Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

kupus wrote: »
    One problem i have with mayo, and i think its a big seperator between mayo and dublin kerry tyrone.
    They take the foot off the gas. It was very noticable in tbe hammering mayo gave galway a few years ago.
    They had galway in bits, and took their foot off and eased up near the end.

If that was kerry v cork and kerry were that much in front, i dont think they would ease up. Theyd make sure to bury their neighbours. No mercy.

Same with Tyrone against any of their rivals up in ulster. They would bury them up to the last minute.

How many times have we gone 4 or 5 or 6 points ahead and then eased up only to be pegged back and in some cases beaten.

Its a recurring theme and until its addressed I cant see us going anywhere.

In fact, as much i hate writing this i think the rossies are going to beat us the next day out.

Ya want to wash your mouth out for saying that last piece in your post.
    I'll be surprised if the bus knows the way to Crocker.
    Iam thinking or problem is on the sideline and has being for yrs iam not confident that rochford knows what he at 7 points up Barrett and sos come off what was the thinking there

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

We were 7 points up and cruising and management took off far too many of our top players, particularly defenders in a short space of time. Understandably mistakes were made as a result. Cork very quickly realised they had a chance and after all the criticism they've faced they were always going to go down fighting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

So does anyone know what the story is with Boland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

seligehgit wrote: »
    Ah my best buddy I was a wondering where I'd get a copy of the game as I'm reliant on the auld slygo :D but haven't the facility to record.All my dodgy boxes not longer facilitate the recording of SKY.

Shall give it the full analytics before the Sunday Game.Hope all is well up your direction,another great escape.

Looking forward to another day out.:)

Not my work this time :D But thank you to whoever did upload this as like alot of games involving Mayo this needs a watch back. All's good but this week will be a challenge considering all these Ros borders around me ::D I hope we see yer Castlebar clubman Kirby involved at some stage the next day. Would have offered more than Regan and Dillon imo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Not my work this time :DBut thank you to whoever did upload this as like alot of games involving Mayo this needs a watch back. All's good but this week will be a challenge considering all these Ros borders around me ::D I hope we see yer Castlebar clubman Kirby involved at some stage the next day. Would have offered more than Regan and Dillon imo

;)
    Yes you're entrapped up there,poor Zippy has'nt a chance.

Hard to understand how Danny Kirby has fallen so far down the call to arms order.He has offered more than either party when he got his limited championship action v Derry and Sligo if I can recall.He scored a corker under the stand against Derry.Tis strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

naughto wrote: »
    Ya want to wash your mouth out for saying that last piece in your post.

How do you think i feel after typing that. Ive had to dip my hands inbleach just to get them clean again. Might have to go for a shot of endomycin next.

Was just thinking the trains will be a nightmare with the rossies going up as well. They would want one for us and one for the sheep stealers cos it could get a bit heated jamemed on the one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Keegan getting a black card was a huge loss for us. Iifc it happened just after sos and barrett were replaced. Ger caff is really struggling and its frightening when teams run at us through the middle. Very open. We cant have many complaints up front. Aos cillian and andy played really well. Loftus was dangerous when he came on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Was just thinking the trains will be a nightmare with the rossies going up as well. They would want one for us and one for the sheep stealers cos it could get a bit heated jamemed on the one

May need to get in some ticket collectors from Japan to give advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jasonroche123

So does anyone know what the story is with Boland?

Dropped from 26 it seems - I was never his biggest fan and heard he was poor in training but if true it is some fall from grace. No report of any injury like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Dropped from 26 it seems - I was never his biggest fan and heard he was poor in training but if true it is some fall from grace. No report of any injury like

He is too light
    It was evident in the league never mind when the real stuff comes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

glack wrote: »
    We were 7 points up and cruising and management took off far too many of our top players, particularly defenders in a short space of time.

Maybe thinking ahead to Roscommon? If so nearly cost us the game.

franklyon wrote: »
    Maybe thinking ahead to Roscommon? If so nearly cost us the game.

Yes I thought about it on way home and o too wonder was he thinking ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

km79 wrote: »
    He is too light
    It was evident in the league never mind when the real stuff comes

A bit disappointing to see that, I was a fan and think he's one for the future. I think Rochford intended playing more of a kicking game this year and Boland would fit into that. But 2nd half vs Clare proved that direct running is our strength and we need to stick to that.

I thought he had a very good league for a new young lad, hope he keeps at it. He will need to bulk up a bit.

What are people's thoughts on Rochford? I think I'm still a believer but I'm not sure why. The whole sweeper saga is a bit of a black mark against him. As much as I think we need him making runs up the field, I think it's time to go back to McLoughs. He eventually got it nailed down last year.

Ah I'd be very disappointed for the lad,one for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Blackjack

PARlance wrote: »
    A bit disappointing to see that, I was a fan and think he's one for the future. I think Rochford intended playing more of a kicking game this year and Boland would fit into that. But 2nd half vs Clare proved that direct running is our strength and we need to stick to that.

I thought he had a very good league for a new young lad, hope he keeps at it. He will need to bulk up a bit.

What are people's thoughts on Rochford? I think I'm still a believer but I'm not sure why. The whole sweeper saga is a bit of a black mark against him. As much as I think we need him making runs up the field, I think it's time to go back to McLoughs. He eventually got it nailed down last year.

Boland would have been eaten alive by the Cork backs, most of whom are big, hardy lumps of lads. To those who feel he should have started, who from the starting forwards would have to have been dropped to accommodate?. The only answer I could think of would be have him come on instead of Regan, but again Regan is bulkier and better able to handle that sort of stuff. Loftus would be ahead of Boland for yesterday's game.

I still have faith in Rochford. I agree re the sweeper but to be fair Higgins tried to do that yesterday and in my view he's not a sweeper. Never was. The best man for that is Kevin Mc and maybe we revert to that format from here on out. It's not as if the team will have forgotten how that worked, though last year it was forced upon us due to the absence of an established full back.
    Given the criticism our full back got for yesterday's game, we might have the sweeper tactic forces upon us again I fear.

He's one for the future alright, needs to bulk up a bit. To be fair he was competing with Jason Doc for a starting spot. I'd have Jason start for us any day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Pure tashte

Despite his slight stature, you'd imagine he'd have as much to offer as Regan or Dillon.

CO'Cs scoring records continue to amaze. As far as I know he's up to 2-40 for the Championship now? Ever if he were to not play again for the rest of the season there's a good chance he's still be top scorer at the end of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Blackjack wrote: »
    He's one for the future alright, needs to bulk up a bit. To be fair he was competing with Jason Doc for a starting spot. I'd have Jason start for us any day of the week.

Not sure if you think I was hinting that he should start. I wouldn't have started him, just a bit sorry to see him out of the squad is all.

Haven't had time to watch it back but Doc was very good. He puts in a great shift. I was never his biggest fan but I'll eat my hat.

PARlance wrote: »
    Not sure if you think I was hinting that he should start. I wouldn't have started him, just a bit sorry to see him out of the squad is all.

Haven't had time to watch it back but Doc was very good. He puts in a great shift. I was never his biggest fan but I'll eat my hat.

I've always been a big fan of his to be honest. I'd go as far as to say the reasons we stuttered so much in the league was not having him as well as AOS available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jasonroche123

As regards the debate about Boland - To me he never offered much, He don;t give us something the likes of Doherty and McLoughlin etc can and he isn't strong enough o compete across the year. Tbh I can't ever see him featuring much unless he bulks up . He is a nice player but I dont see him ever being good enough in top games

Blackjack wrote: »
    I've always been a big fan of his to be honest. I'd go as far as to say the reasons we stuttered so much in the league was not having him as well as AOS available

I'd agree 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭TommyDe

- negatives - Higgins is not a sweeper . We are way too open and have not corrected it yet. -management changes cost our lads dearly in full time . .

I agree with this. Oddly enough I think he should swap Higgins with Mcloughlin. Higgins was brilliant going forward. And Mcloughlin was better in that sweeper role lady year.

Despite his slight stature, you'd imagine he'd have as much to offer as Regan or Dillon.

CO'Cs scoring records continue to amaze. As far as I know he's up to 2-40 for the Championship now? Ever if he were to not play again for the rest of the season there's a good chance he's still be top scorer at the end of the year.

Fergal Boland definitely is one for the future with some strength and conditioning, oft mentioned that he's a similar skillset to a young Alan Dillon.

He offers arguably more off the bench than Evan Regan or Alan Dillon.Very unlucky to be dropped from the panel imo.

There's an intelligent footballer within Boland. Mayo need more of them now and into the future. His time might be over for the season (perhaps physicality wise) but I wouldn't write Boland off yet and expect him to feature again some day. Thought he had a decent season for his 1st

Few 17,18,19 tallies but only two significant 20+. Roscommon in 2013 as you mentioned and the blitz against Sligo in 2015. I thought the win against Donegal would have featured but no, we scored 4-16 in that.

In fairness we have contributed a few goals but our points tally is our Achilles heel at times alright

Finally adding to this was a big positive to take from yesterday anyhow! Read that it was in the 80% for accuracy, great to see. Hopefully we keep that going into next weekend

Finally adding to this was a big positive to take from yesterday anyhow! Read that it was in the 80% for accuracy, great to see. Hopefully we keep that going into next weekend

Aidan o shea is using the ball much much better this year
    Laying it off earlier and laying SO many scores

Brilliant yday again
    Didn't even realize how much so until I watched it back

I thought the umpire made a bad call for the "point " but it was actually much much worse than I thought
    Good job the linesman overruled it ..........

About 10 steps taken for first cork goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Rossies have ready named their team for next Sunday.

Loftus was as good as I thought he was yday
    Such a talent

Overall our forward play was miles above what's it's been usually

That's a big positive
    Now need to remember how to lock the back door again !

Clarke was brilliant yday too

I've no idea what David Drake offers

• Advertisement

statto25 wrote: »

Same team as the last day,hardly surprising.

statto25 wrote: »

LOL they aren't even pretending
    The whole thing is a joke now
    Mayo will probably tweet 4 different teams at midnight next Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Mayo Club 51

DFcLC2pXYAE7Pj2.jpg

Just watched it back again, well bits and pieces here and there anyway, Lee Keegan unlucky to get a black card as he had been fouled himself seconds earlier, at least he should be well rested for next Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

LOL they aren't even pretending
    The whole thing is a joke now
    Mayo will probably tweet 4 different teams at midnight next Saturday

Maby roscommon are trying some sort of reverse reverse psychology? ;)

Oldtree wrote: »
    Maby roscommon are trying some sort of reverse reverse psychology? ;)

TBF simple consistency really,they announced their team the Sunday previous to the Connacht final.

Can't see any element of reverse psychology involved,Kevin McStay could hardly change the team after their performance the last day out.

• Advertisement

TBF simple consistency really,they announced their team the Sunday previous to the Connacht final.

Can't see any element of reverse psychology involved,Kevin McStay could hardly change the team after their performance the last day out.

It's a week to the game
    Does training this week not count ?
    Lads close to the team pushing for a place ?

And then of course there could be an injury

It's a week to the game
    Does training this week not count ?
    Lads close to the team pushing for a place ?

And then of course there could be an injury

Of course it does but unless the players in situ are doing something awfully wrong one rarely changes a winning team,if there's an injury quel est la probleme?Simply make the change,it's really a storm in a teacup.

How many team permutations has Stephen Rochford made leading up to games without anybody batting an eyelid?We've had many matchday changes.McStay is simply emphatically expressing a vote of confidence in the men who went into battle the last day and is consistent in the timing of that expression.

Of course it does but unless the players in situ are doing something awfully wrong one rarely changes a winning team,if there's an injury quel est la probleme?Simply make the change,it's really a storm in a teacup.

How many team permutations has Stephen Rochford made leading up to games without anybody batting an eyelid?We've had many matchday changes.McStay is simply emphatically expressing a vote of confidence in the men who went into battle the last day and is consistent in the timing of that expression.
    So just wait till after training Friday night to make sure there are no injuries and then name the unchanged team ?
    It's mind games
    Putting it out early as if he doesn't care about the opponents
    It's the same as naming a dummy team due to all the possibilities between now and Sunday

Anyway it's makes no odds I just think it's absolutely daft

So just wait till after training Friday night to make sure there are no injuries and then name the unchanged team ?
    It's mind games
    Putting it out early as if he doesn't care about the opponents
    It's the same as naming a dummy team due to all the possibilities between now and Sunday

Anyway it's makes no odds I just think it's absolutely daft

Mind games are an essential part of sport,I still think it's much ado about nothing.Is there any harm in the psychology of concentrating on your own team and letting your opponents worry about you?It expresses a certain confidence in your team naming them this early.Such is McStay's prerogative.As you correctly state named teams mean nothing anyway.

Anyway we're up momentarily on the Sunday Game!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Well we are talking about it so from that point of view maybe its working......

If we beat them it won't have worked mind.....

• Advertisement

Good points made tonight regarding cafferkey, we must have someone else who can jump more than 2 inches available as a full back ??

He has to be dropped no question about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

He has to be dropped no question about it
    The problem is who do you replace him with. It's so late in the season to go messing around with such a vital position. We just don't have many options here unless you drop Barrett into the position but I do agree with you that a change needs to happen

Coen and Barrett at 6 or 3 or 3 and 6 would be my answer

The problem is who do you replace him with. It's so late in the season to go messing around with such a vital position. We just don't have many options here unless you drop Barrett into the position but I do agree with you that a change needs to happen

Anybody at this stage, he was no better against Sligo than against Cork. He could't field, couldn't out run his forward, and more often than not pushed the forward in the back giving away easy frees.

The Cork forward yesterday who is 36, ran past cafferkey got the ball and then went right around him and popped it over the bar, he may as well not of been there.

I would disagree and say its not too late to change, whoever replaces him can't do any worse. You can be sure that high ball will be pumped in there all day long for Donaghy if we manage to get past Roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Would agree something needs to change, but I thought Coen, after a good showing against Clare, was poor when brought on against Cork. Gave the ball away an awful lot.

Barrett has not got the requisite height to command the position in my opinion.Coen for me although what about Caolan Crowe?

I might be reading things all wrong but for me the body language between Rochford and Cafferkey was totally off when he was finally called ashore.The manager appeared none too pleased,anybody else notice this or am I always reading too much into same.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

Barrett has not got the requisite height to command the position in my opinion.Coen for me although what about Caolan Crowe?

I might be reading things all wrong but for me the body language between Rochford and Cafferkey was totally off when he was finally called ashore.The manager appeared none too pleased,anybody else notice this or am I always reading too much into same.:)

If he was none too pleased why didn't he take him off much sooner?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Padkir wrote: »
    Would agree something needs to change, but I thought Coen, after a good showing against Clare, was poor when brought on against Cork. Gave the ball away an awful lot.

Yep, he had a mare on Saturday. But he is a young big lad who should be able to jump higher than Caff.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement