Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DEAP/BER Issues (Merged)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭JohnnyBingo

Seeing as anyone who provides a BER assessment will have to be registered with SEI (available for taxman to inspect), is anyone concerned about being able to do these as a nixer and still carry on with the day job? I'm sure developers will want VAT receipts for work carried out on new schemes - wil this mean that you will have to setup a company, make tax returns, etc? If this is the case, will this cause any problems if you want to keep your normal employment?
    Anyone looked into this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭smooth operater

Seeing as anyone who provides a BER assessment will have to be registered with SEI (available for taxman to inspect), is anyone concerned about being able to do these as a nixer and still carry on with the day job? I'm sure developers will want VAT receipts for work carried out on new schemes - wil this mean that you will have to setup a company, make tax returns, etc? If this is the case, will this cause any problems if you want to keep your normal employment?
    Anyone looked into this?

That is the case indeed......It will obviously revolve around your current job which could be difficult if you are making regular site visits....otherwise, you can keep up your other employment while self employed aswel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,305 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Anyone looked into this?
    If you are working full time for a firm and doing these as nixers then VAT will not normally be an issue. You will however have to make tax returns on the earned income.

There was (not sure if its still the same) a provision some time ago that if you did work for someone with a VAT number then you were expected to charge the VAT, even though you were not registered yourself, and the make the appropriate returns at the end of the year.

Each and every registered assessor should engage an accountant or someone who cooks sorry does the books to look after that end of things.

But you cant issue the labels unless you have a vat number so SEI can charge you, therefore you will have to register a business

But you cant issue the labels unless you have a vat number so SEI can charge you, therefore you will have to register a business

I thought you just had to set up a direct debit with SEI - wasnt aware that you had to have a VAT number too.

This could be an interesting point. There is a threshold of €27,000 (Im open to correction on the figure) and if your turnover P/A is less than that then you do not register for VAT. So SEI cant make you register. In fact no body other than the revenue commissioners can make you register unless your turnover exceeds the threshold.

It would be interesting to have an input from an accountant on this - in fact I might know someone here who can advise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

muffler wrote: »
    This could be an interesting point. There is a threshold of €27,000 (Im open to correction on the figure) and if your turnover P/A is less than that then you do not register for VAT. So SEI cant make you register. In fact no body other than the revenue commissioners can make you register unless your turnover exceeds the threshold.

It would be interesting to have an input from an accountant on this - in fact I might know someone here who can advise.

Finance Act 2006 - VAT registration thresholds

The VAT registration thresholds for small businesses were increased from €25,500 to €27,500 in the case of services and from €51,000 to €55,000 in the case of goods – effective from 1 May 2006.

I hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Chimpster

I dont honestly think this work can be done as a nixer unless your work is closely related to the building industry. An amount of time will be spent on the phone to suppliers, clients etc... ok you will build up a library of material in time but doing a BER is not a walk in the park. In fact the quotes being bandied about of people doing BERs for €250 is laughable. Sit down meet a client and do a BER 'properly' from start to finish and see how long it takes.

This work will suit Engineers, Architects, QS's or else a viable business offering related services like air tightness, sound proofing etc.

Thats my take on it.

topcatcbr wrote: »
    Finance Act 2006 - VAT registration thresholds

The VAT registration thresholds for small businesses were increased from €25,500 to €27,500 in the case of services and from €51,000 to €55,000 in the case of goods – effective from 1 May 2006.

I hope this helps

Topcat,
    Can I ask you (assuming that you have issued some BER certs) if you know who advised the client of his legal obligation to get one? Did they know themselves or was it their estate agent / solicitor who advised them?

• Advertisement

Chimpster wrote: »
    I dont honestly think this work can be done as a nixer unless your work is closely related to the building industry. An amount of time will be spent on the phone to suppliers, clients etc... ok you will build up a library of material in time but doing a BER is not a walk in the park. In fact the quotes being bandied about of people doing BERs for €250 is laughable. Sit down meet a client and do a BER 'properly' from start to finish and see how long it takes.

This work will suit Engineers, Architects, QS's or else a viable business offering related services like air tightness, sound proofing etc.

Thats my take on it.

