Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any 530e owners out there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭obriea3

fifth wrote: »
    How did you get on?

I'm thinking of buying one of these (little later in the year). Wondering when exactly the bigger 12kwh capacity battery came in.. second half of 2018 or first half of 2019?

My 182 doesn't have the bigger battery!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭wcooba

fifth wrote: »
    How did you get on?

I'm thinking of buying one of these (little later in the year). Wondering when exactly the bigger 12kwh capacity battery came in.. second half of 2018 or first half of 2019?

I think only ones manufactured from summer 2019 have larger battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭crank_1975

Just pulled the trigger on one of these, pardon my ignorance but does this come with charging cables and if so are they the ones for charging at charging stations (or a home installed one) or is there also a cable for a standard domestic plug socket?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

crank_1975 wrote: »
    Just pulled the trigger on one of these, pardon my ignorance but does this come with charging cables and if so are they the ones for charging at charging stations (or a home installed one) or is there also a cable for a standard domestic plug socket?

Mine was supposed to come with 2, the "granny" cable - plugs into a standard domestic socket and a regular type 2 - which can be used with a regular untethered type 2 charger.
    In reality sometime between last week (when photos of both were send to me) and Saturday (when I picked up my car) the type 2 charger disappeared from the car. Dealership was very apologetic and will sent me new replacement. Personally not in a hurry as have same cables / chargers already from existing ev, plus our home charger is tethered anyway...
    But when buying, explicitly ask to ensure both are delivered, and when collecting check to ensure that both are provided.
    If not you can pick them up independently for ~€200 give or take.

So flew over on Saturday from dublin to Newcastle. I had paid for the car in advance (dec 2017 530e mSports, with 12k miles on clock, no other extras). Spent 60-90 minutes in dealership (our was nuts busy)... got in the road by 1:30 or so. Drove to Holyhead (about 425 km), arrived in plenty time for 8pm ferry. Paid for lounge access and slept for almost 3 hours. Arrived in dublin at midnight, got home (225km) around 2:30 am. Long day but fairly easy. I was in no hurry.
    Got it VRTed tonight 1509 VRT (exactly as expected) and 20 NoX charge.
    Sorry I've nothing exciting to add to story. It went exactly add planned.
    Car is great. I suspect it is actually quieter than my bev.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

It's far, far quieter than the Ioniq.
    Well wear again :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

So flew over on Saturday from dublin to Newcastle. I had paid for the car in advance (dec 2017 530e mSports, with 12k miles on clock, no other extras). Spent 60-90 minutes in dealership (our was nuts busy)... got in the road by 1:30 or so. Drove to Holyhead (about 425 km), arrived in plenty time for 8pm ferry. Paid for lounge access and slept for almost 3 hours. Arrived in dublin at midnight, got home (225km) around 2:30 am. Long day but fairly easy. I was in no hurry.
    Got it VRTed tonight 1509 VRT (exactly as expected) and 20 NoX charge.
    Sorry I've nothing exciting to add to story. It went exactly add planned.

Thanks for the update. Out of interest, what was the mpg for such a long trip?

commited wrote:
    Thanks for the update. Out of interest, what was the mpg for such a long trip?

I tried every setting available in the car so range was all over the place. But for reference, at lexlip the battery was about 80%, I endered home into the satnav, reset the trip recorder and set it to auto battery economy mode (or whatever its called). It was after midnight and mostly motorway so averaging close to 120, and when I got home mpg was 46.
    I drove from home to shannon this morning, 61km, mostly motorway used 60% battery and mpg was 59.5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭sligo_dave

I tried every setting available in the car so range was all over the place. But for reference, at lexlip the battery was about 80%, I endered home into the satnav, reset the trip recorder and set it to auto battery economy mode (or whatever its called). It was after midnight and mostly motorway so averaging close to 120, and when I got home mpg was 46.
    I drove from home to shannon this morning, 61km, mostly motorway used 60% battery and mpg was 59.5

Only issue is BMW (on 330e anyway) maxes out at 99.9mpg so may not be giving as good a reflection of the achieved mpg. Better method is to use l/100km and calculate the mpg from that. Just from personal experience the l/100km gives more accurate total mpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

This is currently #1 for next car purchase within the next few weeks. My main concerns are:
    1. Resale - a long time since I spent this sort of money on a car and concerned depreciation could be horrendous!
    2. Boot space - we need to carry a buggy and I checked it fits but it does leave us a bit limited on space for trips, used to a large estate at the moment..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Blub123

commited wrote: »
    This is currently #1 for next car purchase within the next few weeks. My main concerns are:
    1. Resale - a long time since I spent this sort of money on a car and concerned depreciation could be horrendous!
    2. Boot space - we need to carry a buggy and I checked it fits but it does leave us a bit limited on space for trips, used to a large estate at the moment..

yea space is an issue for myself aswell.
    Going to get a roof box for the limited nr of times a long trip and associated family baggage is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 EVenthusiast

Great to hear these 530e's are still popular and people are still moving to buy them in the UK. I'm getting ready myself to do something and hoping to stretch to a 2019 as they appear good value in terms of depreciation from new price.

