Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Universe is AWESOME!

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Adyx wrote: »
    I really wish they wouldn't anthropomorphise the rovers. I always think of that depressing XKCD comic.

DzVuy56U8AAekFR.png

The tide is turning…

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Adyx wrote: »
    I really wish they wouldn't anthropomorphise the rovers. I always think of that depressing XKCD comic.

opportunity.png

We all remember those famous first words spoken by an astronaut on the surface of Mars: "That's one small step fo- HOLY **** LOOK OUT IT'S GOT SOME KIND OF DRILL! Get back to the ... [unintelligible] ... [signal lost]"

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Carl Sagan's star stuff quote was "stellar" (pun intended), however, I'm far more impressed with Neil deGrasse Tyson's "most astounding fact".
    “The most astounding fact.. is the knowledge, that the atoms that comprise life on Earth – the atoms that make up the human body – are traceable to the crucibles that cooked light elements into heavy elements in their core, under extreme temperatures and pressures.

These stars, the high mass ones among them, went unstable in their later years. They collapsed and then exploded, scattering their enriched guts across the galaxy: guts made of Carbon, Nitrogen, Oxygen, and all of the fundamental ingredients of life itself. These ingredients become parts of gas clouds that condense, collapse, form the next generation of solar systems – stars with orbiting planets – and those planets now have the ingredients for life itself.

So that when I look up at the night sky and I know that, yes, we are part of this universe, we are in this universe, but perhaps more important than both of those facts is that the universe is in us. When I reflect on that fact, I look up, many people feel small – ’cause they’re small and the universe is big – but I feel big. because, my atoms came from those stars.

There’s a level of connectivity. That’s really what you want in life. You want to feel connected, want to feel relevant. You want to feel like you’re a participant in the goings on of activities and events around you. That’s precisely what we are, just by being alive.”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Detritus70 wrote: »
    The universe is still awesome, but this planet isn't, because it's entirely inhabited by people.

And cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,453 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

"Humans are actually made from stardust"

... or "nuclear waste" if you look at it another way.

5290acd4afb5a7b67d45e6ef9ea389a4.gif

Whom ever can tell us who delivered that "nuclear waste" line gets a cookie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Always feel in awe of it all when outside in nights like this.

I live rurally, and next to no light pollution.
    I just went a walk around the house, and its so dark I have to walk slowly in case I bang into the car as you can literally see nothing except the odd light from the neighbours.

But just standing for a few minutes and looking at the night sky is amazing. Makes you feel so small!

Nice vid re super massive black hole at the center of our galaxy showing stars orbiting the singularity at phenomenal, unimaginable speeds

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

“You develop an instant global consciousness, a people orientation, an intense dissatisfaction with the state of the world, and a compulsion to do something about it. From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch.”

― Edgar Mitchell

The small helicopter 'Ingenuity' has been deployed on Mars. First flight in a few days around the 11th

EyeqfUKUYAIlfxj?format=jpg&name=medium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Absolutely fascinating watching animation earlier of "our" drone/helicopter that will be taking flight in about 1/2 hour on Mars. It was only just over 100 years ago that we managed powered flight on Earth, and now we are doing it on another planet. Mind-boggling, and a testimony to what humans can do in a collective effort.
    You can watch it live here:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Big deal for SpaceX

Now if only he can fcuk off with all his satellites

Incidentally space junk is kinda becoming a big deal. It only takes a spec to do serious damage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_debris

SpaceX/NASA is making their3rd launch to ISS is in next hour. Live coverage here...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭josip

I find it strange to be watching a SpaceX launch with a countdown.
    So many hours spent watching Boca Chica, waiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

• Registered Users Posts: 17,253 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Wow, they could do with some of those Moxie machines in India at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭FrankN1

A bit more on this in light of Starlink. I do wonder about the wisdom of this project and others in the medium to long term.

Advertisement