations before they moved to the airport. I was pretty sure Don Bluth moved out after the success of the first Fievel movie (An American Tail), but perhaps I'm mis-remembering. I know it says US on IMDB, but I'm unconvinced.
    RTE regularly show it on Sunday afternoons, doesn't seem to know what era it's supposed to be based in, has a green post van which would indicate late 80's but a lot of the rest seems earlier

It was filmed much later than when it was set, 1994, I think.

Anyway, I don't think these have been mentioned, yet:

Swansong: The story of Occi Byrne (2009, IIRC)

The Eclipse - by Conor McPherson, starring Ciarán Hinds

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Zonad. Shockingly bad film where Simon Delaney's escaped convict character somehow convinces the residents of a small village that he's an alien. Got free tickets to it and still came out of it feeling ripped off. Plus my wife still hasn't forgiven me for accidentally spilling my drink all over her, but even that was more entertaining than the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Disco Pigs.

Wild Goose Lodge.

One I saw not that long ago on telly, that pops into my head randomly for no apparent reason. It's a meandering thing with different stories that involves a fella getting a job in a train station lost property office, there's something about him being engaged but not wanting to get married. His granny dies and he ends up going to Poland (I think) where she came from and camping on a farm to dig up a necklace she had buried as a child.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Zaph wrote: »
    Zonad. Shockingly bad film where Simon Delaney's escaped convict character somehow convinces the residents of a small village that he's an alien. Got free tickets to it and still came out of it feeling ripped off. Plus my wife still hasn't forgiven me for accidentally spilling my drink all over her, but even that was more entertaining than the film.

Truly awful muck, I awarded it three turkeys myself https://irelandsmovies.wordpress.com/z/ and would have given it four but that's not on my scale. :D

Zaph wrote: »

I forgot about that one, awful unfunny shyte altogether.

I'm assuming Flight of the Doves was mentioned at this stage? Repeated every year at Christmas time on RTE, or is it Easter, I can't remember but probably never watched by those under 35.

Just putting "Waking Ned" in here if some have forgotten or others haven't seen it- a gentle sort of film but a great laugh

David Kelly and James Nesbitt star
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waking_Ned

New Home wrote: »
    Don Bluth had his studios in Conyngham Road, in the building that was then taken over by Ryanair for their ground operations before they moved to the airport. I was pretty sure Don Bluth moved out after the success of the first Fievel movie (An American Tail), but perhaps I'm mis-remembering. I know it says US on IMDB, but I'm unconvinced.

It was filmed much later than when it was set, 1994, I think.

Anyway, I don't think these have been mentioned, yet:

Swansong: The story of Occi Byrne (2009, IIRC)

The Eclipse - by Conor McPherson, starring Ciarán Hinds
    Re: War Of The Buttons, it was released 1994 but it did have an odd kind of identity crisis over when exactly it was supposed to be set. It was clear that it was supposed to be a period setting but the kids in it all were dressed like it was the 50s/early 60s but then you had vehicles from the 70s/early 80s like the Renault 4 post van and then modern looking rescue helicopter. Another thing I found odd was the amount of adult characters played by Dubs speaking in their native accents despite being it set in West Cork(Jim Bartley, Liam Cunningham, Joey The Lips guy from the Commitments). Other than that it's not a bad film.

Excalibur, pre-dated Braveheart by 15 years but had better battle scenes in it imo

starred Liam Neeson and Gabriel Byrne amongst other irish actors

British production company but filmed entirely in Co Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭griffin100

Pilgrim Hill - 2013.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilgrim_Hill_(film)

Made using a €4,500 loan from the credit union.

It’s about a bachelor farmer living in rural Ireland watching his life pass by. Nothing dramatic happens, but it’s engrossing. Probably because many of us know someone like the main character.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,363 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

fryup wrote: »
    Excalibur, pre-dated Braveheart by 15 years but had better battle scenes in it imo
    starred Liam Neeson and Gabriel Byrne amongst other irish actors
    British production company but filmed entirely in Co Wicklow

Director John Boorman wanted to adapt Lord of the Rings but with the effects of the time it wasnt practical.
    He tried to bring some Tolkien influences into Excalibur.
    Great film and use of the song O Fortuna.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭OU812

I'm assuming Flight of the Doves was mentioned at this stage? Repeated every year at Christmas time on RTE, or is it Easter, I can't remember but probably never watched by those under 35.

