Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any 530e owners out there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

Ricey3509 wrote: »
    very impressed and can't wait to get it home.

Well wear :).

What colour? Spec? Any packages on it - tech/comfort etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Ricey3509

Kramer wrote: »
    Well wear :).

What colour? Spec? Any packages on it - tech/comfort etc.?

It’s Bluestone MSport (my favourite colour , not everyone’s taste!) with a slightly unusual spec in that it has all the MSport plus extras except for HK (which doesn’t bother me). It has the tech pack and parking assistance plus as well. A couple of extras it has that not having would have been close to deal breakers were split folding seats and folding mirrors. Tbh I was amazed that these weren’t standard. It doesn’t have memory seats which l would have liked but ticks all the boxes for me apart from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Bluestone is a colour which doesn’t look great in pics but looks fantastic in real life. One is parked up by me that makes me drool every time I see it.
    Hoping to do similar to yourself shortly. Best of luck with it.

It’s Bluestone MSport (my favourite colour , not everyone’s taste!) with a slightly unusual spec in that it has all the MSport plus extras except for HK (which doesn’t bother me). It has the tech pack and parking assistance plus as well. A couple of extras it has that not having would have been close to deal breakers were split folding seats and folding mirrors. Tbh I was amazed that these weren’t standard. It doesn’t have memory seats which l would have liked but ticks all the boxes for me apart from that.

Assume from the UK reg, that you bought the car in the UK? I know the process for the UK purchase and import is well documented somewhere round here but I haven't seen one recently. Any tips advice? What method did you use to pay and get the car home etc

I actually bought from an Irish dealer so they are responsible for paying the VRT. I have to wait for the NCT to reopen before they can VRT it and get an Irish reg on it. I spoke to the dealer today and he said he’s hopeful they’ll open soon. Dealers usually rely on a mobile service where the NCT guys go to the dealership and do the VRT inspections in bulk. IMHO if servicing is allowed then no reason why they can’t do the on site VRT inspections. He told me he’s got 8 cars sold awaiting VRT and about 40 in stock. It’s a big money spinner for the govt so you’d think they would fast track it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,710 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It’s a big money spinner for the govt so you’d think they would fast track it

Not really. The govt gets feck all in VRT for a PHEV / EV compared to a diesel.

unkel wrote: »
    Not really. The govt gets feck all in VRT for a PHEV / EV compared to a diesel.

True but my point was referring to VRT in general not the specific VRT on a PHEV/EV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 Irishweather2

I actually bought from an Irish dealer so they are responsible for paying the VRT. I have to wait for the NCT to reopen before they can VRT it and get an Irish reg on it. I spoke to the dealer today and he said he’s hopeful they’ll open soon. Dealers usually rely on a mobile service where the NCT guys go to the dealership and do the VRT inspections in bulk. IMHO if servicing is allowed then no reason why they can’t do the on site VRT inspections. He told me he’s got 8 cars sold awaiting VRT and about 40 in stock. It’s a big money spinner for the govt so you’d think they would fast track it

Do you mind sharing which dealer it was? Im considering going down the same route but would prefer to have someone else sort all the paperwork etc and just pick up the car ready to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Do you mind sharing which dealer it was? Im considering going down the same route but would prefer to have someone else sort all the paperwork etc and just pick up the car ready to go.

Also curious about this route myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I had considered going with a Dundalk based garage:

https://www.autoassure.ie/

I opted to do it myself as I found the spec I wanted while talking to him but I was very close to getting him to source my 530e.

I have known the guy who owns the garage for 20 odd years, know plenty of people who he sourced cars for, and he has a very good reputation.

Other than that, I have absolutely no affiliation with the garage or the owner.

• Advertisement

I had considered going with a Dundalk based garage:

https://www.autoassure.ie/

I opted to do it myself as I found the spec I wanted while talking to him but I was very close to getting him to source my 530e.

I have known the guy who owns the garage for 20 odd years, know plenty of people who he sourced cars for, and he has a very good reputation.

Other than that, I have absolutely no affiliation with the garage or the owner.

Cheers for that. Are you still likely to save money when having someone else source the car? Is there some 'finders fee' also to consider?
    Overall how did you find the experience of doing it yourself? Worth the effort or not?

