Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

And the winner of dreamer of the year is... Part 2!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I can see these prices having no choice but to drop, there is serious financial issues ahead with loss of jobs and everyone will find from now on renting is getting closer to a life long only option.

It's mad to see what likes of cosworths were selling for in the middle of the recession and prices now absolutely bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

JC01 wrote: »
    The price of 90s jap performance cars has gone ballistic in the last year. That cars probably worth 10-14 depending on condition.

And the ads gone.

It's extremely worrying... Will I ever have some sort of vtec mid 90s in the shed for weekends ever again? Seems like anything decent is going for mad money... And quickly.

Also don't forget, those cushy covid payments are coming to an end very soon, massive unemployment, emigration etc. Same as 2008ish when you couldn't give away some of these cars. Buying now is retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

It's extremely worrying... Will I ever have some sort of vtec mid 90s in the shed for weekends ever again? Seems like anything decent is going for mad money... And quickly.

Also don't forget, those cushy covid payments are coming to an end very soon, massive unemployment, emigration etc. Same as 2008ish when you couldn't give away some of these cars. Buying now is retarded.

Honestly I think people over exaggerate the impact Covid has had on prices, for me it’s a simple supply issue. There simply aren’t many of these cars left in the country and the majority of the ones left are owned by older real enthusiasts who aren’t changing car every 6 months. Go on DoneDeal/ Facebook etc and look for examples for sale, between S/R bodies, Evos, Stis, Type Rs, 1/2jz road cars you won’t find 10 for sale.

Go back 5 years and there was 10 of each of the above for sale at any given time.

Also importing is as expensive as paying the Irish “crazy” prices since the price has massively increased in the US and Aus markets. I know of a few high spec jap cars to head to mainland Europe over the last few years too. I think there is actual value in the cars nowadays rather than an inflated market.

Once the market pushed more of these cars cross the threshold into collectible investment pieces they’ll go the way of the GTRs and forget about it then.

Honestly I think people over exaggerate the impact Covid has had on prices, for me it’s a simple supply issue. There simply aren’t many of these cars left in the country and the majority of the ones left are owned by older real enthusiasts who aren’t changing car every 6 months. Go on DoneDeal/ Facebook etc and look for examples for sale, between S/R bodies, Evos, Stis, Type Rs, 1/2jz road cars you won’t find 10 for sale.

Go back 5 years and there was 10 of each of the above for sale at any given time.

Also importing is as expensive as paying the Irish “crazy” prices since the price has massively increased in the US and Aus markets. I know of a few high spec jap cars to head to mainland Europe over the last few years too. I think there is actual value in the cars nowadays rather than an inflated market.

Once the market pushed more of these cars cross the threshold into collectible investment pieces they’ll go the way of the GTRs and forget about it then.

Believe me it's not exaggerated. It's gone bananas since January. Take for example last year when people were asking were those old 1 litre box shape starlets really worth 2k? Well now they're double that. A rolling shell is now 2k. Glanzas were still 5-6k, now they're pushing 10. Anything pre 2002 honda even boggo sohc civics are insane money unless they've just been pulled from a ditch, ie the new "stored since 2xxx". Even the undesirable stuff like the horrid late 90s prelude is 8/9k, a car that was always worthless but it's jap and "find another one"...

They're just cars that were ten a penny a few years ago, nothing special. Not GTRs.

Don't get me started on BMWs... An e46 coupe with the 4 cylinder 318i was never ever a 4k cars, not last year, not the year before and not for maybe 7 or 8 years. They were cheap and undesirable. Now this year 4k for a good one and they're flying off donedeal. The 320i (2.2) you'd now swear was a rocketship the prices they go for.

I keep track of a lot of this kinda stuff and I know well it's all gone nuts this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I've no problem with people asking strong money for Evos,Chasers,Sti etc but it's the rough sh!t heaps like 90s Toyotas with people asking crazy money for them, there's people asking 4 or 5k for standard carinas,corollas,starlets etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Lots of spare cash these days, to think what I've sold for chips in the past!

TheW1zard wrote: »
    Lots of spare cash these days, to think what I've sold for chips in the past!

I don't understand where all this spare cash is coming from with half the country on covid pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It’s kind of a symptom of cars that are in that middle age between respectable and classic.
    Cars in that category are criminally undervalued until they become rare.

I don't understand where all this spare cash is coming from with half the country on covid pay.

The other half

TheW1zard wrote: »
    The other half

What's the difference between 2008 and now. In 2008 everything dropped in price. Now everything's gone up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Once the market pushed more of these cars cross the threshold into collectible investment pieces they’ll go the way of the GTRs and forget about it then .

:D

Everything in Japan has gone insane, I spent this evening looking for a good V300 Aristo for a mate. Sub 60k km, auto in black with zero rust are costing the guts of 22k on the road registered here and that's just insane. I found a PS13 for a friend a few weeks ago, completely original and rust free... Its costing 18k LANDED...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

:D

Everything in Japan has gone insane, I spent this evening looking for a good V300 Aristo for a mate. Sub 60k km, auto in black with zero rust are costing the guts of 22k on the road registered here and that's just insane. I found a PS13 for a friend a few weeks ago, completely original and rust free... Its costing 18k LANDED...

Problem is not just prices going up though, shipping costs from Asia have more than doubled. 40ft containers that were $4-$5k pre March 2020 are closer to $12k right now.

rizzodun wrote: »
    Problem is not just prices going up though, shipping costs from Asia have more than doubled. 40ft containers that were $4-$5k pre March 2020 are closer to $12k right now.

Most car Imports are RORO, not containers. My shipping on the 28th of December gone for the GTR was roughly €1200

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

Believe me it's not exaggerated. It's gone bananas since January. Take for example last year when people were asking were those old 1 litre box shape starlets really worth 2k? Well now they're double that. A rolling shell is now 2k. Glanzas were still 5-6k, now they're pushing 10. Anything pre 2002 honda even boggo sohc civics are insane money unless they've just been pulled from a ditch, ie the new "stored since 2xxx". Even the undesirable stuff like the horrid late 90s prelude is 8/9k, a car that was always worthless but it's jap and "find another one"...

They're just cars that were ten a penny a few years ago, nothing special. Not GTRs.

Don't get me started on BMWs... An e46 coupe with the 4 cylinder 318i was never ever a 4k cars, not last year, not the year before and not for maybe 7 or 8 years. They were cheap and undesirable. Now this year 4k for a good one and they're flying off donedeal. The 320i (2.2) you'd now swear was a rocketship the prices they go for.

I keep track of a lot of this kinda stuff and I know well it's all gone nuts this year.

I think your talking about two different types of market there. I’m talking about the prices and market for the desirable models, what I’m talking about doesn’t really apply to the is200s and beemers that have doubled in price, since no collectors in the states are buying up 325Is hopeing they become the next 6 figure car.

With that said I do thing supply is playing a part with those cars too. What other cheap rwd cars can be welded solid and out doing rings on a local crossroad an hour after being bought? Lot of lads looking for that very thing as they always were except now there are far fewer cars to fill the demand.

I remember when Is200s in particular were the butt of a lot of jokes from car heads and now somehow they seem to of become pretty desirable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Go on DoneDeal/ Facebook etc and look for examples for sale, between S/R bodies, Evos, Stis, Type Rs, 1/2jz road cars you won’t find 10 for sale.

That's a huge part of it alright. That's generally the trajectory for desirable cars and not so desirable models can be dragged along with them as supply dries up. Pretty much happens in every collectable arena. New-depreciation-second hand market-popularity goes up-prices keep dropping and bottom out-not so popular, so cars get scrapped or wrecked-a few years pass and few are left-models get noticed and become collectable-prices for original unmolested examples rocket.

Like you note the US market has had a big impact on this, especially with Japanese iron. Americans being able to import a car that's over 25 years old has meant the mid 90's JDM stuff is now open to them and the Fast and the Furious and video game cars of 20+ years ago are there for the taking, only there's not so many good ones left. The popular cars that are now importable to the US have rapidly climbed in price and there are companies in the US/Japan that are already buying cars under the 25 years rule and storing and stockpiling them to sell when they become importable, so prices are rising there too. That's affected the Japanese market stuff in a big way. Then you have Japanese buyers themselves that are looking to their own motoring heritage. All these buyers tend to be middle aged men in their 40's, a demographic that also tends to have a few quid in disposable income.

US based sites like Bring A Trailer have also driven prices high. Much larger buyer base than traditional outlets and all you need is two guys in a bidding war and prices go nuts and you end up with a truly surreal article like this: The 50000 Dollar question, Acura Integra Type R or Alfa Romeo 4c. An article that if it were written by a non American would have you thinking the author's been at the high powered blotter acid. Youtube has also had an effect as there is much more info on older cars out there and trends start to kick off. Same with instagram.
    What's the difference between 2008 and now. In 2008 everything dropped in price. Now everything's gone up.
    A big difference between 08 and now is in 08 the downturn and downturn in confidence hit pretty much everybody at the same time. This pandemic has hit much more unequally. On the one hand you have those whose jobs and income have been put on hold, or drastically reduced and are on covid relief payments, on the other you have people whose jobs and income haven't been affected much if at all(at least so far), with some even having more money because they made money out of it, or in jobs that are very stable. Plus no holidays and other avenues of spending have been curtailed. One group are counting pennies, the other are free to spend. 2008 was a more "equal" downturn. How this pans out is anyone's guess as we're still in the middle of it, it could become a more general downturn and likely will.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Lots of wealthy people went broke in 08 and property owning class got hammered.

A huge proportion of economy are now better off; land, housing, machinery prices have all increased.

Building prices are after going from a high point to insane one.

Money can't be put anywhere on deposit that it won't depreciate so people are buying things

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Most car Imports are RORO, not containers. My shipping on the 28th of December gone for the GTR was roughly €1200

What about parts?
    Say, an exhaust from Yahoo Auctions?

CianRyan wrote: »
    What about parts?
    Say, an exhaust from Yahoo Auctions?

They'd be boxed and put onto the same boats, but below deck. Only import companies use containers once they can fill them. Your average buyer on YAJ like me will use a third party like Jesse Streeter or Saiko Japan to either SeaMail or Air Freight something like that. Personally I DHL my stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I normally use DHL except for the big stuff like seats,bumpers and that

In the back of my head I knew Jessie Streeter did this, just never copped it.
    Cool, I'm looking at intakes, exhausts and suspension/bracing right now. Kinda leaning on getting some pipe welded in Ireland but could definitely import the rest.

Anyway, way off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

I have to assume this is a pisstake?

€20k for a 2005 Mini Cooper S (with a JCW badge)

Oh, and it's left hand drive.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mini-works-cooper/27960812

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

And again with the crap pics of a car not even cleaned up and feck all info, and a daft price. I dunno what these sellers are smoking - and I've smoked some good stuff - but if it gives that much of a reality distortion field I'll have some thanks. No doubt after a few puffs I'd see Sean Connery at his peak looking back at me from my bathroom mirror.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭HBC08

I can see these prices having no choice but to drop, there is serious financial issues ahead with loss of jobs and everyone will find from now on renting is getting closer to a life long only option.

It's mad to see what likes of cosworths were selling for in the middle of the recession and prices now absolutely bonkers.

Most people i know have more cash and are looking spend.
    The price of everything is going up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

I have to assume this is a pisstake?

€20k for a 2005 Mini Cooper S (with a JCW badge)

Oh, and it's left hand drive.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mini-works-cooper/27960812
    Surely a mistake rather than a pi$$take? It has to be €1950 .... doesn't it?! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Nice miata

MX5 probably isn't too mental, in that condition he's probably only high enough to scare off time wasters.

Exactly. Very low mileage for the age. Original Irish car. Comes with factory hardtop. No Fast and Furious "upgrades". Low number of owners for the age. Good colour, very well presented and looks in very good condition(though I'd go full Sherlock Holmes looking for rust), has a full NCT, it's being sold through a dealer so a premium gets added there and MX-5's are an "iconic" car and have a massive fanbase. I wouldn't see that as mental money at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Wibbs wrote: »
    Exactly. Very low mileage for the age. Original Irish car. Comes with factory hardtop. No Fast and Furious "upgrades". Low number of owners for the age. Good colour, very well presented and looks in very good condition(though I'd go full Sherlock Holmes looking for rust), has a full NCT, it's being sold through a dealer so a premium gets added there and MX-5's are an "iconic" car and have a massive fanbase. I wouldn't see that as mental money at all.

Whatever about the radio but that parrot would have to go, without doubt the worst yoke ever made you can't even stream music with them and it looks dreadful where it's plonked. I wonder how much rot is hiding under that shiny paint?

• Advertisement

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I wonder how much rot is hiding under that shiny paint?
    That would be my biggest concern around any 90's Japanese car, especially an MX-5. They made 80's Lancias look galvanised. The MX-5 can hide the nasties too. They can look pristine on the outside, but be rotten in the middle. MR2's are another like that. 90's Hondas the same, where a centimetre sized patch of bubbling in the rear sill area nearly always means the inner wheelarches and inner wing sections are red rotten, requiring many thousands of beer tokens in repair bills.

Advertisement