Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,140 ✭✭✭✭km79

PARlance wrote: »
    You could be forgiven for forgetting that they were defending champions in 2011.

Absolutely
    They are a shambles now
    A good start for once would make it easier though !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Clare and Derry put it up to Mayo for long stretches. Cork would probably be of similar quality to both these teams. So I can see them putting it up to us. We've been very inconsistent this year, so we could be great or we could have another stinker. I wouldn't write off Cork just yet. With some of the weaknesses we have in defence under the high ball and in attack, we could be caught out.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Clare and Derry put it up to Mayo for long stretches. Cork would probably be of similar quality to both these teams. So I can see them putting it up to us. We've been very inconsistent this year, so we could be great or we could have another stinker. I wouldn't write off Cork just yet. With some of the weaknesses we have in defence under the high ball and in attack, we could be caught out.

If Clare or Derry had scored a couple of the goal chances which Clarke saved, which seems to be a pattern, then we could have been in a hell of a lot more bother in both them games! We seem to show up for the first 5 minutes in the 1st half, kick 3-6 silly wides then let the opposition run at us.
    We come out 2nd half and finally crack it up.

That has happened against how many teams this year, the difference was that Dublin blew us apart and we had no response.

We are weak from 1/2 back to full back, no pace cutting across closing space.

We were gifted one goal against Clare. The other was well taken.
    The goals were the difference between the sides at the end, although Clare (like Derry) ran out of steam.
    We bludgeoned Derry with our superior fitness but little else. Footballing wise we weren't much better.
    Clare and Derry I would rate as mid table division 2 sides. Cork likewise.
    We struggle to score and now worryingly we struggle to defend. Clare found acres of space up the middle and only for Vaughans black card, could have conceded a goal there.
    On paper you'd say Mayo should win easily, but I think its going to be a similar game to the Clare and Derry ones. Footballing wise we haven't been great this year and only fitness and strength have carried us through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

What's this I hear about Limerick?

image.jpg

Should have left him off at the ref, being a meath man he would have flattened the fat kanuc :D (with one punch too)
    p.s. how is he allowed into grounds surely he should have been banned for life, as for wearing a Chelsea top, says enough in itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Podcast with Aos on Off the Ball this evening

http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Off_The_Ball/

Article on independent.ie about aos on Newstalk Off the Ball this evening.
    Mayo star Aidan O'Shea responds to Bernard Flynn's controversial 'selfie' criticism

Mayo juggernaut Aidan O'Shea has admitted that he quit social media for a time after being criticised for taking selfies with young fans while his teammates warmed down after a challenge game earlier this year.

Two-time All-Ireland winner with Meath Bernard Flynn suggested that O'Shea was more interested in “photographs and selfies” than the team.

Current Mayo boss Stephen Rochford and former manager James Horan were among those who defended O'Shea from the claims but speaking on Off The Ball on Newstalk this evening, O'Shea finally had his say on the issue.

"It is impossible to try and switch off totally. To be honest with you, a lot of the boys just pulled the p**s out of it to be honest," he said.

"I did my best to switch off from it and to be honest, I stayed off social media for a long period of time.

"It got to a stage where I didn't know what games were on the television from a sport point of view but usually I'm well clued into things but I completely zoned out.

"My injury took up a lot of my time and that was totally my focus. You can't control things like that, there is no point trying to lose too much sleep over it or try to fight it. It is what it is."

He continued: "The press is the press and the media have a job to do. I can't control a headline or anything like that.

"I just know from being a player with Mayo and when I was a kid and a supporter, when I became a county footballer, I mad the conscious decision to be obedient to kids. I think it's an important part of what the GAA is about, I think it's an important part of what we're all about in the community.

"Sometimes that gets lost. For me, first of all I'm a Breaffy footballer and Mayo footballer second of all and whether it's a club game in the top end of Mayo, or an inter-county game or some kid walking up the street and they are looking for a picture, I'll do what I asked when I was 10 or 11 years of age and I'll be obliging when I can and I'll always to that.

"From that point of view it's disappointing. GAA players, not just me, the give very freely of their time and do a lot to promote the game."

O'Shea has struggled with injury this year but has been very influential in the qualifier victories over Derry and Clare after Mayo exited the Connacht championship to rivals Galway.

He will be a central figure for Mayo when they play Cork at the Gaelic Grounds on July 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Is Paddy Durcan back for the Cork game or did he get a one month ban for a straight red card for a strike?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

seligehgit wrote: »
    Is Paddy Durcan back for the Cork game or did he get a one month ban for a straight red card for a strike?:confused:

He's back. Ciaran Whelan said at the time that it was a one month ban but that's fake news. It's a one game ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Great interview with Aidan.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Very gracious response to the hullabaloo by O'Shea.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

keane2097 wrote: »
    Very gracious response to the hullabaloo by O'Shea.

Don't expect anything else. If anyone actually met the lad they'd ignore the BS pushed out by the media. Paper doesn't refuse ink and all that, so easy for people to form opinions, most of them wrong, based on that.

The abuse he takes on the pitch and never reacts and the rubbish from the media and wanna be pundits would nearly push a lot of lads out of the game, but fair play to him he has stuck it out and has put in 2 great performances so far this year. But I'm sure Bernadine Flynn and his other wannabes will be waiting in the wings for him to falter.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

He's a CLASS ACT!
    Media abuse, selfies, photo shoots... try it sometime!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭flasher0030

yop wrote: »
    Don't expect anything else. If anyone actually met the lad they'd ignore the BS pushed out by the media. Paper doesn't refuse ink and all that, so easy for people to form opinions, most of them wrong, based on that.

The abuse he takes on the pitch and never reacts and the rubbish from the media and wanna be pundits would nearly push a lot of lads out of the game, but fair play to him he has stuck it out and has put in 2 great performances so far this year. But I'm sure Bernadine Flynn and his other wannabes will be waiting in the wings for him to falter.

I’ve never met him, but he seems a genuine good guy. He must have some level of patience. I don’t know how he doesn’t react to the holding and wrestling that is stowed upon him. I can’t understand why there is no onus for umpires to step up to the mark, and show some kind of pro-active nature in games. They only have a couple of things to think about in a match – wide or not, goal or point, 45 or not, square ball or not. There’s not much else for them to do. Off all of the officials, between the 4 umpires, they have the most time to view what is happening in games. They can see the illegal “tactics” used to quieten the O’SHea’s , Donaghys, Connolly’s of the game. When an umpire is about 5 yards away from Philly McMAhon having a hold of AOS’s jersey, waiting for a high ball to come in, he surely has some responsibility to make the defender aware that he sees what is going on, and if it happens again, he will bring to ref’s attention for a booking. But they just stand there like statues, bellys sticking out through the white coats. They may as well be white strait-jackets they’re wearing.

I’ve never met him, but he seems a genuine good guy. He must have some level of patience. I don’t know how he doesn’t react to the holding and wrestling that is stowed upon him. I can’t understand why there is no onus for umpires to step up to the mark, and show some kind of pro-active nature in games. They only have a couple of things to think about in a match – wide or not, goal or point, 45 or not, square ball or not. There’s not much else for them to do. Off all of the officials, between the 4 umpires, they have the most time to view what is happening in games. They can see the illegal “tactics” used to quieten the O’SHea’s , Donaghys, Connolly’s of the game. When an umpire is about 5 yards away from Philly McMAhon having a hold of AOS’s jersey, waiting for a high ball to come in, he surely has some responsibility to make the defender aware that he sees what is going on, and if it happens again, he will bring to ref’s attention for a booking. But they just stand there like statues, bellys sticking out through the white coats. They may as well be white strait-jackets they’re wearing.

Agree on that, lads call out AOS, COC, Donaghy, Connolly as been scum and filthy, but if the same keyboard boys put up with the level of abuse they get during a game then they'd pipe a different tune.

AOS must have serious self control not to react.

I would say AOS is the most fouled player in Ireland on the field yet doesn't get frees for a quarter of the fouls.

I think everyone including players and officials take the view "the big man can take it". It shouldn't be that way. Big strong players should be given the same level of protection as the likes of JOD or Gooch. Unfortunately you blow on some of the smaller players and they win a free. Someone tries to take AOS's head off and no-one even notices.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

There are 2 linesmen there too that could be allowed off the line and onto the pitch to help monitor the game. I would be looking to them before the umpires as they're "trained" to do so.

The off the ball stuff has been a big problem for so long that I don't think it's crazy to suggest that the GAA are happy to let it continue... They get great exposure and unreal hype is created about incidents these days. They get front and back pages of coverage the way it is at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Mayo Club 51

DEhqwfmWAAAZVgg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭maximus15

I've admittedly been one of AOS biggest critics in the last 2 seasons mainly down to been frustrated how he was taken out of his best position of midfield ,but I have to give him massive credit in the last 2 games for firstly his performances and secondly his discipline.

Nearly every occasion he gets on the or looks for the ball , he is either held back by jersey or opponents full body weight on his back and still continues his run until picks out team mate or in the rare event , he hears a whistle giving him a free! . It is no wonder he looks out on his feet near end of game , nothing more energy draining trying to run with hits coming in and been held back when trying to reach full tilt in sprints .

I'm just hoping that maybe the rest of team learn from his reluctance to hit out when frustrated in same way or provoked. Higgins while no concrete proof had to be verbally provoked to lash out at comer, durkan had numerous runs blocked or stopped before he threw a punch, and Harrison was in headlock before he launched into a spear tackle.

In the 3 instances there is no doubting most of us would feel like lashing out in a hotly charged atmosphere like that on a football pitch when playing for your county but in the long run its only the fans and teammates they are letting down with such actions.

I know the big teams and games are still ahead of us and the stakes only get higher along with the pressure but hopefully that's the end of the ill discipline that has blighted the last 3 games. The best way to respond to any provocation by opponents is put in a motm performance and let them sit at home for rest of the summer ,watching mayo progress.

Brendan kealy had left Kerry squad.........very strange timing .......maybe the time to get them is the quarters .......or maybe Donegal will do the job for us cos I wouldn't think Galway would be equipped to do so

The only time is to get them in the quarters but it doesn't really matter when we got them this year. They'd hammer us out the gate.

We have to get past Cork yet and that's not a foregone conclusion based on our form this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Kalyke

All this talk about Quarter Finals? How we not learnt from ours and others past? One game at a time. I for one would not take Cork as an absolute given. I hope Rochford and company feel the same!

Kalyke wrote: »
    All this talk about Quarter Finals? How we not learnt from ours and others past? One game at a time. I for one would not take Cork as an absolute given. I hope Rochford and company feel the same!

We are going to beat Cork
    I don't believe anyone with the poor mouthing . We are still one of the top 2/3 teams in the country
    Cork are a shambles
    Their first half against Tipp was an absolute disgrace from a county with a good football pedigree

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jasonroche123

Yes Cork are a shambles, I think we could do a job on them, I honestly believe that despite our current form it is still 5/6 points minimum better than them, Tipp should've beaten them comfortably and Cork generally don't do well in the back door

I am speaking from bitter experience!

I am speaking from bitter experience!

There are games where teams can be caught
    Derry was one , Clare to a lesser extent
    This is not one of them
    Cork have shown nothing over the last few years to suggest it and they have gotten worse not better
    Clare are better than cork and had a bit momentum and we dealt with them

Last year we were 5 to 1 on to beat Galway. And we all knew what happened there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

km79 wrote:
    There are games where teams can be caught Derry was one , Clare to a lesser extent This is not one of them Cork have shown nothing over the last few years to suggest it and they have gotten worse not better Clare are better than cork and had a bit momentum and we dealt with them

Anyone who calls any game a certainty is very naive

Anyone who calls any game a certainty is very naive

I'm not calling it a certainty
    Who knows we could score 2 own goals and get a man sent off ;)

I'm saying i don't agree with all poor mouthing of our chances
    It's a game we should and will win

Being cautious is not poor mouthing. Far from it.

• Advertisement

Being cautious is not poor mouthing. Far from it.

It's probably more on the blog to be fair
    Was the same last year before the likes of Westmeath
    We were always going to beat them
    It wasn't a dangerous game

Anyway let's see how it goes
    I'll be amazed if we don't win

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement