Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home heating automation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

The hot water diverter is an afterthought to capture excess generation. I agree that solar tubes are far better for heating water for the same area. Now the idea of a second tank is a good one. But I am not sure if it would ever pay for itself. So I will probably just export to the grid for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

deezell wrote: »
    Unless you want to install a second small tank and use it as a pre heat store. Solar PV would not generate a huge amount of heated water compared to the same panel area of solar water heating panels, ten PV panels would produce about 2.5 kW in optimal conditions, which is a moderate kettle element. This could be connected to your cylinder immersion, or to a parallel or series additional tank.

And your kettle boils water in minutes. You only need to heat the water to 55/60 and have it heat longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭deezell

ted1 wrote: »
    And your kettle boils water in minutes. You only need to heat the water to 55/60 and have it heat longer.

An immersion element is generally rated a bit higher than than a kettle. I'd put the excess into the immersion or light up the house like Xmas before I'd give it free to po#y ESB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

I have dual element immersion that's 2kW + 3kW. To bring the temperature of the entire tank from 20 to 60 will take about two hours at 3kW. I would say that is a pretty reasonable use of the excess. Another option is to get an antiscalding valve fitted and let the temp go up to 90. But again I am struggling to justify the expense just to prevent ESB from getting my free electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

Hi Experts - I have been reading fro a while here, but looking at what I currently have - I am unable to confirm if my current system is capable of being 'smart'ened. I was very interested in the Tado (Smart Thermostat with the smart TRVs for all the rads over time) and sent an email to them, but they came back to simply say that I cant have Tado. Now I have been reading about Drayton Wiser here recently and am interested again. Can some one (deezell maybe) have a look and advise please. What I can gather is that - I will need an electrician to first put a clock/thermostat on the wall for me as there is none at the moment and no thermostats anywhere, also I may need a plumber to drain the rads and fit in new attachments for the Smart TRVs to fit. When I do CH - the HW is on automatically - but I can do HW separately as well - so I am guessing 2 zones (1CH and 1 HW)? The boiler is a Wamflow Goldbird 70/90
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

Hello all

I'm enjoying this thread, and plan to upgrade my heating for next winter based on advice posted here.

I'm sure everyone is aware of it, but just in case their not, I want to remind boardies that there is a €700 grant available to anyone who wants to upgrade their heating system...

https://www.seai.ie/grants/home-energy-grants/heating-upgrade-grants/

Hello all

I'm enjoying this thread, and plan to upgrade my heating for next winter based on advice posted here.

I'm sure everyone is aware of it, but just in case their not, I want to remind boardies that there is a €700 grant available to anyone who wants to upgrade their heating system...

https://www.seai.ie/grants/home-energy-grants/heating-upgrade-grants/

only for homes built pre 2006 - right? mine was built in 2008

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

Debub wrote: »
    only for homes built pre 2006 - right? mine was built in 2008

oh yea, sorry, should have mentioned that

Debub wrote: »
    Hi Experts - I have been reading fro a while here, but looking at what I currently have - I am unable to confirm if my current system is capable of being 'smart'ened. I was very interested in the Tado (Smart Thermostat with the smart TRVs for all the rads over time) and sent an email to them, but they came back to simply say that I cant have Tado. Now I have been reading about Drayton Wiser here recently and am interested again. Can some one (deezell maybe) have a look and advise please. What I can gather is that - I will need an electrician to first put a clock/thermostat on the wall for me as there is none at the moment and no thermostats anywhere, also I may need a plumber to drain the rads and fit in new attachments for the Smart TRVs to fit. When I do CH - the HW is on automatically - but I can do HW separately as well - so I am guessing 2 zones (1CH and 1 HW)? The boiler is a Wamflow Goldbird 70/90
    Thanks

From your images, I'm seeing a fully pumped system from the boiler to the HW cylinder, with tee off from the hot flow to a motorised valve. This valve controls CH, which are the grey pipes. Immediately after the zone valve the CH pipes tee off to as many as two different areas. This means with the addition of a couple of extra zone valves you can have fully independent HW and two CH zones. All the plumbing could be done in that area next the existing zone valve and pump.
    Your boiler is suitable for external control by the zone valve relays, you just need to remove or switch off the built in timer. The zone valves will in turn be opened by their associated thermostats, Smart or manual. Manual on the HW cylinder would do. The timing of each zone is part of the function of the smart stats and their associated control box for HW timing.
    As you don't have existing wired stats back to the existing valve or boiler, the Drayton Kit 3 would be ideal, two wireless CH stats back to the receiver, and one optional wired cylinder stat back to the HW zone valve via the receiver. Everything plumbed and wired in that one spot. The combined relays outputs from the three zone valves are connected across terminals 15 and 16 on the boiler, where the current timer is connected, see the picture below of your boiler wiring.
    You'll have to confirm that your current setup is pump on for both CH and HW, if it was gravity for HW then the zone valve would not be needed as the pump would be enough to isolate CH.
    As regards TRVs, you will need to change rad valves for them. This could be a job for later, or get them done with inexpensive manual TRV heads, you can change to smart later.
    480445.jpg

deezell - what can I say, you are a star. Thanks so much for this detailed explanation and your time, now I can go to my plumber and electrician with this. I think that its pump for HW (not gravity), but I will check. The plumber was in yesterday and will flush the rads and put in manual TRV heads (for now) once summer kicks in properly. I will call the electrician in as well to discuss. Thanks again - looks like i will be spending some money. I need this for convenience - as a lot of times we have come home late at night after being out all day (winters) - kids already sleeping in the car - we have to leave the kids in the car with the heater on - while we wait for the house to warm up before we can take them to bed. With this (and smart TRVs), we will be able to switch on the heating when we leave for home and go straight on to a warm house - or even just heat 2 bedrooms only instead of the whole house.

• Advertisement

Sound. Drayton Kit 3 about €230, here or UK. Keep an eye on Amazon, it has dropped below €200. Set up alert on price spy.ie
    https://www.ie.screwfix.com/drayton-3-channel-wiser-thermostat-control-kit-white.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Im getting a new combi boiler in over the next few weeks so considering a smart thermostat. Already have Nest smoke alarms and Google Home speakers throughout so that seems like my natural choice. Should I be looking at other brands?

Assuming I go for Nest, any thoughts on the Nest Thermostat E vs Nest Learning Thermostat?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Im getting a new combi boiler in over the next few weeks so considering a smart thermostat. Already have Nest smoke alarms and Google Home speakers throughout so that seems like my natural choice. Should I be looking at other brands?

Just on that, I'd see no pressing reason to match these up.
    (Great quality aside)

Ok it's on one app. But Google assistant joins them up too.

I love nest protect.

But I've had lightwaverf, netamo, Sonoff and nest stats and they all have different characteristics but I didn't see any great advantage when they were all nest.

Not like nest hello and Google home hub.

Ok the link to shutting down your heating when the smoke alarm goes off shutting off your heating is very fast and solid.

The ifttt method is available to do the same thing for other combinations but it's slower and unreliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Scolly

Hi Folks,

Just looking for some advise - We are in the middle of a house renovation and extension. Before we started I got a Nest and Heatlink from Electric Ireland. We replaced an old stanley rang oil burner with a Grant condensing oil boiler.

The plan for the plumbing/heating is a total of 4 zones. 1 for existing downstairs, 1 for upstairs, 1 for the next extension and 1 for Hot Water.

What we are thinking is this would require 3 Nests? 1 for Downstairs and maybe hot water and 2 more for the other zones, is this correct?

Is there a more efficient smart heating product rather than installing 3 heatlinks to get this working correctly?

Thanks

Scolly wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Just looking for some advise - We are in the middle of a house renovation and extension. Before we started I got a Nest and Heatlink from Electric Ireland. We replaced an old stanley rang oil burner with a Grant condensing oil boiler.

The plan for the plumbing/heating is a total of 4 zones. 1 for existing downstairs, 1 for upstairs, 1 for the next extension and 1 for Hot Water.

What we are thinking is this would require 3 Nests? 1 for Downstairs and maybe hot water and 2 more for the other zones, is this correct?

Is there a more efficient smart heating product rather than installing 3 heatlinks to get this working correctly?

Thanks
    4 Zones means 4 motorised valves to open and close. Your current nest can look after one CH zone plus the HW. Two extra nest would be costly. You can choose to leave the existing Nest and get something a bit more economical for the remaining two CH zones, such as two tado, Netatmo, Hive or Drayton wiser stats. If you want to add TRV control later, Tado or Drayton are good choices. Drayton Kit3 is very cost effective for the extra zones, plus it can take over the HW function. Add an additional Drayton stat for Nest zone and have an all Drayton wireless solution. Your existing Nest will more than cover the cost if you sell it used.

4 Zones means 4 motorised valves to open and close. Your current nest can look after one CH zone plus the HW. Two extra nest would be costly. You can choose to leave the existing Nest and get something a bit more economical for the remaining two CH zones, such as two tado, Netatmo, Hive or Drayton wiser stats. If you want to add TRV control later, Tado or Drayton are good choices. Drayton Kit3 is very cost effective for the extra zones, plus it can take over the HW function. Add an additional Drayton stat for Nest zone and have an all Drayton wireless solution. Your existing Nest will more than cover the cost if you sell it used.

This is exactly what I want to hear. I didnt want to run the expense of the extra Nests

Going to go with your advise - appreciate it thanks Deezell again

Are there any Irish stores which stock the Drayton Kit

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Drayton3 will only do 2xCH+HW, extra zones use wireless TRVs so he won't be able to control the 3rd heating zone directly without changing or removing the motorised valve (I suppose you could wire 2 zones into one and use the TRVs to control the extra zone).

loyatemu wrote: »
    Drayton3 will only do 2xCH+HW, extra zones use wireless TRVs so he won't be able to control the 3rd heating zone directly without changing or removing the motorised valve (I suppose you could wire 2 zones into one and use the TRVs to control the extra zone).

I'm assuming it is possible to operate a Kit 1 and a kit3 in the same location, giving you 3 CH zones and 1 HW zone, with 2 receivers, a 3 channel (2CH and HW) and a single CH. A support call to Drayton would be worthwhile in case there are issues.

You can have more than 3 Wiser wireless stats in a setup, say 2 stats for two general motorised valve zones, then a number of individual stats to give wall control to TRVS, similar to Tado.

You can pair a Stat to a drayton wiser 3 pin smart plug and control it. there is no reason why this plug can't be used to operate another zone valve under the schedule of the additional stat. I'd imagine it is just another receiver.

Finally, and this is a bodge, if you have a smart TRV under the control of a wall stat, it is possible to use a single TRV as a motorised valve for more than one radiator, as long as the valve body has the flow capacity when open. a 3/4" TRV valve would be best. This setup will not have an electrical relay to fire the boiler, and again I assume the Wiser system, like Tado, can call the boiler via another zone relay in order to supply heated water. Its not a perfect bodge, but would give an extra degree of control.

I'm assuming it is possible to have a Kit 1 and a Kit3 in the same setup, 3 stats and HW control. less than €400 for both kits on Amazon
    In ireland, try Heat merchants for a price on Drayton. Here's both from Screwfix.ie for €382.90
    https://www.ie.screwfix.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=drayton+wiser

I think the Kit 3 should suit my needs for now

www. ie.screwfix.com/ drayton-3-channel-wiser-thermostat-control-kit-white.html

I can use the Nest for the Living Zone and Hot Water and Drayton can be used for the other 2 Zones

Ideally I would have liked the Nest for all but that would mean having to buy 2 extra Nest/Heatlinks

In the future I may convert to Nest as price allows but budget getting pretty tight now at the end of a build

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

'Introducing support for Hive Radiator Valves. Manage your heating room by room, all from the Hive app. Head to Hivehome.com to learn more.'

The latest Hive update sees support for the TRVs. Can't be long now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

I’d like to install a WiFi connected immersion controller with a timer. I have a basic on/off with the sink/bath switch at the moment

Any recommendations?

I have a nest, but I’m thinking that running a kerosene burner to only heat some water for 30mins twice a day esp during the summer is probably not very efficient or cost effective.

Appreciate any opinions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Roen wrote: »
    'Introducing support for Hive Radiator Valves. Manage your heating room by room, all from the Hive app. Head to Hivehome.com to learn more.'

The latest Hive update sees support for the TRVs. Can't be long now!

£54 each. Savings on multi packs of 3 and 5.
    Dear enough but close to the zwave one I already got that never really worked properly.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

ctlsleh wrote: »
    I’d like to install a WiFi connected immersion controller with a timer. I have a basic on/off with the sink/bath switch at the moment

Any recommendations?

Yes, simply use a Sonoff TH16. This stand alone device will cost around €20 on Amazon. The app (free) can be used to set up timers, switch remotely etc. It can also measure the temperature of the outside of the hot water tank.
    Be warned heating water electrically is the most expensive way to heat water.
    I have a nest, but I’m thinking that running a kerosene burner to only heat some water for 30mins twice a day esp during the summer is probably not very efficient or cost effective.

If the boiler can be used to heat domestic hot water only (so radiators turned off) then this would be a far more cost effective way to heat water than using electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

2011 wrote: »
    Yes, simply use a Sonoff TH16. This stand alone device will cost around €20 on Amazon. The app (free) can be used to set up timers, switch remotely etc. It can also measure the temperature of the outside of the hot water tank.
    Be warned heating water electrically is the most expensive way to heat water.

