Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knock/Eirtrade thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Got this photo today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭hopeso

eastmayo wrote: »
    Got this photo today.

Those sections that are removed are probably destined to be cut into smaller sections, each one containing one window and sold to collectors.
    Such sections from pretty standard aircraft sell for around €300 each. A380 pieces will probably sell for a lot more!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Acosta

Would have made a cool air bnb or something. I think someone did that with an old DDR Interflug plane. That would probably require landing it in a field or something like they did with the Interflug, so probably not possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Acosta wrote: »
    Would have made a cool air bnb or something. I think someone did that with an old DDR Interflug plane. That would probably require landing it in a field or something like they did with the Interflug, so probably not possible.

There is a guy in Sligo with similar, a few outsize lorries and he might take the carcass for that. A mile-high motel :o

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Didn't some guy in mayo do that or something similar with a fuselage on a glamping site ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Acosta

theguzman wrote: »
    There is a guy in Sligo with similar, a few outsize lorries and he might take the carcass for that. A mile-high motel :o

Oops, that's actually what I was thinking of. But for some reason I mixed it up with the story of the Intferflug landing on a field and isn't a AirBnb. Long day.

https://travelupdate.com/interflug-grass-landing/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,274 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

theguzman wrote: »

Which is now a rusting scrapyard that the locals are unhappy with.

An awesome sight for an outsider though, as was the procedure used to transport the plane

• Registered Users Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Which is now a rusting scrapyard that the locals are unhappy with.

An awesome sight for an outsider though, as was the procedure used to transport the plane

yeah it never opened. rumour was he didn't want to risk his own money and the bank refused to loan all the money he needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

irishgeo wrote: »
    yeah it never opened. rumour was he didn't want to risk his own money and the bank refused to loan all the money he needed.

He's still working hard on getting the finance and approvals to continue.
    He's already risked a huge portion of his own money with everything done so far!

Locals can complain all they want - it's definitely drawing tourism to Enniscrone.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭boardzz

Lurching wrote: »
    Locals can complain all they want - it's definitely drawing tourism to Enniscrone.

Drawing tourism for what?
    If I want to see a plane, I'll go to an airport. If I want to see a scrap yard, I'll go to this site in Enniscrone.
    Don't think scrap yards are too high on tourism sector list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,045 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Plane spotters are a curious bunch, scrap or airport, it’s all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,524 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

I'm yet to spot a plane starting from a scrapyard. :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Acosta wrote: »

I used to see this one in Stockholm airport, never booked into it, didn't look very inviting from the outside to be honest and you would kind of be out in the middle of nowhere. https://www.jumbostay.com/

joujoujou wrote: »

You forgot about this one, worlds largest military aircraft scrapyard :):):

539132.jpeg

boardzz wrote: »
    Drawing tourism for what?
    If I want to see a plane, I'll go to an airport. If I want to see a scrap yard, I'll go to this site in Enniscrone.

There were a number of people looking over the fence when I was there.
    It put Enniscrone on the map when it was being moved there (and it brought me there).

In fairness, it's pretty well blocked off behind timber hoarding, so you can't see much of it driving past.
    Prefer to see this than another boring housing estate or an Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

joujoujou wrote: »

Smurfjed beat me to it..... AMARG is still one of the greatest places I have ever visited

I also visited the Portugal Air Force equivalent , that was really brilliant , we were basically given free reign . Got nice photos of me in the driving seat of a Nord Noratlas and exploring over F86s.

When the lockdown is over I am going to visit the A380 ( if there is anything still left !! )

In the 80s there wasn't a French airfield that didn't sport a rotting Caravelle or 707 , and usually a pile of discarded Rallyes in some form or another .

we were basically given free reign
    totally unlike DMAFB, we had to apply weeks in advance with passport details, specific tour, no changes allowed, full military inspection and then for some oddball reason the whole tour was in an enclosed greyhound bus with tinted windows, not even an open top bus for photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

smurfjed wrote: »
    totally unlike DMAFB, we had to apply weeks in advance with passport details, specific tour, no changes allowed, full military inspection and then for some oddball reason the whole tour was in an enclosed greyhound bus with tinted windows, not even an open top bus for photos.

Getting off thread here .... when I did the tour ( 2005 I think ) you basically joined a queue at Pima Air Museum.

My missus wasn't interested so she sat under the wing of the old Air Force One chatting to the old lads who did the tour ( who were interesting if a little ' conservative ' )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Getting off thread here .... when I did the tour ( 2005 I think ) you basically joined a queue at Pima Air Museum.

My missus wasn't interested so she sat under the wing of the old Air Force One chatting to the old lads who did the tour ( who were interesting if a little ' conservative ' )

I did that tour in 2002. Was lucky to hit it on a very quiet day in August. I had the place to myself for about three hours. I recall the senior gentlemen (ex-USAF, I think) who were staff and they so welcoming, and fascinated to meet an Irishman. It was a wonderful experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Got this photo today.

A 20 year old A320 going on the scrap heap. That could have easily been Leo's transport aircraft for the air corps!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

A second hand plane being scrapped and you want us to buy it. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

roundymac wrote: »
    A second hand plane being scrapped and you want us to buy it. Why?

I think you missed the :D in that post!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Really interesting report below on the aircraft maintenance hub/storage hub/graveyard in Tarbes, in the South of France (report is in French, pictures are in English though! :D)

https://fb.watch/3qix1tCwi5/

Includes some footage of an A380 being disassembled.

The place is full with short-term storage of aircraft (up to 3 months) - it's not enormous, but still it's a lot of aircraft!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Davidth88 wrote: »
    In the 80s there wasn't a French airfield that didn't sport a rotting Caravelle or 707 , and usually a pile of discarded Rallyes in some form or another .
    A mate snapped pics a couple years ago of 2 Caravelles decaying beside a runway in France. Can't recall the airport but as he is EU crew it must be one that they operate into.

Last off the A380 is nearly gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,278 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Last off the A380 is nearly gone.

Not hanging around now

Next stop, coca cola cans.

All that is left off the A380 today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,524 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

It looks like it's end is near. :(

Still pretty intact on satellite image though. ;)

544418.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I happened to be talking to My neighbour who’s a truck driver and he said it spent the week taking aeroplane parts from Mayo to Belfast

Advertisement