Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung S9/9+

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

jonnny68 wrote: »
    anyone? :)

You will still be caught for tax as addresspal would send it through for it rather than bypassing the customs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

errlloyd wrote:
    I'm two months from the end of mine, but I have paid them some massive overruns of my bill over the last 22 months, so I wonder if I went in and asked them to be sound would they be able to let me get an early standard upgrade in store?

Not a chance. I was a day off an upgrade when S8 was released and on a staff family and friends list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Has anyone got the dual SIM version yet or are yous all settling in the single SIM?

Known as the G960F/DS Galaxy S9 Duos afaik and will be sold in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭kokiyou

The US version would be 64GB and use the slower Snapdragon Cpu so better off buying from UK such as carphone warehouse mentioned previously / Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭setanta1984

I was going to pre-order the S9+ Hybrid SIM direct from Samsung UK website, but unfortunately that model is the only one that isn't shipping a week early on pre-order, so will just wait until the full release to order it. I haven't seen the Hybrid (Dual) SIM version available any where else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

SuprSi wrote: »
    When can we expect reviews to be published? I read on one site that they have their review model but I'm wondering whether they have to wait until after the pre-order period is over.

1pm on Thursday which is funnily the same time as the cut-off with Vodafone to order the phone for this Friday's delivery.

I saw some video on YouTube mention a media "full review" embargo until 1pm UK time on Thursday.

I'm currently going through the motions of signing up with VF for my first contract in a decade on the S9+ and my first Android phone in 7 years. We get a discount on VF contracts through work so the €80pm contract works out at €65pm. I'll sell my iPhone 6 for maybe €250 or €300.

If my numbers are correct:
    VF contract - €200 up front + €65pm @ 24 months = €1760 - iPhone = €1500ish

SIM Free from CPW - €740 (including iPhone 6 trade in) + €40pm @ 24 months = €1700.

Works out €200 cheaper and I do get the Sky Sports Mobile for whatever that's worth (already have a family Spotify subscription).

I was going to pre-order the S9+ Hybrid SIM direct from Samsung UK website, but unfortunately that model is the only one that isn't shipping a week early on pre-order, so will just wait until the full release to order it. I haven't seen the Hybrid (Dual) SIM version available any where else?

They're probably the same.
    You can use dual SIM, but then you can't have the SD card (hybrid).

If the phone memory is 64\128gb then you might not need the SD card anyhow (depending on ones needs).

Think it makes sense to wait if you can see yourself using dual SIM (I do).

Edit: I remember reading that'll be sold on Amazon.de, might be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭setanta1984

biebiebie wrote: »

Think it makes sense to wait if you can see yourself using dual SIM (I do)

Yeah I'm definitely waiting, as I need to have the dual SIM as well.
    Was just wondering if anyone has seen it advertised anywhere other than direct from Samsung. I guess maybe other sellers just don't have any of the hybrid models up for their pre-orders as they wouldn't be as popular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

SachaJ wrote: »
    1pm on Thursday which is funnily the same time as the cut-off with Vodafone to order the phone for this Friday's delivery.

I saw some video on YouTube mention a media "full review" embargo until 1pm UK time on Thursday.

I'm currently going through the motions of signing up with VF for my first contract in a decade on the S9+ and my first Android phone in 7 years. We get a discount on VF contracts through work so the €80pm contract works out at €65pm. I'll sell my iPhone 6 for maybe €250 or €300.

SIM Free from CPW - €740 (including iPhone 6 trade in) + €40pm @ 24 months = €1700.

Works out €200 cheaper and I do get the Sky Sports Mobile for whatever that's worth (already have a family Spotify subscription).

I suppose the big thing to look at is do you need €40 or €65,plan per month?

I know the Vodafone X weekend deal will do me fine at €200per month so will be looking for sim free deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

Don't forget the extra charges of over usage (or abroad) and being tied into a 2 year contract.

With PAYG you have the freedom to see all available plans in the next 2 years instead of being tied to one. I'm on Vodafone X at the moment and its perfect, but maybe next year there will be a deal to include something that isn't out now, or maybe 5G or something mad that's not available now. I'd pay the extra for the sim free option.

Actually it'll be cheaper than the CPWH price if you buy from Amazon or Adverts and sell your iPhone separate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Grateful Dread

The only differences between the 60e and 80e plans:

60pm
    Data:15GB
    International texts and minutes: 100

80pm
    Data: 30GB
    International texts and minutes: 500

Would you really use that much data? There's WIFI everywhere now. I think it's a bit of a red herring in what they're offering. It's make it seem like you're getting more but are you? Will you use the international texts and minutes?

