Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any 530e owners out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

phill106 wrote: »
    Id say its a lovely motor. where did you get it from?

Got it from a BMW garage just south of London. Plenty of them on the Used section of the BMW UK Website.

Starting to get the hang of eDrive now. Was a bit concerned originally on the fuel economy front after driving her the across the UK for the ferry. Defo need to put her into the right mode every so often based on your planned trips etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Got things all wrapped up today. Charged me 5,375 euro.

I'd be appealing that!
    Popping a 3 month old 530e into the online calculator returns €4,400 odd.
    Yours is €1k higher & as it's at 14%, that would make any extras be valued at €7k, before any depreciation.

Seems very high to me...........no harm in appealing :).

Well wear again - great car :).

• Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I'd appeal it too, based on the VRT calculator value and the second hand value of optional extras on your car. Argue that half of the value of optional extras is written off the moment you drive away from the forecourt.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

unkel wrote: »
    A nearly new 520d SE from a BMW dealer in Ireland would be thousands more than that. Why do people still buy those yokes?

....the usual reason: there are no factories churning out s/hand cars, only new ones........

And, for 'you' to be able to buy them as OP is, someone else does actually have to buy them new............no omelettes without breaking eggs etc.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

I was comparing a second hand 530e with a second hand 520d

The latter costs more to buy than the former to be imported. And the former is so much the better car in every way. My question was why people still buy a 520d when they can have the 530e for less money?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

The latter costs more to buy than the former to be imported. And the former is so much the better car in every way. My question was why people still buy a 520d when they can have the 530e for less money?

520D is still cheaper to run on motorway?

Mike9832 wrote: »
    520D is still cheaper to run on motorway?

Funny how "discussions" start on boards..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

I'd appeal it too, based on the VRT calculator value and the second hand value of optional extras on your car. Argue that half of the value of optional extras is written off the moment you drive away from the forecourt.

I was thinking the same thing... although when I checked, there were 2 choices for 530e msport... and 2 choices for 530se. Seems strange.

In each case, the result were different - so it gives 2 different quotes for the same car based on whether you click the first option or the second option. On the car I checked, the difference was over €1k for both m sport and non m sport versions

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sheeprelate

nice car - is battery reliability and degradation a concern for owners? and are warranties on UK BMWs fully honored in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

nice car - is battery reliability and degradation a concern for owners? and are warranties on UK BMWs fully honored in Ireland?

Suprisingly for such a complicated machine reliability seems pretty good.

Battery degradation is a non issue, they are high life cells with low energy denaity, with 1/3 of a buffer keeping them in the golden range of lithium ( 20-80%)

They will last a long long time

Pretty cool cars to be fair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭manaboutdog

Got it from a BMW garage just south of London. Plenty of them on the Used section of the BMW UK Website.

Starting to get the hang of eDrive now. Was a bit concerned originally on the fuel economy front after driving her the across the UK for the ferry. Defo need to put her into the right mode every so often based on your planned trips etc.

I'm interested in one of these just had a look on there, two questions.

There seems to be a huge disparity on prices between cars of similar age, spec and mileage - for example would you be wary of going for this Feb '19 for £28k vs this Jan'19 for £38k?

Is there much room to haggle in general?

There seems to be a huge disparity on prices between cars of similar age, spec and mileage - for example would you be wary of going for this Feb '19 for £28k vs this Jan'19 for £38k?

There differences between those is somewhat explainable by the specs, i.e. the more expensive car has both the M-Sport Plus (20 inch wheels for example) and Comfort packs.

But the difference in prices for the same spec did concern me at first but it seems to have worked out ok, i.e. I went for a car in the lower end of that cost band.

Not a massive amount room for haggling - maybe 300 to 500. A mate did manage to get 1k but he is a wheeler dealer at heart.

Another quick one - if the car is registered in Feb 19, but the English plate is a 68, will it still get a 191 in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

its free to use https://totalcarcheck.co.uk/ put the UK reg into that, gives some details on the car, reg date, CO2 etc.

The date its registered is the date you will get here.

Feb 19. = 191

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bf

That one at £28k looks great value - should be under €37k landed for a 191

bf wrote: »
    That one at £28k looks great value - should be under €37k landed for a 191

Mileage is under 5k so VAT would also be applied though?

Mileage is under 5k so VAT would also be applied though?

