Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tony Hawks 1 & 2 Remastered!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,155 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The PR is a bit confusingly worded on the subject, but do we know if the game is 60 FPS on base consoles? Torn between PS4 and PC: know PC will run well, but also need a decent couch chill out game and will always associate THPS with a PS controller anyway! My impression is that it runs at 60 across the board (or at least aims to) so that’d be enough to draw me towards PS4 if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

J. Marston wrote: »
    I really hope they do THPS3. Put countless hours into it.

Absolutely loved that game. Didn't have a notion about the Tony Hawk games or skateboarding in general, but got that game as a Christmas present that year and put serious time into it. Hopefully if this game does well they might do a remaster of 3 too.

Never played 1 or 2 at all, but this seems to be getting good feedback so far and that it just "feels right" compared to loads of Tony Hawks games in recent years, so I'll probably pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭McFly85

I think the demo as a pre order bonus was a nice touch. I, like many people it seems, but countless hours into the original warehouse demo with my friends. I didn’t get the whole game until it was in the platinum range, and obviously they didn’t want to risk people just playing the demo!

On the gameplay itself they’ve done an exceptional job, really nailed the feeling of the old games. I can’t wait for the full release!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I'm sorry, but it's not a demo to me, if you have to buy the finished product to play it!

Should be for everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Very excited for this to come out. Glad they got so much of the original soundtrack too. That's why if they couldn't get the rights to the songs for thps3 and beyond they shouldn't do them because so much of those games is just the sound of them, never mind the gameplay (which is phenomenal too and close to perfect in my eyes with thps3)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

It's funny, 4 months ago I couldn't wait for this game... then Session and SkaterXL hit... now I can't even be arsed to try the demo haha. Although THPS1-3 don't do it for me, 4 and onwards are better games.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,526 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    It's funny, 4 months ago I couldn't wait for this game... then Session and SkaterXL hit... now I can't even be arsed to try the demo haha. Although THPS1-3 don't do it for me, 4 and onwards are better games.

I was the opposite. I was thinking i was over three arcadey skateboarding games and couldn't go back after skate. Bought Skater XL and now i can't wait for THPS because it made me realise i prefer having fun over having simulation with skating games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Played the demo a couple of times, it's looks very good and plays excellent. Can't wait for the full version

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I was the opposite. I was thinking i was over three arcadey skateboarding games and couldn't go back after skate. Bought Skater XL and now i can't wait for THPS because it made me realise i prefer having fun over having simulation with skating games.

Weird comment, like SkaterXL isn't fun.

Weird comment, like SkaterXL isn't fun.

Yupp boring as ****. Great if all you want is a free roam skate game but no goals, no proper challenges, handful of maps, no pedestrians or moving vehicles and no multiplayer. I'm glad i didn't pay 40 quid at least.

Tony hawk's looks to be brimming with content for 40 quid. Should have released the demo to all though and maybe 3 day early access for pre orders, would have made a lot more sense.

• Advertisement

Yupp boring as ****. Great if all you want is a free roam skate game but no goals, no proper challenges, handful of maps, no pedestrians or moving vehicles and no multiplayer. I'm glad i didn't pay 40 quid at least.

Tony hawk's looks to be brimming with content for 40 quid. Should have released the demo to all though and maybe 3 day early access for pre orders, would have made a lot more sense.

I feel the same about the first 3 THPS games, boring and lifeless, once we got the THPS4 and THUG that's when TH became the games I loved. I suppose SkaterXL and Session are aimed at people who love skating and not gamers.

I feel the same about the first 3 THPS games, boring and lifeless, once we got the THPS4 and THUG that's when TH became the games I loved. I suppose SkaterXL and Session are aimed at people who love skating and not gamers.

Skater XL definitely feels like a skaters game. I haven't skated in over 20 years. I love it, i love watching it but that game just wasn't for me. Roll on THUG remaster!

Skater XL definitely feels like a skaters game. I haven't skated in over 20 years. I love it, i love watching it but that game just wasn't for me. Roll on THUG remaster!

Oh man imagine a THUG remaster.

Just thinking of Eric Sparrow is getting me a bit wound up

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,155 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

THUG (and indeed THPS4) is kinda like season nine of The Simpsons. There’s the general sense of what you liked in the earlier stuff, and fun to be had. But you get the creeping sense that a shark is in the process of being jumped (that would make a good gap in a THPS game actually - they had a bull after all).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

THUG (and indeed THPS4) is kinda like season nine of The Simpsons. There’s the general sense of what you liked in the earlier stuff, and fun to be had. But you get the creeping sense that a shark is in the process of being jumped (that would make a good gap in a THPS game actually - they had a bull after all).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Just thinking of Eric Sparrow is getting me a bit wound up

Gaming's greatest villain.

THPS4, THUG1/2 and THAW were the pinnacle of gameplay, they just mastered it, most don't like the THUG2 story but the classic mode was class same for THAW, I remember getting my 360 when it came out and playing THAW for weeks, THP8 was my first ever experience with online gaming too. Great memories.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,868 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I didn't think there were people that thought the later TH games were better?

For me there's nothing that comes close to those first 3 games. Put me in a carefully crafted arena and give me a time limit to get a score however way I see fit. It's pure unadulterated gameplay. Bliss.

I absolutely loved 1-4 but also loved the story in THUG's. For some reason, Marseille level in THPS2 holds a special place in my heart. Must have been because it was a demo, I can't really remember but that level is burned into my brain and at one point, I believed I was the greatest player in the world at that level :pac:

Remembering back, I thought it was in THPS 3 so the fact I'll get to play it again in the remaster has me giddy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭recyclops

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I didn't think there were people that thought the later TH games were better?

For me there's nothing that comes close to those first 3 games. Put me in a carefully crafted arena and give me a time limit to get a score however way I see fit. It's pure unadulterated gameplay. Bliss.

few mates round, few beers and the ps classic can still bring that level of gaming that is somehow missing in modern games.

recyclops wrote: »
    few mates round, few beers and the ps classic can still bring that level of gaming that is somehow missing in modern games.

I'm really looking forward to the multiplayer options in this. I used to love the local co-op graffiti. As much as Battle Royale is overused these days, I'd love to have a bunch of skaters all racing to collect Skate or tag spots.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,868 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

recyclops wrote: »

It feels like an old school arcade game to me. There's no storyline just pure unadulterated gameplay. You and your inventiveness to use the world to do crazy stuff.

Also the graffiti/tagging multiplayer mode is so underappreciated. I wonder if they will expand on it. Can only imagine how much fun it could be in 4 player couch multiplayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,563 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I would love this. Hopefully the upcoming 1&2 are a huge success and we see THUG & THUG2 a few years down the line. I reckon I played through THUG at least 30 times.

Underground was the first time I was exposed to Kiss

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Underground was the first time I was exposed to Kiss

Same.

sugarman wrote: »
    Same!

THPS 1-4 were untouchable in terms of quality game play and level designs. Everything just flowed so well.. the goals were perfect. Sound tracks were incredible. They were just real quality, fun games that had so much replay ability.

THUG 1&2 were a completely different kettle of fish but continuing on what was great about the original series with added quirkiness of the Jackass element. Still really great games.

American Wasteland was the last decent game in the series IMO. It tried hard to go back to the basics but fell short somewhat. It still has decent game play and nice levels that flow.

Project 8 was just dirt. Game play was ok but the level designs were all over the place. Nothing flowed. Story/goals was meh ..and they tried too hard to be "with it" with the gimmicky phone features and social media etc.. along with a fairly poor sound track. It was just a mess.

Proving Ground was a bit of an improvement, but it was trying to be more like the Skate series and lost connection with what the TH series was all about.

The rest arent worth typing about.

I just never liked the older games, it was boring just doing the same 10 goals over and over in 2 minutes in tiny maps, I used to load up the game, enter cheats and just free skate for hours, that's why I loved 4 onwards, you could do what you like and once the ability to get off the board came into it that's just the icing on the cake for me.

I still have fond memories of Project 8, loved the nail and trick thing they added and it felt more realistic, closer to what skateboarding actually is. Do a line is more my style than get a 1mil combo. The big open levels I enjoy more.

I'd say it's more. a generational thing now, with so many games there is 3 generations of TH fans, the 1-3 crowd, the 4-AW crowd and the "realistic" crowd.

I'd say it's more. a generational thing now, with so many games there is 3 generations of TH fans, the 1-3 crowd, the 4-AW crowd and the "realistic" crowd.

Only 2 generations for me, the 1-3 crowd and the WRONG! crowd.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Only 2 generations for me, the 1-3 crowd and the WRONG! crowd.

You're opinion.

• Advertisement

This is a great watch, I forgot how much THUG 2 lost it's way but it's great to see the whole franchise in one video.

Advertisement