Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Universe is AWESOME!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Georges Lemaître birthday today, has he gotten a mentioned today?
    He made some serious contributions to our understanding of the universe.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

[evil Picard]

I read that actually.. It was great :) I never liked the direction they went in DS9 but it was redeemed by that series.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I read that actually.. It was great :) I never liked the direction they went in DS9 but it was redeemed by that series.

The auld Battered Stargazer looked awesome. They were great issues.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,451 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Are we still on for 2024?

It would be hilarious if, with Brexit, it actually was 2024.

• Advertisement

I don't know what it is but it sounds dangerous. Sign me up!

A meteor filmed in Australia yesterday

A pair of Japanese rovers have sent back a group of photos and the first-ever video recorded on the surface of an asteroid

https://twitter.com/haya2e_jaxa/status/1045278816619261953
    Japan’s MINERVA-II rovers - MINERVA II2 and MINERVA II1 - traversed the surface of Ryugu, an asteroid located 174 million miles from Earth's surface and documented what they found.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

At least we know the Japanese will save us when Armageddon happens, considering Bruce is a bit old now. Still up for letting Afleck do the job though, especially if he doesn't come back!

Sun taken this month.

SpotlessSunIss_Colacurcio_960.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭Liamalone

I farted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Sun taken this month.

SpotlessSunIss_Colacurcio_960.jpg

Is that the ISS or a TIE Fighter in the foreground ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭josip

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Our sun is big by human terms

4445502665_a7e57fb00b_b.jpgl

But absolutely tiny when compared to the biggest stars in the galaxy.

fzgYoYj7tPHKSGWepRsfh-650-80.jpg

If you put UY Scuti in he place of our sun it' would likely reach as far as orbit of Saturn.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 474 ✭✭Former Observer

Meh. Pales in comparison to human music, art and literature.

Nice photoshop skills though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Now I understand why you are a former observer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

JupiterKid wrote: »
    It is indeed OP. That’s why I’ve had an interest in astronomy since I was about 17.

Just look at this close up image of the atmosphere of the planet Jupiter, taken by the orbiting Juno probe. Surreal!!:cool:

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5zcGFjZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzA3My8xNzgvb3JpZ2luYWwvanVwaXRlcnMtY2xvdWQtdG9wcy5qcGc=

Looks scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Such a non sequitur. What's even the relation? Star = science "versus" stuff from "arts". It's like seeing a photo of a mountain and saying "it's no Proust". It's as tiresome as when people in science tell me they don't read poetry because it's not logical enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 474 ✭✭Former Observer

Fourier wrote: »
    Such a non sequitur. What's even the relation? Star = science "versus" stuff from "arts". It's like seeing a photo of a mountain and saying "it's no Proust". It's as tiresome as when people in science tell me they don't read poetry because it's not logical enough.

I'm just not that impressed by it. You should be able to accept that. The vast, vast majority of human beings are endlessly fascinated by the stars. It would be boring if we all liked the same things.

I believe that the material universe corresponds to our perception of it. Orthodox, materialist thinking has created a nihilistic universe. Expectation is what creates reality, and in an age of pure mytholgy and metaphor the universe could be a lot of things more interesting than empty space and burning gasses passed through through a few photoshop filters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Intelligent life on other worlds is not inevitable. After 12 billion years there should be billions of unmanned probes randomly traversing the universe if intelligent life is inevitable. Why have none ever crashed into the Moon or Mars. Even we have half a dozen floating around in space, a few have already left our solar system. Multiply that by 6 sextillion and some should have come our way after 12 billion years.

I know I'm quoting an old post but just one thing on this...

Our Galaxy the milkyway has over 100 billion stars, it may be possible that only a small percentage harbour intelligent life.
    Let's say 1 million stars harbored intelligent life and let's say on average each civilisation sent out 1000 probes to other systems then there would only be a 1% or less chance a probe would have made it to our system.
    I could be wrong on my figures, I'm sure some will point it out if I am wrong..

Also I think any probes that crashed into Mars millions of years ago would be buried in dust now and all signs would probably be well gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Our Galaxy the milkyway has over 100 billion stars, it may be possible that only a small percentage harbour intelligent life.

Well the way I heard it from some chap on tv the other night was that there are approximately 100 billion stars in the galaxy. I thought to myself that’s a nice round number, nice to know they’re all accounted for..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Think it's closer to 300 billion now, incredible really.
    and the around the same amount of galaxies in the universe.

It just blows my mind.

This always blows my mind too ... just a section of the Andromeda

4K version if you can support it - https://youtu.be/udAL48P5NJU

• Registered Users Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

international space station live https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4993sBLAzGA

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Mountains of Mars as seen by the Curiosity rover, shortly after landing in 2012.

file715zfkti08258ukljy7-1544701419.jpg?itok=wXlhI-Xu

That's Co Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

That's Co Wicklow.

Nope. It's the Burren.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Speaking of mountains on Mars, Olympus Mons is not only tallest mountain on Mars its the tallest in our solar system. At 16 miles or 72,000 feet in height its almost three times as tall as Mount Everest.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Speaking of mountains on Mars, Olympus Mons is not only tallest mountain on Mars its the tallest in our solar system. At 16 miles or 72,000 feet in height its almost three times as tall as Mount Everest.

And apparently the slope is so gentle, you can't see the peak, there is a horizon on the mountainside ....
    :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

rossie1977 wrote: »

Not anymore. It lost that title to the peak in the Rheasilvia crater on the asteroid Vesta.

Advertisement