If the boiler can be used to heat domestic hot water only (so radiators turned off) then this would be a far more cost effective way to heat water than using electricity.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes I have 3 zones on the boiler, I have 2 nests, one upstairs, one downstairs and one of them also controlling the hot water
    So I can turn on the boiler only for the hot water however I was thinking that it might not be that efficient if running a big boiler to only heat the hot water tank, but I’ll take your word for it and appreciate that guidance.
    I don’t see the need for the Sonoff then.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Fwarder

Hello fellow Nest owners :D

So I got 2 nests and EI fella installed them, of course, wirelessly on the stands with charges etc which is annoying after a month or so :D

I would like to mount them up to the place where we had our previous thermostats installed and wire them up. That being said wiring them up is not an issue, but does anybody know what needs to be changed in the Nests themselves to get them to function over the wired connection (so I can have them without charger)?

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭xl500

Evohome can control up to 12 Zones all can be motorised Valves or any combination of Motorised Valves and Smart TRVs Great system

Fwarder wrote: »
    Hello fellow Nest owners :D

So I got 2 nests and EI fella installed them, of course, wirelessly on the stands with charges etc which is annoying after a month or so :D

I would like to mount them up to the place where we had our previous thermostats installed and wire them up. That being said wiring them up is not an issue, but does anybody know what needs to be changed in the Nests themselves to get them to function over the wired connection (so I can have them without charger)?

You can mount the Nests where the old stats were. The two wires which went from the old stats need to be isolated back at the zone valves, where the nest heatlink boxes now control these valves. Once isolated, (very important, no mains voltage allowed near a nest stat terminal), the wires are connected to the 12v terminals on the heatlink, and at the opposite end to the Nest thermostat low voltage terminals.
    These wires will now supply low voltage to the Nest stat, and also carry the Nest control signal from the stat back to the heatlink, so the stat is not connecting wirelessly anymore. This is useful where the stat and heatlink are seperated by obstacles and distance which can make wireless connection flaky. Instructions and diagrams for this in the Nest install guide.
    Note; The wires at the old stats may not present as a pair back at their respective valves, as the stat live in ( one of the wires) may be sourced elsewhere in the house wiring, it all depends on how the sparks originally laid out the stat wiring.

You can mount the Nests where the old stats were. The two wires which went from the old stats need to be isolated back at the zone valves, where the nest heatlink boxes now control these valves. Once isolated, (very important, no mains voltage allowed near a nest stat terminal), the wires are connected to the 12v terminals on the heatlink, and at the opposite end to the Nest thermostat low voltage terminals.
    These wires will now supply low voltage to the Nest stat, and also carry the Nest control signal from the stat back to the heatlink, so the stat is not connecting wirelessly anymore. This is useful where the stat and heatlink are seperated by obstacles and distance which can make wireless connection flaky. Instructions and diagrams for this in the Nest install guide.
    Note; The wires at the old stats may not present as a pair back at their respective valves, as the stat live in ( one of the wires) may be sourced elsewhere in the house wiring, it all depends on how the sparks originally laid out the stat wiring.

Thanks. Luckily for me wiring is pretty plain and simple so I have two wires going all the way back to heatlinks. All the wires go behind the (old) timer so it's fairly easy to isolate the stats (that are currently set to 30C to keep the loop closed) and bypass them. I was just wondering one I actually connect the Nests to heatlinks through T1 and T2, whether i need to change anything in the settings :)

Fwarder wrote: »
    Thanks. Luckily for me wiring is pretty plain and simple so I have two wires going all the way back to heatlinks. All the wires go behind the (old) timer so it's fairly easy to isolate the stats (that are currently set to 30C to keep the loop closed) and bypass them. I was just wondering one I actually connect the Nests to heatlinks through T1 and T2, whether i need to change anything in the settings :)
    No, should work out of the box. T1,2 just supply the power, but the data is superimposed on the power line, so the heatlink will pick up the signal wired afaik. Last time I installed one for family it was straightforward, heatlink just paired to the stat and that was that. Having to use the little power adaptor is a pita alright, but some users like to move the stat around with them, kitchen, living ext.

• Advertisement

No, should work out of the box. T1,2 just supply the power, but the data is superimposed on the power line, so the heatlink will pick up the signal wired afaik. Last time I installed one for family it was straightforward, heatlink just paired to the stat and that was that. Having to use the little power adaptor is a pita alright, but some users like to move the stat around with them, kitchen, living ext.

Thanks! I'll try to sort it within the next few days and post the results here :)

Advertisement