One question I have is how have people found dealing with UK / NI dealers? I haven't contacted any as yet as not expecting to be ready to move until beginning of March so figure stock now may not be available then. Are they hospitable to you and what sort of discount (if any) can you expect to get off the sticker price considering a cash purchase. Also what have you found as the best way to pay the dealer?

The talk in the last few days on here about the space loss in the trunk is worrying for me as I carry golf bag most of the time and although I don't need much more space it sometimes is handy when needed. I guess I'll go take a good look at the difference side by side at a dealer here.

My alternative is either a 520i or 530i as for the life of me could not stomach the tractor version! The thoughts of handing over additional money to Revenue for a petrol version puts me off that idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bod71

Great to hear these 530e's are still popular and people are still moving to buy them in the UK. I'm getting ready myself to do something and hoping to stretch to a 2019 as they appear good value in terms of depreciation from new price.

One question I have is how have people found dealing with UK / NI dealers? I haven't contacted any as yet as not expecting to be ready to move until beginning of March so figure stock now may not be available then. Are they hospitable to you and what sort of discount (if any) can you expect to get off the sticker price considering a cash purchase. Also what have you found as the best way to pay the dealer?

The talk in the last few days on here about the space loss in the trunk is worrying for me as I carry golf bag most of the time and although I don't need much more space it sometimes is handy when needed. I guess I'll go take a good look at the difference side by side at a dealer here.

My alternative is either a 520i or 530i as for the life of me could not stomach the tractor version! The thoughts of handing over additional money to Revenue for a petrol version puts me off that idea.

Regarding boot space, I can fit golf bag fold up trolley and shoes in my 330e, which is smaller boot. 370 litres compared to 410litres.

Does anyone know the 'F' desgination for these? Looking for some accessories and most have the F (eg F10 for the old 520D).

Does anyone know the 'F' desgination for these?

G30 saloon, G31 touring (same obviously apart from the rear end :D).

Kramer wrote: »
    G30 saloon, G31 touring (same obviously apart from the rear end :D).

I wish there was G31 hybrid!

wcooba wrote: »
    I wish there was G31 hybrid!

Tá sé ag teacht!

Ah - G21 (330e touring) was announced last summer and still no one is able to tell me when it will be available for order (some say April, some July, some next year - when PHEV incentives may be gone )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭whippet

wcooba wrote: »
    Ah - G21 (330e touring) was announced last summer and still no one is able to tell me when it will be available for order (some say April, some July, some next year - when PHEV incentives may be gone )

That is why I pulled the trigger on the G20 330e .. couldn’t wait for the tourer !

I thought this might be beneficial for any recent 530e owners - seems to be quite a few. Not surprised - great car :).

iTzv2iH.jpg
    G6IL0J2.jpg

I've been having my 530e treated to a monthly mini valet at my local BMW dealership while I have a complimentary biscuit & coffee :pac:.
    It's a service called BMW First & worth trying out for a few months for free.
    Benefits include 5c off per litre of petrol in CircleK & 2 washes per month (1 machine wash in CircleK approx €14 :eek:. I use that for another car).

Anyway, I'm picky & can't fault the mini valet so if anyone else wants to treat their 530e, use this link for an extra month free (for both of us).

BMW-First.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Guys, sorry to post this here but I did try to search...have my eye on a 530e but unfortunately can’t afford it right now and need to hold a few months. What’s the current affect of Brexit on imports? From Jan 31st, does it mean that VAT is also required?

Does importing still make sense in a couple of months from now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭User1998

Theres a transition period until the end of the year. No vat or customs until then. Even at that there will most likely be a trade deal and imports will continue. Not sure which way sterling will go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

User1998 wrote: »
    Theres a transition period until the end of the year. No vat or customs until then. Even at that there will most likely be a trade deal and imports will continue. Not sure which way sterling will go

Oh great news, so ruling out sterling fluctuations there is no real impact on importing from UK, NoX charge on the 530e is also minimal I believe?

Cona wrote: »
    Oh great news, so ruling out sterling fluctuations there is no real impact on importing from UK, NoX charge on the 530e is also minimal I believe?

Yes, no changes until December 31st, save for the NOx charge which should be very little on the 530e.
    Sterling - who knows but I think it will continue to strengthen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I thought this might be beneficial for any recent 530e owners - seems to be quite a few. Not surprised - great car :).

iTzv2iH.jpg
    G6IL0J2.jpg

I've been having my 530e treated to a monthly mini valet at my local BMW dealership while I have a complimentary biscuit & coffee :pac:.
    It's a service called BMW First & worth trying out for a few months for free.
    Benefits include 5c off per litre of petrol in CircleK & 2 washes per month (1 machine wash in CircleK approx €14 :eek:. I use that for another car).

Anyway, I'm picky & can't fault the mini valet so if anyone else wants to treat their 530e, use this link for an extra month free (for both of us).

BMW-First.

Can you drop in anytime or do you have to make an appointment? Have it but never actually availed of the mini valet yet.

Can you drop in anytime or do you have to make an appointment?

Appointment through the service department - a minute or two on the phone to pick an available time that suits.

Sticker price is the price. You might get 100or 200 but generally that's it. Bargaining ain't like it is here. The few of times ive done it I've asked them to change out a tyre or 2 or such, or fill the tank or such, but as a rule of thumb the price is generally the price.

Blub123 wrote:
    Sticker price is the price. You might get 100or 200 but generally that's it. Bargaining ain't like it is here. The few of times ive done it I've asked them to change out a tyre or 2 or such, or fill the tank or such, but as a rule of thumb the price is generally the price.

This is the second car I've bought in the uk (both Newcastle by coincidence).
    I did a bit of haggling on the ioniq and got a fairly good discount. I got nothing off the BMW

This is the second car I've bought in the uk (both Newcastle by coincidence).
    I did a bit of haggling on the ioniq and got a fairly good discount. I got nothing off the BMW
    Yea have bought two 5 series, an IS200, and a clk in the UK... Have got very little off sticker for any of them, max circa 200

• Advertisement

Some more dumb questions:
    • Are electric mirrors (as in folding the mirror flat for parking) an option on these?
    • When opening the doors the lights don't go on, is this a setting?

Had both of the above on my 2010 520D and can't figure it out on the 530E

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Paulmee

Some more dumb questions:
    • Are electric mirrors (as in folding the mirror flat for parking) an option on these?
    • When opening the doors the lights don't go on, is this a setting?

Had both of the above on my 2010 520D and can't figure it out on the 530E

Folding electric mirrors come as part of the Comfort pack
    Not sure about the lights

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bmwfan

The folding mirrors can also be selected as an option without the pack
    They are handy for tight spaces

What kind of real world km are 530e owners getting and has anyone noticed a decrease with battery age

bmwfan wrote: »
    What kind of real world km are 530e owners getting and has anyone noticed a decrease with battery age

Averaging ~8.5l per 100km. Only charge it in work.

Averaging ~8.5l per 100km

You must be enjoying it with lots of spirited driving in sports mode :pac:.
    I don't think I even averaged that on a 4,000 km trip through continental europe with much flat out autobahn fun :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

I've been tracking the economy on mine since I got it in Sept 2018. As of my last fill I've done 23,377.1km and used 829.04 litres giving a lifetime average of 3.55 litres per 100km.

Most of my driving during the week is on full electric. Good few long trips 400km+. The worst I've had from a tank of petrol is 7.5 l/100km, the best is 1.99 l/100km

ShaneOC wrote: »
    The worst I've had from a tank of petrol is 7.5 l/100km, the best is 1.99 l/100km

Just goes to show how it's impossible to rate PHEVs for efficiency, l/100km etc.
    Anywhere from 2l/100km to 10l/100km is possible, depending on usage pattern, driving style, regular commutes etc.

Still, I reckon most would be in the middle with an average of 5l/100km, which is good, especially if they're using their battery only range in urban areas (likely).

90% of 520d drivers would fare better in the 530e I reckon - just the long distance motorway cruisers would benefit from the diesel.

What distance are you getting on max battery

30km max.

What distance are you getting on max battery

Probably 30km winter to 45km summer would be a fair approximation on the pre '20 reg 530e (9.2kWh - new ones have 12kWh).
    Never much need for max battery mode - auto does a good enough job of battery/energy management.

Obviously, 130km/h on the motorway with heating at 30c will yield less :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭WacoKid

Hi

For what its worth...

I have been looking at the 530e from a private purchase and engine output perspective.

Basically the 530e engine is the same as the G30 520i but with the electric motor added to up the HP.

The 520i engine itself is just a detuned 530i engine, same size displacement, same size turbo.

You can easily remap a 520i up to a 530i.

With the 530e, if your battery is not charged you are basically driving a 520i around with an extra 200kg and smaller boot.

From a business perspective the 530e makes sense but as for private ownership I'm not seeing it. Also, 530e's seem to be depreciating a lot quicker than 520i's/530i's and for long term ownership it will be replaced by newer hybrid technology, leaving it unattractive to buyers 3-5 years from now.

My personal conclusion is get a 520i and remap it if you are a private buyer.

...or buy a 520d.

WacoKid wrote: »
    With the 530e, if your battery is not charged you are basically driving a 520i around with an extra 200kg and smaller boot.

Nope.
    Wrong.
    Incorrect.

:p

The full 252bhp is always available, unless you deliberately drive it in such a way as to keep the battery at its lowest state of charge. Even then, unless you're on a motorway, any deceleration or braking will invariably add charge to the battery, as will engaging battery save or sports mode.

You're seriously recommending a 520 diesel over a PHEV in an electric vehicle forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

If you dont charge it you have defeated the purpose of having it and as pointed out they dont drive the same way so I think you should test drive one, if you havent already.

From a business perspective the 530e makes sense but as for private ownership I'm not seeing it.

Why not for private ownership?
    Financially, it has cheaper tolls, cheaper tax, cheaper fuel costs and the electric drive experience/smoothness.

Whether you buy a 520i or a 530e is really just down to what type of driving you do. If you are doing hundreds of km's a day on motorways then the 530e is not the right choice.

... and for long term ownership it will be replaced by newer hybrid technology, leaving it unattractive to buyers 3-5 years from now.

Everything gets replaced with newer tech over time. Nothing new there. Not sure why you think the 530e is special or more prone in that regard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Hi

For what its worth...

I have been looking at the 530e from a private purchase and engine output perspective.

Basically the 530e engine is the same as the G30 520i but with the electric motor added to up the HP.

The 520i engine itself is just a detuned 530i engine, same size displacement, same size turbo.

You can easily remap a 520i up to a 530i.

From a business perspective the 530e makes sense but as for private ownership I'm not seeing it. Also, 530e's seem to be depreciating a lot quicker than 520i's/530i's and for long term ownership it will be replaced by newer hybrid technology, leaving it unattractive to buyers 3-5 years from now.

My personal conclusion is get a 520i and remap it if you are a private buyer.

...or buy a 520d.

Please share your facts and figures.

I would love to know.

Nope.
    Wrong.
    Incorrect.

:p

The full 252bhp is always available, unless you deliberately drive it in such a way as to keep the battery at its lowest state of charge. Even then, unless you're on a motorway, any deceleration or braking will invariably add charge to the battery, as will engaging battery save or sports mode.

You're seriously recommending a 520 diesel over a PHEV in an electric vehicle forum?

So if the battery is not charged you still have 252bhp always available. Thanks for clarifying.

I was comparing engine output not cost of ownership.

KCross wrote: »
    If you dont charge it you have defeated the purpose of having it and as pointed out they dont drive the same way so I think you should test drive one, if you havent already.

Why not for private ownership?
    Financially, it has cheaper tolls, cheaper tax, cheaper fuel costs and the electric drive experience/smoothness.

Whether you buy a 520i or a 530e is really just down to what type of driving you do. If you are doing hundreds of km's a day on motorways then the 530e is not the right choice.

Everything gets replaced with newer tech over time. Nothing new there. Not sure why you think the 530e is special or more prone in that regard?

It seems petrol G30's are holding their value better so this may negate any savings when looking to move it on.

kanuseeme wrote: »
    Please share your facts and figures.

I would love to know.

Can you be a bit more specific please

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Dagryl

You can get 430HP from 330e G20. I've seen a viedo on youtube, but it's in Polish.
    I would love to know if someone in Ireland can do proper chip tuning on F30 330e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,135 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I think everyone can agree that buying a plug-in hybrid that you're not going to plug in is stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Lumen wrote: »
    I think everyone can agree that buying a plug-in hybrid that you're going to plug in is stupid.

Huh? Typo or are you serious?

• Advertisement
Advertisement