Overall how did you find the experience of doing it yourself? Worth the effort or not?

Many personally import every day, without issue. Some even enjoy the whole process, the sourcing the car in the UK, travelling over & driving back etc.
    A good proportion of regular posters here in the EV forum have personally imported.

There's even less "risk" dealing with a very reputable BMW dealership & almost new car, such as the 530e, still under factory warranty etc.

Many personally import every day, without issue. Some even enjoy the whole process, the sourcing the car in the UK, travelling over & driving back etc.
    A good proportion of regular posters here in the EV forum have personally imported.

There's even less "risk" dealing with a very reputable BMW dealership & almost new car, such as the 530e, still under factory warranty etc.

Aye, have been reading alot of the EV threads and regular motoring forum but I suppose the thing I'd be worried about the most is being sold a lemon and having no leg to stand on, so a factory warranty would be ideal.

Think I'll just have to bite the bullet eventually 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭SummerK

Aye, have been reading alot of the EV threads and regular motoring forum but I suppose the thing I'd be worried about the most is being sold a lemon and having no leg to stand on, so a factory warranty would be ideal.

Think I'll just have to bite the bullet eventually ��
    If possible get RAC Check done even if you're buying from a main dealer. If RAC report is good then you can get car transported if you do not want to travel to UK. You may buy an extended warranty once factory 3 year warranty is over for like 600 euros per year.

SummerK wrote: »
    If possible get RAC Check done even if you're buying from a main dealer. If RAC report is good then you can get car transported if you do not want to travel to UK. You may buy an extended warranty once factory 3 year warranty is over for like 600 euros per year.

Thanks for the tip!

Just to add to the previous posters points, I would certainly advocate buying from the UK yourself, I did it myself a year or so ago and it was a very straight forward process (just make sure you get the V5!). I bought from a BMW main dealer and tbh it was painless and I saved a lot of money in the process (exchange rate was very much in our favour). I did a history check myself on the car and got the dealer to take loads of hi res photo's and a couple of video's of the car before going ahead with the deal.

I'd suggest setting up a search with your spec on auto trader and keep an eye on the BMW approved site for anything matching your desired spec.

The only reason I'm not doing it this time round is because I've a trade in.

Just to add to the previous posters points, I would certainly advocate buying from the UK yourself, I did it myself a year or so ago and it was a very straight forward process (just make sure you get the V5!). I bought from a BMW main dealer and tbh it was painless and I saved a lot of money in the process (exchange rate was very much in our favour). I did a history check myself on the car and got the dealer to take loads of hi res photo's and a couple of video's of the car before going ahead with the deal.

I'd suggest setting up a search with your spec on auto trader and keep an eye on the BMW approved site for anything matching your desired spec.

Thanks. Did you go to UK or got car shipped?

Thanks. Did you go to UK or got car shipped?

Got it shipped by NVD

So you didn't travel to see the car in person before purchasing? All done via pictures/videos?
    Hope you don't mind me asking but what method of payment did you use/would you recommend?

So you didn't travel to see the car in person before purchasing? All done via pictures/videos?
    Hope you don't mind me asking but what method of payment did you use/would you recommend?

Yep - the fact I was buying from a main dealer gave me peace of mind. I used TransferWise but there are other options as well like Revolut etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

I am in the process of buying a 4th car from the U.K, from a BMW dealer, just from the website its only a year old and 11 000 miles on it.

My first car, I got from a large dealer and the other 2, I paid a guy to buy one car from auction and the other from a small dealer who he lived near.

All delivered.

I used transfermate to exchange and send to the U.K, I don't know how they compare to others.

Biggest pain I had was selling my last car, It sold fast enough but I got paid in cash and was worried having so much in the house over night.

Its not hard to do, but there are always some worries involved, even the guy I got to buy the cars, I had contacted him 2 years before and did not use him, until I wanted to buy at British car auctions.

I did a little exercise earlier today on the drogheda dealer mentioned a few posts back , cannot find the car now on autotrader.uk but I allowed 1350 euro for to go and collect a BMW 330e same spec as on the dealers website and saved 5000 euro compared to his price.

