Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭franklyon

km79 wrote: »

Anyway let's see how it goes
    I'll be amazed if we don't win

Thats the problem with Mayo, we win games when we don't have a chance in hell and we lose against opposition we should beat out the gate. I don't think Cork are a bad team and with all this criticism I am sure they will have a point to prove.
    They also made a fair few goal chances against Kerry and if one or two of them had gone it it might have been a different story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Cork are a mid table Division 2 team.

So far we have lost to Galway, also division 2, and struggled against Clare and Derry, also division 2.

Forget about last year or the last 5 years. All the evidence points to us struggling to put Division 2 teams away.

The only way I see us beating Cork is if they run out of steam. Footballing wise, we've been awful this year in the championship, probably even worse than Cork! Anyone looking at us could equally say we are a shambles, certainly after the Derry game.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

franklyon wrote: »
    Thats the problem with Mayo, we win games when we don't have a chance in hell and we lose against opposition we should beat out the gate. I don't think Cork are a bad team and with all this criticism I am sure they will have a point to prove.
    They also made a fair few goal chances against Kerry and if one or two of them had gone it it might have been a different story

Apart from Galway the only team to beat us over the 6 years previous won the AI so that's just rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Apart from Galway the only team to beat us over the 6 years previous won the AI so that's just rubbish

To be fair he was talking about this year

There's a big difference between mayo this year and 2012-15 in fairness

Definitely not one mayo can take for granted. Cork will be chomping at the bit

jr86 wrote: »
    To be fair he was talking about this year

There's a big difference between mayo this year and 2012-15 in fairness

Definitely not one mayo can take for granted. Cork will be chomping at the bit
    He wasn't
    He made a general point about mayo losing to teams we expect to beat and beating teams we don't
    We would have a few AIs by now if that was the case
    I'm fine anyway
    Mayo will beat cork with a bit to spare

• Advertisement

The galway fans are going to have some field day in here if mayo do lose now!

They will anyway
    Anyone seen cass this week ?
    Nope thought not

He might have been including league. In fairness the Cavan game this year and galway losses the last two years in champ were all occasions we should have won

The Cavan game is quite relevant as it was an important match as league games go

I'd fancy mayo but like the galway match it wouldn't take many intangibles to swing it in cork's favour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

km79 wrote:
    I'm saying i don't agree with all poor mouthing of our chances It's a game we should and will win

We should win, Yes. We will win, who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

So far we have lost to Galway, also division 2, and struggled against Clare and Derry, also division 2.

Forget about last year or the last 5 years. All the evidence points to us struggling to put Division 2 teams away.

The only way I see us beating Cork is if they run out of steam. Footballing wise, we've been awful this year in the championship, probably even worse than Cork! Anyone looking at us could equally say we are a shambles, certainly after the Derry game.

Ah there's no way we should be approaching the contest like that,if we continue our incremental improvement in form we should beat Cork.We have got to believe we have superior footballers.Cork are a division two team for a reason and although we are oft struggling over the line,we're getting over the line

They were very poor against Waterford and Tipperary.Only for Quinlavin's injury/Comerford's absence and Tipp's inability to cope when Cork pushed up the kickouts in the second half the result would likely have been very different.

Cork are dangerous opposition and undoubtedly could turn us over but we've got to be quietly confident.

I'm very worried about any Kerry contest,a slow start could condemn us to sorry defeat.That league game down in Tralee greatly concerns me.We should have been beaten out the door at half time and they were minus so many championship starters.

All that said no more than ourselves they certainly can be got at defensively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I'm not calling it a certainty
    Who knows we could score 2 own goals and get a man sent off ;)

I'm saying i don't agree with all poor mouthing of our chances
    It's a game we should and will win

If you're saying that we will win, then you are saying it's a certainty.