I agree when this was first introduced it was aimed at building professional who are already used to this type of work. However the course providers got greedy and would train just about anyone now.
    The course i was on last year had an electronic engineer on it. When i asked him how much he knew about building work he said nothing. He wanted to change from what he was doing and get into construction. I dont think he was a suitable candidate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

"nixer" and BER cert go together like chalk and cheese

you will need PI cover

you will need to be tax compliant

you will need to practice a lot to become proficient i.e. do a lot of them regularly

Remember the BER cert last 10 years .... another assesor will come along after you sometime - better be right

100% agree with last 2 posts

Topcat,
    Can I ask you (assuming that you have issued some BER certs) if you know who advised the client of his legal obligation to get one? Did they know themselves or was it their estate agent / solicitor who advised them?

Im afraid like most other qualified and registered assessors i am waiting on my first one. I have advised some of my clients about this however the mood seems to be that when they are asked for it then they will request it from me. as of yet no bank/ planning official/ or building control officer (who is that i hear you ask) has requested one yet. I have also advised (as to the implications on certs of complience) some architect and engineer colleague's of mine and they will not act on it until such time as they are instructed to by their respective associations iei & riai.
    though the 1st july should clarify things a little for them.

sinnerboy wrote: »
    "nixer" and BER cert go together like chalk and cheese

you will need PI cover

you will need to be tax compliant

you will need to practice a lot to become proficient i.e. do a lot of them regularly

Remember the BER cert last 10 years .... another assesor will come along after you sometime - better be right

100% agree with last 2 posts

Sinnerboy,
    I agree with previous posts that not every tom dick and harry should be allowed become assessors (I have 15 yrs experience as an arch. tech.). I have just completed Block 1 of the course. There was an estate agent there who seemed to have difficulty with the concept of measuring the house volume - God only knows how they will be able to calculate the U-values !!
    I also agree that you need to be properly insured etc and that the certs must be prepared
    But I don't know if it would be possible to make a living out of preparing BER certs at the moment (which is why I referred to doing them as nixers). Maybe when its mandatory for all dwellings and someone takes responsibility for making sure that sale or rent transactions can not be completed without the BER, same as having planning permisison, certs of compliance etc at present it will be possible to make it work full time. I hope to get into this line of work on a part time basis initially - only time will tell if its possible to then give up the day job.

Sinnerboy,
    I agree with previous posts that not every tom dick and harry should be allowed become assessors (I have 15 yrs experience as an arch. tech.). I have just completed Block 1 of the course. There was an estate agent there who seemed to have difficulty with the concept of measuring the house volume - God only knows how they will be able to calculate the U-values !!
    I also agree that you need to be properly insured etc and that the certs must be prepared
    But I don't know if it would be possible to make a living out of preparing BER certs at the moment (which is why I referred to doing them as nixers). Maybe when its mandatory for all dwellings and someone takes responsibility for making sure that sale or rent transactions can not be completed without the BER, same as having planning permisison, certs of compliance etc at present it will be possible to make it work full time. I hope to get into this line of work on a part time basis initially - only time will tell if its possible to then give up the day job.

Estate agents will directly gain financially from a dwelling getting a good BER rating this means they are not independent and should be precluded from offerng this service to their own practice.

Sinnerboy,
    and someone takes responsibility for making sure that sale or rent transactions can not be completed without the BER, same as having planning permisison, certs of compliance etc at present

not "picking holes" here JB but according to a report submitted by the RIAI during public consultations on draft part L last year ( as far as i can recall it is called building control - delivering the system )
    approx 50% only of conveyancing in Ireland proceeds with certs of compliance . The law society obliges the solicitors acting for the purchaser to SEEK certifications . However if the vendors declare that none will be provided - the sale can proceed on that basis .

True if a purchaser is borrowing most of the equity , his lending instition may not stump up the readys if there are no certs .... but if the purchaser is not 1st time buyer and can fund a large % of the price then certs do not HAVE to be produced

If the provision of BER certs is rolled out in this manner ....... need i say more ?

• Advertisement

Perhaps it will be the banks who take up the running on this.
    At present, before giving a mortgage, they get an independant valuation of the property - usually carried out by a building surveyor, architect, engineer, etc and if memory serves me correctly cost me around €130 two years ago when I purchased my last property.
    As the BER certs should directly affect the value of dwellings, I wonder will they insist on it being provided prior to releasing funds?

True if a purchaser is borrowing most of the equity , his lending instition may not stump up the readys if there are no certs .... but if the purchaser is not 1st time buyer and can fund a large % of the price then certs do not HAVE to be produced

If the provision of BER certs is rolled out in this manner ....... need i say more ?

The purchaser does not provide a BER this is up to the seller.