I know he has rates, prsi and what not, but I would purchase in the U.K if I saved only 500 euro.

kanuseeme wrote: »
    I am in the process of buying a 4th car from the U.K, from a BMW dealer, just from the website its only a year old and 11 000 miles on it.

My first car, I got from a large dealer and the other 2, I paid a guy to buy one car from auction and the other from a small dealer who he lived near.

All delivered.

I used transfermate to exchange and send to the U.K, I don't know how they compare to others.

Biggest pain I had was selling my last car, It sold fast enough but I got paid in cash and was worried having so much in the house over night.

Its not hard to do, but there are always some worries involved, even the guy I got to buy the cars, I had contacted him 2 years before and did not use him, until I wanted to buy at British car auctions.

I did a little exercise earlier today on the drogheda dealer mentioned a few posts back , cannot find the car now on autotrader.uk but I allowed 1350 euro for to go and collect a BMW 330e same spec as on the dealers website and saved 5000 euro compared to his price.

I know he has rates, prsi and what not, but I would purchase in the U.K if I saved only 500 euro.

Well I've definitely got alot to consider so thank you all for the tips and experience sharing!

Think I'll just have to bite the bullet eventually ��

I'll sell you mine if you ultimately prefer to buy locally :pac:.

Good to see the recent map updates available & easily installed by the owner, with no dealer visit necessary. As far as I know, these updates should auto-install OTA with zero owner effort needed, like Tesla, but maybe not implemented here yet.

Anyway, January 2020 update installed easily & I've already noticed some very nice new 3D buildings & POIs etc.

In our Ioniq for example, a dealer visit is required for any updates & dealers are reticent to update anything - maps could be 3 years out of date & they won't update unless coerced.

eniOX0f.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

You can have mine too. I've two cars sitting outside the house and in the last 2 months they've only done about 50 km between them:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

You can have mine too. I've two cars sitting outside the house and in the last 2 months they've only done about 50 km between them:(

Was just thinking the same thing. And I renewed my insurance at the end of April. I haven't even done 50km since lockdown started

Just a quick update, looks like I’ll be able to pick the car up on Friday week, can’t wait now!

Just a quick update, looks like I’ll be able to pick the car up on Friday week, can’t wait now!

Very good. Is yours 2019 car? How much did you pay.

Very good. Is yours 2019 car? How much did you pay.

It was 40k asking price, it’s (or will be) a 192 plate. I had a trade in and l was happy with the cost to change

• Advertisement

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0308529EN/the-new-bmw-5-series?language=en

LCI 5 Series. A new 545e model coming in the autumn. Combined system output: 290 kW/394 hp, max. combined torque: 600 Nm (442 lb-ft). Electric range: 54 – 57 km.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    Was just thinking the same thing. And I renewed my insurance at the end of April. I haven't even done 50km since lockdown started

Are these all 530e that you are volunteering to get rid of?

fifth wrote: »
    https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0308529EN/the-new-bmw-5-series?language=en

LCI 5 Series. A new 545e model coming in the autumn. Combined system output: 290 kW/394 hp, max. combined torque: 600 Nm (442 lb-ft). Electric range: 54 – 57 km.

Posted months ago - I call for an immediate forum wide ban for your duplicate post :D.
    New 6 cylinder going into the G30 (5 series) PHEV, boosting power to almost 400hp. Will boast a 0-100km/h of sub 5 seconds.

Will be designated the 545e.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/04/02/2020-bmw-545e-plug-in-hybrid-with-394-horsepower-coming-with-5-series-facelift/
    New facelift due soon.......

ZhsevOj.jpg
    f9GnYom.jpg

I don't know, I think I slightly prefer the current shape.........

:pac::p:p

Mine was the official announcement, not a leak ;)

mickdw wrote: »

I thought you already had a 530e? Are you looking to get rid of it too?
    :eek:

I was only joking as I'm more than happy with the 530e. I think the other posters commented from a sense of frustration, as their cars are likely unused due to some kind of bug that may be going around.

:)

Mine was the official announcement, not a leak ;)

Doubt we'll see many of these on a 202 plate - not great timing for BMW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I thought you already had a 530e? Are you looking to get rid of it too?
    :eek:

I was only joking as I'm more than happy with the 530e. I think the other posters commented from a sense of frustration, as their cars are likely unused due to some kind of bug that may be going around.

:)

No. I didnt get it .... yet. Had deposit down on late 18 car at main dealer in uk but car was shoddy as hell.
    Kinda wary at the moment with economy but will likely go ahead now shortly.

Doubt we'll see many of these on a 202 plate - not great timing for BMW.

Was thinking the same..

The main draw for me would be the new 545e engine but it's not going to be available until the end of the year. I reckon the updated styling will be prove to be more divisive too (new skoda-ish lights, and that awful new bumper on the SE :confused:). The current G30 is a handsome car with an interior that is almost identical to the LCI, and also got the iDrive 7 upgrade in 192.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭djivide_

Was thinking the same..

The main draw for me would be the new 545e engine but it's not going to be available until the end of the year. I reckon the updated styling will be prove to be more divisive too (new skoda-ish lights, and that awful new bumper on the SE :confused:). The current G30 is a handsome car with an interior that is almost identical to the LCI, and also got the iDrive 7 upgrade in 192.

Engine / power train will be the same as the 745e and x5 45e ( which I have ), fantastic engine and serious power when you put down the foot. Went from 530d xdrive which was stolen to the x5 and have been delighted. claimed range of 80km but get somewhere in the 55-65 km on electric which suits me fine as my commute would normally be a 60km round trip. just over 3k km on it and just put the 3rd fill in. most was used while waiting for home chage point install. Id expect something in the 40km real use range from the 545e

As for styling I would always ignore the se styling, never liked it on any of the cars in the past 10+ years would be msport or not at all for me personally.

BMW Ireland have updated their website with Lci 5 series but prices are not up yet.

https://www.bmw.ie/en/all-models/5-series/sedan/2020/highlights.html

mickdw wrote: »
    Yes. I'd sell mine in a flash. And then buy another later in the year before Brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Yes. I'd sell mine in a flash. And then buy another later in the year before Brexit.

Ha, thinking along the same lines myself ;)

Sell it while there is still a year or so left on that BMW warranty.

Why do you want to sell now and buy another one later in this year?

Ha, thinking along the same lines myself ;)

Sell it while there is still a year or so left on that BMW warranty.

Well it was registered by BMW on the 31st December 2018 so it's technically under warranty until 2022!

Why do you want to sell now and buy another one later in this year?

We've two cars outside the house with the only journey being the weekly supermarket shop! I don't see that changing anytime soon.

It also might be a good time to sell as it's impractical to import from the UK at the moment so there's probably increased demand for Irish cars.

I'll be buying the same again as it's a perfect car for me. All my routine driving is 100% electric and if I go on holidays or something then it become a 520i with added oomph!

It also might be a good time to sell as it's impractical to import from the UK at the moment so there's probably increased demand

I thought it’s good time to import 530e from UK as sterling is down.

I thought it’s good time to import 530e from UK as sterling is down.

Can you travel to the UK though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,710 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You don't need to travel to bring a car in. Specialised companies can pick up a car from anywhere in the UK and deliver it to anywhere in Ireland from around EUR400, incl. VAT

One thing I don't like about the 5 series is the front face. I would change the front grill to the black one instead of the which I have seen on a few (M Sport performance??) and think it looks great...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,217 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

unkel wrote: »
    You don't need to travel to bring a car in. Specialised companies can pick up a car from anywhere in the UK and deliver it to anywhere in Ireland from around EUR400, incl. VAT
    Not doubting you for a second, but who are these companies?
    I was trying to get cars imported from the UK in the past and ended up getting a guy from a classic forum in the UK to do some jobs as a nixer bringing stuff over and back for me because no company here did it.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Not doubting you for a second, but who are these companies?
    I was trying to get cars imported from the UK in the past and ended up getting a guy from a classic forum in the UK to do some jobs as a nixer bringing stuff over and back for me because no company here did it.

Eirtrans are a name I've heard thrown around quite a bit. Prices seem to be around €400.

• Advertisement
Advertisement