Mayo are so unpredictable at the moment. You'd never know. Part of me thinks there is a massive game in them yet this year (that sentiment is probably based on previous years memories). But there's a huge part of me that thinks that their goose is cooked, and that their top 4 status is based on hype alone. Have to say that I was happy to be getting Cork in a game that is the last game before quarters. There are far slippier teams still left at that stage. If Mayo can keep a rein on Kerrigan, should be a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Pure tashte

Cork have struggled against Div 3 and 4 teams in Munster before getting bet out the gate in Fitzgerald stadium. Bad and all as Mayo have been, I don't think they've hit the same lows as Cork yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Of course a few will,waiting in the long grass.There are elements of those fans in every county.Is it going to make any difference that I or others might have some confidence in the ability of the team to beat Cork as to whither they'll be ready to pounce?Of course not,unless we win Sam they'll get their chance to put the boot in at some stage.

We certainly aren't motoring very well this year but I'm glad the Mayo players take no need of the tone of negativity that permeates elements of the Mayo support base.

Teams generally do improve as the championship goes on and that's as true for Cork as it is Mayo.
    We should have too much for Cork agreed, but writing any opponent off at any stage is a recipe for complacence and a shock result.
    Everyone wrote off Roscommon, you just need to look at the Pools thread. Everyone wrote off Down against Monaghan. There are a few other examples too. My point is we shouldn't be complacent, and we should approach it as if we are facing Dublin or Kerry.

It's more the "we will win" stuff

We were able to give galway a hard time for being overconfident v Ros

Don't know what negativity your referencing - here anyway. It seems well balanced enough. I haven't seen a definitive cork prediction yet

My prediction is more of the same as against Derry and Clare.
    We will be poor in the first half. Our forwards will struggle. We might get a lucky goal but it will be unlikely.
    I'm guessing about 0-6 apiece at half time.
    Second half we come out improved but the game is still in the mix up to the 50th or even 60th minute. We pull away in the last ten minutes to win by 3-4 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

I disagree with people writing cork off completely. They might not be going well, but Cork teams seem to have a real underdog mentality and there is nobody more adept at producing a performance when they are given no chance against a big fish (not unlike ourselves), while struggling when they are classed as outright favourites (again, not unlike ourselves). It is potentially a perfect storm.

I would worry there is a kick in them, and we are long enough on the road now to know not to be talking them down in the manner some are. If they get an early goal, they could be very dangerous.

My prediction is more of the same as against Derry and Clare.
    We will be poor in the first half. Our forwards will struggle. We might get a lucky goal but it will be unlikely.
    I'm guessing about 0-6 apiece at half time.
    Second half we come out improved but the game is still in the mix up to the 50th or even 60th minute. We pull away in the last ten minutes to win by 3-4 points.

Would be thinking similarly along these lines

A point to note overall is that cork have far more off the bench than Clare and derry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Even as unpredictable as Mayo currently are I can't see us losing to Cork. Surely the slow starts of the last couple games will be eradicated going forward.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Its a strange year so far, the underdogs have performed well and come out on top in some cases. Roscommon, Carlow, Down, Galway against us to a lesser extent then in the hurling there has been a few strange results.
    I'd be very wary of Cork. They have the talent to pull it out of the fire. Like 2011 when we may as well have gone home. The Cork lads didn't travel as they were waiting for the next game. Same as 2012 against Dublin.

We have been around long enough to never be cocky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Certainly if what I have been reading is to be believed, Cork Football is in a bad place and certainly plays second fiddle to the hurling there. Their team that won the All Ireland in 2010 should have won another either the year before or the year after. By the same token this Mayo team should have nailed one or two by now so we've a similarity there, other than the obvious missing one...
    We certainly should be good enough to beat Cork but again they're going to be like a wounded animal and certainly won't take the odds being offered lightly.
    We should get past them but we're in no position to be writing Cork off in this game.
    Mistakes made vs Galway, Derry and Clare give us opportunity to improve. We probably would not have had the knowledge to do that had we bested Galway, we might have ended up the same side of the Result as they did vs the Rossies and be in a worse position than we are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,044 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

One reason Mayo have won v Derry and Clare is because they are fitter, stronger and have a deeper bench.

They blew Derry away in ET, they did the same to Clare in the second half.