World's smallest St. Patrick's Day parade (until last year).

I wish there was a streaming service with all Irish productions on it (TV & Film). Sure, a lot of it is questionable due to production budgets etc, but there's some gold in this thread. I'd subscribe in a heartbeat.

OU812 wrote: »
    World's smallest St. Patrick's Day parade (until last year).

I wish there was a streaming service with all Irish productions on it (TV & Film). Sure, a lot of it is questionable due to production budgets etc, but there's some gold in this thread. I'd subscribe in a heartbeat.

There were a lot of small movies people just have never heard of, that either went straight to TV/Tape or were shown in small independent cinemas at the time.
    I'm liking this thread a lot
    If you just pick Tommy Tiernan alone, who wouldn't strike many as being an actor- he's been in a whole heap of films.

Film[edit]
    Year Title Role Notes
    1996 Angela Mooney Dies Again Timmy Debut
    1997 The Very Stuff Damien Short film
    The Matchmaker Vince
    1999 Hold Back the Night John
    2000 About Adam Simon
    2001 The Riblok Foundation Ernest
    2005 Bumble's Burden Bumble Short film
    2018 An Béal Bocht - The Poor Mouth Martin O'Bannasa Short film
    2019 Dark Lies the Island Richie
    2020 Wolfwalkers Seán Óg Woodcutter Voice
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Tiernan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Isolation - 2005. Released straight to DVD.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Just putting "Waking Ned" in here if some have forgotten or others haven't seen it- a gentle sort of film but a great laugh

Think it and the Colm Meaney, Andrea Corr "The boys and girl from county Clare" were filmed in the Isle of Man

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I used to think The Walking Dead was a spin-off from Waking Ned.

Esho wrote: »
    Intermission is 47!!!!!!!

That is one of the best Irish movies ever.

best forgotten imo,

struck me as movie trying to get the Tarantino vibe and falling flat on its face
    👀

I summed up "Intermission" as Love and Death on the Nortside….avoid! Only two turkeys though, but I've no intention of watching it again to see why it didn't get a third - possibly because I'm a big Colin Farrell fan. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

Nothing Personal was a cracking Northern Ireland Troubles drama filmed in Dublin and directed by Thaddeus O'Sullivan. Set during one night during the Troubles. John Lynch plays a Catholic who is trying to get out of the Shankill area alive pursued by the Shankill Butcher gang.
    Similar in tone to '71 which is far more action oriented. A better movie than Resurrection Man which was also influenced by Martin Dillon's factual book about the butchers. Tries to copy Scorcese but doesn't pull it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

The Courier set in Dublin 1988 with Gabriel Byrne .

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094912/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

kravmaga wrote: »
    The Courier set in Dublin 1988 with Gabriel Byrne .

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094912/

Good soundtrack album

I was just thinking about how in the 90s there were an awful lot of Irish movies released that would be in the cinema for a week and then disappear. Sweety Barrett was one. Brendan Gleeson as the title character, it came right after the General. Odd film, he played a guy with learning difficulties who runs away from the circus (Brendan O Carroll has a cameo as the bullying ringmaster). A very young Andrew Scott plays a barman and Andy Serkis was in it looking like Rory from Glenroe sporting a curly mullet and denim jacket. Never see it shown on telly. Can anyone think of any other examples?

Looking up the IMDb entry I'd forgoten Cillian Murphy was in it as well as another barman. It's almost a who's who of soon to be big Irish actors but a pretty poor attempt at a gritty crime drama. One thing that struck me was all the cars in it were second hand bangers but it came out at a time (1999) when you started to notice a lot of brand new cars on the road.

• Advertisement

Just watched "I See a Dark Stranger" (1946) on YouTube.

World War .II. spy story about a young Irish girl (Deborah Kerr) who goes to England to spy for the IRA. She gets in over her head and changes her mind when she realises that the information she is carrying will aid the German war effort. She is befriended by an English army officer (Trevor Howard) and.......

Think Ealing comedy meets the "Thirty Nine Steps" meets "The Quiet Man" and you just about have it. Another for only the diehard Irish movie enthusiast.

Harmless fun - 4/10.

1946-I-See-a-Dark-Stranger-Deborah-Kerr-Trevor-Howard.jpg?w=444&ssl=1

Advertisement