Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade 1Ups replica cabs thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Smyths will have it in stock in August for €399.99
    Actually in stock now in a good few stores

Three games in one it's up to preorder now in the Dublin area

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-and-tablets/retro-gaming/arcade1up-street-fighter-ii-cabinet-including-riser/p/174309

Thank you.

Any opinions on value for money/whether they can be modified?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

everlast75 wrote: »
    Thank you.

Any opinions on value for money/whether they can be modified?

There's a whole bunch of information online with the directions for converting one of those into a multi arcade machine.
    There's a little work and a little learning on your part but the results are pretty good.
    Basically, you'll need a Raspberry Pi, lcd interface kit and a zero lag encoder.
    Search for arcade 1up conversion and see what you find.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    There's a whole bunch of information online with the directions for converting one of those into a multi arcade machine.
    There's a little work and a little learning on your part but the results are pretty good.
    Basically, you'll need a Raspberry Pi, lcd interface kit and a zero lag encoder.
    Search for arcade 1up conversion and see what you find.

Again, thank you.

I didn't know if the product itself was good enough quality for the price. The cabinet looked pretty good.

I'm a huge mortal kombat fan too, so would be keen to get that up and running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I bought the following when doing mine

LCD Kit
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Controller-HSD190MEN4-M170EN06-1280x1024-30Pins/dp/B06X9NJ2NR/ref=pd_sbs_147_1/260-1841685-7867502?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B06X9NJ2NR&pd_rd_r=1282245d-f139-4583-a0dc-d381a1c380e6&pd_rd_w=YEOXY&pd_rd_wg=AuxY3&pf_rd_p=2773aa8e-42c5-4dbe-bda8-5cdf226aa078&pf_rd_r=Y32TGKYTBSGBNXXX0VQE&psc=1&refRID=Y32TGKYTBSGBNXXX0VQE

Raspberry Pi 4 starter kit (I used a 3b kit but check if the image you get is compatible with 4)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/LABISTS-Raspberry-Starter-Motherboard-Preloaded/dp/B07WKKS471/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2KD0PUU4GPPPW&dchild=1&keywords=raspberry+pi+4&qid=1593075037&s=computers&sprefix=raspberry%2Ccomputers%2C136&sr=1-4

Arcade buttons and joysticks with USB encoders
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/EG-Starts-Encoder-Joystick-Raspberry/dp/B07P5BPHBL/ref=pd_sbs_21_6/260-1841685-7867502?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07P5BPHBL&pd_rd_r=65c97ce6-0576-41bb-9013-1ecf436116ba&pd_rd_w=z00FR&pd_rd_wg=KGKKl&pf_rd_p=2773aa8e-42c5-4dbe-bda8-5cdf226aa078&pf_rd_r=QMGN0RHWW3BJGMQ5DDE9&psc=1&refRID=QMGN0RHWW3BJGMQ5DDE9

Step Bit (I used this for drilling into the control deck but some people put them into the front panel which may be easier, I then had to drill the deck protector when that arrived after)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073QSPND1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amp
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amplifier-Mochatopia-Digital-Powerful-Streaming-Mini-Audio/dp/B07GQZMWVD/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=amp&qid=1593076981&s=electronics&sr=1-5

Picture hanging strips to hold the parts in the back
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Command-17203-Picture-Hanging-medium-white/dp/B000OF6X48/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia-wc-p13n1_0?crid=11VHYDCPDCST0&cv_ct_cx=command+picture+hanging+strips&dchild=1&keywords=command+picture+hanging+strips&pd_rd_i=B000OF6X48&pd_rd_r=eba8d7ac-97a1-4d45-a002-70fe3586b48e&pd_rd_w=c5S5i&pd_rd_wg=ExR8Z&pf_rd_p=e3a968a9-db34-4cb6-962f-ddcde7323cf7&pf_rd_r=W5X6EACCTYFF43ZGJ4A0&psc=1&qid=1593098066&sprefix=command+picture+%2Caps%2C143&sr=1-1-91e9aa57-911e-4628-99b3-09163b7d9294

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Double check the code on the back of the monitor to make sure the LCD kit is the right one.
    I must do that myself, actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,253 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'd say you'll see the likes of these bigger ones on adverts far quicker given their size and people getting bored with them.

Bit harder to shove that in a corner and pile washing on top :eek:

That's a big chunk of change for one of those.
    I think I'd prefer to save my pennies and get a standard upright version on a riser.
    Nevertheless, you get Star Wars and Empire for your money, the less said about Jedi the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Inviere

That's a big chunk of change for one of those.

It really is.

• Advertisement

any idea where to get a riser or the stools as they are out of stock everywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

I heard the 2nd revisions of the 1st gen cabs released late last year came with much better joysticks and buttons, not Sanwa/Happ quality but decent enough that some people don't bother replacing them. I got the SF2 cab on an Amazon warehouse deal for 250 euro, I thought buying it this late would mean id get the 2nd revision but nope, 1st revision but came with a deck protector and spare art.

The sticks are horrendous so gonna have to replace them, Ive heard you can keep the stock mounting plates for the sticks so you don't have to rill new holes, has anyone done this ?.

I just swapped in the new joysticks but I had to soften the glue on the old ones with a lighter to get them unscrewed

I finally was able to get a riser (Amazon now stock them) and it arrived today, so just waiting on Smyths to get the stools in next month

I have all the bits but have yet to convert my 1Up SF2 cab into a RPi machine...
    Need someone to come over and do it for me!

Master of the Universe

I have all the bits but have yet to convert my 1Up SF2 cab into a RPi machine...
    Need someone to come over and do it for me!

Could you maybe sell it to someone on adverts as parts, they could build it and then you could buy it back? :D

o1s1n wrote: »
    Could you maybe sell it to someone on adverts as parts, they could build it and then you could buy it back? :D

You should't joke...

I wonder what Kerbdog is doing with his evenings...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

You should't joke...

I wonder what Kerbdog is doing with his evenings...
    Someone wants to buy a Rampage 1up?

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Bit of a ramble...

I am hoping to get a proper cab eventually but as I am only renting a room for now space is limited. To give myself a little project for the covid winter, and satisfy that arcade fix, I am thinking of buying an Arcade1up with the intention of gutting/upgrading it.

I'd like to switch the control panel to a single player, candy style six button layout with Sanwa buttons and put a retropi or pandora's box in there.

Would love to hear thoughts from people who have done similar. Thing is, I have never done anything at all with electronics and I am wondering if it's waste of money/time to go about upgrading a 1up and if there are better alternatives out there (any good flat pack style arcade cabinets around the size of a 1up?).

most people on here have bought the SFII cab as they have the six button layout and then convert
    there are loads of videos on how to convert the cab (have a look through this thread) but make sure the parts you buy are compatible with the newer models
    maybe look into getting a bartop arcade machine if space is an issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭Gun Monkey

Has anyone managed to find a golden tee cab in ireland or an affordable way to import one? Tnx in advance for any replies!

• Advertisement

Hey folks,
    I am now the proud owner of an MK Arcade 1up cabin.
    I would like to upgrade the buttons, joystick, sound and graphics.
    I'd also like to install the Raspberry Pi.
    This particular model has a power on/off switch and volume switch too at the top of the buttons.
    I've seen a few youtube videos on how about to go about it, but some of them are OTT in terms of lighting and so forth.
    Can someone please point me in the direction of a recommended youtube video "how to" please?
    Thank you

the one I used was this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09DQCOr6zQM&t=1240s

parts may have changed so make sure you get the right adapters for your screen
    I just use a smart plug for turning it on and off with Alexa
    amazon now sell the riser if it didn't come with one and I had to order the deck protecter for free from them as the paint wears away easily, Smiths also now sell the stools

Skerries wrote: »
    the one I used was this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09DQCOr6zQM&t=1240s

parts may have changed so make sure you get the right adapters for your screen
    I just use a smart plug for turning it on and off with Alexa
    amazon now sell the riser if it didn't come with one and I had to order the deck protecter for free from them as the paint wears away easily, Smiths also now sell the stools

Thank you!

I've never undertaken a project like this.
    How proficient are you with d.i.y.? Did you find it difficult?
    Did you order all the parts as he set out in the video?

Thanks again

I'm not normally a DIY kind of guy so this was unusual for me to do
    it was a bit difficult taking the old buttons off as they were glued to the board so had to soften it with a lighter and figuring out the encoder layout was tricky
    follow the video as it is all there but check what monitor you have and order the right converter kit
    I put the extra buttons on the deck but I see other people put them on the front which would be easier as you would also have to drill the deck protector

Skerries wrote: »
    I'm not normally a DIY kind of guy so this was unusual for me to do
    it was a bit difficult taking the old buttons off as they were glued to the board so had to soften it with a lighter and figuring out the encoder layout was tricky
    follow the video as it is all there but check what monitor you have and order the right converter kit
    I put the extra buttons on the deck but I see other people put them on the front which would be easier as you would also have to drill the deck protector

Great.

Thank you very much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭Doge

• Registered Users Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Did I miss Star Wars or Marvel Vs Capcom or did we just not get them? :(

I just want their table top pong game, but they aren't selling it outside of the US/Canada yet :(

I just want their table top pong game, but they aren't selling it outside of the US/Canada yet :(

Just dont put your drinks on it or it will melt.

I'd say its made of beermat :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Are these cabs still a "value" option? Or is there anything offering better bang for buck?

A mate is looking at one for himself as an x-mas pressie and these days all my retro gaming is done either on Retrox or in Level-up so I've no clue on the current state of play other than telling him even with a 1up cab that he will need to mod it to get more games and that pi is best for that.

Any steer appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭dav09

They're nice for a certain type of person for sure, I think there's some easy methods now for non tech-savy people too to be able to mod these I'm pretty sure as it was pretty difficult at one point I believe for some. They're okay value really, nice art and the newer cab designs are pretty neat. I just find them personally quite small (I need a stool to play on one even with a riser). Most of the really cool ones cost a fortune then as they have to be imported from the states (like the Star Wars one). I see why some people prefer the 1Ups, especially for the ones with unique controls like Star Wars, Tron and I'd actually nearly buy that Atari Tempest one myself for home as it has cool games and unique controls and not having to maintain the WG6100s for it.

Honestly, if someone has a rough idea of what they're doing, buying a Jamma cab for 250/300 and sticking a Pandoras box or upgrading to a Pi would probably be cheaper if you found one at the right price. But may come with a trade-off maintenance-wise. Size-wise there's a big difference with them and they'll hold their value most likely. I guess it's each to their own though!

I built a nice Raspberry Pi Bar top a while back too for about half the price of a 1up, another good option too.

I've the Tempest one, with an upgraded spinner, and it's pretty good.

Just never play it!

The SF2 one is still sitting there, unmodded, despite all the parts being right there to do so.

And I haven't turned on the AWSD in a long time, the RPi that used to live within cannibalised for another project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Thanks Dav,

He isn't much of a modder and I know that if he wants anything added, it will be me sourcing the parts and doing it for him.

I have no issue with that, but ideally I'd have him giving it a try himself. Now given he even drops his bloody Kodi box to me, still to sort for him every couple of months 😉 I know I'll be on the hook for tech support whatever he buys.

Keep trying to talk him into a nu-gen or nice jap cab with a multi game set up...

But! He's a tight bástard 🤣

No!

But I do think I might make it a dedicated cab, find a Raiden/II board and leave it there, maybe emulate only those, probably get more use from the thing that way.

I only need so many ways to play arcade/console games.

• Advertisement

I'm talking about that myself!

Could just throw a RPi back into it, but limit it to shooters only....

Master of the Universe

Might be nice to just chuck one PCB in there alright, I'd say you'd probably end up using it more.

I found even with an MVS multigame board, I was playing it a hell of a lot less than I did when I was using original carts. Kind of keep the multigame board now for when people come over.

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help me.

I carried out the conversion work on my arcade 1 up and resolved all issues, bar the sound.

The amp listed in the youtube tutorial was no longer available, and so I bought this.

All I am getting is a hissing noise. Has anyone encountered this? if so, what was the solution?

Thank you

• Advertisement

Hi there, what type of output is coming from you device, is it a jack out? Maybe first check the output with headphone if it is a jack (if it's a Pi something similar you've to change the audio from HDMI out to Jack Out), if you've that ruled out mess around with the device and see if you can get and signal into it, the fact that the speakers are hissing must mean it's up loud and is probably getting power to the speakers, check it's set to the correct input too on the sound device.

Fantastic suggestion, thank you.

Unfortunately, I plugged a headphones jack into the pi and nothing, and into the VGA board and nothing.

Here are pictures of the pi with hdmi cable, the board with Jack out and the sound amplifier with Jack and two yellow cables from the speaker.

Ah, you probably need to go into the RPi and its config file and tell it to output audio from the 3.5mm jack.

Otherwise it just keeps pumping the sound out of the HDMI only

Yep I was thinking the same, either in emulation setting go to menu and setup or if it's console based "cd .." a couple of times until you're in root and then enter:

sudo /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/retropie_setup.sh

It should be in "audio options" or something there. One thing you could try is plugging your phone's/laptop headphone jack into the audio amp to see if sound is coming out, or plug headphones into the raspberry pi's headphone jack and see if you can hear any audio

Also I'm not sure you're using the right audio jack, hard to tell by the photo.? Depending on your cable/ amp but it looks like it's a 3.5mm jack to jack you have which is plugged into an RCA input on an audio amp, I can't be certain from the image. But if it is you need a 3.5mm jack to RCA connector, any audio should show have them

Legends, both of ye!

I'll try those suggestions and come back to ye 🙂

Btw - do you have to reconfigure the buttons every time you play?

No problem, and no they should stay the same, if you're not using Emulation Station you may need to force a reboot for it to save some settings in an emulator, just press escape and type "reboot" and hit enter and it should have them saved when you reopen again (if my memory serves me correct)

Okay, I tested the headphones in the pi and it worked on start up (rather cool Marvel music). No sound in game at all?

It depends what emulator you're using, if its something like Mame4ALL or similar emulators you might need to turn up the volume, the tab button (or a button above or below it, I can't remember exactly) will let you. If it's emulator station it should have it in the settings, sometimes too if it's an old rom or corrupted or that implementation of mame may not support sound on that romset so test other roms too.

Ok folks,

Trying to use a bit of that small brain of mine to figure out what's what.

1) on start up, there is sound from the pi via a set of headphones

2) I plugged a jack into the aux in the amp and played music through. I changed the mode on the amp and moved the two yellow wires around until I had sound coming through the speakers

3) I then plugged the headphone jack to jack from the amp to the pi and got my sound on start up. Success!

So, the only problem is that there is no sound in game from the pi, whether through the headphones or the amp.

Any ideas?

(I've still to reformat and also, I found the joystick and buttons recommended on the YouTube build to be not great at all. One of the sticks is not returning to centre 😒)

• Advertisement
Advertisement