Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway's traffic issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

In this instance it is very much correct if the anti-car agenda blindfolds are removed.

A city of barely 80,000 should not necessitate a €600m bypass and opposition to it is not the hand of the "anti car brigade" which is seemingly your answer to everything.

Why should Galway be any different to Dublin? Billions sunk into the M50 and congestion has never been worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The 'obvious' solution is to create a bus corridor from knocknacarra to roscam. There are bus lanes most of the way already, and where there aren't - the roads are already 2 lanes each way, very easy to convert 1 lane each way to bus lanes.

Then run a high frequency orbital bus route that just goes along that route.
    The biggest problem with galway's bus service at the minute is that every bus has to go to the cramped and crowded city center with no bus lanes and chronic traffic issues, in order to change over. I don't know if this is due to poor planning or a deliberate attempt to get more people into the city to shop and spend etc. Regardless, it's a bad idea and adds a lot to journey times.

To get people to switch from cars you need to incentivise them - make it more attractive to take a bus than car. However right now, knocknacarra to parkmore is still marginally quicker/easier in a car than a bus, despite the bus lanes that exist. Why would anyone take a bus if they could drive there quicker in the comfort of their own car?

Remove roundabouts behind hospital, at cemetery cross, and possibly at fort lorenzo. Bus lanes all along N6. And a bus route that goes from far side of knocknacarra - westside - QCB - cemetery cross - GMIT - roscam. Anyone who wants to get anywhere east/west of the city can do so knowing it's a consistent travel time not dependent on traffic/schools/weather, and it would be easy to transfer to other bus routes as almost all would intersect with this one somewhere along the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭xckjoo

In this instance it is very much correct if the anti-car agenda blindfolds are removed.
    The engineers paid to justify the creation of it didn't seem to agree. I'm not "anti-car", I'm anti-waste. Anti-waste-of-life-sitting-in-traffic and anti-waste-of-money-building-something-that-won't-fix-it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭ratracer

xckjoo wrote: »
    I've heard good things about using the train to get into town from Oranmore. A flat 7mins no matter what the traffic is like. Not sure about cost, but might be worth looking into. Check the website though. They scalp you if you want to buy a ticket any other way.

The train times don’t really work with my shift schedule, but it obviously does for an awful lot of people as the carpark there is full out to the road most days. Again, this is more proof that people will use the traffic free option if it is there. I know a lot of people that take the train from Oranmore to Galway for work, there should be more frequency on this line at peak times.
    There just seems to be no collective will at either local authority or political level to even trial reducing road lanes to traffic and implementing public transport initiatives.
    I quite like cycling into Galway, the weather is usually fine as long as one is dressed appropriately, but again the cycling infrastructure is non-existent in the city and on commuter routes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Try driving from the roundabout at corrib great southern to lights at Boston scientific or from lights at quincentennial bridge to corrib village .
    Both roads are caving in .
    No but the clowns in city hall repair roads that don't need repairing and yet leave these 2 crap road surfaces alone .
    If they had one brain cell they would be dangerous .

You should address these concerns to your councillors and meet them
    https://www.galwaycity.ie/council-mayor

Also contact the council executive

https://www.galwaycity.ie/contact-us-information/

The city needs people to stand up but there is a way to get things done , it may be lengthy however

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,108 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

xckjoo wrote: »
    I've heard good things about using the train to get into town from Oranmore. A flat 7mins no matter what the traffic is like. Not sure about cost, but might be worth looking into. Check the website though. They scalp you if you want to buy a ticket any other way.

Yes, 9 mins.

664.35 euro net for an annual taxsaver ticket, or 12.80 per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭what_traffic

ratracer wrote: »
    There just seems to be no collective will at either local authority or political level to even trial reducing road lanes to traffic and implementing public transport initiatives.

Your right here, even adding lanes like Bus Lanes.
    How many KM's or should I say meters of bus lane have been added to the City network in the last 5 years?
    Can anybody tell me what year the last bus lane that was constructed in Galway City? Would it be the section inbound on the Headford Rd between Terryland Dunnes Stores and the Headford Rd traffic light junction? What year was that?

Further public consultation on city ring road plan
    https://connachttribune.ie/further-public-consultation-on-city-ring-road-plan/

They really messed up here with the snails pace of this "project".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

dont think it will ever get built

• Registered Users Posts: 5,195 ✭✭✭bobbyss

You're flying it until Bons then it's a pain in the ares. Then we see proof of failure of planners. Gridlock. City is crying out for bus lanes. Anybody in their right mind would opt for that if guaranteed fast, regular and efficient lanes and or park and ride.

• Advertisement

What genius decided to change the light sequence at the end of the bridge giving a much shorter green time? Traffic backed up half the bridge going west at 10am the last two days, it’s usually totally free from about 9:15am at these lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Ruhanna

it’s usually totally free from about 9:15am at these lights.

What, no traffic congestion in Galway after 09:15?

donvito99 wrote: »
    A city of barely 80,000 should not necessitate a €600m bypass and opposition to it is not the hand of the "anti car brigade" which is seemingly your answer to everything.

