Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forgotten Irish movies.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

DvB wrote: »
    One not mentioned so far is Pursuit, with Barry Ward, Ruth Bradley & Liam Cunningham, think Brendan Gleeson had a small part in it too. Remember seeing it one evening on TG4. Remember them flying around in VRS Skoda Octavias, was like the film was sponsored by Skoda at one stage there was that many of them.
    Homelander wrote: »
    I'm usually fairly forgiving with Irish movies but that one was absolute scutter of the highest order. Was shocked Gleeson, Ward and Bradley would be associated with such a z-list movie.

It was like something a secondary school student would make.

A reminder. Some hot orange skoda on audi action (aka 94 seconds of your life that you will never get back)

Watch: Pulsating trailer for Paul Mercier’s Irish crime thriller Pursuit

"you think I'd be in this sh1t if I didn't love ya"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The Boy From Mercury.

Pete's Meteor. Both fairly decent kids films with a sci fi element.

Lamb

with Liam Neeson.

a religious brother takes a young boy away from his orphanage.

Gladly forgotten too. ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Lamb

with Liam Neeson.

a religious brother takes a young boy away from his orphanage.

Gladly forgotten too. ugh.

I seen that on the telly, about a week after I was diagnosed with epilepsy myself. I was only 7 at the time, and it scared the **** out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

ziedth wrote: »
    I came into post this. I seem to remember the main star actually seemed to have a bit about him as an actor..... it truly was an awful awful film mind......

Darrah Healy is his name, he was convicted for assault a few years back.

Another film I haven't seen in years is Poitín. It was an irish language film. I think it was made back in the 70s and it was about a group of Poteen distillers on the run from the law. I think Cyril Cusack was in it but I'm not 100% sure.

The Tiger's Tail was another daft Brendan Gleeson movie directed by John Boorman. It also starred Kim Cattral as Brendan's wife, Sinead Cusack as the sister and Brendan Gleeson's son who played Huey in Love Hate as Brendan's lefty communist sympathiser kid.

Resurrection Man, another enjoyable film starring Stuart Townsend, Brenda Fricker, Charlo from Family and James Nesbit. It was loosely based on the Shankill Butchers Loyalist death squad. Townsend gave a great performance as the psychopath loyalist murderer Victor Kelly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I think if it had been by any other director it'd have been forgotten, but it gets mentioned in retrospectives of Kubrick's career - especially the filming of scenes by candlelight.
    Very few Irish in the cast, I don't think Ryan O'Neal counts despite the name :)

True very few Irish actors though plenty of extras. Two of my uncles were redcoats in the film and got a few autographs from the actors.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,195 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Not sure if Perriers bounty has been mentioned yet, Jim Broadbent giving one of the worst Irish accents I've ever heard from a film & thats saying something.
    Cillian Murphy, Jodie Whittaker, Liam Cunningham & Gabriel Byrne all in it too.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭Patser

All dogs go to Heaven

Secret of Kells

Song of the Sea

Pavee Lackeen, about a young traveller girl. I've been trying to look for it everywhere but I can't seem to find it.

The Nephew is another one from the late 90s. I remember it being pretty hyped up at the time although it's mostly forgotten about now. Pierce Brosnan was in it and Tom Savino (Upwardly Mobile/Ballykissangel) who plays a farmer in it does an absolutely cringeworthy rap version of Whiskey in the Jar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,118 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Hibernicis wrote: »
    Even the mention of that Pinewood Studios embarrassment makes my skin crawl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c3lqpRxqw4

And Directed by an Irish man.

Sparrows Trap. Starring and directed by Brendan O Carroll. He lost a huge amount of money on it, cant blame him for milking the Mrs Brown cash cow for all it's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Don't think it was a feature length movie, maybe more of a made for TV one, but who recalls "The Clash of the Ash"
    About mid 1980s Irish economic and social depression and Cork minor hurling.
    Stared the man that went on the be "Blackie Connors" in Glenroe.

I wrote a piece about here - https://wheresgrandad.wordpress.com/2012/04/24/clash-of-the-ash/

Also includes a link to my VHS upload which is on YouTube.

RTE showed it circa 1986 very soon after it was released. I saw it again sometime in the 90s probably again on RTE. Haven't seen it since.

Lamb was broadcast on RTE1, 27 December 1986 after the 9.00pm News.

And repeated on RTE c 1997/98

^^ Not on Blu - Ray hopefully, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Amazing Grace...absolutely horrendous Shiite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Barry Lyndon was about an Irish rogue who climbed the social ladder in the 18th century. It is a film by Stanley Kubrick and one of my favourite films. About half of it is filmed in Ireland.

One of the best fims of all time.

🙈🙉🙊

cml387 wrote: »
    Cry Of The Innocent.

Much hyped (then) 1980 film starring Rod Taylor and Cyril Cusack, with Bishop Brennan himself Jim Norton as the evil baddy who just lacked a moustache to twirl.

The opening scene involved Rod Taylor stepping out of his beach house down the wesht somewhere saying goodbye to his wife and kids as he's out for a walk.

Suddenly a plane spewing smoke flies low overhead and crashes just over the horizon in an impressive mushroom of special effects smoke.

Well what are the chances...he runs back to find that in the vast wildereness of the great west of Ireland hasn't the plane made a direct hit on the only house for miles around, i.e. his house with wife and babies a goner.

The rest of the film consists of him finding out how it happened, with Cyril Cusack as the Garda detective doing his best to upstage our Rod in the acting stakes.

Haha
    A classic
    I have it in this set

s-l600.jpg

Cry of the Innocent 1980 with Rod Taylor, Nigel Davenport and Cyril Cusack. Directed by the same Irish man that directed the Fighting Prince of Donegal - Michael O'Herlihy. He was the brother of actor Dan O'Herlihy (for younger viewers, you might know him as the head of OCP in the original Robocop.)

Pavee Lackeen, about a young traveller girl. I've been trying to look for it everywhere but I can't seem to find it.

DVD here

• Advertisement

Ailsa, 1994- one lad in an apartment goes off the rails and becomes obsessed with female neighbour. Saw it in the Dublin Film Festival and was broadcast on RTE a few years later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

"Winter's End" an alleged thriller set in Kilkenny, 2005
    https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0470168/

Made for TV film "A Crucial week in the life of Martin Cluxton", fairly grim portrayal of life in Dublin. 1971

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

Quackser Fortune Has a Cousin in the Bronx

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Cry of the Innocent - pure muck despite being based on a Freddie Forsyth book.

It was a 1980s American TV movie, done in the best tradition of American TV movies. Pure escapism.

Speedsie wrote: »
    "Winter's End" an alleged thriller set in Kilkenny, 2005
    https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0470168/

Made for TV film "A Crucial week in the life of Martin Cluxton", fairly grim portrayal of life in Dublin. 1971

It's great - again, I wrote a feature on it and nice to see that my upload is still on YouTube - https://wheresgrandad.wordpress.com/2012/05/17/a-week-in-the-life-of-martin-cluxton/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Was that not just outside clonee

Think it was filmed in the Bog of Allen. The remnants of the set was there for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,474 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Haha
    A classic
    I have it in this set

A set to be watched with beverage in hand :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    A set to be watched with beverage in hand :)

Some entertaining gems in it but you need to be in the mood - cans / beers definitely help

Making Ends Meet, starred Paul Raynor aka Harry Molly from Fair City as a bank robber. RTE showed it in 1999 or 2000 and haven't seen ior heard of it since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

It's great - again, I wrote a feature on it and nice to see that my upload is still on YouTube - https://wheresgrandad.wordpress.com/2012/05/17/a-week-in-the-life-of-martin-cluxton/

Martin Cluxton is great, realistic and very grim, will check out your website thanks. For some reason I always think it's 'A crucial week in the life...', not just 'A Week in the Life...'

Winter's End though, is best forgotten!

Advertisement