It's only got 1k km on it! But I'm telling ya, it's a long drive from London to Holyhead. Just checked it on Google maps. Exactly 5k km :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭sk8board

I’d have the 530e too

Some reasons I can think of:
    - The 520d is a cast iron cult hero here since the infamous €156 annual tax on the ‘08. Even today it’s only €200 and 60mpg is a breeze.
    - Being a plug-in is an issue for sure. Some will be lazy and won’t want the home charger just now while the market evolves, others won’t have the facility to charge it by their house.
    - High-milers love their diesel. Petrol still has a name for high fuel bills

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Casati

It's only got 1k km on it! But I'm telling ya, it's a long drive from London to Holyhead. Just checked it on Google maps. Exactly 5k km :pac:

You buy it vat free so 20% off and then pay 23% vat here. It cheap isn’t it for a nice spec 2019, has the important split seats too. Check that you are happy with the boot space as it is tight

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭obriea3

Nice car to be fair.
    Can I ask if the instrument panel is fully digital and can you therefore change it to km....assuming it's in miles for the UK that is!

• Advertisement

obriea3 wrote: »
    Can I ask if the instrument panel is fully digital and can you therefore change it to km....assuming it's in miles for the UK that is!

Yes, fully digital, just change units to metric in the vehicle settings & Bob's yer uncle - kilometers abound!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭obriea3

Kramer wrote: »
    Yes, fully digital, just change units to metric in the vehicle settings & Bob's yer uncle - kilometers abound!

Cheers

I have started the process of documenting the evidence required for an appeal.

Firstly, is there any possibility that the price will increase, i.e. can the price actually increase?

Secondly, a good friend imported a virtually identical car and, having paid the VRT today, he paid quite a bit less than I did. The car was identically spec'd but was first registered in Nov 2019 (so 2 month older) and has just over 1,000 miles less on the clock. He is happy happy for me to use his receipt as evidence but the last thing I want is for him to be hit with an additional cost. So, building on the first question, is there any risk that he would be hit with an additional cost in the eventuality that he was under charged in error?

Firstly, is there any possibility that the price will increase, i.e. can the price actually increase?

Secondly, a good friend imported a virtually identical car and, having paid the VRT today, he paid quite a bit less than I did. The car was identically spec'd but was first registered in Nov 2019 (so 2 month older) and has just over 1,000 miles less on the clock. He is happy happy for me to use his receipt as evidence but the last thing I want is for him to be hit with an additional cost. So, building on the first question, is there any risk that he would be hit with an additional cost in the eventuality that he was under charged in error?

I don't think it can be increased as they would have no way of collecting any increased amount but I'd seek further assurance.
    Assuming you mean your friend reg'd a Nov 18 car, there would be a significant value difference between a 182 & 191 reg.
    Same plate in the UK but one would be a 2018 car here so command less.

Best of luck with it & enjoy the car. Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭Soarer

I'd wager there's zero chance of either of ye having to pay extra.
    You've both already paid, and both cars are now legally registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Now that you have the car a few weeks, how are you finding it? Economy wise how are you doing?

madds wrote: »
    Now that you have the car a few weeks, how are you finding it? Economy wise how are you doing?

The economy is ok. Day to day to work is entirely free as it's only a 8km trip each way. Have done an abnormally high number of trips half way down the country and it sits at around 5.0L/100km. I am far too inclined to floor it though as I can't resist the extra power for the 520D.

A mate got the guys of 1,000km out of full tank on his last fill up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

The economy is ok. Day to day to work is entirely free as it's only a 8km trip each way. Have done an abnormally high number of trips half way down the country and it sits at around 5.0L/100km. I am far too inclined to floor it though as I can't resist the extra power for the 520D.

A mate got the guys of 1,000km out of full tank on his last fill up.

Yes, that is what I am also worried about should I go one of these. Does my driving style suit this car.

I work from home 3 days a week.
    On the 2 days I travel to the office it's a 32km trip (30 min), 10m on the N4 and 15m on the M50 at 9am. Another 32km back typically done at 3pm in the afternoon so outside of heavy traffic, typically driving at 100km/h.
    The rest of my journeys during the week are local ones no more than 5km in length.
    At weekends I might have anywhere up to a 100km round trip for a sports team I coach.

I feel that the above weekly volume would suit the 530e but would welcome opinions from others. Thanks!

I have stretched just over 600km out of a full tank. As I said though, I am doing more longer journeys than I would have expected or would typically do. I defo need to get a a charger installed at home though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 EVenthusiast

Hi, I've just caught up on this thread as have a potential interest in a 530e myself.

Is anyone up-to-speed on the VRT end? When I check say a late 2018 model versus an early 2019 model its giving me estimates of c.€2.2k (2018) and c.€3.1k (2019) - reason I ask is due to the figure quoted by jesus_thats_gre of +€5.3k which seems wildly different.

Does the M-Sport Plus pack increase the VRT band any on this car i.e. upgrade to the 20" wheels?

Finally does anyone know if youd be liable for the full VAT if its below 6,000kms at point of VRT what I've read is that VAT is applied in full regardless that its already paid elsewhere.

I presume if it came to it I could buy one and ask the dealer to make sure there's more miles on it when I come to collect it?

Thanks in advance

Advertisement