Why should Galway be any different to Dublin? Billions sunk into the M50 and congestion has never been worse.

A €600m bypass for a small city where certain junctions are "totally free from about 9:15am".

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

What genius decided to change the light sequence at the end of the bridge giving a much shorter green time? Traffic backed up half the bridge going west at 10am the last two days, it’s usually totally free from about 9:15am at these lights.

Traffic light sequence ain't going to work in galway between 7 am - 10am
    And 4pm to 7 pm .
    A sequenced traffic light cant see which junction is in trouble .
    Also nox it's only pushing the trouble up to a roundabout .
    All it takes is a very inexperienced driver at the top of roundabout to cause choas behind .

It's going to be a very long road before we are going to see any real changes in galway .

Ruhanna wrote: »
    What, no traffic congestion in Galway after 09:15?
    ".

On my route very little.
    Traffic light sequence ain't going to work in galway between 7 am - 10am
    And 4pm to 7 pm .
    A sequenced traffic light cant see which junction is in trouble .
    Also nox it's only pushing the trouble up to a roundabout .
    All it takes is a very inexperienced driver at the top of roundabout to cause choas behind .

It's going to be a very long road before we are going to see any real changes in galway .

Well it’s been working for the last year and a half or so that I’ve been fairly regularly going west over the bridge in the morning. Id normally cross anytime between about 9:15am and 9:45am and this is the first week I’ve had anywhere near the build up of the last two days (at the above times on the very rare occasion I come near the city before 9am it’s a different story). Also very little or no hold ups at the roundabout either at these times, I don’t go back towards westside at the roundabout but it was totally free looking back that direction which is the main exit from that roundabout.

Traffic has been bad on the east side of the city this week for longer in the morning also .
    The saving grace has been the dry days .
    Hate to see what it would be like if it was raining .
    I'm seriously considering changing my working hours .
    This city goes from been nuts 6 hours a day ( 7- 10 / 4- 7 ) to operating like a village the rest .

Those 6 hours are hell to drive in .

Modnote - Posting after threadban means forumban

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭cr-07

Anyone have any suggestions for faster routes from coming from the Coolagh roundabout to the Rahoon cemetery? I work in Athlone and drive every morning and back every evening. Leaving in the morning isn't actually that bad, leave at around 7.45am to be in Athlone for 9.00-9.30.

The killer is the drive home in the evenings, I'm still trying to find out what is the best time to leave work (I can leave anytime between 4pm - 6pm and work up the hours throughout the week). As it stands, it takes me 45-50 minutes from Athlone to the Coolagh roundabout, but it takes me 45 minutes to an hour to get from there to the Rahoon cemetery.

The route I take is all the way along Bothar na dTreabh as far as the Kirwan roundabout. Down the Headford Rd, over the Quincentennial Bridge, through the Browne roundabout, along Seamus Quirke road, and take a right at the junction across from the Glen Oaks hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

cr-07 wrote: »
    Anyone have any suggestions for faster routes from coming from the Coolagh roundabout to the Rahoon cemetery? I work in Athlone and drive every morning and back every evening. Leaving in the morning isn't actually that bad, leave at around 7.45am to be in Athlone for 9.00-9.30.

The killer is the drive home in the evenings, I'm still trying to find out what is the best time to leave work (I can leave anytime between 4pm - 6pm and work up the hours throughout the week). As it stands, it takes me 45-50 minutes from Athlone to the Coolagh roundabout, but it takes me 45 minutes to an hour to get from there to the Rahoon cemetery.

The route I take is all the way along Bothar na dTreabh as far as the Kirwan roundabout. Down the Headford Rd, over the Quincentennial Bridge, through the Browne roundabout, along Seamus Quirke road, and take a right at the junction across from the Glen Oaks hotel.

Leave Athlone at 5:30/6 then by the time you get to Galway there will be minimal traffic.

etxp wrote: »
    Leave Athlone at 5:30/6 then by the time you get to Galway there will be minimal traffic.

I've tried that. Leaving at 6pm will get me into Galway for say 6.45pm. I'm still catching the tail end of the traffic and still stuck in traffic. Granted instead of being stuck in traffic for 45-60 minutes, I'm stuck in it for 30-40 minutes, still an absolute pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Cycle & train?

Cr-07 .... If I'm on the east side on the city and traffic is bad I do the following .
    Come off the motorway and head for parkmore .
    Go down parkmore hill and take a right going out tuam road .
    Take a left before Mchughs pub .
    This brings you down to ballindooley cross .
    Go straight across and take the back road .
    This brings you to dyke road .
    Drive in by wood quay .
    See what traffic is like on university road .
    If it's bad take left at cathedral and come out at " the bish "
    Take right and go up mill street .
    Head for shantalla road and that brings you home .
    It's a good bit more driving but at least your moving .

• Advertisement

Cycle & train?

I considered getting the train, but it was a crazy amount of money to be paying (I think around €395 monthly if I remember correctly). Cycling is fine in the summer months, but I do not fancy getting saturated to the bone with the wind and the rain during the winter.