You cannot legislate for people who have no respect for the rule of law. in this case you can inform and guide but the final decision must lay with the client.

not "picking holes" here JB but according to a report submitted by the RIAI during public consultations on draft part L last year ( as far as i can recall it is called building control - delivering the system )
    approx 50% only of conveyancing in Ireland proceeds with certs of compliance . The law society obliges the solicitors acting for the purchaser to SEEK certifications . However if the vendors declare that none will be provided - the sale can proceed on that basis .

As BERs are now part of building regs architects & engineers have a duty to ensure a BER is carried out before issuing Certs of complience as a dwelling which is required to have a ber obviously does not comply with part L if it does not have one.

The purchaser does not provide a BER this is up to the seller.

never said this

As BERs are now part of building regs architects & engineers have a duty to ensure a BER is carried out before issuing Certs of complience as a dwelling which is required to have a ber obviously does not comply with part L if it does not have one.

untrue - BER certs are required to comply with SI 666 of 2006

building regs have to observed to comply with building control acts

designers need to use DEAP to show compliance with Part L of the building regs . it is possible to certify compliance without a BER cert

BUT my point is - many houses are built without professional input . without regard to the builiding regs ,without certification . And they are later sold .

• Advertisement

In relation to the VAT thresholds I just got this info:

Finance Act 2007

Vat Registration Turnover Thresholds

Goods €70,000 Services €35,000

Finance Act 2008 ( effective from 01/05/2008)

Goods €75,000 Services €37,500.

muffler wrote: »
    In relation to the VAT thresholds I just got this info:

Finance Act 2007

Vat Registration Turnover Thresholds

Goods €70,000 Services €35,000

Finance Act 2008 ( effective from 01/05/2008)

Goods €75,000 Services €37,500.

I doubt many of us will reach this threshold from BER alone

Am i correct in saying that doing these B.E.R.s and not earning more than 37.5k i wouldn't have to register for a vat number?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jayme

Anyone know what the requirement for 2000 BER assessors was based on?

Looking at info on the Domestic Energy Assessor (The UK equivalent) they were looking for 3000 to 4000 assessors for an estimated 1.5 million houses being built or coming on the market in 2007. With an estimated 25,000/30,000 new homes being built this year in Ireland, building control officers not being put in place and the housing market in the dumps, there are going to be a lot of people regretting spending out on courses/registration etc.

I wonder how many more people will now be suckered into Air Pressure/Existing Dwelling/Non Domestic courses with the promise of riches!

Apart from the SEI, the training providers and the odd assessor there are not many people making, or going to make any money out of this unless the SEI and local authorities get their fingers out.

Apologies for my first post being such a whinge!

from 01 Jan next year all BUILDINGS sold or rented will require BER certs . not just new houses

.....And just like it is now, theres not a chance in hell that'll be regulated

• Subscribers Posts: 41,831 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

.....And just like it is now, theres not a chance in hell that'll be regulated

what do you mean regulated?? .... do you mean policed?
    the remit for the policing comes down firmly and legally within the building control authorities remit. This is a huge problem, as the building control authority consider 12-15% of examinations of new builds to be a success....!!! absolute madness......

The professional remit for the 'existing stock' part of the BER will be in th elap of solicitors. The main procedure that will include the BER is the conveyencing process. If clients or solicitors are willing to ignore this document then on their head be it..... you cannot legislate for ignorance.

Lets wait and see

Local Authortires can ask for BER certs on demand

28 days to produce it or prosection - max €5k fine

LA's need only target Solicitors and Estate Agents for effective widespread compliance

http://www.lcea.ie/docs/2007/S.I.No.%20666%20OF%202006%20EPBD-%20EC.pdf

Lets wait and see

Local Authortires can ask for BER certs on demand

28 days to produce it or prosection - max €5k fine

LA's need only target Solicitors and Estate Agents for effective widespread compliance

http://www.lcea.ie/docs/2007/S.I.No.%20666%20OF%202006%20EPBD-%20EC.pdf

28 days plenty of time to get one done and produce after being asked

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jayme

A crazy idea, why not hire 100 or 200 registered BER assessors to act as temporary Building Control Officers for 12 months or so, just for BER certs. I'm sure the training providers would be only happy to oblige with a conversion course and SEI could oversee the whole thing. The assessors would act like TV license inspectors! I reckon the government and local authorities are only going to start enforcing things if and when a domestic carbon tax is imposed.

