Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chromecast Apps Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

glasso wrote: »
    for from pc to chromecast.

android to chromecast isn't an issue.

This is Android forum though?

Not really relevant is it.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    This is Android forum though?

Not really relevant is it.

it is when with chromecast you are generally casting to it.
    casting to an android device from pc which is what a fair bit of discussion in this thread has been about.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Evil_g

I'd never heard of Sodaplayer. I'm glad Glasso plays by his, or her, own rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭corkie

Evil_g wrote: »
    I'd never heard of Sodaplayer. I'm glad Glasso plays by his, or her, own rules.

Read back the last page, It infected my laptop with adware. So use at your own risk. I didn't want to risk installing it again, so have not tested latest installers.

corkie wrote: »
    Read back the last page, It infected my laptop with adware. So use at your own risk. I didn't want to risk installing it again, so have not tested latest installers.

can't find any google results linking soda player to adware - are you 100%
    sure that was the cause?

I can only think of maybe that you need to be careful where you download from - some download sites will include things in an install - you need to look at the install options.

can confirm that after a month of using soda player - no issues with adware or malware.
    great little app for casting to chromecast and streaming peer-to-peer as opposed to downloading

glasso wrote: »
    can confirm that after a month of using soda player - no issues with adware or malware.
    great little app for casting to chromecast and streaming peer-to-peer as opposed to downloading

Eh, I downloaded it, and whilst I could figure out how to open movies from my c: drive I couldn't figure out how to cast. I couldn't even find any interface or menu at all, apart from the very basic choices at the bottom of the screen.

I presume I'm missing something very obvious, but could someone point me in the right direction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

When the chromecast is on you get an option to cast it .

ZtHE2Zr.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭steve_r

Evil_g wrote: »
    Eh, I downloaded it, and whilst I could figure out how to open movies from my c: drive I couldn't figure out how to cast. I couldn't even find any interface or menu at all, apart from the very basic choices at the bottom of the screen.

I presume I'm missing something very obvious, but could someone point me in the right direction?

There's a tv icon in the bottom corner when the chromecast is on - just click that

• Advertisement

Ah, that works! Excellent. This app could be a game changer.

Future Android version may support turning off the display while screen casting to save battery
    The ability to cast a phone’s screen to other devices like the Google Chromecast is an often understated feature. It can allow for a number of different types of content to be projected onto your TV screen. You can stream games, show off photos in your gallery, and a whole lot more. It’s even possible at times to stream normally uncastable content, such as content you may need a VPN to view.

Did a chromecast with bluetooth support get release yet?

I was hoping to get an update to the first generation in the sales.

But looks like it is not available yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Did a chromecast with bluetooth support get release yet?

I was hoping to get an update to the first generation in the sales.

But looks like it is not available yet.

Never heard of such a thing, how would that work?

Never heard of such a thing, how would that work?

At a guess it would feed sound by Bluetooth, while casting a show. or the link suggests:-
    It’s possible that this would be for connecting peripherals like keyboards and gaming controllers.

• Advertisement

At a guess it would feed sound by Bluetooth, while casting a show.

How would that offer any advantage over WiFi streaming?

How would that offer any advantage over WiFi streaming?

Cast a show to your TV and have sound on a Bluetooth device (coming from chromecast). Still stream over wifi.

Old non smart TV's don't have Bluetooth.

Cast a show to your TV and have sound on a Bluetooth device (coming from chromecast). Still stream over wifi.

Old non smart TV's don't have Bluetooth.

I'd have my doubts that would work very well. I've had the odd issue with audio sync with some lossy codecs using HDMI passthrough and that's over a cable. Google have only just allowed video Chromecasts be added to audio groups, their reason up to now was that they had no control of the latency over HDMI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Rte player has been updated, looks decent and casting is now available.... Finally!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Rte player has been updated, looks decent and casting is now available.... Finally!

Still no Android TV support

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Still no Android TV support

A decent android TV should have chromecast built in.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

A decent android TV should have chromecast built in.

Of course it does but I'd prefer a native TV app

[IrishTechNews] The New Chromecast Comes to Ireland

Google Store €39.00

^^^ Other bricks and mortar (argos, harvey and currys) might also have the updated version soon

It maybe over kill for some people's needs but a Mi Box S has chromecast ultra builtin.

Also a rumor on reddit that there maybe a Google Android TV dongle in the works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

[IrishTechNews] The New Chromecast Comes to Ireland

Google Store €39.00

^^^ Other bricks and mortar (argos, harvey and currys) might also have the updated version soon

It maybe over kill for some people's needs but a Mi Box S has chromecast ultra builtin.

Also a rumor on reddit that there maybe a Google Android TV dongle in the works.

The google link didn't work for me. I thought I read somewhere that the Chromecast Audio was also discontinued?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jimdavey

i used to work this yoke. it worked just briiiant. even worked with GARDA website!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

If you want a feature rich device, you need to pay for it... Get a Nvidia Shield, it has Bluetooth... Although it doesn't have the APTX Latency codec, but then you need expensive headphones for that functionality too.

@Bluefoam Why quote a 2018 post from a dead thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Sorry for upsetting you... It was up close to the top of the category, so I just assumed it was recent. Just shows how little activity is happing on boards in general these days...

Advertisement