My office is also a 45 minute walk from Athlone train station, and before someone suggests it, I do not want to be relying on the bus service when I need to catch a train at a certain time, along with the cost for the bus service. Even if all of these modes of transport was subsidized, I do not think it is time efficient at all.
    Cr-07 .... If I'm on the east side on the city and traffic is bad I do the following .
    Come off the motorway and head for parkmore .
    Go down parkmore hill and take a right going out tuam road .
    Take a left before Mchughs pub .
    This brings you down to ballindooley cross .
    Go straight across and take the back road .
    This brings you to dyke road .
    Drive in by wood quay .
    See what traffic is like on university road .
    If it's bad take left at cathedral and come out at " the bish "
    Take right and go up mill street .
    Head for shantalla road and that brings you home .
    It's a good bit more driving but at least your moving .

Roughly how long does this take? Might consider it this evening on the way home, thanks!

Could you shift the hours more work 10am to 6:30pm? Alternatively start at the same time and work later and finish early on a Friday to get home before the traffic?

If you worked until 6:30 you would be arriving into Galway with most of the traffic gone (most days).

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭StonedRaider

Electric scooter. Folds up nicely to fit in the boot. There are so many free parking spots within a 2 mile radius of the city. Scoot takes about 6 minutes to work. Been doing this for 15 years, don't know what traffic you lot are on about.
    Commute smart and help towards finding a solution to the problem. All these people come on here whinging, and do nothing about it..hoping someone else would sort this out.
    If you really think it's the councils fault, why not get signatures and present them to your tds/councillors etc. Go on strike and show that you're willing to do something about it.
    Always enjoy reading these threads.. it's always the same ol same ol complain..do nothing..and take the bulls#!+ up the arse
    Life's too short

• Registered Users Posts: 18,438 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Electric scooter. Folds up nicely to fit in the boot. There are so many free parking spots within a 2 mile radius of the city. Scoot takes about 6 minutes to work. Been doing this for 15 years, don't know what traffic you lot are on about.
    Commute smart and help towards finding a solution to the problem. All these people come on here whinging, and do nothing about it..hoping someone else would sort this out.
    If you really think it's the councils fault, why not get signatures and present them to your tds/councillors etc. Go on strike and show that you're willing to do something about it.
    Always enjoy reading these threads.. it's always the same ol same ol complain..do nothing..and take the bulls#!+ up the arse
    Life's too short

You've been using an electric scooter since 2004?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭StonedRaider

kippy wrote: »
    You've been using an electric scooter since 2004?

2003 actually. I find ways. My parking spot has always been the same nonetheless. I can count on 1 hand the number of times i have been caught in Galway city traffic since then.

Commute smart and help towards finding a solution to the problem.
    Ya its what I see more and more people are doing every year in Galway City.
    City and County.
    It is the Councils (City and County) fault though - they still believe in the ideology of the Silver Bullet.

http://www.n6galwaycityringroad.ie/Response,Report,Links/
    "
    Request for Further Information Response

Volume 1 - RFI Response Report
    Volume 2 – RFI Response Report Appendices
    Volume 3 – A.2.1 Route Selection Report (RSR)
    Volume 4 – Appendix A.10.1 Design Report (DR)
    "

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Been driving in and out for work for about 3 months now. The only time I really hit traffic is on Friday evenings now. It seems to have gotten bad on Fridays in July to now so maybe an increase with tourists coming in for the weekend. It will be interesting to see how bad it is in September when tourists are still around and schools are back.

Don't know if I'm in the minority but I find the few roundabouts that are still here operate more efficiently than the junctions. They really messed up with the left exit lanes on some of those.

It looks like I won't be commuting into the city any more. My office lease ran out and they didn't want to renew. Found an anchor tenant to come in and gave me the boot.

Based on the traffic over the last couple of weeks, I think it's a blessing in disguise. The schools being back has had a significant impact on traffic on the N84. There was also roadworks for a few weeks by the river and just before Ballindooley that had a pretty big impact on traffic for the few days they were working and there is talk of roadworks on the N84 that could last 2 months and reduced speed limit for some of stretch for up to 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Wompa1 wrote: »
    It looks like I won't be commuting into the city any more. My office lease ran out and they didn't want to renew. Found an anchor tenant to come in and gave me the boot.

Based on the traffic over the last couple of weeks, I think it's a blessing in disguise. The schools being back has had a significant impact on traffic on the N84. There was also roadworks for a few weeks by the river and just before Ballindooley that had a pretty big impact on traffic for the few days they were working and there is talk of roadworks on the N84 that could last 2 months and reduced speed limit for some of stretch for up to 12 months.

I don't think the reduced speed limit will make much difference In the mornings. 60kmh all the way from the Corrandula turn off to Ballindooley stores this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Wompa1

etxp wrote: »
    I don't think the reduced speed limit will make much difference In the mornings. 60kmh all the way from the Corrandula turn off to Ballindooley stores this morning.

Yeah, that was normal the last few weeks. At least from Cloonboo anyway but what will slow things down more is when they put in the stop lights for works. They had that in place a couple of weeks ago and it completely f*cked things altogether.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement