Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway's traffic issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭ratracer

https://connachttribune.ie/galway-city-ring-road-could-open-in-stages-300/

Brendan McGrath the Chief Executive of the City Council ( should planning be approved for the Ring Road )

What vision and foresight the man running the city has :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,900 ✭✭✭what_traffic

ratracer wrote: »
    What vision and foresight the man running the city has :(

Its even better - he is rubbishing the analysis from the ARUP Consultants who are employed by his Galway City Council and the County Council to draw up the plans:
    ....obtained documentation which revealed a predicted 37% increase in CO2 emissions as a result of the new road – a figure from the Government-approved business case for the Ring Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Just thought I would count how many cars with more than one person in them this morning on my way to work. Traffic backed up from Monaghans garage to just passed Roadstone. 13 cars with more than one person in them out of probably 100 cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭kippy

etxp wrote: »
    Just thought I would count how many cars with more than one person in them this morning on my way to work. Traffic backed up from Monaghans garage to just passed Roadstone. 13 cars with more than one person in them out of probably 100 cars.

Yep, single occupancy vehicles.
    If only there were some method of:
    1. Discouraging the use of same.
    2. Encouraging the use of buses/bikes/car pooling.

No additional roads are going to improve this.

A bypass of claregalway is being discussed earlier but I suppose the reality of this is it will just lead to a bigger concentration of traffic on the section of road you speak about faster.

kippy wrote: »

A bypass of claregalway is being discussed earlier but I suppose the reality of this is it will just lead to a bigger concentration of traffic on the section of road you speak about faster.

Exactly. I think people would also change their routes to come through/bypass Claregalway which would be a disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

kippy wrote: »

Extra roads capacity will enable more cars , but more cars come with greater population so the net effect will be minimal improvement by the time the extra road capacity comes on stream ?

Immediate wins could be Park and Ride/linked buses , I fail to see why no concrete actions efforts are made on this by Council/major employers and bus companies ( Tuam Rd bus lane has permission, Dublin Rd has lanes, N59 has speed/capacity for eg +sites like Airport and other are available )
    Surely worth a question to the elected powers +standing officials

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭kippy

youngrun wrote: »
    Extra roads capacity will enable more cars , but more cars come with greater population so the net effect will be minimal improvement by the time the extra road capacity comes on stream ?

Immediate wins could be Park and Ride/linked buses , I fail to see why no concrete actions efforts are made on this by Council/major employers and bus companies ( Tuam Rd bus lane has permission, Dublin Rd has lanes, N59 has speed/capacity for eg +sites like Airport and other are available )
    Surely worth a question to the elected powers +standing officials

Roads are needed, and a ringroad is needed (around the city) if only to enable the use of cleaner transport in the coming years as the more polluting vehicles are forced off the road.
    But yes, I agree, one would think that park and ride solutions with buses are part of a short term solution but very little getting done on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭xckjoo

https://connachttribune.ie/galway-city-ring-road-could-open-in-stages-300/

Brendan McGrath the Chief Executive of the City Council ( should planning be approved for the Ring Road )
    Conveniently ignoring the environmental impact of building all these roads...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

etxp wrote: »

Dublin City Council also calculated the occupancy of private cars in Dublin as 1.3, must be the sweet spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

A huge amount of the cars coming in from rural parts of galway / Clare / Roscommon etc etc have no choice but to use their car .
    Bus service is dreadful in many of these places .
    Plus a lot of people could live 5 miles plus down country roads before they can get to a bus pick up point .
    It's like people suggesting a late bus service to the likes of Athenry etc.
    What happens when these people are dropped off in Athenry ?
    Some could live miles away from the center of Athenry .
    People ain't going to start walking from the centres of these small towns to get to their home .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,145 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

A huge amount of the cars coming in from rural parts of galway / Clare / Roscommon etc etc have no choice but to use their car .
    Plus a lot of people could live 5 miles plus down country roads before they can get to a bus pick up point .
    People ain't going to start walking from the centres of these small towns to get to their home .

Yes, which is why we must encourage people to live in villages, not one-off houses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Why do the gob****es in council wait until September to start major roadworks at bushy park and dominick street?

There was zero wrong with the road in bushy park. No reason to resurface.

There's already a late bus service to Athenry on Friday and Saturday nights. A very busy and successful one at that

Geuze wrote: »
    Yes, which is why we must encourage people to live in villages, not one-off houses.

A lot of these one off houses are on sites given to them by parents that own the land .
    Also a lot of people like the idea of living in rural Ireland .
    You can only put up with people for so long .

Why do the gob****es in council wait until September to start major roadworks at bushy park and dominick street?

Because if they don't spend it when the funding is handed out it goes back to central funding .
    Any roadworks that go on in the inner city of galway should be carried out a times when it's least effects the traffic .
    I've seen them doing roadworks in the pouring rain on a Friday afternoon when it's already Chaos .
    But snow garden .... These clowns in city hall couldn't run a village nevermind a city !!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭claw14

Totally agree. I travel this road everyday (Bushypark) and it was in perfect condition. Cannot understand why they are resurfacing this road. What a waste of money. Sometimes I think they are using up budgets before year end :rolleyes::rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭ratracer

I'm one of those people. I live 5km outside my village, but work in Galway city centre. Currently, I frequently park in Oranmore and cycle into town, unless i have a lot of equipment to take with me. If there was a regular bus service with dedicated lanes all the way from galway to Oranmore, and a park and ride service in operation, I don't think I would ever drive into Galway city centre. And this is the point of P&R into the city, people don't want to waste their life sitting in traffic, if there is a reliable value for money option, they will take it.

claw14 wrote: »
    Totally agree. I travel this road everyday (Bushypark) and it was in perfect condition. Cannot understand why they are resurfacing this road. What a waste of money. Sometimes I think they are using up budgets before year end :rolleyes::rolleyes:.

Try driving from the roundabout at corrib great southern to lights at Boston scientific or from lights at quincentennial bridge to corrib village .
    Both roads are caving in .
    No but the clowns in city hall repair roads that don't need repairing and yet leave these 2 crap road surfaces alone .
    If they had one brain cell they would be dangerous .

I don't think anyone is suggesting buses direct from people doors, expecting that is just stupid. What would work is an adequate park and ride facility into the city.
    A bus lane all the way into Eyre square would be needed for this to be effective.

Try driving from the roundabout at corrib great southern to lights at Boston scientific or from lights at quincentennial bridge to corrib village .
    Both roads are caving in .
    No but the clowns in city hall repair roads that don't need repairing and yet leave these 2 crap road surfaces alone .
    If they had one brain cell they would be dangerous .

We get it, you don't like the council, but give it a rest with the ridiculous insults. You make some good points in your posts but the constant insults just make you look silly IMHO.

• Advertisement

We get it, you don't like the council, but give it a rest with the ridiculous insults. You make some good points in your posts but the constant insults just make you look silly IMHO.

Touching a nerve Dacor .... You in the council or related to someone in it ???
    Boards is an opinion forum.
    I'm entitled to mine as you are of yours .
    There's many of your posts one could say is in the very least ... SILLY

A lot of these one off houses are on sites given to them by parents that own the land .
    Also a lot of people like the idea of living in rural Ireland .

Yes, living in a village means living in rural Ireland.

I'm one of those people. I live 5km outside my village, but work in Galway city centre. Currently, I frequently park in Oranmore and cycle into town, unless i have a lot of equipment to take with me. If there was a regular bus service with dedicated lanes all the way from galway to Oranmore, and a park and ride service in operation, I don't think I would ever drive into Galway city centre. And this is the point of P&R into the city, people don't want to waste their life sitting in traffic, if there is a reliable value for money option, they will take it.

There nearly is.

404 is every 30 mins, bus lane of much of the route inbound, as far as G hotel, for 7.50 per week.

BUT, no bus lane on much of the outbound route, AFAIK.

You really are the perfect stereotype for taxi drivers!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

There nearly is.

404 is every 30 mins, bus lane of much of the route inbound, as far as G hotel, for 7.50 per week.

BUT, no bus lane on much of the outbound route, AFAIK.
    Bus lane inbound ends at the Bons. Outbound is just from G to Connacht hotel. Possibly more by Merlin but can't remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ashleigh1986, stop with insulting the people at city hall, and moreover, trying imply people here are connected just because they bring you up on your language.
    Keep these things in mind when you post on Saturday.
    Threadbanned until then.

Snow garden, see you Saturday as well

Many don’t want to live in villages, they have land to build on and what to build the house they want not a small house in an estate or villages, they want to live next to family, they want space, they don’t want to be stuck on top of their neighbors etc etc. Rural areas are communities and stopping people living in them will suck the life out of our county.

They already restrict it anyway. I’m about to submit house plans for planning permission for a rural one off house and being able to prove local needs is an essential part of the application.

Anyway blaming people living in the country for the traffic is not the answer. I drove home last night from work at around 7pm and crossed the continuous line of traffic traveling east to west over the bridge and well up Br no treabh. While some of that will be people living in the west part of the county a lot is people living in the west side of the city. On the other hand I flew out home 30km in less than 30 mins no traffic hold ups at all heading out.

Build the bypass and that line of traffic is immediately significantly reduced. It’s such an obvious solution that some are finding any reason (or making up reasons) to claim it isn’t.

I've heard good things about using the train to get into town from Oranmore. A flat 7mins no matter what the traffic is like. Not sure about cost, but might be worth looking into. Check the website though. They scalp you if you want to buy a ticket any other way.

Many don’t want to live in villages, they have land to build on and what to build the house they want not a small house in an estate or villages, they want to live next to family, they want space, they don’t want to be stuck on top of their neighbors etc etc. Rural areas are communities and stopping people living in them will suck the life out of our county.

They already restrict it anyway. I’m about to submit house plans for planning permission for a rural one off house and being able to prove local needs is an essential part of the application.

Anyway blaming people living in the country for the traffic is not the answer. I drove home last night from work at around 7pm and crossed the continuous line of traffic traveling east to west over the bridge and well up Br no treabh. While some of that will be people living in the west part of the county a lot is people living in the west side of the city. On the other hand I flew out home 30km in less than 30 mins no traffic hold ups at all heading out.

Build the bypass and that line of traffic is immediately significantly reduced. It’s such an obvious solution that some are finding any reason (or making up reasons) to claim it isn’t.
    Sometimes what seems obvious is not actually correct.....

• Advertisement

xckjoo wrote: »
    Sometimes what seems obvious is not actually correct.....

In this instance it is very much correct if the anti-car agenda blindfolds are removed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement