Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the 'there's no such thing as a stupid question' bike maintenance thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭jamesd

Got charged €60 labor from local bike shop to change my gear cables - Is this expensive ?
    Cables were separate at €6 each, bike is a cube road bike and cables are internal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭cletus

It seems expensive to me, but I've never paid to have work done on a bike. Perhaps they have a minimum labour charge, an hour or part thereof.

Did you query it in the shop?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yes, i'd say that's expensive, unless your bike is awkward to change cables on.
    should be less than an hour's work for a competent mechanic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Presuming your bike wasn't in a complete heap and it was a normal job, it seems pricey, my LBS used to do a full service for only slightly more (and include cables). There might be a reason eg can't have enough mechanics working side by side so needs to charge more to keep the business afloat but for what should be a 10 to 15 minute job for someone not in a shop, I'd be a bit miffed but if people are paying, I'd leave them to let others pay that in future and not go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

jamesd wrote: »
    Got charged €60 labor from local bike shop to change my gear cables - Is this expensive ?
    Cables were separate at €6 each, bike is a cube road bike and cables are internal.

speaking from experience, some bikes (the unfortunate minority with internal tubing) are a matter of minutes to remove and replace an internally routed gear cable...

some, however, are an absolute ba5tard and will slowly but surely drain away your will to live, along with your faith in humanity and whatever deity you pray to...even when using an internal cable routing kit.

add a smattering of road salt/dirt/cow5hit/dried human sweat salt from indoor trainer use and your suddenly into cable end caps and cable stops stuck into the frame (usually carbon so you can't use force/leverage), even when their retaining screws (also corroded and seized and sometimes rounded out cos the owner has 'had a go') have been removed.

then, la piece de resistance, the hanger is a little bit bent from the time Fintan/Oisin/Declan/Karen knocked everybody's bikes like dominoes at the coffee stop a few months ago, so that needs realignment, along with the limit screws needing tuning...which are also seized with 5hite and sweat.

welcome to my world.

when I am king, anyone who attempts to bring a dirty bike in to a bike shop for mechanical service or repair, will be the first against the wall.

just saying.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭lissard

Couldn't agree more - changing internally routed gear cables is a dark night of the soul. No amount of money would compensate me for the ****e it entails. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭cletus

@8valve: what's the average rate per hour for labour in a bike shop

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

8valve wrote: »
    speaking from experience, some bikes (the unfortunate minority with internal tubing) are a matter of minutes to remove and replace an internally routed gear cable...

some, however, are an absolute ba5tard and will slowly but surely drain away your will to live, along with your faith in humanity and whatever deity you pray to...even when using an internal cable routing kit.

add a smattering of road salt/dirt/cow5hit/dried human sweat salt from indoor trainer use and your suddenly into cable end caps and cable stops stuck into the frame (usually carbon so you can't use force/leverage), even when their retaining screws (also corroded and seized and sometimes rounded out cos the owner has 'had a go') have been removed.

then, la piece de resistance, the hanger is a little bit bent from the time Fintan/Oisin/Declan/Karen knocked everybody's bikes like dominoes at the coffee stop a few months ago, so that needs realignment, along with the limit screws needing tuning...which are also seized with 5hite and sweat.

welcome to my world.

when I am king, anyone who attempts to bring a dirty bike in to a bike shop for mechanical service or repair, will be the first against the wall.

just saying.

:D

Would you not clean the bike before working on it? :P

lissard wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more - changing internally routed gear cables is a dark night of the soul. No amount of money would compensate me for the ****e it entails. :)

Tape some thread onto the end of the old cable, pull cable through. Tape new cable onto thread, pull back through. Provided the bike is in good nick, it is not the worst job in the world. As 8valve said though, I am saying on the basis of the bike being in good condition and minimal adjustments, it could be an awful experience and you could find yourself longing for the cold embrace of death near the end. If it took an hour, €60 seems fine, but they should have said that in the shop, it wold be a bad day if it took an hour.

cletus wrote: »
    @8valve: what's the average rate per hour for labour in a bike shop

I've heard of some bigger, new breed of stores charging between €40-60 per hour, regardless of the task at hand.

I work for a small family owned, traditional bike shop (I could be replacing a pressfit BB on a carbon super bike, then adjusting the rod brakes on a high nelly straight afterwards!) and they, like many of their kind, tend to charge by the job e.g. wheel truing and a couple of new spokes for twenty quid, new tube fitted for twelve quid, etc

• Advertisement

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Would you not clean the bike before working on it? :P

you're dead to me:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

8valve wrote: »
    you're dead to me:D

Nothing worse than working on a dirty bike. I do most of my own repairs. I did have to leave my bike into a bike shop once and I cleaned it before doing so. I would be embarrassed leaving a dirty bike in for repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭jamesd

I didn't query the price as the mechanic said it was a tough one to get the cables through.
    Shop is a bike repair shop only, one mechanic owns / works in it.
    Bike was spotless going in, I'd be the same as couldn't leave a dirty bike into someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭g0g

Is there any type of glue specifically I should be using to fix the below?

Bike is on smart trainer. Chain came off yesterday and appears to have knocked off a little metal plate that sits on the side of the right chain stay just behind the chain rings. I had never noticed this thin piece of metal there but assume it's to prevent chain rubbing off frame when it comes off? Is it mainly cosmetic or can a fallen-off-chain do a lot of damage in that area?

Main question - will any old glue do the job? (carbon frame)

g0g wrote: »
    Is there any type of glue specifically I should be using to fix the below?

Bike is on smart trainer. Chain came off yesterday and appears to have knocked off a little metal plate that sits on the side of the right chain stay just behind the chain rings. I had never noticed this thin piece of metal there but assume it's to prevent chain rubbing off frame when it comes off? Is it mainly cosmetic or can a fallen-off-chain do a lot of damage in that area?

Main question - will any old glue do the job? (carbon frame)

Araldite epoxy glue or similar will do fine.

Superglue mightn't hold up to irish weather too well.

Double sided automotive trim tape will also work, if you know a panel beater...that stuff hols badges on cars for years in any weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ADTuKz

I got my bike serviced earlier in my LBS but forgot to mention that it was missing a bolt in the handlebar stem. It is on a 2014 giant defy road bike, there are two bolts holding the handlebar stem onto the headset. The bottom one is missing. (I hope that is the right terminology)

I have looked around a bit on ebay + online retailers but can't find one that looks exactly like it. Is there anywhere in particular I should be looking online so I can order one of these to replace the missing one? Or is it best just to go back to my LBS and hope they have some? Not sure how I lost it or when it fell out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Presume you mean this bottom one here, and if so, just call into LBS.
    bike-build_ahead_0.jpg I'd probably expect an LBS to spot that though

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ADTuKz

Thanks for the reply yes the very bottom white arrow is the piece I am missing! I will take it back this weekend and see if they have one.

ADTuKz wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply yes the very bottom white arrow is the piece I am missing! I will take it back this weekend and see if they have one.

Unlikely they won't but a hardware shop will also have them, or Radionics, hell I think I have about 50 of them in my spare bolts drawer at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Got my tyres, they are folded ones.
    Do they need to be out for a while before putting them on in order to get into shape?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭rayman1

Seve OB wrote: »
    Got my tyres, they are folded ones.
    Do they need to be out for a while before putting them on in order to get into shape?

No. Just open them out into the circular shape and they can be fitted straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭CormacH94

Any chance anyone knows the weight of a Lapierre Audacio 400 frame and fork? Can't find the weight of the frame and fork alone - just full build weights

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

CormacH94 wrote: »
    Any chance anyone knows the weight of a Lapierre Audacio 400 frame and fork? Can't find the weight of the frame and fork alone - just full build weights

From Bikeradar.com....

"The curved carbon fork looks classical, and at 530g complements the 1,365g frame, both being impressively light for the price even compared to the latest contenders. The overall weight is also competitive against several of the £1,000 bikes that we’ve tested recently."

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭CormacH94

MojoMaker wrote: »
    From Bikeradar.com....

"The curved carbon fork looks classical, and at 530g complements the 1,365g frame, both being impressively light for the price even compared to the latest contenders. The overall weight is also competitive against several of the £1,000 bikes that we’ve tested recently."

Ah I usually skip over the reviews, cheers

for ages i used to think this thread was for mountain bikes
    mb's at the start of thread title is confusing
    might be worth renaming it and taking out the mb's?

Seve OB wrote: »
    for ages i used to think this thread was for mountain bikes
    mb's at the start of thread title is confusing
    might be worth renaming it and taking out the mb's?

I thought the same for a long time, months before I realised it was Magics thread

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

happy to change if it's causing any confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

New rule: only questions about road bikes. :P:D

happy to change if it's causing any confusion.

Fair play magic,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

I think no may be about to prove the thread title wrong :D

Is a seized sealed bearing permanently seized?

Advertisement