Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway's traffic issues

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    Is there any short to medium term plan to solve the calamity that is Galway traffic?

It's reached crisis point.

Emigrate? It's worked for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Is there any short to medium term plan to solve the calamity that is Galway traffic?

Do what our great City Council do bury your head in the sand and pretend it does not exist

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Bredabe

One of mine wants to return to galway, most of the jobs are the other side of the city. Her epilepsy is well controlled but she is still not allowed to drive or cycle.

The busses to where her potential employers are would ensure that she would always be late.

She would move to that side of the city, but she has to have a job for landlords to rent to her.

Ensuring that only drives can survive in here.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

There's plenty that CAN/COULD be done , but the clowns running this village haven't a clue how to do it .
    Galway goes from one fxxk up to the next .
    Eyre square plaza .
    Cobble stones on shop street .
    Volvo ocean race .
    European city of culture .
    Daily traffic .
    Literally the clowns are in charge of the lunatic asylum.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,814 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Bredabe wrote: »

The busses to where her potential employers are would ensure that she would always be late.

She would move to that side of the city, but she has to have a job for landlords to rent to her.

Get the job.

Get 1/2 an hour earlier and catch an earlier bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Been driving in and out for work for about 3 months now. The only time I really hit traffic is on Friday evenings now. It seems to have gotten bad on Fridays in July to now so maybe an increase with tourists coming in for the weekend. It will be interesting to see how bad it is in September when tourists are still around and schools are back.

Don't know if I'm in the minority but I find the few roundabouts that are still here operate more efficiently than the junctions. They really messed up with the left exit lanes on some of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Wompa 1
    It's so predictable when traffic gets nuts in galway .
    I drive for a living around the city .
    It really is a case of getting out of it at certain times .
    The same roads/ lights / roundabouts causing the major problems at the usual times .
    The standard of driving is also a major factor .
    It's the biggest issue in our city, has been for a few years , yet the clowns aren't doing a thing about it .
    The gardai or should I say the lack of Garda presence is another factor .
    It really is a city been operated like a village .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Wompa 1
    It's so predictable when traffic gets nuts in galway .
    I drive for a living around the city .
    It really is a case of getting out of it at certain times .
    The same roads/ lights / roundabouts causing the major problems at the usual times .
    The standard of driving is also a major factor .
    It's the biggest issue in our city, has been for a few years , yet the clowns aren't doing a thing about it .
    The gardai or should I say the lack of Garda presence is another factor .
    It really is a city been operated like a village .
    I always think lack of enforcement must be a big contributor that could easily be addressed. People drive through red lights and block up the junction for the next cycle and creates huge bottlenecks for everyone. A bit of enforcement would cut down on red light jumpers and should make every junction flow better

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Galway's traffic issues are affecting jobs. We have such a reputation for traffic problems that companies are deciding to set up elsewhere. It's one of a number of factors but it's an important one. Limerick is the biggest beneficiary over the last 5 years. Our council is very badly run and will not fix it anytime soon. Our TDs are also pretty lame.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Dane29

Exit road coming off quincentenary bridge but 2 cars cant fit into the 2 lanes as there is an island preventing it.
    Everyone trying their best to get out of the city to home but cant because the lights are not timed properly (Briarhill especially).

That's just two of many issues causing me pain every evening:mad::mad::mad:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Woodies on your left and getting onto the QB the green filter light seems to be on for a longer period now.
    However not that many cars can turn left because you can't access the left lane due to the cars queuing to go straight.

Very frustrating especially when you see a big green area to you left with scope to solve that issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

For a small city Galway seems to have bigger traffic issues than larger cities like Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭McGiver

Galway's traffic issues are affecting jobs. We have such a reputation for traffic problems that companies are deciding to set up elsewhere. It's one of a number of factors but it's an important one. Limerick is the biggest beneficiary over the last 5 years. Our council is very badly run and will not fix it anytime soon. Our TDs are also pretty lame.
    Spot on.

There has been a lot of construction and redevelopment in Limerick. Anyone can name any new development or redevelopment in Galway in last 5 years or 7 years, anyone, anything? Nothing...

For example in IT - there are way more job openings in Limerick vs Galway at the moment and I guess it will continue to be the case. Just checked one job website and it's 85 vs 39 openings.

Limerick also have better public transport and cycle paths btw.
    Limerick is so much ahead in development at this stage that I think Galway can't catch up anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Exiting the Galway Shopping Centre on the Sean Mulvoy side, cars wanting to go left cant because of the path in their way so the have to join with cars going onto the Bridge, does anyone in the Council EVER come out to see the mess that they have created there are so many things they could do to ease the flow. As for the Corrib Park roundabout its a total free for all with all lanes going left no one takes any bit of notice what's going on there.

For a small city Galway seems to have bigger traffic issues than larger cities like Limerick.
    Never been a city. It's a large village/town and it's stuck at that stage. Many of the locals also don't want it to become a city, yet they complain about the traffic.
    EDIT: You can't have huge town with no traffic solution in place. Traffic solution happens happens when you transform into a city.

Dane29 wrote: »
    Exit road coming off quincentenary bridge but 2 cars cant fit into the 2 lanes as there is an island preventing it.
    Everyone trying their best to get out of the city to home but cant because the lights are not timed properly (Briarhill especially).

That's just two of many issues causing me pain every evening:mad::mad::mad:.
    These are details. The core issue that the city is abysmally planned and governed. Everything stems from that.

And Local Election results for example in the Galway City East - 3 retiree age incumbents who have been there for 15 years and caused this shíte reelected, 2 new populists with good looking faces elected, and just 1 young fella who could maybe bring some fresh ideas into the rotten place, none of the other 5 will make any change that's needed to fix the issues. There is no help if people don't run or don't bother challenging status quo at the ballot box.

xckjoo wrote: »
    I always think lack of enforcement must be a big contributor that could easily be addressed. People drive through red lights and block up the junction for the next cycle and creates huge bottlenecks for everyone. A bit of enforcement would cut down on red light jumpers and should make every junction flow better
    Not driving up to the speed limit, blocking yellow boxes and moving too slowly from the lights are three biggest issues causing traffic jams.

McGiver wrote: »
    Not driving up to the speed limit, blocking yellow boxes and moving too slowly from the lights are three biggest issues causing traffic jams.
    Faster isn't always better. I've a theory that slower speeds at peak times would allow for a more continuous flow and increase throughput, but it would never fly even if it was proven beyond doubt.

We really do have the most illogical approach to traffic lights. People speed up when it's turning red and then fall asleep/space out on their phone while they wait for it to turn green.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 IsosKramer

The metropolis of Limerick (including the Clare suburbs) has just over 90,000.
    "Small" Galway has c 80,000. 85000 is a game-changer?!!
    Mind you, like the 200 more houses announced for Oranmore this week, Galway's population growth won't accurately reflect what has been happening there. Because of the price of land/houses, all the potential buyers have bought outside the city in Oranmore
    , Claregalway, Moycullen etc so the population figure within the city limits is unlikely to change.

xckjoo wrote: »
    Faster isn't always better. I've a theory that slower speeds at peak times would allow for a more continuous flow and increase throughput, but it would never fly even if it was proven beyond doubt.

We really do have the most illogical approach to traffic lights. People speed up when it's turning red and then fall asleep/space out on their phone while they wait for it to turn green.

Speeding up from light to light is also wrong for sure. But going 60 at 80 kph road - Dublin road from Galway Crystal every day - is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Speeding up from light to light is also wrong for sure. But going 60 at 80 kph road - Dublin road from Galway Crystal every day - is wrong.

The stretch of road from the roundabout by Dunnes up to the Tuam Rd being 50 the whole way is insane also, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

IsosKramer wrote: »

Mind you, like the 200 more houses announced for Oranmore this week, Galway's population growth won't accurately reflect what has been happening there. Because of the price of land/houses, all the potential buyers have bought outside the city in Oranmore
    , Claregalway, Moycullen etc so the population figure within the city limits is unlikely to change.
    Yeah but I mean the actual city centre is small. Sure you would trot around the city centre in 25 minutes!

Wompa1 wrote: »
    The stretch of road from the roundabout by Dunnes up to the Tuam Rd being 50 the whole way is insane also, imo.
    Maybe because it's a stroad? But yeah that would be at least 60 or likely 80 elsewhere.

Not sure why 60 kph isn't used more often around here. When I lived in Oxford, speed limits were more gradual and tailored, kept changing more than here as per the respective situation - 20, 30, 40, 50 mph. Most of Galway is 50 kph (30 mph) which is wrong. It should be 30 and 60 in many places, and could be 80 at some other ones.

Limerick is more compact, higher density. Always has been a city since the Middle Ages and the city center is larger.

Galway is more sprawled, tiny centre, never was a city proper (with city rights, king's charter) and is essentially an overgrown village surrounded by other villages, with rural mentality dominating significant % of the population and the Local Authority especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,814 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Anyone can name any new development or redevelopment in Galway in last 5 years or 7 years, anyone, anything? Nothing...

For example in IT - there are way more job openings in Limerick vs Galway at the moment and I guess it will continue to be the case. Just checked one job website and it's 85 vs 39 openings.

Limerick also have better public transport and cycle paths btw.

Bonham Quay.

Merit Medical building 2.

Medtronic did a new customer experience Centre or some such in that timeframe.

HP's new building.

The new as yet untenanted building in Parkmore East, and its neighbour currently under construction.

Total gutting and rebuilding of most of the Hynes building for MetLife.

IMHO Galway has better public transport than Limerick, but worse provision for bicycles. How many Limerick bus routes run every 6 minutes during the day?

bobbyss wrote: »
    Woodies on your left and getting onto the QB the green filter light seems to be on for a longer period now.
    However not that many cars can turn left because you can't access the left lane due to the cars queuing to go straight.

Very frustrating especially when you see a big green area to you left with scope to solve that issue.

I make this left sometimes and it’s extremely annoying, if I’ve the 4x4 with me I’ve been know to use the footpath to get past the traffic blocking access to the left turning lane :eek:

It’s a silly design to begin with though it should have been a proper slip lane onto the bridge with a flashing amber not a left turn that often has a needless red.

I make this left sometimes and it’s extremely annoying, if I’ve the 4x4 with me I’ve been know to use the footpath to get past the traffic blocking access to the left turning lane :eek:

It’s a silly design to begin with though it should have been a proper slip lane onto the bridge with a flashing amber not a left turn that often has a needless red.
    The red is for pedestrians as much as to stop idiots pulling out in front of other cars. Not that red lights seem to save people from getting run over in this area :(

Bonham Quay.

Merit Medical building 2.

Medtronic did a new customer experience Centre or some such in that timeframe.

HP's new building.

The new as yet untenanted building in Parkmore East, and its neighbour currently under construction.

Total gutting and rebuilding of most of the Hynes building for MetLife.

IMHO Galway has better public transport than Limerick, but worse provision for bicycles. How many Limerick bus routes run every 6 minutes during the day?

I've been in Galway for 5 years and I haven't seen anything new. Oh sorry, reconstruction of the Eyre Square mall, alright :cool:

Bonham Q has just started construction. Most of what you mentioned revolves around Parkmore and/or medical devices stuff, that's too little. Go and see Limerick.

I should have been more clearer - name one development in, let's say extended, city centre....

Which Galway route runs every 6 minutes, real life scenario? How many come and reach on time? Please tell me.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 IsosKramer

Yeah but I mean the actual city centre is small. Sure you would trot around the city centre in 25 minutes!

Fair enough, though I think Galway's suburbs are more impressive.Having said that, Harstonge Street to Patrick Street is only a few hundred metres long. I could trot from the Vic to Arthur's Quay in very little time, back in the day! Similarly, Parnell Street to Sarsfield Street. Population is the only criterion that matters and there's nothing in it. Even when it comes to numbers employed, they're almost identical, per the 2016 census, at about 44,000.
    If the Galway-is-terrible-in-every-way threads were removed from boards, there would be a big gap to fill.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, though I think Galway's suburbs are more impressive.Having said that, Harstonge Street to Patrick Street is only a few hundred metres long. I could trot from the Vic to Arthur's Quay in very little time, back in the day! Similarly, Parnell Street to Sarsfield Street. Population is the only criterion that matters and there's nothing in it. Even when it comes to numbers employed, they're almost identical, per the 2016 census, at about 44,000.
    If the Galway-is-terrible-in-every-way threads were removed from boards, there would be a big gap to fill.
    So why there seems to be more development and business activity with associated more job openings in Limerick?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement