Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭Deiseen

cul beag wrote: »
    Definitely there’s unrest amongst the senior panelists and a lot have stated they will not play under the current regime. But don’t want Mcgrath back either.

His position is untenable. I know its an amateur game and my heart goes it to Fanning, it was an absolute nightmare. But Waterford GAA is bigger than one man and unfortunately he should step asside as there is simply no coming back from those results.

Would it be tolerated in any other top county? No it wouldn't so why should we be any different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Deiseen wrote: »
    Would it be tolerated in any other top county? No it wouldn't so why should we be any different?

Theres a large amount of players should go too tbh...watched that limerick match the other night again to try get more objective view and its worse on second viewing

Mcgrath is poor and should 100% go,but its absolutely shameful.the way players carried on that day....and alot of them.dont deserve another chance on county team and as many more incounty careers on the line

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Tramore84

_blaaz wrote: »
    Theres a large amount of players should go too tbh...watched that limerick match the other night again to try get more objective view and its worse on second viewing

Mcgrath is poor and should 100% go,but its absolutely shameful.the way players carried on that day....and alot of them.dont deserve another chance on county team and as many more incounty careers on the line

I haven't been able to bring myself to re-watch the Limerick game. Unbelievably bad. I don't see how this squad and manager can work together next season, it was such a sh#tshow this year that it's really irrecoverable for Fanning imo. Players effectively gave up the year as early as the 1st goal in Limerick game....awful to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

_blaaz wrote: »

Nice Freudian slip there

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Mulbert

The new manager should be allowed stay on, as long as we here on boards allow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Obi1mikal

All the people that are calling for fannings head should put their name in the hat for the job, they seem to know better then him.

Like always in waterford things went very badly, it has to be the managers fault, no, way are any of the players the problem, sure they were sick of winning all irelands. There is more of a tradition of players revolting to get managers out then actually winning all irelands. Top county dont make me laugh, top counties win more then waterford have won in the entire history of the gaa..

Time for people to wake up and realise that waterford are where they are because that is the level that is out there and stop thinking that we have some divine right to win all irelands..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Obi1mikal wrote: »
    All the people that are calling for fannings head should put their name in the hat for the job, they seem to know better then him.

Like always in waterford things went very badly, it has to be the managers fault, no, way are any of the players the problem, sure they were sick of winning all irelands. There is more of a tradition of players revolting to get managers out then actually winning all irelands. Top county dont make me laugh, top counties win more then waterford have won in the entire history of the gaa..

Time for people to wake up and realise that waterford are where they are because that is the level that is out there and stop thinking that we have some divine right to win all irelands..

Who said we have a divine right? I don't think anyone (or not many) would be calling for Fanning to step asside if we were beaten, even well beaten.

But we weren't, we were absolutely annihilated in every sense of the word. Even the clare defeat was completely flattering to us.

I'd throw my hat in the ring but I'd make Fanning look like Brian Cody.

Also, yes some players are to blame and you know what? That'll be up to the next manager to sort out!

Obi1mikal wrote: »
    irelands..

When you say something as idiotic as this it discredits everything that comes after. I'm guessing he's your mate the way you've been going on, but try and find an actual reason to defend him rather than peddling the above BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Obi1mikal

When you say something as idiotic as this it discredits everything that comes after. I'm guessing he's your mate the way you've been going on, but try and find an actual reason to defend him rather than peddling the above BS.

I don't have mates that is why I am on boards..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,874 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Fanning is stubborn and will not walk away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭blueflame

The words Devil and Deep Blue Sea come to mind - if Fanning walks away now he will be remembered as a total catastrophe, with no chance of redemption , if he stays on he has a massive job to do trying to reshape a team and rebuild shattered confidence and moral.

The effects of a really good and really strong manager cannot be overstated. You look at what Cody has achieved yet again this year - at the beginning of the year they were viewed as a side with one exceptional hurler, a number of good to very good hurlers, a number of young promising hurlers and quite a few average hurlers. They were written off by many as legitimate contenders especially after the league. They were out-muscled by Dublin for much of their opening championship Game, Galway beat them on their own patch, they were almost put out of the Championship in Wexford Park and then lost a Leinster Final but yet they are now in an All Ireland Semi Final and though almost everyone expects Limerick to win it would take a brave man to bet against them.

This is the same panel he had at the start of the championship so what has changed. Cody learns from his mistake, he does not tolerate substandard effort or performances, and he does not accept excuses. He has built a mantra in Kilkenny that if you want to wear that jersey you must earn and honour it. He has no problem dropping Richie Hogan or Walter Walsh and he makes sure that every man fights for his life with aggression and determination to win every ball. They are example of good quality skill, played in a simplistic team format, with the ultimate desire to win and for me Cody is the benchmark for every manager in the country.

Look at what Eddie Brennan has achieved this year with Laois , two years ago he got almost run out of KK for loosing an U-21 championship game to Westmeath, and in just 10 months he has turned Laois into a team totally unrecognizable from this time last year. Laois had had no success whatsoever at underage over the last 10 years, they had a poor enough League this year and were well beaten by Waterford in Port Laois,. They come through a lower Division , beat a fancied Dublin and then put in a very respectable performance against Tipperary - what a transformation in just 10 months. People will say Dublin and Tipp were not focused, maybe not fully but you still have to out an beat them and when Dublin drew level as the closing stages of the game approached, Laois drove on again

The point of this post is that with the right Manager getting the right attitude and approach from his panel, things can change very quickly - please don't anyone try and tell me we don't have a far superior panel to Laois - there is no talk about 5 years plans there, while they may be looking at them, they are striving for immediate and year on year improvements . I am fed up hearing that we over estimate the quality of our players - our problem not our quality it is our attitude and approach and this starts right at the top with our County Board.

Unfortunately over the years we ( and by we I mean supporters, Management , Co Board and Players) made it become fashionable to represent your county, while in the likes of Kilkenny it is Honorable to represent your county. Love em or hate em you have to admire them.

Is Fanning the man to lead these change, unfortunately i do not think so, i do not think he is strong enough to take on the county board nor the players . He is a hard working, honest, dedicated and good hurling man, but I feel he does not possess the self belief to drive people in his way of thinking and last year will most likely have undermined this self belief further.

I honestly feel we need a new Manager and preferably would look to an outsider as i am not sure we have anyone of the strength and character needed to mould this squad into a a team with All Ireland winning potential.

Purely because of their location and success surely there are some of the Kilkenny lads who might give it a shot, and I don't necessarily mean the high profiles of DJ Carey or Henry Shefflin. What about the likes of J.J. Delaney , Jackie Tyrell, James McGarry, Michael Kavanagh - these are lads that have done it all and know what it takes to win an All Ireland and being from the South East would make travelling easier for them . By all means we can put a Hartley or someone alongsidde them but we really do need someone to drive the county who will be in a position and able to take on the factions at player and county board level.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I'd love to know how they do it in Kilkenny, perhaps it starts in the clubs, but they seem to consistently produce tough players who scrap for every type of ball. If a forward can't win his own ball he simply will not play.

The CB have enough to think about with the farce of the elections coming up and then we have the world games here

Its been stated there was a clear the air meeting the Tuesday after the Limerick game and Fanning told the squad of his plans for next year after the Cork game. He got a 2 year contract and the only thing that can happen is if he walks away before the end of the summer (imo hes stubborn for that. Getting too a league final is enough for the CB too accept hes the right man

The scary thing will that some good players will not commit with him still in charge. This is much worse than the aftermath of Mcgraths first year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The CB have enough to think about with the farce of the elections coming up and then we have the world games here

Its been stated there was a clear the air meeting the Tuesday after the Limerick game and Fanning told the squad of his plans for next year after the Cork game. He got a 2 year contract and the only thing that can happen is if he walks away before the end of the summer (imo hes stubborn for that. Getting too a league final is enough for the CB too accept hes the right man

The scary thing will that some good players will not commit with him still in charge. This is much worse than the aftermath of Mcgraths first year

Not scary at all, a good clearout needed and starting with lads who think they are bigger thanWaterford hurling would beagood start, short term pain for long term gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

blueflame wrote: »
    Laois had had no success whatsoever at underage over the last 10 years.

Laois actually had a handy minor team in 2013. After losing their first round game against Kilkenny they hammered Meath and Offaly before beating Wexford in the semi-final (I was at that game myself). However, although Wexford had beaten Kilkenny in an earlier round, the Cats won the Leinster final handy enough (13 points). Galway then beat Laois by 9 points in the All-Ireland quarter final. Of that team, Enda Rowland, Ryan Mullaney, Mark Kavanagh, John Lennon and Stephen Bergin are on the current Laois senior team.

Apart from that, I agree with everything you wrote in your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Laois actually had a handy minor team in 2013. After losing their first round game against Kilkenny they hammered Meath and Offaly before beating Wexford in the semi-final (I was at that game myself). However, although Wexford had beaten Kilkenny in an earlier round, the Cats won the Leinster final handy enough (13 points). Galway then beat Laois by 9 points in the All-Ireland quarter final. Of that team, Enda Rowland, Ryan Mullaney, Mark Kavanagh, John Lennon and Stephen Bergin are on the current Laois senior team.

Apart from that, I agree with everything you wrote in your post.

They got to a Leinster U21 final aswell in 2012 i I think

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Mulbert

Kilkenny beating Cork is hardly a massive surprise. We are talking about Kilkenny here. Cork have a flaky team and no better team to exploit that than Kilkenny.

And Laois beat Dublin. These types of results happen from time to time. A once in a blue moon result.

People read way too much into things sometimes.

But Waterford management and the players need to sort it out, whatever that means!

Im still out on whether we have enough forwards either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

They got to a Leinster U21 final aswell in 2012 i I think

Correct. Laois beat Dublin and Carlow to get to the final which they lost by 20 points to Kilkenny. Stephen Maher, Willie Dunphy and Neil Foyle of their current senior squad started while Ross King and Charlie Dwyer came on as subs. Kilkenny had Walter Walsh, Cillian Buckley and Ger Aylward (who scored 2-5). The Dublin team they beat included Chris Crummey, Danny Sutcliffe, John Hetherton, Mark Schutte and Eamon Dillon so they were no pushover.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭blueflame

20 point and 13 point Leinster final defeats can hardly be considered success!!

The point I am making is that much of the discussion on here has centered about our lack of underage success and restructuring it when in fact our problem is what is happening at senior rank

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Not scary at all, a good clearout needed and starting with lads who think they are bigger thanWaterford hurling would beagood start, short term pain for long term gain.

I would start with Gleeson in that case. Classic example of someone who thinks he’s bigger than everything and everyone else. Plays for himself and not the team, yet supporters are supposed to accept his sulking attitude and bow down to him because he won hurler of the year? We had enough Prima Donnas in the previous team 98 to 08 who had all the talent but not the mentality and ultimately we kept failing to land the big one. Looks like we are going to have to sit and watch it all over again, either someone comes in capable of sorting him out or he goes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

blueflame wrote: »
    20 point and 13 point Leinster final defeats can hardly be considered success!!

The point I am making is that much of the discussion on here has centered about our lack of underage success and restructuring it when in fact our problem is what is happening at senior rank

Id be hoping in medium term we'd achieve more success than laois??

Not to knock em/eddie brennen,but i cant see where they go.from.here.....they arent going to win leinster title in next 5 years like....best case is maybe catch kk,wex or most likely galway out in a dogfight

I hate to seem dismissive esp,given the low ebb we are at(realistically mcdonagh cup and below laois based on this year performances)....but we should be aiming to achieve what the tipps,limericks,kks etc are achieving not excusing poor underage structure because laois have a fantastic manager who gets absolute max outta the players

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I would start with Gleeson in that case. Classic example of someone who thinks he’s bigger than everything and everyone else. Plays for himself and not the team, yet supporters are supposed to accept his sulking attitude and bow down to him because he won hurler of the year? We had enough Prima Donnas in the previous team 98 to 08 who had all the talent but not the mentality and ultimately we kept failing to land the big one. Looks like we are going to have to sit and watch it all over again, either someone comes in capable of sorting him out or he goes.

Did he tell you that he think's he's bigger than the team and everyone else? Because if you knew anything about him and what he's like in the build up to games you'd realise how stupid a comment that is. Even watch what he puts himself through when he makes a mistake. Just the smallest amount of observation ridicules that statement.

