Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Universe is AWESOME!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

AllForIt wrote: »
    Maybe it's not expanding. Maybe it's being pulled.

Being pulled by nothing into nothing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

nice bit of an aul universe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭AllForIt

GreeBo wrote: »
    Being pulled by nothing into nothing?

No, but maybe there is something pulling it, that's my point. We don't know if there is anything beyond the universe. It's really hard for me to think that there is a universe that is only 13 billions years old, that there was nothing before and there will be nothing after. It doesn't make sense to me and it does't ring true.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Well it's not being pulled in any sense, the expansion of the universe is caused by the creation of extra space by the interaction between space and matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

No, but maybe there is something pulling it, that's my point. We don't know if there is anything beyond the universe. It's really hard for me to think that there is a universe that is only 13 billions years old, that there was nothing before and there will be nothing after. It doesn't make sense to me and it does't ring true.

How about a never ending cycle of expansion, eventual contraction then explosion .. again and again and again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,453 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

givyjoe wrote: »
    How about a never ending cycle of expansion, eventual contraction then explosion .. again and again and again

So this is eternity. I remember Bodanis mentioning this in one of his books.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Amazing Hubble Space telescope image of the “Pillars Of Creation” in the Eagle Nebula where new stars and solar systems are being born out of the thick gas and dust clouds.

1947px-Eagle_nebula_pillars.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,996 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Always thought that image looked like something drawn by a fantasy artist.

Have we any idea of scale of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭hgfj

A lot of people reckon there must be life elsewhere in the universe based simply on the numbers. Billions of galaxies each containing trillions of stars. I'm one of those people. I reckon the universe is teeming with life. But when it comes to intelligent life that may be a different story. Latest I heard was that life may have started on Earth within the first 400,000 years after the planet was formed. So far as we know intelligent life has occured only once on this planet. And that was a pure fluke. The dinosaurs roamed the Earth for about 160 million years and the last dinosaur was just as stupid as the first. Not that they didn't evolve but they just never evolved intelligence. It seems if conditions are right life will flourish in whatever form, but when it comes to intelligence it may be just a one off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,996 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That depends on how you define intelligence.

If there is other life out there, it might be on a completely different level of intelligence to us. We might look like dinosaurs in comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

NIMAN wrote: »
    Always thought that image looked like something drawn by a fantasy artist.

Have we any idea of scale of that?

They don't actually look like that. The colours were added after based on the elements that make up the cloud. Red represents Sulfur, blue is Oxygen and green is Hydrogen.

As for size, the left most pillar is about five light years tall. See those tiny little protrusions at the top? The entire Solar System would fit in one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭hgfj

NIMAN wrote: »
    That depends on how you define intelligence.

If there is other life out there, it might be on a completely different level of intelligence to us. We might look like dinosaurs in comparison.

Well we might look like dinosaurs compared to an advanced civilisaton but not necessarily unintelligent. Our anscestors 3,000 years ago were just as intelligent as we are, they just didn't have the knowledge we have today. Ignorance is not the same as unintelligence.

I think (I don't know of course) that sheer distances in the universe mean that we will never actually be able to go to other star systems. It's a depressing thought but many ask why have others out there not made contact with us? It could be that the scale of the distances involved make it physically impossible.

I hope not but that's my idea on it.

Small meteorite caught on CCTV a couple of days back in South Africa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

I think (I don't know of course) that sheer distances in the universe mean that we will never actually be able to go to other star systems. It's a depressing thought but many ask why have others out there not made contact with us? It could be that the scale of the distances involved make it physically impossible.

I hope not but that's my idea on it.
    Kurzgasget have a great video on how far we can theoretically go in the universe which is both astounding and a bit depressing.

https://youtu.be/ZL4yYHdDSWs

Their videos are brilliant, highly recommend watching them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Cina wrote: »
    Kurzgasget have a great video on how far we can theoretically go in the universe which is both astounding and a bit depressing.

https://youtu.be/ZL4yYHdDSWs

Their videos are brilliant, highly recommend watching them.
    Unfortunately from about 1:45 onward it descends into extreme speculation, relying on unproven assumptions about the long term evolution of Dark Energy and how it is structured.

2:25 - 2:52 repeats the "empty space is a bubbling pot filled with particles popping in and out of existence" myth. Empty space is simply empty. This is one of the cases where the pop science explanation is more confusing than what physics really says.

Note: This is not aimed at you, but the video itself, it's difficult to know these things are flawed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Brian Cox the BBC physicist explained it best: In a nutshell the universe is so big and the time so long that the chances of life existing on another planet at an advanced level at the same time as ours are extraordinary slim. So if we ever found evidence of the existence of life such as ours it may already be completely extinguished OR it would be so basic that by the time it became advanced we ourselves would be long gone.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Brian Cox the BBC physicist explained it best: In a nutshell the universe is so big and the time so long that the chances of life existing on another planet at an advanced level at the same time as ours are extraordinary slim. So if we ever found evidence of the existence of life such as ours it may already be completely extinguished OR it would be so basic that by the time it became advanced we ourselves would be long gone.
    We have already stopped sending information to the stars.

Far less high power analogue transmissions, just spikes of mains frequency and AM radio and Radar,

So NASA just announced in the last few minutes that they found evidence of organic matter on Mars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Ineedaname wrote: »
    So NASA just announced in the last few minutes that they found evidence of organic matter on Mars.

No matter how hard we try, that Japanese Knot-weed will spread everywhere.

B-D-P-- wrote: »

I’ve had experience dealing with the stuff so it wouldn’t surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Intelligent life on other worlds is not inevitable. After 12 billion years there should be billions of unmanned probes randomly traversing the universe if intelligent life is inevitable.
    Why have none ever crashed into the Moon or Mars.
    Even we have half a dozen floating around in space, a few have already left our solar system. Multiply that by 6 sextillion and some should have come our way after 12 billion years.

Im sure there are plenty of probes floating around space. Doesnt mean we can detect them or they are still operational.

A meteor between 2.6-3.8 meters in size burned up in south africa a few days ago. This is roughly the same size as the Voyager probes that we have sent out into deep space. The meteor was only detected a very short period of time before it burned up. Many many meters impact without ever being detected.

Eventually all probes will be caught by the gravity of something. Asteroids, suns, uninhabitable planets and crash. This is the most likely reason why the place isnt littered with them.

Also stuff still corrodes in space (slowly, but it does) If you have a probe flying through space for millions of years eventually it will corrode into a bundle of dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

B-D-P-- wrote: »

haha. I found an easy and cheap enough way to kill this stuff.

The stuff grows with a hollow stem.
    Just cut them down until you have the hollow stem about 30 cm sticking out of the ground. (Obviously dispose the cuttings safely and dont leave any trimmings lying around because it will grow another plant from bits you leave behind)

Just pour a little bit of white spirits into the hollow stem and leave it. The stem will dry up and die pretty quickly. In a few weeks just cut off the stem and leave the dead root. Not worth the hassle of digging it up. White Spirits decompose in soil so it wont make the ground toxic.

I did this last year with some quite large weeds and have had zero regrowth this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Im sure there are plenty of probes floating around space. Doesnt mean we can detect them or they are still operational.

A meteor between 2.6-3.8 meters in size burned up in south africa a few days ago. This is roughly the same size as the Voyager probes that we have sent out into deep space. The meteor was only detected a very short period of time before it burned up. Many many meters impact without ever being detected.

Eventually all probes will be caught by the gravity of something. Asteroids, suns, uninhabitable planets and crash. This is the most likely reason why the place isnt littered with them.

Also stuff still corrodes in space (slowly, but it does) If you have a probe flying through space for millions of years eventually it will corrode into a bundle of dust.

They don't need to be operational to crash into the Moon or Mars.
    Yet no sign of any collisions in 5 billion years.
    And in outer space, there is 0 (ZERO) corrosion of metal or plastic.
    Vacuums tend to do that.

Astronomers discover 12 new moons orbiting Jupiter - one on collision course with the others

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/jul/17/astronomers-discover-12-new-moons-orbiting-jupiter
    One of a dozen new moons discovered around Jupiter is circling the planet on a suicide orbit that will inevitably lead to its violent destruction, astronomers say.

Maniac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

What about face hugging aliens that lay eggs inside you? The universe can stay bloody far away as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Astronomers discover 12 new moons orbiting Jupiter - one on collision course with the others

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/jul/17/astronomers-discover-12-new-moons-orbiting-jupiter

Maniac
    Astronomers describe the twelfth new Jovian moon as an “oddball”. Less than a kilometre wide, the tiny body circles Jupiter on a prograde orbit but at a distance that means it crosses the path of other moons hurtling towards it. Scientists have named the new moon Valetudo after the Roman god Jupiter’s great-granddaughter, the goddess of health and hygiene. But given the impending violence, it may be more than coincidence that Vale Tudo, which translates from Portuguese as “anything goes”, is an early form of full-contact mixed martial arts.

I would have thought they call that crash moon Luna Trumpa. Would have been apt somehow.:D

Because:
    Valetudo Luna Trumpa is like driving down the highway on the wrong side of the road,” said Sheppard. “It is moving prograde while all the other objects at a similar distance from Jupiter are moving retrograde. Thus head-on collisions are likely.”

• Registered Users Posts: 28,667 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

skallywag wrote: »
    There is a theory describing this in Physics called Multiverse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiverse

While the math behind such a theory is sound, it remains the case that it would be highly unlikely if not indeed impossible for the theory to ever be proven by experiment, which in itself renders it pretty worthless to many in the science community.

It exists alright.. and in one of these universes, the Earth is the centre of the mighty Terran Empire and goatees are mandatory (cause they're evil and such!)

033.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    It exists alright.. and in one of these universes, the Earth is the centre of the mighty Terran Empire and goatees are mandatory (cause they're evil and such!)

033.jpg

36161067_266727057408386_8910775233196064768_n.jpg

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Advertisement