Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Actually I'm not sure how the nemesis system would hold up in court. I mean WB being complete soulless arseholes will drag you to court but iterative works are protected by copyright and the nemesis system isnt really something that should come under patent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Didn't I read though that copyright for "loading games" lapsed?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Would have by now as patents are for 20 years

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭Cordell

Generally speaking, even if you win a patent case brought against you, you still loose. That's why corporations are hoarding patents even if they aren't actively using them, to keep them as a deterrent against others, in a You sue me I sue you kind of mutually assured destruction strategy, because actually going to court is extremely expensive and usually not worth it even if you win. So no game dev or publisher wants to even be put in that position, to go to court even when the win is pretty much guaranteed, and WB knows that.

Oh 100% agree. No worth it at all. And then you have the patent trolls that keep going after the likes of Nintendo and Sony.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yeah, look at the Sonos-Google spat, still going on, despite multiple victories by Sonos, Google are still countersueing. All over something that could have been negotiated for peanuts overall for google.

System shock remake getting incredible reviews. Not surprising, the original is a timeless classic and it looks to be very faithful.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm trying to find out what exactly is patented. Like, is it the exact system they use, or would something simple like a remake of Dead Ball Zone be breaching their patent? DBZ was a PS1 game where the other team players were either clean or violent towards you depending on your previous games with them. They'd target your best player if they were losing. Would that be a breach? From what I can tell, the wording is so vague that anything that even remotely resembles it might be in breach. I've no issues with patenting very specific things, but if it prevents any kind of npc "memory", it's another crappy move in the world of gaming.

Copyright usually covers iterative works. Which is why you don't see Nintendo suing universal for making a awful Mario style platformer like crash bandicoot. This has also been tested in court with Capcom vs data east when Capcom deemed fighters destiny too close to sf2. Data east won.

Patents are usually for new technology or inventions. There's a description of what it has to be. One of the things is innovative so must not have been used before although this usually comes down to who patented it first.

So on this case it would be the nemesis system, how it works and it's code. Since it's patented if you came up with something similar it could be deemed a patent violation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

You can't really patent a full game mechanic but you can a system.

So for example no one could patent the idea of a "shrinking playing area" and try to sue every battle royal out there.

But you could come up with a unique system that worked out a rate at which the ring shrunk based on multiple specific inputs and patent that.

As long as the other company showed their circle shrank based on different criteria it wouldn't infringe.

Same here, anyone can make a mechanic where the NPCs remember you based on your actions. But just not by using the same process WB does to create and call that data.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

If there is one game I would love to play again, it would be Road Rash. I had a blast playing that on PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

When or which game was this. I googled it but not sure. If you played it close to release on PC you had a PC many years before me.

Doesn't look that great through my eyes in 2023 but I could see how it may have been fun in mid 90's to early 2000's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭quokula

This reminds me that there was a spiritual successor to Road Rash called Road Redemption released a few years ago. I was interested in it as I loved the original games along with Skitchin back on my Megadrive, but I never actually got around to trying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The original Road Rash on Megadrive was an absolute banger. Then i remember Road Rash 3D let you listen to the soundtrack and I just had Kid Rock 'Somebody's Gotta Feel This' on repeat. Goddamn the 90's were awesome.

Came out on 3DO so was one of the first 3D console games. It was mighty impressive at the time. Also have fmv and one of the first games with a licensed soundtrack of early 90s grunge with bands like Soundgarden on the soundtrack. Came out then pretty early on ps1 and Saturn.

The series got its start though on megadrive where it is more well known. Fantastic racing games there with great gameplay and music although the framerate is a bit choppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I actually have a copy of it for the 3DO. Absoloutly banging game!

I hope you didn't pay launch prices for that 3DO!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

shudders

Nah, got if as a christmas present a few yeas back; a big monster Panasonic FZ-1. Glorious machine.

• Advertisement

Street Fighter 6 getting great reviews. This and system shock make it very hard to be saving up to pay off holidays...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I was never any good at those beat em up games. The turned me into a button masher.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,293 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm a middler on them. I don't button mash and I like to learn a few different fighters, but I'm also not anywhere good enough to be properly fighting online to any great success, or paying attention to frame data, zoning etc.

It's why Street Fighter was never one I was any good at. It's always felt like one of the most tightly-made fighting games. But seems like in this game they've introduced an option for simplified controls as well, so I might give this a try. Mortal Kombat and Tekken would always be the ones I gravitate towards though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I know it has been met with disdain by at least some purists, but fair play to Capcom at least for introducing a modern (optional) new control in a bid to increase the game’s accessibility. Obviously the player loses some control and technique by using it, but it’s an important step for a genre and indeed series that’s often punishing for newcomers. If they’ve managed the balance of a game that’ll appeal to newbies and veterans alike, that’s a good step forward.

The persona fighting games added it as well. It's a good option for beginners to make them feel like a pro by pulling off a button mashing combo as well as not feeling like they are cheating by picking Eddie Gordo. It doesn't lessen the depth as the combo is usually situational and not viable in pro matches as well as it not being the best in terms of DPS.

I really don't think it's pros giving out about this as they know it's a feature that doesn't affect the high level meta game. The latest samurai showdown highlights this. Loved by everyone including high level players it's probably the most accessible fighter in years. It's easy to learn, hard to master but has a gradual rewarding learning curve. Also all inputs for super moves are shared across all fighters making it even easier to learn. High level players never complained about this game.

As for why street fighter is so good, I've always found the Capcom fighting games easy enough to pick up but have a rewarding learning curve until you hit pro level when it's a bit of a brick wall to get over. The only other series that matches it is Virtua fighter but unfortunately the inferior Tekken is preferred in the west.

Tekken I find is waaaaay too complicated. It easy to button mash but if you want to take your game past that there's too much to learn and a frankly ridiculously complex blocking system. Fair play to people that can play it well but I feel Virtua fighter does everything Tekken does and better with less complexity. Mortal Kombat was always complete shite until 9 which was surprisingly competent. No experience of the later ones but they are well regarded.

My favourite though are the sink games such as king of fighters. They are a joy to watch but again the learning curve from the start is insane, they are a little too complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,293 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Street Fighter controls to me always just felt like they were just made for fight sticks, presumably because they were. With a controller, it just never felt right to me.

I played a few of the Virtua Fighters which were definitely good but I never felt they were anything to get excited about. Dead Or Alive, outside of the very obvious reasons to enjoy that franchise, also felt like it relied too much on chaining throws together. I also tried Marvel Vs Capcom 3 which, enjoyable as it was for some quick offline play, any kind of pro gameplay just seems like noise and lights on the screen and people shouting their own name.

I never found Tekken that complicated. Even as button-mashy as Eddy Gordo is, I played the demo of Tekken 3 so much before I even owned the game that I can still intentionally pull off a lot of his moves. But I've played each game since Tekken 3 so I'm used to most of the characters through trying to get all their endings in earlier games, before all rewards were pulled out of the games for Season Passes and the like.

Mortal Kombat is probably the simplest to control of them all. Usually just two directional inputs and a face button for most of your special moves, and it's fairly intuitive which directional buttons are required based on the move you're trying to do. Even picking up a new character you'll pick up most of their moves after 3-4 matches, whereas something like SF I could feel like I'm barely purposefully able to pull off a 3-hit combo.

I'm guessing you only really play Playstation? Street Fighter controls are really great but the d-pad needs to be good and Sony have never made a good d-pad. The D-pad was acceptable on the PS4 but PS1-3 they were absolutely outrageously bad. Same with Xbox. Playing these games on a SNES , Megadrive and even more so on the frankly glorious Megadrive and Saturn 6-button pads was an absolute breeze. The moves flow really well using circular motion or charge moves. As someone that used to play at a high level with a good joystick, a joystick actually takes a long time to learn and a good d-pad is much easier to use from the off.

The reason you think mortal kombat and tekken work better is that their focus of pressing directions to initiate specials works better on a rubbish d-pad like the playstation. There's a reason why no other series uses these types of inputs, the street fighter method just works better and Tekken relied on the playstation audience so needs a control scheme that works with a sucky ass d-pad. The Capcom input method also allows for better flow in combos whereas mortal kombat and tekken rely heavily on dial-a-combos and juggles.

I kind of agree MvsC3 is a very complex game, it's kind of made for a high level audience although you can still have a lot of fun button mashing. As for Tekken if you are at the button mashing level it's not complicated but if you want to take it to the next level you are dealing with multiple characters with 50+ specials that need counters, a blocking system that has high, mid and low blocking but also complicates things further with moves that combine levels of blocking like mid+low attacks. I just couldn't deal with it. It was also kind of a boring game to watch competitively although I've heard from 7 onwards it's been massively improved with it being the most popular pro fighter for a while.

As for combos in SF games from SF4 onwards they give really good tutorials on how to perform combos. However don't get sucked into trying to do fancy combos as a lot of them are for showing off and aren't really viable in a match as the frame window for input is very low. Most characters will have 'bread and butter' combos that are easy to learn and pull off consistently and do good damage. There's really no reason to get complicated when a good 3-4 hit will give you consistent damage, and even the pros won't attempt anything too fancy unless they need big damage. Again SF tutorials are good at highlighting these.

Again though, there's no need to play these at a high level if you have people you can play with locally. I think if you got into a good capcom fighter you'll see why it's regarded as much better than the likes of mortal kombat (again old MK, I hear the new ones are good as well as the latest Tekkens).

I wouldn't even bother playing any of those new street fighting games. They had their place on lower hard ware consoles back in the day. But I would find them extremely boring to play them now. I had one of those games on the SNES(I forget the name of it). It wasn't very long you would get to the last fight in one sitting if you wanted. I remember some guy in school gave me a code to play as the last guy. I was so excited to put the code in but little did I know it was just a skin and not the last guy as you were still weaker than all the fighters you were up against even though you looked like the last guy.

I have never played a fighter game with a game pad. Must be joystick.

I played SF2 not too long ago on arcade. Finished with a single 2 euro coin. Ryu "aiiii-yukan" over and over. Easy.

Don't remind me about holiday expenses. And then before you know its Christmas....

• Advertisement

The challenge was the difficulty levels on those games and beating up your friends. While I found SF2 and SF2 CE had good single player modes it's been hard to find a good single player fighting game lately and capcom have really dropped the ball. Mortal Kombat on the other hand has actually done really well with single player content with a fun silly campaign. Every other fighter has been like a visual novel with fights and not very satisfying.

It does however seem like Capcom put some effort into SF6 single player this time. I do feel modern fighters are very much about competitive play.

Advertisement