He didn't play well this year. Although against Clare he hit 4 against Clare and played well that day but there seems to be some expectation that he needs to achieve higher standards than everyone else. I didn't see Shefflin or Cusack highlighting who ran from the half way line to get closest to Conlan for the Clare goal that day but had no issue highlighting a non-issue when he trusted that one of the 4 Waterford players 5 yards ahead of him against Limerick would have a better chance so he went to the wing to receive a pass if the ball turns over like all teams do. Against Tipp he was the only player deliberately man marked and border line fouled whenever the ball crossed the half way line. He came over the to the Waterford selectors relatively early to advise of this and asked about bringing Brendan Maher inside as he may not be comfortable at full back. He got the same reaction he got when up in Parnell Park he asked what to do about Danny Sutcliffe dropping deep, a blank look. He was poor against Limerick but he was one of many who could have been taken off, the issue there was more than one player. And even then when he was in full forward he got no ball for 10 mins.

I can see why he was moved up to the half forward line as Dublin showed how weak we were. But the only time he ever looked good up there was when two things happened, he played deeper (outside of puck outs he was midfield) and with players withdrawn he had space to move into. Both suit as he's at his best moving onto the ball. But in a familiar theme the man who created this situation within a system will never get credit for it.

A long post to dismiss a ridiculous statement but it seems any GAA player who dares to use his image (that he earns through the hours he puts in) is slated.

. Against Tipp he was the only player deliberately man marked and border line fouled whenever the ball crossed the half way line. He came over the to the Waterford selectors relatively early to advise of this and asked about bringing Brendan Maher inside as he may not be comfortable at full back. He got the same reaction he got when up in Parnell Park he asked what to do about Danny Sutcliffe dropping deep, a blank look. He was poor against Limerick but he was one of many who could have been taken off, the issue there was more than one player. And even then when he was in full forward he got no ball for 10 mins.

Just curious on this one, is this something you were told or was it based on observation? Fairly damning if true

I assume that you mean asking for advice on Sutcliffe and suggesting it against Tipp?

The former was visible on the day. Because it was a league game there may have been a reason the management didn't intervene. Although disappointingly it foreshadowed a similar issue against Clare when Tadhg was neither sweeper nor centre back nor marking Tony Kelly.

I was told about the latter but again it was clear what he was saying from watching him as he was constantly being held off the ball so if he goes inside that sort of contact is more likely to get frees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Scoring goal, all very valid points that I would agree with apart from " But in a familiar theme the man who created this situation within a system will never get credit for it"

Are you saying McGrath's system got the best out of gleeson?

Scoring goal, all very valid points that I would agree with apart from " But in a familiar theme the man who created this situation within a system will never get credit for it"

Are you saying McGrath's system got the best out of gleeson?

I don't know because Austin is 24 this year which means that he shouldn't have reached his ceiling yet.

Personally I'd like him centre back or midfield where he has played well for his club this year. But in my opinion Derek McGrath got more out of Austin as a "forward" (previous post explains why I put in the inverted commas) than any other manager has. And that happened because a system was developed to play to his strengths braking forward. Not just him, Kevin Moran and Jamie Barron being two others that it suited.

Unfortunately (and this is not directed at the poster asking the question) it was far too easy for some to just say we play with extra defenders and there was no more to it. I'm not saying it was the perfect set up or even the best for us. But it was far more complex and beneficial than some realise.

Hopefully news will come out soon who will be in charge for 2020 and what players will/wont be there

The senior hurling Championship resumes next weekend

Fri 26th July
    Grp 1- Dungarvan vs Clonea (7pm)
    Grp 3- DLS vs Ballyduff Upper (8.30pm)

Sun 28th July
    Grp 2- Abbeyside vs Roanmore (1.30)
    Grp 2- Mount Sion vs Fourmilewater (1.30)
    Grp 3- Passage vs Lismore (6pm)
    Grp 1- Ballygunner vs Tallow (7.30)

Top team and best runner up go into the QFs with the remaining teams face off in a playoff for the 4 other QF places

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭EYEBALLSOUT

Great win Lowry today. He surely has some Waterford roots that we can cling to??
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Great win Lowry today. He surely has some Waterford roots that we can cling to??
    ;)

it probably wouldn't matter , he has loads of offaly roots at the moment and look where that got them :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Things are not as bad as I feared if people can say with a straight face that we'd be improved by getting shot of Austin Gleeson.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement