Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waggle your 'Joystick' - Post your 3Dmark Scores here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

New computer as per here and here

Time Spy 1.0: 5880
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/15073787

Firestrike 1.1: 15246
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/15073932

NOOICE. Why did you go for the 1070 ove rthe 980ti can i ask?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I didn't really consider the previous generation at all!

My last 8800 GTS lasted 9.5 years so if this card even goes half that length I thought it important that I go for as new a generation as possible and something that's operating comfortably within it's capabilities. Based on anecdotal observations of cards in mine and family computers the super dooper maxed out oc'd extreme cards don't tend to last as long. (Of course they are probably working harder too!)

tldr: I didn't rule out the 980ti specifically but I decided early on to pick from the 10 series generation because if how long I expect to have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

got my gigabyte 1080ti aorus yesterday. Only getting around to benching it with my 6700k now.

firestrike: 21,424

best i could get with my evga 1080 ftw was around 18,500 so i am pretty happy :D, the Aorus is a surprisingly quite card as well.

Could only manage a +50core +100memory on it, dont know if volts are unlocked so maybe theres more in it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭twinsen

got my gigabyte 1080ti aorus yesterday. Only getting around to benching it with my 6700k now.

firestrike: 21,424

best i could get with my evga 1080 ftw was around 18,500 so i am pretty happy :D, the Aorus is a surprisingly quite card as well.

Could only manage a +50core +100memory on it, dont know if volts are unlocked so maybe theres more in it..

Only got my msi 1080ti couple days ago. Beast of the card, overclocked keeps temperature around 74 degrees in closed case, when my previous 980ti was reaching 84 :)

Quick results from Firestrike ultra 13317 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/19437713?
    and normal Firestrike 21008 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/19437987?

What brand of card you got? Did some fiddling with my case fans to get better airflow and put a super aggressive fan curve on it and mine goes up to max 65 degree's

Max I got on standard fire strike was 21700, core sits around 1980 and I got +490 on memory. Must say delighted with the gigabyte aorus

I got msi gaming x. Overall i am impressed. Just need to source myself with a nice 1440p monitor, as all this power is wasted on my 1080p monitor

A tip, get a 4k monitor so that your never truly satisfied with the performance :D

this is about the best ive been able to get from my setup on regular firestrike

these 1080ti's are some beasts to be fair

Damn, that's a good score, I tried to reach it but so far no luck.
    So far my best 21698

• Advertisement

A tip, get a 4k monitor so that your never truly satisfied with the performance :D
    It took a lot of work to hide this purchase from the wife, a new monitor would be mission impossible...

Wow that overclock on the GPU looks sweet! Core at 2101, out of interest what are your settings at?

Wow that overclock on the GPU looks sweet! Core at 2101, out of interest what are your settings at?

Core extra 155 from stock
    Memory extra 545 from stock

thats a brilliant result, at least from the overclocks ive seen other partner cards getting, generally +50 to +100 on the core, my own can get to +70 before getting unstable

I hope you don't mind. My new score 21868

Fantastic score man, you've inspired me to try and tweek my over clocks more :)

• Advertisement

Fantastic score man, you've inspired me to try and tweek my over clocks more :)
    Please don't :)

haha dont think i can get my i7 over 4.6 and my core on the 1080 gets unstable past +70 so id say your fairly safe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Guys what is your timespy scores as per original posts in this thread people where people posted both firestrike and timespy scores?

haha dont think i can get my i7 over 4.6 and my core on the 1080 gets unstable past +70 so id say your fairly safe

Well, hate myself already, but:
    1 open your case
    2 set all your fans at 100%
    3 start benching

I bet with your ram running at 3200 mhz you can beat my score

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Sorry for the newbie question but are yiz doing all these overclocking yokes just to see how much you can push it or is it for any particular reason?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Sorry for the newbie question but are yiz doing all these overclocking yokes just to see how much you can push it or is it for any particular reason?

The question is already answered in the thread title. It's pure "Joystick" waggling.
    There are valid reasons to overclock, usually to eek the last bit of performance out of an older system, or to achieve those few extra frames to get the most out of high refresh rate monitors. Enthusiasts having a bit of fun overclocking, pave the way for others to have an idea how much more they could get out of their system, and I'd say even hardware companies are interested in the numbers for future tweaks and revisions.

Extra performance, if it is there, why not use it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

I understand that but what difference does it make if you can get an extra 4 or 5 fps in a game?

Anyway, i should have copped by the thread title. Overclock away:pac:

I understand that but what difference does it make if you can get an extra 4 or 5 fps in a game?

Anyway, i should have copped by the thread title. Overclock away:pac:

5 frames will not make a difference when your game is at 120 fps I agree, but situation changes when you play at lets say 4k resolution and game dips to 40fps. Then extra 5 fps does make a huge difference.

Well I'm using my current overclock at the moment as it gives me a nice little boost at 4k gaming performance. But to be honest its more about seeing how far I can push things and how they stack up to other systems. I can't stand knowing that my PC parts can perform better and not do anything about it :)

CPU over clocking is a bit different though as I find my whole system is a lot quicker at day to day things so that's a must for me

new score of 21,896 :D got a 4700 out of the i7 somehow but im not really getting much past +75 on the gpu core, have you touched volts on the gpu btw?

new score of 21,896 :D got a 4700 out of the i7 somehow but im not really getting much past +75 on the gpu core, have you touched volts on the gpu btw?

Damn, that is good score!
    I didn't touch the volts or power limit, as both options are locked. I tried to unlock it using guides found here and there, but no luck so far.

twinsen wrote: »
    I didn't touch the volts or power limit, as both options are locked. I tried to unlock it using guides found here and there, but no luck so far.

He shows you how in this video.

afterburner 4.4 beta has volts unlocked.

Alright this is the best i've got,

firestrike of 21,999........1 fecking point off :(

timespy of 9,449

I've my gpu volts at +90 and power limit at +120

please dont beat it :o:o:o i think il have to just throw my pc out the window,

to be fair your gpu overclock seems much better than mine and youve the same cpu at the same speed twinsen so i think you'll get past the 22,000 mark

• Advertisement

to be fair your gpu overclock seems much better than mine and youve the same cpu at the same speed twinsen so i think you'll get past the 22,000 mark
    Not happening it seems. I can run benchmarks with clocks from yesterday no problem, but that's the maximum :(
    If I even touch power limit or voltage 3dmark will crash straight away.

I dont know what to say

haha god damn it :D i think im going to leave you have it man, ive actually dialed back my overclocks for stability as well

New computer as per here and here

Time Spy 1.0: 5880
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/15073787

Firestrike 1.1: 15246
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/15073932

I bought DDR4 3000MHz RAM when I was building the computer and I just whacked it into the motherboard without changing any settings and it turns out it has been running at 2166MHz.

So I bumped it up to 3000 in the BIOS today and it gave a modest but noticeable increase!

Time Spy 1.0: 5935
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/20207433?

Firestrike 1.1: 15469
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/20207122?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

There's a 1080 on Adverts and I don't need it, but...

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    There's a 1080 on Adverts and I don't need it, but...

No point replacing 980ti with 1080 i think. If you're lucky you'll get 30% performance increase. 1080ti is another story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

twinsen wrote: »
    No point replacing 980ti with 1080 i think. If you're lucky you'll get 30% performance increase. 1080ti is another story

I know.

But also, it's water-cooled...

I bought DDR4 3000MHz RAM when I was building the computer and I just whacked it into the motherboard without changing any settings and it turns out it has been running at 2166MHz.

So I bumped it up to 3000 in the BIOS today and it gave a modest but noticeable increase!

Time Spy 1.0: 5935
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/20207433?

Firestrike 1.1: 15469
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/20207122?

Tweaked a few more things:

I enabled the XMP profile for the RAM but for some strange reason this seemed to prevent the Intel Turbo Boost from working correctly. So I switched to allowing the mainboard (ASUS) control the turbo-boost (with matched core speeds or whatever it's called). This gives another small upgrade:

Time Spy 1.0: 5984
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/20240532?

Firestrike 1.1: 15605
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/20240464?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I know.

But also, it's water-cooled...

Makes quite a difference! Went to around 2.0Ghz stable on mine after fitting the hybrid kit and this is on a SC (so reference) design.

Must get round to posting scores again.

Edit: They're annoyingly loud for a water loop though.

• Advertisement

Don't know if it's of interested to anyone but tweaked the Bios again and this time allowed Asus to control the turbo boost except without all the cores being synced:

Timespy went up slightly and Firestrike went down!!

Time Spy 1.0: 5991
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/20267256?
    Will definitely go above 6k if I was to overclock either the processor or the graphics card but I'm still hopeful I might be able to get to 6000 without any "direct" overclock.

Firestrike 1.1: 15459
    http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12783363
    No idea why it went down.

One thing I noticed is that when the ASUS mainboard is managing the turbo boost (speed stepping still active) at 4.2GHz (top turbo for 6700k) the board is pushing up to 1.379V through each core of the i7. It seems a little high - but I never checked what it was prior to my RAM and processor tweaking.

I fear this is a bit of a blog for me at the moment but this is my last post for the time being (I promise):

I've settled on a modest 4.5GHz overclock on the 6700k with a max Voltage of 1.315V (stock for me was 1.282V).

And I've pushed an extra 145MHz onto the 1070 GPU Clock and 300MHz onto the GPU Memory Clock. I didn't trying upping the voltage on the 1070.

Yielding:

TimeSpy 1.0: 6337 (Up from 5880 at stock after build)
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/20305981?

Firestrike 1.1: 16573 (Up from 15246 at stock after build)
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/20306028?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

TimeSpy : 7540

Firestrike : 18290

This is my daily driver config ang I think I have everything OC'd just so - so no more head room :(

Didn't bother with a Firestrike run. I just done a fresh run or TimeSpy in anticipation of the new TimeSpy Extreme that will be out later this month.

TimeSpy: 5655

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Everything overclocked, 1080Ti, 6800K:
    Firestrike - 22643
    Timespy - 9396
    Only did the Timespy once, got bored testing the card and have since been gaming :)

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

Not bad scores at all. Did you hit a overclocking limit with the CPU or did you not want to push it too much?

• Advertisement

Thanks, I had it at 4.2 but every 7 or 8 days would crash( even though stable with prime95 for 5-6 hours and tbh didnt spend that long overclocking it ) so i just reduced it to 4.0 for 24/7 and loosened the memory timings. Kid uses it a lot to watch youtube, any instability is 110% not worth the grief lol.
    Ill take a look at it sometime again, definitely wont go far above 4.2, needs far to much juice.

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Thanks, I had it at 4.2 but every 7 or 8 days would crash( even though stable with prime95 for 5-6 hours and tbh didnt spend that long overclocking it ) so i just reduced it to 4.0 for 24/7 and loosened the memory timings. Kid uses it a lot to watch youtube, any instability is 110% not worth the grief lol.
    Ill take a look at it sometime again, definitely wont go far above 4.2, needs far to much juice.

Yea afair, those x99 chips didn't overclock that well. The newest x299 skylake-x chips seem to overclock fairly high a bit like the skylake, kaby lake and coffee lake chips.

yeah, they suck at overclocking tbh. I only built this in April( minus 1080Ti ), was going to go Ryzen but didnt like the memory situation at the time and number of dimm slots. Skylake i knew would be too expensive and not very robust initially so just went with an older x99 build to replace my aging 7-8 year old x58.
    Great to see AMD shake up the market, now a Threadripper build would be nice lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

I just ran my system and got this but then discored my ram was at 2400 :mad:

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/22739154

I just ran my system and got this but then discored my ram was at 2400 :mad:

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/22739154
    Your GPU ram should clock higher too

• Advertisement
Advertisement