I reckon 90% of people could even survive on the 40e plan if they were vigilant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Id find it impossible to use 10g of data, I actually don't know how people use huge chunks of data.
    No WiFi and downloading/streaming?

The only differences between the 60e and 80e plans:

60pm
    Data:15GB
    International texts and minutes: 100

80pm
    Data: 30GB
    International texts and minutes: 500

Would you really use that much data? There's WIFI everywhere now. I think it's a bit of a red herring in what they're offering. It's make it seem like you're getting more but are you? Will you use the international texts and minutes?

I reckon 90% of people could even survive on the 40e plan if they were vigilant.

Potentially I would use the data. I was on the 10GB with Meteor and went over a few times so now on the 15GB. I commute a couple of hours a day and listen to a lot of Spotify (at the highest quality rate), YouTube at high quality rates etc.

In contrast I rarely make phone calls and texts so the minutes are not any use to me. WhatsApp for messaging.

I could maybe switch to the €60pm (€50 on Infinity) and try keep under the 15GB. Means another €200 up front against €360 over 24 months.

Already placed the order with VF so perhaps I’ll check my usage and see is it worth cancelling and downgrading packages.

Also what are the common VF extra charges that I might get hit with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm on the €80pm plan because I get work discount that brings it down to €65 but there are definitely months where I'd be touching the limits of that 30gb cap.

Actually thinking of going down the Upgrade Anytime route with Vodafone. Any idea how much the 9+ would cost on the 80pm plan with six months left on my current contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I'm on the €80pm plan because I get work discount that brings it down to €65 but there are definitely months where I'd be touching the limits of that 30gb cap.

Actually thinking of going down the Upgrade Anytime route with Vodafone. Any idea how much the 9+ would cost on the 80pm plan with six months left on my current contract?

I have two months left on mine and they quoted me 650!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

errlloyd wrote: »
    I have two months left on mine and they quoted me 650!

Won't be doing that so, mental price altogether. Be better buying sim free.

Also what are the common VF extra charges that I might get hit with?

I am with Vodafone for a number of years now, with the recent change to PAYG.

I had a few contracts with them and anytime I went UK or Europe I always came back with extra charges on my account. This was even when the new laws came in about usage abroad and it really put me off bill pay. Then, like you said, if you go above your capped internet usage, calls etc that's more charges. Other than that I find their signal in my area excellent and I can't fault them now, i'm getting excellent value for money.

20 a month = 20gb, 100 mins , 100 texts. Still 45 euro cheaper than the bill pay plan you could get, sure you could always buy add on options and still be cheaper.

peteb2 wrote: »
    Not a chance. I was a day off an upgrade when S8 was released and on a staff family and friends list.

Managed to weasle one, but I am an absolute fiend for ending up paying for extras so they didn't want to lose me as a customer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

How definite is the Friday delivery of pre-orders with Vodafone? I'll be out of the country from early on Monday for over 2 weeks so if I can't be guaranteed delivery on Friday I may need to look at other arrangements.

My VF pre-order was just cancelled due to “criteria limitations” whatever that means

My VF pre-order was just cancelled due to “criteria limitations” whatever that means

Hmm, can you let me know if you find out why? I am trying to pull it all together for Thursday lunchtime, but if it turns out that I'll get this too I won't bother,

Hmm, can you let me know if you find out why? I am trying to pull it all together for Thursday lunchtime, but if it turns out that I'll get this too I won't bother,

I rang and basically said they didn’t know why it was cancelled. Confirmed they could see it cancelled on the system but not why.

I was told to do the order again and it might go through this time!

The computer says no.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭chases0102

Is phone worth an update from S7?

What's the opinion of the new lilac colour?

Looks interesting in YouTube videos.

But had anyone seen it for real?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

chases0102 wrote: »
    Is phone worth an update from S7?

That's what I'm upgrading from, it's a 2 year old phone so should be a decent upgrade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Three won't have them until the 16th of March but I'm thinking of upgrading from the S8+..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭Malmedicine

Truckermal wrote: »
    Three won't have them until the 16th of March but I'm thinking of upgrading from the S8+..

Well if your looking to sell your s8+ on PM me :D

Just pre-ordered from VF. It was a bit of a rigmarole exiting my contract early, but to be fair I was hardly ever on hold and customer care were sound.

I'm stupidly excited about picking it up tomorrow! :D Got the case delivered yesterday and the phone is quite a bit bigger than the S7, which will be interesting.

• Advertisement

I'm stupidly excited about picking it up tomorrow! :D Got the case delivered yesterday and the phone is quite a bit bigger than the S7, which will be interesting.

Got an email around 1:15 saying mine had dispatched. Picking it up from Grafton Street, you vodafone too?

Moving to Vodafone but got the phone in Carphone Warehouse (UK).

Did I make a massive error? Guy in Vodafone shop just told me the pre orders were the 16th and the regular release was 23rd. He's wrong right?

Did I make a massive error? Guy in Vodafone shop just told me the pre orders were the 16th and the regular release was 23rd. He's wrong right?

Pre-orders are definitely delivered today, not sure what he's talking about. General sale is in a week.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Pre-orders are definitely delivered today, not sure what he's talking about. General sale is in a week.

Yep, got mine this morning. Beast of a phone

I put a pre-order through on Wednesday but have not had any dispatch notification

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ForestFire

That was the case for the (pre)pre-orders up to yesterday, and to be delivered today.

They are still taking (Normal)pre-orders now, but they will not arrive until the 16th with the general sales?

Maybe they expect to have a high number of further pre-orders, so will not have availability of general sales, so anyone who has not ordered before the 16th will have to wait.

So it depends on which pre-orders you/VF are talking about:confused:

ForestFire wrote: »
    So it depends on which pre-orders you/VF are talking about:confused:

Gladly the guy was just wrong, got mine about an hour and a half ago. Pretty challenging actually capturing super slow mo, but very cool when you do.

Gladly the guy was just wrong, got mine about an hour and a half ago. Pretty challenging actually capturing super slow mo, but very cool when you do.

Good to hear, I did not pull the trigger yet and at this stage happy to waith to see the P20 Pro and HTC U12 options at the end of the month (Hopefully).

I'm sure I can handle the two week wait:eek:.

I will likely go with the S9 from what is known of the other release to date, but will wait, just in case there is a surprise feature during their releases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

got my S9+ this morning but havent had a chance to play with it yet . nice case that comes with it though

• Advertisement

very wrong i got mine on vodafone this morning

Looking forward to in-depth hands on reviews on real time battery life and any major differences against the S8!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

I was in with 3 today and the guy was sure they would be selling it on Monday.

I'm looking for the S9+ in black but need to sell my S7 Edge first.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭butrasgali

Are 3 taking trade ins..i have a s7 to get rid of

j14 wrote: »
    I was in with 3 today and the guy was sure they would be selling it on Monday.

I'm looking for the S9+ in black but need to sell my S7 Edge first.

The black seems to be a right fingerprint magnet from the video reviews I've seen.
    Not so much a problem if you'll be rocking a case. Otherwise you might need to carry a cloth especially if you have "greasy" fingers ;-)

Does anyone who has the black care to comment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

The black seems to be a right fingerprint magnet from the video reviews I've seen.
    Not so much a problem if you'll be rocking a case. Otherwise you might need to carry a cloth especially if you have "greasy" fingers ;-)

Have the black S8 and can confirm the same, however I put a spigen case on it and that solves the problem. Its ultra thin and you wouldn't even notice it on the phone.

They've also kept my phones in the past in 100% grade A condition, here is the one for the S9 if you are interested:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Spigen%C2%AE-Crystal-Flexible-Protection-Matte-Black/dp/B0789VKH5Y/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1520637722&sr=8-12&keywords=s9+spigen+case

yup total fingerprint magnet . worse on the back of the phone that the front but to be fair this isnt just a samsung thing . ive had phones from all the major brands and they were all the same.

i have it in the cover so you dont notice it

Mine arrived yesterday and I’m still trying to figure it out after coming from an iPhone 6. The weight of the 9+ is surprising. Quite heavy.

Any recommend a charger? Need to get something for work. Or just use the micro-USB to USB-C adapter? Also need to get a screen protector, tempered glass or similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Have the black S8 and can confirm the same, however I put a spigen case on it and that solves the problem. Its ultra thin and you wouldn't even notice it on the phone.

They've also kept my phones in the past in 100% grade A condition, here is the one for the S9 if you are interested:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Spigen%C2%AE-Crystal-Flexible-Protection-Matte-Black/dp/B0789VKH5Y/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1520637722&sr=8-12&keywords=s9+spigen+case

Yes very good covers, have one for my s7, but unfortunaty bought after the back glass broke in corner.

No further damage since though. The case itself is starting to crack now but after 2 years use.

Advertisement