• Advertisement

28 days plenty of time to get one done and produce after being asked

not sure if we're on the same page here . my point is that the act provides the means for LA enforcment . 28 days is pragmatic provision to facilitate compliance

Jayme wrote: »
    A crazy idea, why not hire 100 or 200 registered BER assessors to act as temporary Building Control Officers for 12 months or so, just for BER certs. I'm sure the training providers would be only happy to oblige with a conversion course and SEI could oversee the whole thing. The assessors would act like TV license inspectors! I reckon the government and local authorities are only going to start enforcing things if and when a domestic carbon tax is imposed.

whats a crazy idea ? your post ? or the provisions of the act that i have refered to ?

BER assessors will be needed at the point of sale or letting of a property to produce an energy rating . They won't and can't act "like TV licence inspectors" i.e. to "catch" people . The legislation is not framed like that .

please read the link to the act i posted before commenting further .

not sure if we're on the same page here . my point is that the act provides the means for LA enforcment . 28 days is pragmatic provision to facilitate compliance

this is like the tv licence inspector calling and saying if you dont have it ill call back in 28 days will you have one by then. if not i might take this further and you might be fined a max of €5000

this is my point

this is fair enough . what kind of country do you want to live in ? the point of BER lables for existing stock is to raise awareness for consumers and occupiers. not to create an army of "inspectors" .

the legislation has sensible provision for enforcement - i think so anyway

this is fair enough . what kind of country do you want to live in ? the point of BER labels for existing stock is to raise awareness for consumers and occupiers. not to create an army of "inspectors" .

the legislation has sensible provision for enforcement - i think so anyway

My real point is that their is no enforcement due to the serious under resourcing of the building control department. They cannot keep up with the work load that they already have and can only visit a small portion of developments. This is especially true for regional areas. Therefore the chance of someone requesting a cert is slim. developers will only introduce something new when they have to and if they feel they will get away with not implementing the BER that is just what they will do.
    Think of this from a developers point of view.
    why should i go to the expence of getting a BER done when i wont be asked to produce one & in the unlikly event i am asked for one i have plenty of time to get it done then.

Think back to health & safety
    there was very little done until some serious fines were issued and builders went to prison. and that was a much more serious issue.

I have talked to developers who have attended the homebond seminars and what i have said is what has been said to me.

Oh no argument there - I agree BER implementation with new builds may be patchy alright . A "why should I unless forced " point of view with respect to a self build has been expressed on forum here .

But with respect to selling / letting of existing stock - SI 666 2006 provides for LA's to demand BER cert from the owner or his agent or agents .

So if ( and I mean IF ) the LA's are cute about it they could use resources in an effective and targeted manner by communicating with estate agents and solicitors .

AND i would expect the Law Society and the Institute of Auctioneers and Valuers to insist that there members are compliant .

In this respect I am ( uncharacteristically ) optimistic

Oh no argument there - I agree BER implementation with new builds may be patchy alright . A "why should I unless forced " point of view with respect to a self build has been expressed on forum here .

But with respect to selling / letting of existing stock - SI 666 2006 provides for LA's to demand BER cert from the owner or his agent or agents .

So if ( and I mean IF ) the LA's are cute about it they could use resources in an effective and targeted manner by communicating with estate agents and solicitors .

AND i would expect the Law Society and the Institute of Auctioneers and Valuers to insist that there members are compliant .

In this respect I am ( uncharacteristically ) optimistic

I hope so as i have invested a bit in this

"The current version of the DEAP software tool is provided by SEI to BER Assessors for the purpose of calculating BER assessments for new dwellings only. This version of the DEAP Software must not be used to produce BERs for existing dwellings. If BER assessors are providing energy assessments of existing dwellings, assessors must clearly state the unofficial nature of such assessments. Clients should be fully aware that no official BERs are available for existing dwellings until January 2009"

This is from the NAS site
    how can people be complient with the regs by 1st jan 2009 (Existing Buildings (dwellings and other buildings) when offered for sale or letting on or after 1st January 2009)
    when sei state that no official certs are to be issued untill then. Do they think assessors will survey and certify all rented and for sale buildings in a single day.
    Yet another example of incompetence.

Nobodys buying houses so it doesnt matter....

(just being flippant... sorry...:D)

Theres a good article in this months Construct ireland about this issue....

the likes of FETAc and other awarding institutions need to change their result submission dates to suit... which probably isnt that easy to do.... they are also fairly much demanding that an on-site hands on practical aspect to the training is included....

Anyway, i do not know if the SEI can legally issue a certificate to compy with a directive before the commencement date??? id say its a case of having the assessment in the system reday to publish....

anyone yet have any idea of costs to do this add on course???

• Advertisement

Trainers will decide . when SEI tell them what the content will be ...... when ....when ....when yawn

Anyone see this glaring issue with the Home Energy Savings Pilot Scheme....

Home Energy Savings Pilot Scheme
    Home Energy Surveyor / Assessor Panel
    Application Form

The energy surveyor / assessor may be required to indicate to the householder how the energy rating of the
    home might be expected to improve based upon the recommended upgrade works. The energy surveyor /
    assessor will be required to satisfactorily complete SEI-approved training in surveying methodology and
    advisory reports for existing dwellings.

The majority of home energy assessments will be undertaken between June and September.

:eek:

That just bloody typical....

1. They expect us to quote for a restricted contract without even knowing what the methodology will include.....
    2. The closing time for tender prices is 5 pm, June 4th 2008.... impossible to tell by then what the course costs are going to be
    3. They state the assessments are to be done between june and september without any course being available yet (i assume they are talking about 2008)....

Are they for real?

I think the scheme is being "rolled out" next year .

Pretty funny though if it is this year - wanting us to implement an assessment method that they have not decided upon yet themselves .

Is anyone aware of a method to fix a required level of air tightness other by performance specification

i.e. one may specify " Q50 5 ac/ hr" - but in terms of a materials/construcion specification - what does one do ?

Take an analogy with "external wall to achive 0.25 Wm2 K U value"
    We have a methodology to to "play" with different wall construction types and can engineer different material layers and thickness to acheive precisely 0.25 . We can then adjust material thickness to answer a query like- "what if we want to improve the wall to 0.22 Wm2 K "

Is there a method to calculate air tightness levels like this ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 cts

sydthebeat wrote: »

Application Form
    The energy surveyor / assessor may be required to indicate to the householder how the energy rating of the
    home might be expected to improve based upon the recommended upgrade works. The energy surveyor /
    assessor will be required to satisfactorily complete SEI-approved training in surveying methodology and
    The majority of home energy assessments will be undertaken between June and September.
    1. They expect us to quote for a restricted contract without even knowing what the methodology will include.....
    2. The closing time for tender prices is 5 pm, June 4th 2008.... impossible to tell by then what the course costs are going to be
    3. They state the assessments are to be done between june and september without any course being available yet (i assume they are talking about 2008)....

I couldn't agree more except that as I understand it the SEI course is FREE! It is stated in the "Applicant Declaration" section (2) of the Application Form. You do have to cover your own traveling expenses etc. Please correct me it I have misunderstood this.

Is anyone aware of a method to fix a required level of air tightness other by performance specification

i.e. one may specify " Q50 5 ac/ hr" - but in terms of a materials/construcion specification - what does one do ?

We have a methodology to to "play" with different wall construction types and can engineer different material layers and thickness to acheive precisely 0.25 . We can then adjust material thickness to answer a query like- "what if we want to improve the wall to 0.22 Wm2 K "

Not that i'm aware of, you have to remember, the quality of the air tightness lies with the tradesmen......

• Advertisement

Application Form

Are they for real?

Did you notice they are only allowing four hours to survey property and complete assessment
    This also is to allow for travel to and from property.
    I dont think this will be enough time. unless it is part of a group of similar properties. But in this case they will only allow 2.5 hours.

Not that i'm aware of, you have to remember, the quality of the air tightness lies with the tradesmen......

is this what you are looking for

http://www.seda2.org/dfa/

i may be wrong

Application Form

Are they for real?

Check out email from sei

is this what you are looking for

http://www.seda2.org/dfa/

i may be wrong

That is a useful link indeed TC . A lot of good guidance . thanks for that
    But is there a way to "engineer" ait tightness like with u values - it appears not

Designers set the target and trust to specialists to achieve those targets .
    I know that the UK retails giants are "big" on this and sometimes a lot of "snag / test / snag again / test again etc " occurs close to completion of those projects .

This text is pasted from the link ( my underlining )

"The performance specification allows appropriate targets to be set for the project, along with a description of how the process is to be conducted, in terms of scheduling, audits and testing, and potentially remedial works. Given the increasing use of specialist subcontractors, particularly in larger projects, it is also critical that the performance specification sets out both the responsibility for, and constructive guidance regarding the co-ordination of trades with respect to the final air permeability of the completed envelope"

Check out email from sei

got that today......

• Advertisement
Advertisement