Do Cork have enough depth to stick with Mayo for 77.5 minutes ?

I really don't know, but I doubt it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Absolutely no way do they imo, unless Mayo mess up.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭franklyon

Fair enough in the championship but what about the league the losses against Cavan and Monaghan, while we won away to both Tyrone and Kerry.
    My point being that they do not do well when they are favourites to win. (not even mentioning the Derry and Clare games)

This Cork team still have life in them, yes they might be in a crisis but write them off at your peril.
    He might have been including league. In fairness the Cavan game this year and galway losses the last two years in champ were all occasions we should have won

The Cavan game is quite relevant as it was an important match as league games go

Exactly what I was trying to point out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Always_Running

One reason Mayo have won v Derry and Clare is because they are fitter, stronger and have a deeper bench.

They blew Derry away in ET, they did the same to Clare in the second half.

Do Cork have enough depth to stick with Mayo for 77.5 minutes ?

Derry were clearly gone by the 60th minute but they still could easily have won that game in normal time. The two goals against Clare in as many minutes killed that contest however take away those goals and it would be 14 v 13 in points scored.

Cork right now are about the same level as Derry and Clare all played Div two football this spring and winning few games between them. Mayo in past form wouldn't have struggled against Clare,Derry in any period of the game and Mayo will likely struggle in a period of the Cork game also but its another favorable qualifier draw and another game that Mayo should win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Derry were clearly gone by the 60th minute but they still could easily have won that game in normal time. The two goals against Clare in as many minutes killed that contest however take away those goals and it would be 14 v 13 in points scored.

Cork right now are about the same level as Derry and Clare all played Div two football this spring and winning few games between them. Mayo in past form wouldn't have struggled against Clare,Derry in any period of the game and Mayo will likely struggle in a period of the Cork game also but its another favorable qualifier draw and another game that Mayo should win.

But you can't take away those scores, we got on top early in the second half, almost like a full court press, and got the goals.
    From there on in, it was coasting really.

We beat what was put in front of us, on to the next game.

We're at a crucial point in the season, the prize on offer is a trip back to Croker against Kerry or Roscommon, you can be damn sure our lads will be focused.

We've been slowly improving game on game, so I'm happy enough with that.

Of course Cork will be wounded, but do they have the wherewithall do overcome their limitations and raise to a level to beat us?

IMO, only if we play poorly over the 70 minutes.
    Even if we start slowly, we have enough to come back at them and beat them, and our bench, no matter who's selected, is far stronger.

The Roscommon result against Galway should be enough to ensure the lads are completely focused on the one game they have to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭casscass4444

They will anyway
    Nope thought not

I was on here during the week posting about the traffic in c Galway and clarenbridge but if I'm on your blocked list like you enjoy stating its going to be hard for you to see my posts isn't it?
    You seem to have a serious grudge with Galway winning some games.huge difference in going out and winning a match as opposed to should have won it as some posters say for Mayo.any bookmaker will tell you that or are the bookies in Mayo paying out if it's agreed that Mayo should have won?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Season Ticket Holders will be seated in the Mackey Stand and unreserved seating will be in operation on the day.

Once payments have been processed you will simply be required to present your GAA Season Ticket card at the designated turnstiles on the day.

Unreserved seating will be in operation. Stand seating will be allocated on a first come first served basis.

I think there will be plenty of room so no fighting ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

They will anyway
    Nope thought not

I was on here during the week posting about the traffic in c Galway and clarenbridge but if I'm on your blocked list like you enjoy stating its going to be hard for you to see my posts isn't it?
    You seem to have a serious grudge with Galway winning some games.huge difference in going out and winning a match as opposed to should have won it as some posters say for Mayo.any bookmaker will tell you that or are the bookies in Mayo paying out if it's agreed that Mayo should have won?

Stopped reading when I seen the poster. Think that's what most in this thread are now doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Oldtree wrote: »
    I think there will be plenty of room so no fighting ;):D

:eek::eek::eek:

inph841459.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement