Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Universe is AWESOME!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

If the universe is expanding than what is it expanding in to?

The void between parallel universes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

valoren wrote: »
    I like to think that with the heat death of the universe after all the stars burn out nothing will be left except the litany of blackholes which have grabbed all the matter they can over trillions of years. Trillions of years later, with no matter left to attract, these same blackholes will eventually come together to form an unimaginably enormous solitary black hole. The singularity at it's centre becoming literally the centre of the universe. Due to quantum fluctuations at it's event horizon, this remaining blackhole, which contains all of the matter the universe once contained will slowly reduce in size over another spate of a few trillion years. In time, it will just become a singularity where time itself stops. Who knows it might, after another trillion years this singularity, now the size of an atom, might just explode and go through the whole process again. And again. And again.........

It will be big bang 2.....

The big bang we know of could have been big bang 9 or 28!!!!!

42 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭facehugger99

If the universe is expanding than what is it expanding in to?

Your ma.

Because she's so fat or is having sex with the universe.

You can read it either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Relikk wrote: »
    You insinuated that the word doesn't apply with regard to the subject matter of the thread. It most definitely does apply.

Great story, needs more dragons and shlt.
    I insinuated no such thing and in fact didn't refer to the subject of the thread in any way whatsoever. As an aside I merely expressed my dislike for the overuse of the word by americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,447 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

If the universe is expanding it has to be expanding in to something. Is it just nothing (nothing is something?) ? Infinite space?

These are questions so big i'm not sure humans could understand...profound really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

All of this has happened before, and it will all happen again.

I’m hoping for more excitement next time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭garbo speaks

valoren wrote: »
    I like to think that with the heat death of the universe after all the stars burn out nothing will be left except the litany of blackholes which have grabbed all the matter they can over trillions of years. Trillions of years later, with no matter left to attract, these same blackholes will eventually come together to form an unimaginably enormous solitary black hole. The singularity at it's centre becoming literally the centre of the universe. Due to quantum fluctuations at it's event horizon, this remaining blackhole, which contains all of the matter the universe once contained will slowly reduce in size over another spate of a few trillion years. In time, it will just become a singularity where time itself stops. Who knows it might, after another trillion years this singularity, now the size of an atom, might just explode and go through the whole process again. And again. And again.........

I thought Timothy Dalton was a great James Bond.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

...Septics have ruined that word...

Are you an anti-septic?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

"In the beginning the Universe was created.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded
    as a bad move.

Many races believe that it was created by some sort of God,
    though the Jatravartid people of Viltvodle VI believe that the
    entire Universe was in fact sneezed out of the nose of a being
    called the Great Green Arkleseizure.

The Jatravartids, who live in perpetual fear of the time they
    call The Coming of The Great White Handkerchief, are small blue
    creatures with more than fifty arms each, who are therefore
    unique in being the only race in history to have invented the
    aerosol deodorant before the wheel.

However, the Great Green Arkleseizure Theory is not widely
    accepted outside Viltvodle VI and so, the Universe being the
    puzzling place it is, other explanations are constantly being
    sought."

- Douglas Adams,

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I thought Timothy Dalton was a great James Bond.

p0107cv2.jpg
    Time Lords are awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

Big Bang 2
    Bang Harder

• Registered Users Posts: 31,831 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Have you seen the documentary the farthest? Terrific stuff highly recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

verycool wrote: »

I count 43.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

The little Milky Way alone is flush with billions of potentially habitable planets - and that's just one sliver of the universe (there are billions of other galaxies to choose from).

In total around about 6 sextillion (x21 zeros) possible habitable planets in the universe, more than there is individual specs/grains of sand on all of the earths beaches combined.

Intelligent life on other worlds is not inevitable. After 12 billion years there should be billions of unmanned probes randomly traversing the universe if intelligent life is inevitable.
    Why have none ever crashed into the Moon or Mars.
    Even we have half a dozen floating around in space, a few have already left our solar system. Multiply that by 6 sextillion and some should have come our way after 12 billion years.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

So where do we fit in with all this awesomeness ? We observe it for our life time, and then unless there is an afterlife of some form or other, our memory is no longer - we may as well have never existed, nor the universe itself.

Intelligent life on other worlds is not inevitable.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Intelligent life on other worlds is not inevitable. After 12 billion years there should be billions of unmanned probes randomly traversing the universe if intelligent life is inevitable.
    Why have none ever crashed into the Moon or Mars.
    Even we have half a dozen floating around in space, a few have already left our solar system. Multiply that by 6 sextillion and some should have come our way after 12 billion years.

That's an interesting point. Why do you think that we haven't encountered life from another planet?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Imagine my disappointment when I tuned into `You`re a star` one day

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭AllForIt

That's an interesting point. Why do you think that we haven't encountered life from another planet?

Because if they have the capability to either get here or send us a signal from afar then they must be very intelligent and since their very intelligent they wouldn't want to come here, would they.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Diamonds found in a meteorite (ureilite) that exploded over the Nubian desert in Sudan a decade ago, were formed deep inside a “lost planet” (at pressures greater than 20 gigapascals).

This likely was one of the first planets to circle the sun before they collided with each other to create the actual planets we have today.

If a bit of aul meteorite should land upon your foot, it's lucky times. Space rock is worth more than gold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

If the universe is expanding it has to be expanding in to something. Is it just nothing (nothing is something?) ? Infinite space?

These are questions so big i'm not sure humans could understand...profound really.

Well, I don't really think that the end can be assessed as of itself as being the end because what does the end feel like? It's like saying when you try to extrapolate the end of the universe, you say, if the universe is indeed infinite, then how—what does that mean? How far is all the way, and then if it stops, what's stopping it, and what's behind what's stopping it? So, what's the end, you know, is my question to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

No alien worth is salt would fancy spending 60 years travelling at the speed of light to get to Earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

It's actually very simple - the vast majority of people can't appreciate the sheer scale of just our galaxy, let alone the Universe.

Let's put it this way - Earth's oceans are brimming with fish. We know it, we've seen them and...came up with delicious recipes using them :D

But let's say there's a guy who has never seen a fish; Just heard stories about these creatures. He goes to the coast and takes a look for himself by scooping up a drinking glass of water from the sea. There are no fish in it.

We, as a species and civilization, are the guy staring at a glass of sea water with no fish in it - would it be reasonable to assume the ocean to be a barren expanse based on that observation?

(I *might* have lifted that example out of Neil DeGrasse Tyson's "Star Talk" podcast!)

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    It's actually very simple - the vast majority of people can't appreciate the sheer scale of just our galaxy, let alone the Universe.

Let's put it this way - Earth's oceans are brimming with fish. We know it, we've seen them and...came up with delicious recipes using them :D

But let's say there's a guy who has never seen a fish; Just heard stories about these creatures. He goes to the coast and takes a look for himself by scooping up a drinking glass of water from the sea. There are no fish in it.

We, as a species and civilization, are the guy staring at a glass of sea water with no fish in it - would it be reasonable to assume the ocean to be a barren expanse based on that observation?

(I *might* have lifted that example out of Neil DeGrasse Tyson's "Star Talk" podcast!)

It's a very good example. I agree with your thesis. In the same vein, such is the incomprehensible size of the universe, it's as if we are examining a grain of sand for life and concluding that there is no life in the Sahara. Unless we consider the possibility of intelligent design (not for this thread and, personally, I don't), then logic dictates that there must be life and intelligent life elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

It's a very good example. I agree with your thesis. In the same vein, such is the incomprehensible size of the universe, it's as if we are examining a grain of sand for life and concluding that there is no life in the Sahara. Unless we consider the possibility of intelligent design (not for this thread and, personally, I don't), then logic dictates that there must be life and intelligent life elsewhere.

The numbers sure suggest it don't they?

Be a helluva coincidence if it was just our little planet that somehow managed to have the right conditions for life no?

As for intelligent design ....let's say for a moment there was intelligent design....why would he/she/it have stopped just with us? Would we be a failed experiment? Did he/she/it create this whole massive universe and then go....ah ****it I screwed up with the humans so I'm just gonna give up and go away :confused:

Wouldn't seem overly intelligent if you ask me.

wexie wrote: »
    The numbers sure suggest it don't they?

Be a helluva coincidence if it was just our little planet that somehow managed to have the right conditions for life no?

As for intelligent design ....let's say for a moment there was intelligent design....why would he/she/it have stopped just with us? Would we be a failed experiment? Did he/she/it create this whole massive universe and then go....ah ****it I screwed up with the humans so I'm just gonna give up and go away :confused:

Wouldn't seem overly intelligent if you ask me.

On that, I've often wondered if some superintelligent being was experimenting in a lab and the experiment went wrong thus creating the Big Bang. The lab has been destroyed in the explosion, as has the superintelligent being, and we are shrapnel flying through space. I think that theory is as plausible as any other theory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

On that, I've often wondered if some superintelligent being was experimenting in a lab and the experiment went wrong thus creating the Big Bang. The lab has been destroyed in the explosion, as has the superintelligent being, and we are shrapnel flying through space. I think that theory is as plausible as any other theory.

Now there's a happy outlook on life and humanity :
    We're all just some cosmic screwup

Mind, opening a newspaper would (most days) suggest perhaps it wouldn't be so far fetched :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Watch it in full screen 4K ... Incredible !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

H3llR4iser wrote: »

Agreed.

A photon of light travels at just under 300 million metres per second in a vacuum and it would take that photon 100,000 years to traverse our Milky Way galaxy alone.

Closer to home in our own solar system, Pluto orbits the Sun at an average distance of 3.7 billions miles.

Driving at 65 mph non-stop, you would cross continental USA in one week. Taking a 'direct' drive at the same speed, you'd reach Pluto in, give or take a decade or two, 6,293 years. If you instead chose to go by Boeing 777 at it's maximum speed of 590 mph, if you started the trip back in 1338 AD, 680 years ago, you'd reach Pluto in the next day or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

It blows my mind galaxies we see light years away are exactly that. Snapshots in time millions of years ago.

Civilizations and intelligence could have existed and wiped out from a meteor or dying sun and we will never know.

Advertisement