Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade 1Ups replica cabs thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

Doge wrote: »
    Full Romset ftw. :P You can always add 10 favourites to the front end.

It would be a pain constantly adding more games imo, especially for me since I lost my little wifi adapter recently!

I've been there with Mamecabs & bartops before...you actually *need* it to have as little as possible on it, to ensure you actually play it. If it's too easy to ad new games, that's what you'll do. It should be the same as swapping out a pcb, ie, requires effort :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Inviere wrote: »
    A Pi walks all over the standard innards. The only thing to be careful of, is being really disciplined with adding games. I'd suggest ad the stock games that come with the cabinet, and no less than 10 more. They can be changed/swapped at will, but having that many games leads to Netflix syndrome.

TBH I'm anxious about pulling it all apart.
    I have a PiZero there, unloved and perfect for the kinds of games I would want, but I have not the wit or the will to convert it over, even though I know it would be better.
    Would a Pi even work with the "spinner" the cab comes with??
    Or would I be investing all over again?

It appears that the Asteroids cab is making the move to live next to the AWSD cab, so it may get more use.
    Can we get the risers here for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭ozmo

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Guy over on the 1Up Facebook group is suggesting that the Asteroids/Tempest cab has Gravitar and Asteroids Deluxe preinstalled on the PCB, just inaccessible from the main menu, accessible via the usb/keyboard hack.
    He is sticking to his story but there is nothing out there to suggest he's right.
    Anyone here know any different?

I did it with the Rampage cabinet - works.

I have several versions of Gauntlet available to me now - the easier First Arcade release
    -I think the version normally available is the harder version 4? The earlier versions people used to be able play all day on just the one coin :)

..And also some other slightly different versions.

All are two player versions though - I think I may have the newer cabinet as I didn't get the other games.

I also did the Audio hardware mod - just two points to solder together so you get both left and right audio - not just one channel - it did improve the sound!
    Points are Sooo tiny though - I recommend you don't do it unless you have a very small - preferably surface mount, soldering iron.

This weekend I will try get round to his other hack - the Serial Port one - to enable the Second hidden menu.
    Haven't done it yet because my TTL converters are all 5v but the board is 3v i think...

472498.jpg

“Roll it back”

Why not just put in a pi and play some lotsa shmups including asteroid deluxe on the cab!

Take sugrus motto as inspiration:
    Hack things better!

I started doing this myself - made up the cables - but the setup of the PI to make it as easy to use was just overwelming the number of things to configure...
    Most basic of which was it was so tricky to get enough stock buttons configurable to select games and insert coins etc.

“Roll it back”

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Full Romset ftw. :P You can always add 10 favourites to the front end.

It would be a pain constantly adding more games imo, especially for me since I lost my little wifi adapter recently!

On the Asteroids cab I would only want what the control panel supports, and no more.
    So that's anything that can play off the spinner and a horizontal monitor.
    When/If the Galaga/Galaxians machine is released here I would love to turn that into a pure vert Shmups cab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Silly me, I incorrectly thought that asteroids had a vertical monitor despite only playing it recently on my own cab and the real thing in Barcadia last year!

Anyway the Arcade1UP asteroids cab is currently in stock in the Cork GameStop Patrick's Street according to the map, for €178.

The last cab to be listed on their site.

https://www.gamestop.ie/Loot/Games/68217/arcade1up-atari-asteroids

ozmo wrote: »
    I started doing this myself - made up the cables - but the setup of the PI to make it as easy to use was just overwelming the number of things to configure...
    Most basic of which was it was so tricky to get enough stock buttons configurable to select games and insert coins etc.

Not sure how it works ok the Pi but I physically had the first button in button 0 on the zero delay encoder, button 2 in 1, button 3 in 2, and so on upto button 6, and then had the start button and coin button in next 2 in that order.

All games work perfectly in MAME in windows that way.

You should hit tab in MAME and set the controls for all games like that. Instead of having to configure them for each game.

Even the likes of street fighter II were mapped correctly using this default for all games.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭FR.Ted Crilly

Apparently, this is now a thing

https://www.gamestop.ie/SearchResult/QuickSearch?platform=&rootGenre=&age=&listSkus=265368%2C+265369%2C+265370%2C+265371%2C+265372&spMailingID=56002470&spUserID=OTEyMDAyODg1ODUS1&spJobID=1342373710&spReportId=MTM0MjM3MzcxMAS2

Four games per two thirds scale cab.

Mortal Combat
    Midway
    Atari Asteroids
    Atari Centipede

The latter Centipede one comes with a trackball and the game list includes the title game plus Millipede, Missile Command and Breakout

Each cab is €399
    Clicked your link it's 178 Euro now ....it's not a full size cabinet but still cool....

Clicked your link it's 178 Euro now ....it's not a full size cabinet but still cool....

No, but they are more house friendly at the scale used, One available to collect in the Liffey St branch.

Check this 3/4 scale Alternative kit to the Arcade1up in the US. it already has Suzo Happ buttons and joysticks but you need to source a monitor yourself:

https://www.recroommasters.com/19-Xtension-Alpha-Cade-for-Raspberry-Pi-and-PC-p/rm-xt-alpha-emulation.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Full rom sets are such a waste, you will never play the vast majority and when presented with such a list of games it will put you off playing anything at all.

Full rom sets are such a waste, you will never play the vast majority and when presented with such a list of games it will put you off playing anything at all.

It depends on how disciplined the person is really. I have found a lot of good games I never knew existed and just added them to my favorites.

I wouldn't say they're a waste, but I agree, less is more when it comes to game availability. I've grabbed a good few full sets because if I want to add a game at some point, it's really convenient having it there ready to go, as opposed to trying to download individual roms these days. More so with MAME, because one version of rom might not work with the version of MAME on the machine etc.
    It depends on how disciplined the person is really. I have found a lot of good games I never knew existed and just added them to my favorites.

Launchbox has a fantastic 'playlists' feature for that kind of thing. Makes discovering games pretty fun

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

I've about 2K roms on my cab once I filtered out the totally irrelevant crap, and using multiple 'displays' in Attact-mode to categorise/filter them into sensible lists like - shooter, platform, fighting, sports, driving, favorites, all games etc.
    Obviously most of the time I'm just browsing thru 'favorites' which is a pretty short list, or just go straight to Galaga. But is nice to be able to select one of the other lists and hit random a few times to see what it chucks up - who knows maybe you'll find a gem worth adding to the favorites list.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,441 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Roms are a godsend when it comes to dropping cash on items too. Sure most of the arcade PCBs I've bought over the years would have been given a test drive in MAME first.

Inviere wrote: »
    Launchbox has a fantastic 'playlists' feature for that kind of thing. Makes discovering games pretty fun

Yeah, I’m going to be using some of the launchbox xml category lists and drop them into attract mode so I’ll be able to browse by genre.

Hopefully it won’t be too hard to do and the Nevato theme can be used as a “main menu” also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

I used the Nevato theme for a while but tbh its looks a bit crap on a large CRT. The default basic theme suits the cab a lot better.

I used the Nevato theme for a while but tbh its looks a bit crap on a large CRT. The default basic theme suits the cab a lot better.

That's very interesting, I thought the default theme was rubbish! Then again im using the 17" LCD that came with the 1up.

Here she is illuminated, you can't see the text "coin" on those white buttons when using a phone but they're there in real life plus they're not as bright as a nuclear explosion like they look in the picture.

472913.jpg

My 3" speakers arrive tomorrow. Sorry TLB,.but that ugly yellow paragraph kills the look of the Control Panel already imo, so it shall be mostly covered by the left speaker. Looks like an ugly yellow sticker slapped onto it!

Ha, I made the mistake, on the FB Arcade 1up group, of posting that I didn't like illuminated buttons as I found them garish and distracting....
    90% of replies were having the laugh about it, for and against, but that 10% of pure @ssholerly accusing me of negative posting, forcing my likes on others... FFS!
    Oh, then the local admins deleted the whole thread, over a couple of people who are waaaay too attached to their choices of arcade controls...

Ha, I made the mistake, on the FB Arcade 1up group, of posting that I didn't like illuminated buttons as I found them garish and distracting....
    90% of replies were having the laugh about it, for and against, but that 10% of pure @ssholerly accusing me of negative posting, forcing my likes on others... FFS!
    Oh, then the local admins deleted the whole thread, over a couple of people who are waaaay too attached to their choices of arcade controls...

The “Arcade 1Up & Modding” group has some great folk in it, they seem really helpful.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/2768572869834975?ref=share

• Advertisement

I'd agree. Every time I seen them in pics they've always got illuminated buttons. Each to their own etc, but can't say I like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,441 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's the equivalent to a boy racer sticking a spoiler and light kits on a Starlet.

I'll stick to my factory made Rolls Royce, thank you.

posh-meme.jpg

So - more progress on modding the existing hardware -

A lot of success - but with limitations -
    Thanks to the guys on Reddit - I now have the ability to put new mame roms on the existing hardware - downside though is the choice of compatible games is extremely limited - to about 10 - and space on the device is very limited at about 2mb.

So I ve got tetris, millipeed, gravaton and 4 player Gauntlet 1 & 2 in that space.

"1944" should work - would be great I think - but it just wont fit.

473228.jpg
    473229.jpg

“Roll it back”

Impressive, I do like the idea of keeping it stock and just adding a handful of games. I wonder if there's a way for the original board to use usb for external storage (I think you need to solder on a usb header)

Check out this dudes complete Arcade 1Up collection posted in the modding Facebook grouo. :eek:
    473377.jpg

Kinda sad in a way that there's no original CRT cabs when he has such a great space for them.

Pretty cool, they look well together. True re him having space for some original cabs, though they'd only show up the 1UP's :o

Looks like Arcade1UP have improved their more recent cabs.

Wish I had one now with proper T-molding so I could replace it with Red. Looks like I'll have to use red vinyl electrical tape as originally planned.

473898.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Looks like Arcade1UP have improved their more recent cabs.

Wish I had one now with proper T-molding so I could replace it with Red. Looks like I'll have to use red vinyl electrical tape as originally planned.
    One of the retro asylum guys has a YouTube video where he put a premade bartop cab together and he used car trim as it wasn't cut for t-moulding. It looked pretty good and he said you can buy it easily on ebay in lengths. Might be worth checking

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

deadl0ck wrote: »
    One of the retro asylum guys has a YouTube video where he put a premade bartop cab together and he used car trim as it wasn't cut for t-moulding. It looked pretty good and he said you can buy it easily on ebay in lengths. Might be worth checking
    Here it is:

Go to 53:25

I pinged him and he said he got the trim on http://www.rubbertrim.co.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

My replacement control panel cover just arrived in pieces, not a wonder considering how it was packaged. To say I’m not happy is an understatement.

QRqA7AQ.jpg

CgZYjFo.jpg

Advertisement